Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

The only professional wrestler I would vote for is Zack Labour Jr. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

NPR Journalizard posted:

Would there have been a VP nomination that didn't cause you to skip voting?

It's specifically her having actively worked to block affirming care for trans inmates in the past that pushes the ticket from "I don't like them but I'd do my bit" to actively "I wouldn't vote for them" and as far as I know she's the only one in the field with that history so yes, any of them but her

Homora Gaykemi fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Sep 2, 2020

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Aesculus posted:

Actual content: Have the Greens kicked out their rapists/bicycle libs yet? Going by the last thing I heard from them (PWW the investment banker for deputy :laffo:) I'm guessing not.

Never heard "bicycle libs" before, I almost like it better than "tree tories".

I believe here in WA there's a process for booting rapists, though I don't know much about it.

I will say tree tories are a difficult subject in the greens, and that it's entirely possible for a tree tory to effectively wield the Greens own policies against them to further a neoliberal agenda.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

It'll be pretty funny if by the time the grand final rolls around Melbourne is back to normal whereas Queensland's cases have spiralled out of control

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

This man came to within an inch of becoming a priest.

Homora Gaykemi posted:

It's specifically her having actively worked to block affirming care for trans inmates in the past that pushes the ticket from "I don't like them but I'd do my bit" to actively "I wouldn't vote for them" and as far as I know she's the only one in the field with that history so yes, any of them but her

gently caress, really? I thought AOC was a good one.

But that's how it goes, isn't it. You get to choose between the politician who will actively hurt you and the one who will do nothing for you.

Then you have to defend yourself from endless people demanding to know why you're not out campaigning for the "good" one to win.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Sep 2, 2020

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

freebooter posted:

It'll be pretty funny if by the time the grand final rolls around Melbourne is back to normal whereas Queensland's cases have spiralled out of control

Seems far more likely NSW will. Their numbers have been on a low key boil for a while now. Unless they can do something to get that under control soon seems like a major outbreak is just a matter of time.

Seems like we maybe be able to get 'VIC numbers down by then. Would love to be able to safety go to the beach again by the long weekend. :(

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Australia is now officially in a recession, so expect the usual array of talking heads to start demanding we reopen everything and to hell with the dead.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Megillah Gorilla posted:

gently caress, really? I thought AOC was a good one.

Nah, that's Harris I was talking about. As far as I know AOC is still good

Homora Gaykemi fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Sep 2, 2020

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Australia is now officially in a recession, so expect the usual array of talking heads to start demanding we reopen everything and to hell with the dead.

And yet Sweden is in a worse one

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/coronavirus-sweden-gdp-falls-8pc-in-q2-worse-nordic-neighbors-2020-8?r=US&IR=T

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Megillah Gorilla posted:

It’s too late for that. It’s gonna be bigger and better than the 90s.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Megillah Gorilla posted:

This man came to within an inch of becoming a priest.

He was too tall huh?

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Those priests do be coming

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
If Australia is condemned to a recession and condemned to fatalities why don't we try to make sure those fatalities are disproportionately pulled from the inexcusably wealthy, and beef up the estate taxes. The living have more rights than the dead, even the poor ones, don't they? Or are we going the way of the Incas

I'm also sorry for making the Biden Hillary point, I was trying to illustrate just how depressing the "choice" is, I didn't think anybody would actually take it as serious topic

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

https://twitter.com/CallamPickering/status/1300970089781424128

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Homora Gaykemi posted:

Nah, that's Harris I was talking about. As far as I know AOC is still good

Thanks goodness.

Faith in humanity slightly restored.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

three decades without a recession and they still treat people like locusts on a cash crop

wonder how many jackboots are gonna hit sunburnt dirt now that the money's a bit tighter

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Sulla Faex posted:

If Australia is condemned to a recession and condemned to fatalities why don't we try to make sure those fatalities are disproportionately pulled from the inexcusably wealthy, and beef up the estate taxes. The living have more rights than the dead, even the poor ones, don't they? Or are we going the way of the Incas

I'm also sorry for making the Biden Hillary point, I was trying to illustrate just how depressing the "choice" is, I didn't think anybody would actually take it as serious topic

You realise estates don't get buried with the deceased, right?

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

JBP posted:

hm let me think about that, i dont know jbp, i really dont know. maybe you can tell me

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Sulla Faex posted:

hm let me think about that, i dont know jbp, i really dont know. maybe you can tell me

It doesn't.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

oh wow, this changes everything, i honestly thought that when a rich person died, they liquidated all their assets, filtered them through your posts, and then buried the corpse in a pile of golden poo poo

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Sulla Faex posted:

oh wow, this changes everything, i honestly thought that when a rich person died, they liquidated all their assets, filtered them through your posts, and then buried the corpse in a pile of golden poo poo

