Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
anyone have a hot tip for cleaning under a full length roof rack? havent found much luck finding a specialized product that fits-- might have to resort to just strapping a microfiber cloth to a swiffer thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I just use my usual car wash sponge and hit my hand a lot on the bars

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

MomJeans420 posted:

I just use my usual car wash sponge and hit my hand a lot on the bars

Same, how could there be another way?

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Finally pulled the trigger on a 2007 GX 470. Time to get to work! After changing all the fluids, first task is trimming the running boards to increase clearance between the wheels.

e: pics or it didn't happen

It's very clean for it's age and in great shape. Has nav unfortunately, but finding a non-nav in decent shape didn't seem like it was going to happen any time soon. The few that had it were all either very high mileage and/or very well worn.

Splinter fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Aug 31, 2020

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

bird with big dick posted:

I went to visit my mom in Oregon which means driving on beaches while she shrieks about how I’m gonna get stuck (I did not).

RIP my beautiful F-150.

The worst thing about it besides the injuries I sustained in the accident is that the only things I’d be happy replacing it with are not out yet (Bronco or 2021 Raptor)

ThinkFear
Sep 15, 2007

Pour one out for the F150. Hope you and your dick are alright.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Thanks, I'll make it. Spite alone will sustain me at least until the lawsuit is over.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Splinter posted:

Finally pulled the trigger on a 2007 GX 470. Time to get to work! After changing all the fluids, first task is trimming the running boards to increase clearance between the wheels.

It's very clean for it's age and in great shape. Has nav unfortunately, but finding a non-nav in decent shape didn't seem like it was going to happen any time soon. The few that had it were all either very high mileage and/or very well worn.

Looks great! How many miles? Did you wind up finding one with KDSS?

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

powderific posted:

Looks great! How many miles? Did you wind up finding one with KDSS?

133k, no KDSS. It was one of the few that popped up locally (2 hours away) and drove significantly better than the other one in the area I test drove. A few decent looking KDSS options popped up, but they all ended up being questionable. For instance, after asking for underbody pics: "in pretty good shape, just a bit of surface rust" **entire underbody completely rusted** "oh BTW engine just threw a code while test driving". Or another one with a long string of "customer declined service" in the service history for major issues, followed by auction (makes me think owner hit rough times and couldn't afford repairs), followed by being sold at a shady dealership that had some of the worst reviews I've seen (wasn't going to fly out to deal with that). There was a OK looking '05 with the sport package and 160k only a cheap hour flight away that I almost went to check out, but a) while it seemed relatively well maintained (regular oil changes, rear air bags just replaced) there were a few red flags: "owner complained about trouble turning into parking spots, found center diff lock engaged, disengaged center diff lock" (who knows how long "the wife" was driving on pavement w/ the diff locked) and still no timing belt service by 160k, b) wasn't nearly as clean as the one I got, and c) the convenience of being able to do everything locally (test drives, 3rd party inspection, paperwork etc didn't need to all fit into a single day) with no pressure to buy immediately to avoid having to pay for a hotel or flight was too hard to pass up. So in the end, I never drove one with KDSS. I'm sure the KDSS version feels better on curvy paved roads (just based on my experience switching other cars to beefier swaybar setups), but the non-KDSS version already handles better than I'd expect for its size, and it's not like a vehicle this big will ever really inspire sporty driving.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Nice! I wound up with a high mileage one, 189k when I got it, but it had extensive service history, just had the timing belt done, and was at an easy dealership to work with (and I suppose most relevantly I was kindof up against a wall for needing a new vehicle.)

One other thing I'm not sure if got mentioned, these engines have a secondary air injection system that inevitably goes wrong and will throw a code. You can get a bypass thingy that just turns it off entirely and not worry about it though.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Hit the Athanum State Forest again this past Saturday. We drove half of Sedge Ridge, then all of Nasty Creek Trail, then up to Louie Way Gap. There were some more Jeep trails on the map here but turned out to be a bit too tight for a vehicle this size.

View of Rimrock:

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

TotalLossBrain posted:

Hit the Athanum State Forest again this past Saturday. We drove half of Sedge Ridge, then all of Nasty Creek Trail, then up to Louie Way Gap. There were some more Jeep trails on the map here but turned out to be a bit too tight for a vehicle this size.

