Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

dennyk posted:

Should have joined the dark side. I'm pretty sure the training AI could make Pro with an SK Warriors deck.

I got shamed from using sk/wanted to actually git gud so I moved to maining NR and SY. Think it’ll make a decent difference next month when surely SK is nerfed out of existence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I apologize for photographs of my monitor, but my cat was blocking my keyboard and I wanted to share my joy.

I'm nearly undefeated against SK with this deck, and nothing makes me happier. I feel like I'm doing a public service.

rydiafan fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jul 30, 2020

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

rydiafan posted:

I apologize for photographs of my monitor, but my cat was blocking my keyboard and I wanted to share my joy.

I'm nearly undefeated against SK with this deck, and nothing makes me happier. I feel like I'm doing a public service.

Hahaha that’s awesome

Trynet just upped a pretty funny meme deck that’s also a skellige killer ALL THE DAMIENS

https://youtu.be/_1hA5lqhnrU

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Honestly if you aren’t running a gimmick deck or one specifically designed to counter SK might as well just straight up forfeit in those matchups. Exercise in frustration

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
If you’re on iPhone don’t update as the 7.1 will not open

Lot of good that does you if you auto update though.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Counterpoint: If your game bricks until Tuesday that's 4 days you don't have to play against Skellige.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

has anyone else had trouble moving from gog gwent to steam gwent?

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Monsters now being a control deck makes sense but drat is it tough to beat. May need to switch factions again

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

With the deck building restrictions on her I feel like Ciri Nova should get immunity instead of veil.

Also RIP my flock of Phoenixes deck. Not that the Caranthir nerf was unexpected.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Why the vissegard nerf? Who was asking for that

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I mean, he was regularly worth over a dozen points, including removal.

NR isn't broken, but he sure as hell is.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Well he’s dead now. Going to be very easily removed. Oh well.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I'm more about that we got double cock teased. Next update they're eliminating all the double-play leaders and the update after that they're eliminating artifact removal?

Gimme that NOW!

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Vissegerd was pretty powerful, and unlike Anseis a good Vissegerd can eliminate multiple targets. Formation was also a bit silly for him, as he gets no bonus from being buffed himself, so there was even less incentive to play him back row than with any other Formation unit. I don't hate that change; it'll make things a bit more interesting having to work out how to dodge removal or combine him with something that grants Zeal. At 5 power for 8 provisions, he's still quite a decent value unit compared to similar order units like Saesenthessis: Blaze or Ocvist.

The Rupture nerf makes Tyrggvi unplayable, though. The change to Rupture itself is reasonable enough if they plan to expand that ability to other cards eventually, but Tyrggvi himself is now way too expensive; a 5 power for 11p that can *maybe* do some damage to a unit at the end of the next opponent's turn if they don't have a Shield or Purify handy is really poor value. Unless your opponent has a 6+ base strength unit (which isn't all that common in many decks), he's the same raw value or worse than a round three Skjordal, he can't target veiled units, he can't kill a key order card before it activates, and he can have his damage effect disrupted...and Skjordal costs three fewer provisions. They need to properly rework Tyrggvi into something usable. (I'd kinda like to see him given Vabjorn's new ability to tutor Raid cards, and give Vabjorn back his old ability to destroy a damaged enemy; it'd make a lot more sense lore-wise, and Vabjorn's old ability is really functionally similar to the new Rupture, but better as it's an instant effect.)

The SW change is good, I think; keeps SK from being able to freely slam their big golds to win R1 and then slam one of 'em again to win R3. Should detune those SK Warrior decks a fair bit, combined with the Harald nerf (doesn't ignore armor anymore, it seems), though I think with the powerful bronze package, SK will still be fairly strong. Hopefully it'll give some of the other SK leaders room to play and allow a better variety of competitive decks.

I don't play MO much, but I'm kinda sad that my Caranthir + Living Armor and Triple Penix meme decks are now gone, because that poo poo was hilarious. loving Ethereal ruining things for everyone... (I laughed at poor Imlerith being the unlucky sucker who ended up with that loving hot potato hand-consume ability that nobody ever plays this patch, though...)

Ciri changes are interesting. Nova is still worthless outside of memes, since she'll just get Purified or Vincented instantly by everyone except NR (well, I guess NR could technically "Vincent" her too...). Base Ciri is probably still never going to be used, as she's much too expensive now. Might have been slightly better if she was given An Craite Marauder's ability instead of needing at least three unarmored enemies to get any value. Dash is...well, still going to die instantly; if an opponent can't kill it in three turns, they usually wouldn't have been able to in four either. Guess it's slightly more viable in that it can work in a slightly shorter round now, but it still requires you to win R1 to get round control and play a medium-long R2 or R3 to be viable, so eh...

