Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

That's the one, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Trying to remember a 90s sci-fi flying shooter game that was on dos or windows.
It was like Terminal Velocity where you are not in space but had a bit better graphics but same terrible draw distance. You could have the camera behind the ship or inside it but there was no cockpit just hud icons. The main feature I remember about it was you could destroy the ground and dig trenches out of the hills by shooting at the ground lots.

Flannelette fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Sep 2, 2020

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Crackmaster posted:

I'm not familiar with the game, but poking around Dave Fennoy's credits on MobyGames I stumbled across Assassin 2015:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JK6zqr3H0rc

It's not on rails, as far as I can tell, but it's got the actor in question, it's set in a building full of robots, and those cutscenes have quite a...distinctive look to them, especially the character models.

It may as well have been on rails. That was the shittiest FPS I'd ever played. You just walked forward and shot things and watched terrible cutscenes. Oh my god that game sucked.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Flannelette posted:

It was like Terminal Velocity where you are not in space but had a bit better graphics but same terrible draw distance. You could have the camera behind the ship or inside it but there was no cockpit just hud icons. The main feature I remember about it was you could destroy the ground and dig trenches out of the hills by shooting at the ground lots.

Sounds voxel-based, maybe one of these?

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

No it wasn't full voxel destruction, you could just make the ground change height and it smoothed it out so you could make holes trenches but not dig under the ground.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Flannelette posted:

I am ninety percent certain this is Starfighter 3000. I played that game as a kid and marveled at the fact that you could change the terrain. This is the PC version, but I think it originated on Amiga and was later released on PSX and Saturn as well.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Yes! that's it thanks.

The sound track is a bit more worrying than I remember.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vX6PmehsGM

Flannelette fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Sep 2, 2020

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
drat, I got really excited to answer another one. I played the demo of that from PC Gamer as a kid, and would just tootle around for hours obliterating mountains and digging holes

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Flannelette posted:

Yes! that's it thanks.

The sound track is a bit more worrying than I remember.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vX6PmehsGM

Legit, I wanted to ask in my first post if the words "death by stereo" meant anything to you because that's the first thing that pops into my mind when I think of that game. Well, that and the fact that different platforms had wildly different backstories. In one version, you were fighting in an intergalactic war. In another (the Amiga version, I think) you were performing as a pilot in a reality tv-show. All of them had terrible German techno on the soundtrack.

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010
Trying to find two games. Both are PC.
RTS I played in the early 2010s, maybe around 2012? It was fairly old at the time, I think earliest possible release date would have been 2000. The gameplay wasn't great, the only part I really remember is that you had a swarm of little drones that would go out and build stuff for you, or you could use them to gently caress with the terrain. I spent ages on the maps I played just telling them to harvest all the dirt around the enemy camp so they were left with no place to build, or building an impassably tall wall encircling their camp.
It was full 3d, I don't remember much other than brown. Lots and lots of brown. Pretty sure the name was a single word.

The other was an RPG, it ran like absolute dogshit. Same timeframe as the first game. You could pick from six or eight characters to play as, and one was a huge lizard man that lagged my computer to death. Full 3d, I have absolutely no other info because the game ran for maybe eight minutes before it would choke itself to death and crash to desktop.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

What kind of rpg? First person, turn based, solo or party?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Pogonodon posted:

Trying to find two games. Both are PC.
RTS I played in the early 2010s, maybe around 2012? It was fairly old at the time, I think earliest possible release date would have been 2000. The gameplay wasn't great, the only part I really remember is that you had a swarm of little drones that would go out and build stuff for you, or you could use them to gently caress with the terrain. I spent ages on the maps I played just telling them to harvest all the dirt around the enemy camp so they were left with no place to build, or building an impassably tall wall encircling their camp.
It was full 3d, I don't remember much other than brown. Lots and lots of brown. Pretty sure the name was a single word.
Perimeter.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Pogonodon posted:

The other was an RPG, it ran like absolute dogshit. Same timeframe as the first game. You could pick from six or eight characters to play as, and one was a huge lizard man that lagged my computer to death. Full 3d, I have absolutely no other info because the game ran for maybe eight minutes before it would choke itself to death and crash to desktop.
Shot in the dark here but:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vk6aAq5zvpk

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010

al-azad posted:

What kind of rpg? First person, turn based, solo or party?

Third person, I genuinely don't know beyond that because it wouldn't run for any real length of time.

ToxicFrog posted:

Perimeter.

YES! I can finally buy another copy, thank you.

Unfortunately, no, definitely not this. I'm pretty sure the crappy game didn't have pixel graphics but I'm not 100% positive. It's a very faint memory and I felt like throwing it out there.

edit: It definitely wasn't an MMO

Pogonodon fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Sep 3, 2020

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Pogonodon posted:

Total guess, but maybe Gothic? That definitely had a LOT of euro jank.

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010
It doesn't seem to be Gothic, though that is tickling my brain a bit, so it may have been similar? Sorry I don't have any more clues.
I've been going through storage boxes of old stuff for a while but haven't ever found anything, it may just have to remain a vague memory :(

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011
Could it be dungeon lords?
https://store.steampowered.com/app/271760/Dungeon_Lords_Steam_Edition/

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Pogonodon posted:

It doesn't seem to be Gothic, though that is tickling my brain a bit, so it may have been similar? Sorry I don't have any more clues.
I've been going through storage boxes of old stuff for a while but haven't ever found anything, it may just have to remain a vague memory :(

Soulbringer, a lovely early 3D game that anyone only remembers because it got bundled with Planescape Torment at one point?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1P5B5YRCTQ

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Pogonodon posted:

Giants: Citizen Kabuto would fit the timeframe and the fact that the giant lizard levels would probably murder a slower PC back then. But it was an action adventure sorta thing.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
You could also only really pick from three characters, one was simply represented as a squad of three or four.