View of Rimrock:

Love that area. Check out Liberty off Hwy 97 for some fun routes. Also, look up Fortune Creek Trail up to either Van Epps Pass or Gallagher Head Lake out in Cle Elum/Salmon la Sac.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Splinter posted:

e: pics or it didn't happen

Nice!

As someone who wants to Black Bear Pass at some point in the future, I thought this video was interesting. The trail gets blocked by a landslide and some Jeeps are forced to wait until the road crew can come out and fix it. There are also a lot of miserable looking hikers out that day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njLv3Q18KEU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Braincloud posted:

Love that area. Check out Liberty off Hwy 97 for some fun routes. Also, look up Fortune Creek Trail up to either Van Epps Pass or Gallagher Head Lake out in Cle Elum/Salmon la Sac.

Ya I've been meaning to go up to Liberty. I also wouldn't mind checking out the Manastash area. I did do Naches Pass a couple times in the past month and also Bald Mountain/Wenas. I kind of skipped Manastash in the middle.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

powderific posted:

One other thing I'm not sure if got mentioned, these engines have a secondary air injection system that inevitably goes wrong and will throw a code. You can get a bypass thingy that just turns it off entirely and not worry about it though.

I've been looking more into this as I saw it come up in some other threads. Is this something you just do preemptively ASAP, or wait until it shows signs of failing then delete? Did you go with the Hewitt SAIS Toyota Bypass Kit? Seeing that one recommended.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If you do it before it fails you might be able to get away with not installing block off plates, while if you wait the valve can fail open and then you definitely have to use the plates and they’re kind of a pain to get at. You’re supposed to install them anyway as a precaution, but I skipped it and it’s been fine. I got one off eBay from Rutech since at the time it was significantly cheaper; looks like the prices are closer now.

It’s not a huge deal to wait till it goes bad, but you’ll wind up with and engine in limp mode fore sure and that can suck if you don’t have a code reader handy.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

If you bypass it with one of the kits, does it set a code/fail emissions testing?

I’ve been looking at getting one of these but live in CA, so that could be a big problem.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Since you're just tricking the system into not running, and it only effects the vehicle immediately on startup, I don't think it should be an issue. Hewitt claims that it's fine too, but I'm in a non-emissions testing state so I can't say for sure from personal experience.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
From what I've read, at least regarding the Hewitt kit, is that it essentially tells the ECU that the secondary air test was performed and sets the appropriate code, so it does pass emissions.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Awesome, thanks. I appreciate the info and hope to get one in the near future. Unless I think a bronco can happen for some reason, but ugh, $40+k.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Razzled posted:

anyone have a hot tip for cleaning under a full length roof rack? havent found much luck finding a specialized product that fits-- might have to resort to just strapping a microfiber cloth to a swiffer thing

Just do what I do.. I havent cleaned under my roof rack for about 2 years now... I should do that next time I actually swap the racks!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Cross post from the LX470/100 series thread...

So after literally 65 days i FINALLY got my truck back from the crash repairers... its mechanically fixed up (they replaced the entire steering rack knuckle to knuckle because everything was broken) but the barwork still hasnt all turned up so we're waiting until thats done and they'll do all the bar work in one go and fix the guard then, so its still wearing the battle scars of eating a Nissan Pulsar.

The reason I got it back was because:

1) Winter in Adelaide is miserable, its cold, its wet, so it soaks into your bones. I work on top of a loving mountain, so I wake up in the dark in the morning for work, drive through the fog, into the clouds on the mountain, work all day in the cloud, then drive home in either the fog or pissing rain. I can go 8+ days without actually seeing the sun, its just "The grey is brighter now"

2) Covid sucks, Im over it and all the bullshit working for a government owned public entertainment site that goes with it.

So we ran away. To a place called Dalhousie Springs. Its basically as far north as you can go and still be in South Australia.

The drive up was pretty uneventful, around 20 degrees, some whispy cloud around. The country around Hawker in the Flinders Ranges is still pretty dry though- they've been through a pretty bad multi year drought and didnt get much this year.

Spent the first night in a place called Brachina Gorge. The iphone 11 Pro has an absolutely mind blowing night mode- I cant get night photos this nice out of my Canon 7D without some heavy duty photoshop touch ups!

Dinner was grass fed porterhouse steaks done in the Oz Braii and cold oil chips done over the campfire.

