Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

BurritoJustice posted:

The comments that piss me off are people genuinely upset or disappointed with how much of a huge jump the new NVIDIA gen is. Do they not get that everyone wins? The fanaticism is in full display.

Also I've seen the 30% slower/30% faster mixup in like five posts now

r/AMD is insane. Don't stare too long or you'll end up like Paul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Only outlet I'm aware of that has the card now is Digital Foundry. All the techtubers posted videos today talking about this morning's stream with some of them saying they're waiting for their review units.

They didn’t allow digital foundry to talk about frames, just percentages on a few nvidia chosen titles.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

akadajet posted:

I couldn’t find a windowless meshify c when I was looking. But the black tempered glass looks nice enough with no rgb stuff turned on

Same, I ended up with a gargantuan windowless Meshify S2 as a result.

And then two weeks later the windowless C's came back in stock.

:suicide:

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

A100 seems like a paper launch too - can’t find units for sale anytime soon.

Hoping to get some A100 PCIe action for work. Numbers are more drastic over the V100 (2-2.5X) without the need for application specific support you see in consumer Ampere.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Yeah if amd comes out with a competitive card I’ll be stoked

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

akadajet posted:

They didn’t allow digital foundry to talk about frames, just percentages on a few nvidia chosen titles.

Correct, embargo was super draconian and could only talk about relative performances. Nowhere near what I'd want to see from DF but I was just responding that someone actually has the card. In fact they've had it for week+ IIRC?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

shrike82 posted:

A100 seems like a paper launch too - can’t find units for sale anytime soon.

A100 is available and deployed by the thousand... just not available to you, worm!! large boys only!

also:

Confirmed that the 3090 uses NVLink 3 btw, so.... cross your fingers for memory pooling?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Cygni posted:

A100 is available and deployed by the thousand... just not available to you, worm!! large boys only!

also:

Confirmed that the 3090 uses NVLink 3 btw, so.... cross your fingers for memory pooling?

I'm gonna do something really loving dumb

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

BurritoJustice posted:

Good luck fitting two 3090s into your case =P

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

BurritoJustice posted:

use lube

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Good luck fitting two 3090s into your rear end

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

That is for some really dumb loving

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Good luck fitting two 3090s into your case =P

Seems like they'll be smaller in practise than my current two waterblocked 980s lol

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

repiv posted:

except moores law is dead, who should be thrown in the trash and never listened to again

he made so many extremely specific claims and none of them panned out :lmao:

To be fair, he did have sources that allowed him to napkin math a "3080 Ti" at 2x 2080 back in late March. Exactly where Jensen's own presentation today said it would be.

Techtubers gonna hype and say crazy poo poo. They gotta get views.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://twitter.com/EVGA_JacobF/status/1300933491085852672

evga got them good 12 pin adapters it looks like

e: wait thats prolly just a cable for their psus and not their custom cards, which dont use the 12 pin abort abort

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

repiv posted:

The sampling strategy is up to the game engine. Raytracing usually happens after rasterization (per-pixel RT effects need the G-Buffer to know where to launch rays from) so raster being slow doesn't allow for more samples.

RT techniques that are decoupled from pixels might be able to run async alongside rasterization though? Nobody has shipped anything like that yet but NV has been working on middleware for it: https://developer.nvidia.com/rtxgi
I'm just asking, because in the kitchen presentation, he's implied it to run concurrently in the frame timing part of it.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

repiv posted:

except moores law is dead, who should be thrown in the trash and never listened to again

he made so many extremely specific claims and none of them panned out :lmao:

just like adored, I get to tell youtube to never recommend me his videos again

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

I at least look forward to GamersNexus reviews. Steven was maybe the one techtuber that asked the question of how hosed will your CPU cooling get skewed from the reference cooling design. Everyone else uses open air test rigs too much.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I at least look forward to GamersNexus reviews. Steven was maybe the one techtuber that asked the question of how hosed will your CPU cooling get skewed from the reference cooling design. Everyone else uses open air test rigs too much.

Yeah I’ve been watching more and more GN and they are pretty alright.

He moves his hair too much though.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

*hair toss*

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

shrike82 posted:

*hair toss*

:argh:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

BurritoJustice posted:

Holy poo poo r/amd is melting to the ground right now.

r/amd can reach audiophile cable-quality discussion at the worst of times, and its good that tech jesus does an occasional slam dunk on that community

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

Steve's hair and his love of cats despite him being allergic to them is the best part of his channel.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
This isn't a review, per se, but it is Tech Jesus talking about the AIB 3xxx offerings: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7puH-8aCfBY

More of a 'profile' piece.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

BurritoJustice posted:

Holy poo poo r/amd is melting to the ground right now.

Check this genius maths

2080=1080=R7?

Confusing 30% less versus 50% more? Stretching a 5700xt to a 3090 somehow?

You know they say all men are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Samoa Joe and you can see that statement is NOT TRUE! See, normally if you go one-on-one with another wrestler you got a fifty/fifty chance of winning. But I'm a genetic freak, and I'm not normal! So you got a 25 percent at best at beat me! And then you add Kurt Angle to the mix? You-the chances of winning drastically go down. See, the 3-Way at Sacrifice, you got a 33 and a third chance of winning. But I! I got a 66 and two thirds chance of winning, cuz Kurt Angle KNOOOWS he can't beat me, and he's not even gonna try. So, Samoa Joe, you take your thirty three and a third chance minus my twenty five percent chance (if we was to go one on one) and you got an eight and a third chance of winning at Sacrifice. But then you take my 75 perchance-chance of winnin' (if we was to go one on one), and then add 66 and two thirds…percents, I got a 141 2/3 chance of winning at Sacrifice! Señor Joe? The numbers don't lie, and they spell disaster for you at Sacrifice!