Will be interesting to see what they do with the other "play a card" leader abilities. I'd hate to see them disappear entirely, and honestly most of them aren't as problematic as Second Wind and (to a lesser extent) Mystic Echo. It's the "Use a really powerful unit/special in R1 and again in R3" effect that really makes those abilities oppressive. The other "play a card" abilities all have limits and/or drawbacks that make them a lot less problematic; Wild Card only works with cards in deck (so you can't play the same powerful card twice), Call of Harmony pulls from the deck and has a low provision limit even in a full-on Harmony deck, Tactical Decision again requires the card to be in your deck and there's also some RNG unless you're running a hyper-thin list, and Death's Shadow removes a unit from your board, which makes it much lower tempo in many cases, and while it does allow you to "play" a unit twice, you can only do so during the same round. Pincer Maneuver is probably the most powerful of the other play-a-cards, but even it can only play a card from your hand, meaning you have to draw at least the first piece of whatever combo you're trying to pull, and it's still not playing the same powerful gold twice. The ability to play two cards does create the potential for some nasty combos in a few cases, but nothing really oppressive in those other decks with their current set of cards.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Hidden cache with Lt. von Herst is just dead sexy. Very glad they reverted back to 3 coins for the Fun Faction

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Seasonal is so fun right now. I'm running an Artis deck and I keep facing consume. The timing of the interaction means they frequently play units for negative points.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Care to share a list? Been thinking of mucking around with some self-wound stuff...

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

https://www.playgwent.com/en/decks/guides/130435

There you are.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Anyone finding much success against crones? I have just no clue how to neutralize that package

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Ahhhh I got to Kambi a mill deck player and a Kelli deck this is the pinnacle

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

It's a nice form of validation that you're a decent human being when a hot fix comes out for a faction that's too oppressive and none of your decks are affected by it.

Bedlam
Feb 15, 2008

Angry thoughts

Lol the buffed that stupid skellige boat that hits everything on the opponents board. They lowered its strength and provision cost by 1. CDPR should really consider hiring an outside company to do their balance for them.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Obviously that was a nerf, because his strength went down. Everybody plays Wild Boar because it's strength four, not because it does a bajillion damage, all of which is quadrupled because of the great swords and Dagur on your side of the board. Thank goodness you aren't in game design :smuggo:

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Not sure how they can go back on how strong they made SK but making it super easy to pull blood eagle or champions certainly didn’t help.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Ok so running second wind and winning off pure confusion because I’m running a double gedy deck is quite fun would recommend

Probably as cheesy as double ball but doesn’t feel as bad

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
I'm loving around with Ethereal in a Gedy deck, because I can. It's actually not the worst thing. Deck still needs tweaking, though; I foolishly deleted my old one and now can't remember what all I had in it that actually let it win a game from time to time.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Gedy with crows does sound delicious

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

https://twitter.com/PlayGwent/status/1293850199689920512?s=19

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
I just witnessed someone using Schirru to kill my manticore (?) when it was the only unit I had on the board (??) and this was his second move of the third round (???) and this is pro ladder (????)

:/

Bedlam
Feb 15, 2008

Angry thoughts

He Manticore'd your manticore. Tbh Schirru is a rough matchup against monsters because of the tall units unless you go wide or do kikimora nonsense. Maybe he thought it was better to just eliminate your manticore value, though I'm a lowly rank 3 so I would never presume to know his dizzying pro intellect.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Two days until we get to see all the new leader abilities!

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Bedlam posted:

He Manticore'd your manticore. Tbh Schirru is a rough matchup against monsters because of the tall units unless you go wide or do kikimora nonsense. Maybe he thought it was better to just eliminate your manticore value, though I'm a lowly rank 3 so I would never presume to know his dizzying pro intellect.

I actually haven’t lost with monsters against schirru yet. Push both 1st and 2nd round preferably with Haunt in the second. If they don’t have heaver they’ve been completely hosed with the crooked numbers I can put up with devours. And 5 and Belows are usually death wish units they can have

But nah the manti had no value there and rarely does with elves since they can spawn so many low units which is why I played without devouring it with leader

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
You actually kind of have to push both with the newer decks buffing the immune dragon for final round point slams now and a long round against that plus schirru is yikes

the_american_dream fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Aug 28, 2020

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Well ethereal is all but dead. Transforms next card by order only.

Never thought the deck was OP just brainless. Liked the suggestion that a better solution was just giving fruits a demon tag to not transform

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Anyone have their masonic bugged? Mine just shows Geralt even thought I'm nowhere near that rank.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

My mosaic was fine.

This month's seasonal mode isn't as insane as some, but has some interesting little gems. Yghern is a dead bug walking, for example, and any even strength engine that boosts itself by 1 becomes twice as good.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Still trying to puzzle out the best deck for this seasonal. Some folks seem to like an NR deck and trying to keep their powers even, but I'm not sure that's really all that effective (though it often works just because NR seems to be top tier in general this patch).

Been having some luck with an SK self-wound deck with Dagur and Greatswords, though. Dracoturtle and Drakkars (to a lesser extent) basically run themselves, either boosting from even power or boosting from the armor damage, and if you can keep him alive, Dagur gets good value when at least a few opponent units are taking damage each turn. (Shame they nerfed the Greatswords, but they're still decent value as well even with the 10-point cap...) Still tweaking to find the ideal combinations (and trying out Yrden, as my current list lacks control and boosty opponents can get a bit out of hand), but I think this build might do fairly well.

The mosaic thing is a visual bug that's been around for ages. You can see your actual moasic in your profile, but the one that shows on the end-of-match screen is Geralt for some reason.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

dennyk posted:

The mosaic thing is a visual bug that's been around for ages. You can see your actual moasic in your profile, but the one that shows on the end-of-match screen is Geralt for some reason.

Geralt's there in my profile as well plus the welcome screen:

The only place that properly shows the correct icon is when progress bar under the play button for the ranked ladder:

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
In before the shield wall hotfix 😬

Love the decision to give the boosts engine deck carapace lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Or not. NG seems to eat that deck for breakfast