If you havent heard of cold oil chips or an Oz Braii, do yourself a massive favour and check out Harry Fisher (Fire To Fork) on Youtube here

The next day was back on the road heading north. Eventually once you hit a town named Marree, the bitumen road runs out and you've got a choice- Head north east on the Birdsville Track, or head northwest on the Oodnadatta track, so we aired down to high speed gravel pressures and headed out of town north west.

We pulled up camp in one of the nicest campsites in Australia- A place called Coward Springs.

A little back story: Australia has this absolutely massive underground water system that spans a huge chunk of the outback called the Great Artesian Basin- it covers something ridiculous like 22% of the Australian Landmass

Basically, you get water recharge into the aquifer in the high rainfall areas of the tropics of queensland and that water travels deep underground where its heated. Eventually it reaches the surface by either flowing out of man made bores or out of natural springs that form where theres a weak area in the overlaying impervious rock.

Coward springs is a man made oasis in the middle of the desert- Its just up the road from some natural formed mound springs, but its all fed off a bore into the Artesian Basin. They've got a spa they've built there from sleepers from the original Ghan train line that used to run up the oodna track (this used to be the main rail line from the eastern states to Alice Springs, but they shifted the entire rail line west because they constantly had trouble with track damage in the desert areas the oodna track runs through) and its 29 deg C water all year round. Its a great space to stop and just chill out.

Dinner that night was another Fire to Fork brainchild- Cheeseburger damper.

Basically, make two beef patties, melt cheese onto them, cover them with raw onion, pickles, half a pigs worth of bacon, a shitload of sauce and mustard and then wrap the entire thing in a damper and bake.

They were delicious, but my god thats too much food for three people.. Thats too much cheeseburger damper for 6 people! We ended up burning about half of it because we couldnt eat it and it had more energy density than the hardwood we were using for firewood.

Next morning, after bacon and eggs we continued to roll on north, stopping at a place called William Creek.

There were some odd locals...

We dropped off the mail we were carrying for the owners of Coward Springs and rolled out of town. Compared to normal the entire outback is deserted because half of Australia isnt allowed into our state!

Because our outback roads are literally made of whatever they could find laying around and are generally a mixture of sand, clay and small gibber rock, they turn into goo when wet, so all outback roads can be closed at a moments notice to protect them from damage. Its a huge fine for going past one of those signs that says closed too- Around $1K per tyre, and if they're feeling lovely with you cos you've made a mess, they'll count your spares too. So for me it would be a $6K fine. For a truck with a road train, that could be north of 62 tyres on the road so a $60K+ fine. Its designed to make people stop.

No issues this time, we rolled onward, still heading north.

As you head towards the town of Oodnadatta, you get to the Algebuckina bridge.

It was built in 1892 and is 1,927 feet long, comprised entirely of wrought iron sections bolted and riveted together by hand. Its an impressive piece of engineering. Whats also impressive is that in 1974 a flood in the area almost reached the bridge decking!

After Algebuckina, we reached the town of Oodnadatta, which is famous for its Pink Roadhouse (Google it- its very, very pink). We filled up with diesel there- $1.89 per litre (for comparison its $1.09 in Adelaide atm) and headed onwards to the Dalhousie Springs.

Dalhousie is another one of the natural springs that have formed on the Artesian Basin, however unlike the bore at Coward Springs, the water in Dalhousie is between 38-40 deg C! Theres a bore about 100km further east into the desert drilled looking for oil and gas called Purni Bore that has water that flows to the surface at 90c!)

The amount of water flowing into Dalhousie springs is truly mind blowing- 160L/second, 9600L per minute. Over a 24hr period 34,560,000 litres of water well up out of the ground and flow out of the springs. An Olympic swimming pool is 2.5M litres of water, so this is more than 13 of those flowing out of the rock, into a pool, then out into a wetland delta.

It truly is a peaceful, beautiful place.

Dinner was beef stirfry, but since we arent allowed to have campfires at Dalhousie any more because people were being dicks, i never took any photos of the meals I cooked over gas because its just like cooking at home.

We camped at Dalhousie for 3 nights and went for a wander out to the Mount Dare Hotel. They've had heaps of rain in the area so a lot of the local waterholes were actually full, which i've never seen before, and I've been up in this country for 10 years now.

It is still a brutally harsh country that could kill you without blinking though.

