Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

W.T. Fits posted:

Speaking as someone who grew up speaking English as my native tongue, this is all an absolutely fair and correct assessment. :hmmyes:

I forget where, but sometime either in high school or college, I heard it said that English doesn't borrow words from other languages, it drags other languages into dark alleys, beats them up, then rifles through their pockets looking for loose grammar.
I could have sworn it was Pratchett (it's got that bite that a lot of his writing does), but apparently it was James Nicoll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
im into some pretty obscure languages; youve probably never heard of them

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Princess and 10VG being instant friends is the highlight of this page for me.

BlancoNino
Apr 26, 2010
Square Angel absolutely kills me as a nickname

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Mr. Lobe posted:

What's a good language

Culture Marain

Universal Metaconstant

other fictional sublime languages etc.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~

Zero_Tactility posted:

I could have sworn it was Pratchett (it's got that bite that a lot of his writing does), but apparently it was James Nicoll.

I sit corrected. It's late, I can't be bothered to stand.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

W.T. Fits posted:

Speaking as someone who grew up speaking English as my native tongue, this is all an absolutely fair and correct assessment. :hmmyes:

I forget where, but sometime either in high school or college, I heard it said that English doesn't borrow words from other languages, it drags other languages into dark alleys, beats them up, then rifles through their pockets looking for loose grammar.

I object to this, because English doesn't steal grammar, it steals vocabulary (which the original quote gets correct). If anything modern English is simpler than Old English because it was butchered by various waves of invaders.

No one needs to know whether or not a table has testicles or a vagina.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
I imagine princess is going to give up learning that move once 10VG goes into all the slow tedious energy-conserving you have to do to build up that attack.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

A.o.D. posted:

I object to this, because English doesn't steal grammar, it steals vocabulary (which the original quote gets correct). If anything modern English is simpler than Old English because it was butchered by various waves of invaders.

I get your meaning but you uh might want to edit that

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Benagain posted:

There are no good languages, because a good language would be easy to learn and understand. It would promote concepts of harmony and understanding and bless the tongues of those who spoke it with care and precision.

We live in a universe ruled by the sword. The languages we have must cleave our thoughts into rough hewn shapes and spew them forth upon friend and foe alike. They breed misunderstanding and discord because that is how things have been ordained.

Strong disagree.

All languages are good, because the problem of the universe is excessive order, quiet, and stagnation. Chaos in a language is the accelerant of creativity, and the tension between our desire to be understood with the energy it takes to be understood forges bonds between us far stronger than we would have without that friction, tension, heat.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Mr. Lobe posted:

What's a good language

Finnish :finland:

it is not

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Finnish :finland:

it is not
I have seen entire treatises in the Newspaper Comics threads trying to explain the wordplay in a single Fingerpori comic.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Perkele.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Brought To You By posted:

See, I didn't read it that way because up until Allison and White Chain start talking there isn't any indication Allison has been conscious between her landing in the fight white chain was in, and when she wakes up in White Chain's apartment. I figured the "3 turns" refers to the time since Allison woke. On top of that White Chain in this new page doesn't even seem to register that Allison is speaking the same language she would have heard Allision speaking in the first chapter. :shrug: I just figured Angels had an implicit understanding of the languages of creation and Allison was the only one who needed a translator.

Maybe this?

The comic switches from Allison's perspective (where she's speaking English and everybody else in Throne is unintelligible) on 1-12 to White Chain's perspective (where everybody is speaking Universal Metaconstant) on 1-13.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
It's not so much that English is impossible to learn, it's just tougher than Germanic or Romance languages due to the influence of both. Also, it depends on what you're starting with - a native Francophone would very likely find it much easier to learn English than Korean, for instance. Meanwhile someone from Beijing would almost certainly find learning Cantonese much easier than learning English or any European language.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

A.o.D. posted:

you don't know my life

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

A.o.D. posted:

Is pluralization grammar? I’ve seen too many fights about proper pluralization in English that came down to “the word is from Greek so you use the Greek pluralization” to let that go by.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Oh, I'm also looking forward to seeing how Lord Intra manages to turn the rock into air in the next verse of the Song of Maybe.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh man Team Dumbass. :3:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Throws it at Yem Yeddo's head so hard that it atomizes both the rock and Yem Yeddo's head.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

standard.deviant posted:

Is pluralization grammar? I’ve seen too many fights about proper pluralization in English that came down to “the word is from Greek so you use the Greek pluralization” to let that go by.

The actual weirdest piece of English stuff I can think of is verb conjugation, for example take present tense of 'to run'

I run
You run
They run
We run
She runs

The third person singular present has its own unique case, which is pretty odd given how uniform the rest is. AFAIK this, like the weird ways that English uses "do" e.g. "I do run" are both results of the Germanic and Celtic languages awkwardly colliding during the formative years of Old English.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

You can't upvote posts but you can empty quote them. Hail Satan.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

habeasdorkus posted:

It's not so much that English is impossible to learn, it's just tougher than Germanic or Romance languages due to the influence of both. Also, it depends on what you're starting with - a native Francophone would very likely find it much easier to learn English than Korean, for instance. Meanwhile someone from Beijing would almost certainly find learning Cantonese much easier than learning English or any European language.
English is fine, stuff like a syntax based on subject, verb, object makes it relatively similar to a large number of other languages (and just makes more sense imo). I also wouldn't agree about how easy it is to learn a particular language based on stuff like historical or physical proximity. It's why when you look at translations of stuff like Japanese vs Chinese serial fiction, the floor for Japanese translations is so much lower. Chinese is much more similar in structure to English than it is to Japanese.