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

akadajet posted:

Funny enough this happened:

Richard mentioned that those results were from the 2080. Since the chart shows an 80% improvement we at least know the 3080 is running Borderlands 3 at 4K60fps at the maxed settings under DX12. He mentioned Vsync is off as well.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
Shadow of the Tomb Raider also had the frame rate showing at the top left. It was 61-64 FPS IIRC. Not surprised I saw it, though. I noticed the 3080 before Jensen pulled it out from behind the bowl scrapers. :smug:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

I’m an idiot. Ignore this post.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I’m an idiot. Ignore this post.

You're beautiful and I respect any mistake you think you've made BC this is a friendly thread for nice GPU chats

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
I'm sad how we basically know nothing about the 3090. They barely even attempted to sell it. What is the specific value of pointing out its dominance in 8k? Would that be a function of DLSS scaling well with resolution combined with the RAM? It's just so far away from what actual customers will be doing anytime soon, even 3090 buyers.

I feel like if they had something better to say about straight comparative performance they would just say it instead of trotting out some 8k bullshit. That's cool and everything but it's like they're going out of their way to provide super general statistics that can't be pinned down (for the entire line, not just the 3090).

If the 3090 is a new titan then that's fine but they had basically nothing to say about its compute applications. The FE is also a 3 slot card which makes no sense for compute.

Even the segment with the 4 Gamerz playing the 3090 was loving weird, like obviously playing any game on HDMI 2.1 VRR OLED is going to look incredible and insanely smooth. That could technically have nothing to do with the 3090 in particular. Most people haven't experienced the perfection that is OLED VRR pc gaming so to them, it would be a revolution for completely different reasons than the card. It's inviting extra variables into the equation in a pretty (imo) dishonest way.

Maybe the drivers are just total poo poo right now? But even then, they could ballpark some numbers. the only other thing I can think of is that they are rushing like madmen to get this poo poo out the door before the consoles and big navi gain consumer traction to the point, so they're just being kind of sloppy.

Just weird that on one end they're claiming complete superiority at a low price point and on the other end they're totally unwilling to explain their own architectures.

I came into this presentation sure about getting a 3090, and I'm still on board, but I actually feel less sold on the 3090 than I did yesterday because there's just so much wacky posturing around it. Beating around the bush is an understatement. It would almost be better if they just said "coming soon" and dealt with it later on.

Taima fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Sep 2, 2020

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

Maybe it doesn't scale well, so at 4K the 3080 and 3090 perform about the same, while the 3090 can keep pushing frames at 8K because of all the extra RAM. Just have to wait for better benchmarks, I guess.

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

Wanna bet the 3090 isn't that much faster than the 3080 besides running things at 8k due to having 24GB VRAM.

We have already seen the VRAM usage from flight simulator

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

This might be the first time I ever try to snag the Nvidia reference model itself, it's sleek as heck.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

First of May posted:

Maybe it doesn't scale well, so at 4K the 3080 and 3090 perform about the same, while the 3090 can keep pushing frames at 8K because of all the extra RAM. Just have to wait for better benchmarks, I guess.

This would make sense.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

This might be the first time I ever try to snag the Nvidia reference model itself, it's sleek as heck.

Tech Jesus also raised a good point - there's a chance that some of the AIB 3090 cards (and also the rumored double-stuf 3070 and 3080 AIB cards) might neglect to put adequate cooling for the G6X chips on the back of the cards.

The Last Poet
Oct 9, 2001
People who are considering a 3090, how much faster than a 3080 does it need to be for you to definitely buy it ? My initial thought is 20% faster or less isn't worth it, 40% or more probably is.

Given the massive gap in cost between the 3080 and 3090 do you think its possible NVIDIA would try to put two new products in the gap ? 3080Ti, 3080 Ti 20gig ?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Yeah it seems like only the reference model from Nvidia is even addressing the extra chips on the back of the card, although from the Gamers Nexus summary it seems like some companies were surprised by the announcement and don't even have finalized specs on their own websites yet.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

The Last Poet posted:

People who are considering a 3090, how much faster than a 3080 does it need to be for you to definitely buy it ? My initial thought is 20% faster or less isn't worth it, 40% or more probably is.

Given the massive gap in cost between the 3080 and 3090 do you think its possible NVIDIA would try to put two new products in the gap ? 3080Ti, 3080 Ti 20gig ?

I'm still not entirely convinced that the 'asterisk' in the rumored and still unconfirmed double-stuf versions isn't going to be through using G6 over G6X memory. They'll dilute the 3090's position otherwise. That being said, it wouldn't surprise me if a 3080Ti with 22GB of G6X doesn't come out in 1H 2021 for $1299.

It just seems like it'd be a *really* good way to get rid of a bunch of G6 memory.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000
The 3090 is obviously meant to replace the Titan and target the ML market, though I guess Nvidia figured out if they number it as part of the 3xxx series then they'll also be able to sell it to gamers that want "the best" regardless of cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I think if somebody came out of the blue and gave me 700 bux between now and September 24th I'd probably buy that big dumb thing, even though it's especially nonsensical because I still game at 1440p. But who could resist such a big dick card.