Sadly, reality called and we had to wander our way back south heading for home, so we packed up our kit and made our way from Dalhousie back to Coward Springs. This time because it wasnt 9 in the morning, we stopped in for a beer at the Willian Creek Hotel. Because tourism has tanked all these little outback towns that rely on the tourist dollar are really doing it tough- Most havent hired their usual backpacker staff, havent hired managers for the tourist season, the pilots who are usually doing flights over lake eyre are behind the bar at the pub in William Creek. So we made a decision to spend a fair whack of money in most of these places to help em out.

So i bought beer and diesel... at $2.10 a litre.... That hurt.

Its hard to head home when your missus is telling you its 8 degrees and raining sideways and your looking at that wearing shorts and a tee shirt...

After a few beers and a good chat, plus a donation to the Royal Flying Doctors Service, we rolled back down the track into coward springs for the night, where we were treated to a cracker sunset.

And I still dont want to go home...

The rest of the trip was pretty uneventful, we saw some pretty cool things because of the rain, like these Sturt Desert Peas.

But eventually I reversed the car into the shed- after taking off the HF antenna because it makes a horrible noise getting stuck in the roller door if you dont and looked down to realise why my arse hurt...

7 Days, 2800kms, 394L of diesel.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

The level of my jealousy is amazing. God drat - great photos. Doing an Aussie offroad trip is 110% on my bucket list. Thanks for sharing, seriously.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Agreed, 100% 110%. That looks like a great trip and I can't wait until the idiots over here get it together so I can start doing trips even vaguely like that again.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
Now that the state isn't on fire and choking on smoke, I took a solo evening trip to the Mt Baker / Snoqualmie National Forest to take some forestry roads I haven't been on yet. Also found some new offshoots for rock hounding near the rivers and some new campsites as well!

I love exploring around these bridges

New campsite marked for potential future trips, right next to the river.

This particular forestry road had about 6 bridges on it, including one that was still a wooden bridge.

Starting to come around one of the ridges. You can see more forestry roads on the bald mountain in the center.

While the road was easy in most parts, there were random areas where the rocks became larger and sharper. Wouldn't suggest city tires here.

This was something new, at the top of one of the forestry roads, I popped out onto sacred tribal lands.

Didn't know you could find huckleberries in Western WA, thought that was more of an Idaho thing

Final stop, and current elevation

Gotta love this view

Heading back

Possible forestry road to scout out on another adventure

I'm still impressed this little Forester can still climb her way up and down these mountains with ease!

space chandeliers
Apr 8, 2008

A short trek to Bear Creek in the San Bernardino National Forest near Angelus Oaks.

space chandeliers fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Oct 19, 2020

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

space chandeliers posted:

A short trek to Bear Creek in the San Bernardino National Forest near Angelus Oaks.

Which route did you take?

space chandeliers
Apr 8, 2008

FogHelmut posted:

Which route did you take?

I took the westbound 1N09 route, entering from Hwy 38 and Middle Control Rd (Google Maps calls it Mill Creek Rd/Seven Oaks Rd). Stopped at the Bear Creek crossing, played around the water with the kids, then headed back around sunset. Really easy and accommodated me staying in 2WD and being too lazy to air down. Have you been around there?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

space chandeliers posted:

I took the westbound 1N09 route, entering from Hwy 38 and Middle Control Rd (Google Maps calls it Mill Creek Rd/Seven Oaks Rd). Stopped at the Bear Creek crossing, played around the water with the kids, then headed back around sunset. Really easy and accommodated me staying in 2WD and being too lazy to air down. Have you been around there?

I haven't been over there, but I usually take 38 to Big Bear, which I haven't been to since before covid. I'll try to stop there next time I go. Was everything burned out? I know 38 was closed for a while due to fire.

space chandeliers
Apr 8, 2008

Saw some charred areas by the creek that runs along the 38, but other than that, no signs of burn on the route I took. It was gorgeous. Might take the longer eastbound route from the 330 next time and camp at Bear Creek.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Joined in a (not nearly as) socially distanced (as the pre-event communications said it would be) Gambler 500 in Southern Oregon over the weekend. Had originally planned on taking my 4Runner but got a text Friday AM that my buddy's navigator couldn't make it and asked if I just wanted to ride with him. The E34 we're usually in needed some repairs after the HooptieX season so we took one of his Discos. The route planner gambles an AMC Javelin so his idea of a "Hard Route" is different than what we had. I haven't really spent any time in Southern Oregon but drat it's beautiful. Already making plans for a return trip soon where I don't have to constantly be moving away from people etc., because "homie we can talk from 10' away" is a hard concept.