Nah man, that isn't what happens at all.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

you know last night in another thread i sarcastic posted at someone because i forgot i wasnt in the australia thread and thus surrounded by a nation of bad faith babies. i just assumed they were disingenuously angling for yet another lame gotcha

thanks for being there, jeebs pee

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Sulla Faex posted:

they do, in fact.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Sulla Faex posted:

you know last night in another thread i sarcastic posted at someone because i forgot i wasnt in the australia thread and thus surrounded by a nation of bad faith babies. i just assumed they were disingenuously angling for yet another lame gotcha

thanks for being there, jeebs pee

I don't know what this means, my comment is regarding the dead having families who are alive. Maybe you should break out a mirror and pinch your cheeks in an effort to determine if it is you who is the baby.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

JBP posted:

I don't know what this means, my comment is regarding the dead having families who are alive. Maybe you should break out a mirror and pinch your cheeks in an effort to determine if it is you who is the baby.

you ever take a step back and think "wow, this is garbage. what im doing with my time is literal garbage, and i am a lil garbage baby" ???

i do that all the time. incredible

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Sulla Faex posted:

you ever take a step back and think "wow, this is garbage. what im doing with my time is literal garbage, and i am a lil garbage baby" ???

Never bro. Keep moving forward. That's the key to success.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

a shark never swims into its own poo poo

think about it

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Sulla Faex posted:

a shark never swims into its own poo poo

think about it

A wise man once said "can't kickflip backwards". I hold this truth as absolute.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

JBP posted:

Lazy troll is lazy.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

NPR Journalizard posted:

Lazy troll is lazy.

Thank you 2008 Reddit poster. It's not a troll. That money goes to people. I'd be super interested in the outcomes in Greens and wealthier Lab seats if death taxes were introduced as a bogeyman.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

the inheritors of ultra wealthy estates arent technically people, theyre the beneficiaries of oppression and thus exist in a brief quantum state while they decide whether to ethically redistribute the wealth clot or to succumb to the disease of capitalism

or are you trying to pull the same "estate taxes = commies coming after YOUR 1995 toyota corolla" thing that the ultra wealthy always do whenever people start rumbling about taxing them appropriately

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Sulla Faex posted:

I do this every time I wake up or see myself in the mirror

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

The "Freedom Day" anti-lockdown protests scheduled for this Saturday appear to be organised (or are least heavily promoted) by what looks like a fairly typical spiritual chakra light-warrior kind of thing: https://www.facebook.com/weareawakening

It smelled fishy, so I went digging all the way back to when they started in 2012, and guess what:

And so on. here's 40 more: https://imgur.com/a/GAcZkBV

Mixed in with the hippy-poo poo is quite a specific agenda.

There's also anti-trans posts in there, as well as anti-gun control.

It feels a lot like we're being hosed with.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

JBP posted:

Thank you 2008 Reddit poster. It's not a troll. That money goes to people. I'd be super interested in the outcomes in Greens and wealthier Lab seats if death taxes were introduced as a bogeyman.

Ahh yes, the common tale of the destitute pauper suddenly inheriting sqillions from a rich relative.

oh wait, no, its way more common for rich people to inherit money from rich people, making them even richer, and concentrating wealth.

While I agree on the death tax effect on the populace, its only because of idiots who think like you, thinking its a bad thing.

Ergo, get in power without mentioning this as a plan, and jam it through immediately after, all while screaming "MANDATE, MANDATE, MANDATE", and the idiots will have years to get used to it and then forget about it by the next election, when the sky hasnt fallen in.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Just Bad Postin'

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

GotLag posted:

Just Bad Postin'

That's the meaningless rhetoric thread for you

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Yeah, gently caress all these other posters for being needlessly pedantic, arguing in bad faith, and focusing on political ideology rather than throwing their weight behind the election dominating political powerhouse that is, say, oh I don't know, the AL loving lmao P

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

people still angry at friendly jordies just screaming at the thread.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Anyone remember the Grocery Code of conduct?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

NPR Journalizard posted:

Ahh yes, the common tale of the destitute pauper suddenly inheriting sqillions from a rich relative.

oh wait, no, its way more common for rich people to inherit money from rich people, making them even richer, and concentrating wealth.

While I agree on the death tax effect on the populace, its only because of idiots who think like you, thinking its a bad thing.

Ergo, get in power without mentioning this as a plan, and jam it through immediately after, all while screaming "MANDATE, MANDATE, MANDATE", and the idiots will have years to get used to it and then forget about it by the next election, when the sky hasnt fallen in.

More than the ultra-wealthy want to leave a legacy so yes, it quickly gets parlayed into commies coming for grandmas 1995 corolla while at the same time being quite diabolical to ensure that you do actually get to tax the ultra-wealthy. There are far more effective ways to tax the wealthy - generally at consumption but other ways such as capital gain/income as well.

Now land taxes, I can get behind land taxes because one legacy the rich love to obtain and leave is a pimped out property driven up to false values which is easy to assess and hard to move to the Cayman Islands (unless you buy a property in the Cayman Islands I guess). No need to separate out companies or trusts from this so even harder to avoid. It also helps property affordability and encourages downsizing for the empty nesters that no longer really need the five bedroom free standing house in Nedlands.