Also Cantonese and Mandarin are distinct languages only because they're not mutually intelligible at all, but so long as you can read traditional Chinese the content of the language in the form of individual words and grammar and syntax are identical outside of stuff like local idioms and phrases.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Tulip posted:

The actual weirdest piece of English stuff I can think of is verb conjugation, for example take present tense of 'to run'

I run
You run
They run
We run
She runs

The third person singular present has its own unique case, which is pretty odd given how uniform the rest is. AFAIK this, like the weird ways that English uses "do" e.g. "I do run" are both results of the Germanic and Celtic languages awkwardly colliding during the formative years of Old English.

ill counter with the word "fly"

its a bug
its a part of a pair of pants
its the present form of a verb meaning "traveling through the air"

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Tulip posted:

I run
You run
They run
We run
She runs

English also does weird things with verb tenses. Past tense is fine, but future tense just adds extra words as modifiers. I will run. I'm going to run. If it was like a romance language it would be like... I runera?

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Crossposting from cspam pics thread cause it seems pretty germane

https://i.imgur.com/YITOSS4.mp4

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Zaid asking if Allison is okay first thing is a promising start.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Xand_Man posted:

Crossposting from cspam pics thread cause it seems pretty germane

https://i.imgur.com/YITOSS4.mp4

Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
That example is dumb because nobody has ever used buffalo as a verb I will die on this hill

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Brought To You By posted:

See, I didn't read it that way because up until Allison and White Chain start talking there isn't any indication Allison has been conscious between her landing in the fight white chain was in, and when she wakes up in White Chain's apartment. I figured the "3 turns" refers to the time since Allison woke.

:eng101: She says "I've been feeding you a little liquor for three turns", not "I fed you a little liquor three turns ago". The use of a continuous tense implies a continuous action. Therefore, she gave devil liquor to Allison several times.

That said, maybe as an angel she understands all languages, but not sure that extends to speaking all of them. Regardless of her reasons, she found out that Allison didn't speak ascended speech and decided to feed her devil liquor to fix that.

paranoid randroid posted:

im into some pretty obscure languages; youve probably never heard of them
Are you into anal?

A.o.D. posted:

Gender isn't sex; sex isn't gender.

habeasdorkus posted:

For a Francophone, English has a relatively easy to learn vocabulary since a lot of English words are just French words with a few vowels removed and a few consonants added (e.g. jugement -> judgment, well why not); the challenge comes from understanding spoken English because it's really hard to map English sounds to English letters when you're not used to stressed words and the complete lack of identifiable pattern when matching graphemes to phonemes. Rough cough plough through tough borough. What?

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Mr. Lobe posted:

What's a good language

If Cell is the Ultimate Fighter because he can absorb other fighters and copy their abilities, then logically English is the ultimate language on account of all the languages it's robbed, absorbed, and mangled.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
That was a lovely update and reunion. I can't wait for the bad news hammer to drop and ruin the moment after another page or two. Mostly because I'm dead inside but also because it feels "too nice" or something I find hard to quantify.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

We're about to learn that Zaid has become a gamer

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Fister Roboto posted:

English also does weird things with verb tenses. Past tense is fine, but future tense just adds extra words as modifiers. I will run. I'm going to run. If it was like a romance language it would be like... I runera?
Korean does a very similar thing.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Cat Mattress posted:

For a Francophone, English has a relatively easy to learn vocabulary since a lot of English words are just French words with a few vowels removed and a few consonants added (e.g. jugement -> judgment, well why not); the challenge comes from understanding spoken English because it's really hard to map English sounds to English letters when you're not used to stressed words and the complete lack of identifiable pattern when matching graphemes to phonemes. Rough cough plough through tough borough. What?

The real secret to English is when we say we have five vowels we are practicing the universal art.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

ThaumPenguin posted:

We're about to learn that Zaid has become a gamer

Impossible. Dave would never allow such degeneracy in the very heart of the Celestial Empire.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Straight White Shark posted:

Impossible. Dave would never allow such degeneracy in the very heart of the Celestial Empire.

Gaming exists in Rayuba but aimbotting, wallhacking, ragequitting, and smurfing are all punishable by death

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Cat Mattress posted:

Yeah, where to put the emphasis in a word is really the tricky part. That's where the patchwork vocabulary comes into play, sometimes the pronunciation is the same as the original language, sometimes it's how it was two hundred years ago, sometimes it's just different because it shifted over time.

It's a hidden thing that most native speakers couldn't explain clearly if you get it wrong, it just doesn't quite sound right. Same with the secret rules about adjective order: A "silver shiny small knife" sounds like gibberish, but a "small shiny silver knife" is perfectly coherent.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Might as well post a link to The Chaos, that poem about English pronunciation and how it's awful.

And I find it better to listen along as I read it: YouTube.

CitizenKeen fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Sep 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

CitizenKeen posted:

Might as well post a link to The Chaos, that poem about English pronunciation and how it's awful.

And I find it better to listen along as I read it: YouTube.

"Better" is certainly a word you could use.