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010
I finally found my copy! Mage Knight: Apocalypse. It's not great but it does run now.

zombieman
Aug 8, 2003

That's one happy fucking egg!
Trying to remember the name of a Kingdom Of Loathing style browser game I used to play. It was set in a small town, and started in a school. I'm pretty sure 2 of the locations you could visit were a junkyard/dump and a bakery.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Looking for the name of a game that was absolutely crap, which is why I barely remember it.

Some kind of Sci-Fi FPS (and possibly RPG) game, also possibly made by people who made another similar open-worldy game with the same kind of setup in modern times.

I think you visited various planets, but they weren't super varied. You ended up either going on a treasure hunt or you always were on one, with a guy and gal in your spaceship, and the game just ended there, like they forgot to make the other half of the game or something. It was most likely translated from another language (German? Eastern Euro of some kind?).

I wish I could mention more about it, other than the fact I think there were quests to do. I legit can't recall what was going on in the game because it was so forgettable.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Sep 14, 2020

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Sounds like it's probably Precursors, which was the sci-fi flavored version of famous jankfests Boiling Point and Xenus II: White Gold.

Here's a playlist of a funny youtube man covering all three.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
PC educational game from the 80's. It wasn't really gamey, mostly a bunch of lessons on how computer hardware works with the occasional q/a and like one or two mini-games. Simple EGA graphics with not a lot of animation or sound effects.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

John Murdoch posted:

Sounds like it's probably Precursors, which was the sci-fi flavored version of famous jankfests Boiling Point and Xenus II: White Gold.

Here's a playlist of a funny youtube man covering all three.

Very probably true. I don't remember half of the stuff I am seeing but I do remember that one crappy desert town vividly.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

A 90s shareware-era xenon/1942 type shooter I think, the memorable bit was the sample in the intro:

the last tree in the rainforest was cut down today. A spokesman for the Acme Toothpick Company said 'aww. That's too bad'

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
I remember that, probably Raptor?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Chubby Henparty posted:

A 90s shareware-era xenon/1942 type shooter I think, the memorable bit was the sample in the intro:

the last tree in the rainforest was cut down today. A spokesman for the Acme Toothpick Company said 'aww. That's too bad'

Galactix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHLzJynuBEg

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Less of a game, more of an edutainment software about space. I remember a couple features: it had a gravity comparison tool where you selected a planet and then an astronaut jumped, showing how high his jumps could be in the selected planet; if you selected a gaseous planet the dude just fell to his death :rip: it also had a celestial vault simulator, where you could input current location and date and it would show you the stars you could see at the moment.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Shine posted:

Galactix

Thanks!

Beezle
Oct 19, 2008

Happy Steve Perry Day!
What up! Trying to find a game from the mid 90s, probably on the Amiga, which was a turn based top-down alien/monster footballesque sports game. Like mutant league games youd have different combos of monsters that were good or bad at certain things, like a frog that could move really far but couldn't hold the ball for poo poo. Also you could give your team performance enhancing drugs between matches. Any ideas?

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Beezle posted:

What up! Trying to find a game from the mid 90s, probably on the Amiga, which was a turn based top-down alien/monster footballesque sports game. Like mutant league games youd have different combos of monsters that were good or bad at certain things, like a frog that could move really far but couldn't hold the ball for poo poo. Also you could give your team performance enhancing drugs between matches. Any ideas?

Maybe Brutal Sports Football? No frog but it had lizards.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Beezle posted:

Complete guess but is it M.U.D.S. aka Mean Ugly Dirty Sport?

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Sep 22, 2020

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Beezle posted:

Not Amiga but Crush Deluxe fits this description. It wasn't performance enhancing drugs though, but "illegal equipment" you could buy for players to boost them.

Beezle
Oct 19, 2008

Happy Steve Perry Day!
Yes! Crush Deluxe, that's the one. Thanks, that was proper doing my head in!

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Beezle posted:

Yes! Crush Deluxe, that's the one. Thanks, that was proper doing my head in!

That's the second or third time I've answered that one :)

Edit: I'm trying to remember a side scrolling game on pc from the late 80s or early 90s.

Player character was a person in a space suit. I think it took place on the moon but there were trees (?) and there enemies were birds. Had classical music for the soundtrack.

Had EGA graphics and I keep thinking of Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure but it's definitely earlier and less detailed than that. Was almost certainly shareware we got from a magazine because buying new games was very rare for me then.

Quote-Unquote fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Sep 22, 2020

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Quote-Unquote posted:

Edit: I'm trying to remember a side scrolling game on pc from the late 80s or early 90s.

Player character was a person in a space suit. I think it took place on the moon but there were trees (?) and there enemies were birds. Had classical music for the soundtrack.

Had EGA graphics and I keep thinking of Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure but it's definitely earlier and less detailed than that. Was almost certainly shareware we got from a magazine because buying new games was very rare for me then.
The Adventures of Captain Comic?

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Quote-Unquote posted:

It probably wasn't Thexder II: Firehawk but you had a humanoid battle mode and it made heavy use of the Moonlight Sonata.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

pumpinglemma posted:

The Adventures of Captain Comic?

Yeah this is it, cheers!