Didn't take many pics of vehicles in action, but I was recording this bit of road section when our lead cars starting chatting over the radio.
https://i.imgur.com/chkDCUp.mp4

Since I'm never sure I'm using Imgur right, here's just the link.
https://imgur.com/chkDCUp

Here's the track I recorded.
https://www.gaiagps.com/map/?loc=9.5/-123.1834/42.1151&pubLink=CgpG8PD4g1TfqJ6W7ONZWwLo&trackId=331e9205e5836d7d23e36881b58a103d

Guess which of these got a ride home from Crescent City on a flatbed?

highme fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Oct 19, 2020

space chandeliers
Apr 8, 2008

I would like to know more.

highme posted:

Guess which of these got a ride home from Crescent City on a flatbed?

The Celica?

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Looked like a permanent camp full of the State of Jefferson's finest. The looks we got as we went past were not inviting. It was closer to pavement than I thought when I placed it. I drop waypoints as we go for places that look like good camping etc., so I wanted to make sure I didn't go back.

The Celica's only issues were his clutch getting soft after having to follow a bus up a steep section, so we waited a bit for them to get clear of the only real steep sections we found.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Finally hit dirt for the first time since getting the 8.8 and locker installed in April.

https://i.imgur.com/u92RzZE.mp4

Granted that little set of rocks does not even remotely need a locker but I can now say for sure that my locker... locks. Also, 4.56 gears on 33s is loving perfect.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

IOwnCalculus posted:

Finally hit dirt for the first time since getting the 8.8 and locker installed in April.

https://i.imgur.com/u92RzZE.mp4

Granted that little set of rocks does not even remotely need a locker but I can now say for sure that my locker... locks. Also, 4.56 gears on 33s is loving perfect.

Hey man it's better to test it *before* you really need it, right?

I have to say I'm really digging the adventures of the Little Troopy That Could. Keep on keepin' on!

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
I've never had a vehicle with any sort of offroad aspirations, but I recently got a 2003 Chevy Astro with AWD and I had to try it out. Went to a local off road park and had a blast.

https://imgur.com/PfKQTlr.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/EpnuPhD.mp4

stump
Jan 19, 2006

A year ago I bought a Freelander 2 TD4 auto. After a years motoring it sailed through it’s MOT, and a suspected transfer case failure turned out to be a wheel bearing.

So feeling flush with the grand in car costs already mentally spent I bought a set of slightly oversized Hankook Dynapro rf11 all terrains (£106 a corner before fitting) and a years subscription to the local off road club (£200) . I’ve occasionally used it off road for work but never had a chance to properly see why it can do, so today I headed out for a wee test session.

I took it relatively easy, but I’m really impressed with how it performed, and I can’t wait to go back and try some trickier stuff. Ground clearance is good, but I’m not going to go everywhere the bobtailed discoveries do, I did scrape a little bit but the underbody is pretty durable on these.

Traction is great, and despite having open diffs the various terrain modes do a decent job, and I don’t think I would have got where I did with road biased tyres. I made it up some steep looseish stuff fine, and and an uphill cross axle section was managed only with a little momentum as it struggles with two wheels free spinning if it’s also got to climb. Considering mud isn’t these tyres forte I was happy with how they did in slippy stuff.

No low range and a not very clever hill descent control is it’s main downside so far, you feel quite committed and sled like on steep descents, as HDC is set at about 7 mph I think. Bigger tyres are working against me here a bit obviously.

The newer single speed cars have adjustable and slower hill descent control which this car really misses. I found myself using the brakes more than I would like to to bring the speed below HDC speed. The low range cars are amazing for this, the new defender hill descent on its slowest speed is almost painfully slow.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
Went out and got dirty. Holy poo poo, there's sand EVERYWHERE.

Also ticker hit a big number:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

My parents keep sending me pictures of them bundled up driving my Jeep on the copious dirt tracks near their home... really hoping I can get out there for xmas and drive it myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Got out for a bit of a drive yesterday, with the swaybar disconnected the nav goes alright for an ifs ute on 32s.

Old mate brought his Triton too, drove all the same bits but he made it look a lot more dramatic.