Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
Can you see the history of rulers of a specific title still?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

What is this orange line going from a character to my capital?

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits

Qubee posted:

What is this orange line going from a character to my capital?

It shows the vassal hierarchy, if you click on a count it shows count > Duke > King.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

I did early start Bohemia after repeatedly getting destroyed as early start Cornwall, and it's really hard if you want to stay pagan. I'm at year 950 and finally got enough levies that I don't have to hide under the Bavarian king to keep my utterly relentless neighbors at bay.

I was planning on reforming the Slavic faith, but all the holy sites are really far away, and I just noticed a shiny new Dismantle the Papacy decision that's giving me ideas for other playthroughs. :unsmigghh:

Party In My Diapee posted:

Can you see the history of rulers of a specific title still?

Yeah, click the book on the top right-ish.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

PepperKeibu posted:

Is there no character finder on the character select screen? Like there is no way to find all playable female rulers other than just randomly clicking counties?

Go into game and do character search for female rulers and sort by rank. In 867 there's seven:
Nelnesla, a duke in Tibet
Anava, Pemka, and Yalgava are finnic pagans
Sarica is a Bashkir Tengrist
Daurama is the Hausa chieftess of Kano
and Audr is the christian chieftess of Vestisland in Iceland

In 1066 there's a bunch so I'm not gonna list em.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
I'm very glad to see that experimental treatments are still in the game. And that it didn't cost me my balls to have my cold cured this time, since I only have daughters at the moment.

Open Layer
Apr 16, 2008

So I've been playing the tutorial and married someone who is living way over in Europe. Is there a way to get them to move to my capital?

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

JosefStalinator posted:

Does anyone else have the issue that some of the little tooltips don't actually stay when you try to mouse over them? It seems to work sometimes, but not always.

Yes, it worked for me consistently until it didn't, now it never seems to work.

No Pants posted:

Yeah, click the book on the top right-ish.

My only complaint is that regnal numbers don't seem to be showing correctly like in CK2. Harald IV of Norway should be shown as Harald III of England for example. Landless characters also don't have their numbers displayed in the ruler history.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
You have to hover over the tooltip in question for a bit. It'll "lock in" the box for you to read, there's a small but visible difference in the border of the text box when that happens.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Open Layer posted:

So I've been playing the tutorial and married someone who is living way over in Europe. Is there a way to get them to move to my capital?

They move only if they don't have their own holdings to rule over. This also means that spouse with land will not help you with state duties and affect your stats. But you'll probably inherit their land so there's a trade-off.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I think the "middle mouse button to lock a tooltip" is probably the pro choice once you get used to it

I find the little progress bar thing on the default mode distracting, and with the third mode the tooltips hang around too long

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Zedhe Khoja posted:

Go into game and do character search for female rulers and sort by rank. In 867 there's seven:
Nelnesla, a duke in Tibet
Anava, Pemka, and Yalgava are finnic pagans
Sarica is a Bashkir Tengrist
Daurama is the Hausa chieftess of Kano
and Audr is the christian chieftess of Vestisland in Iceland

In 1066 there's a bunch so I'm not gonna list em.
Daurama is also among suggested rulers

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Gah, allies actually expect you to help out when you get called to war in an alliance now.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Broken Cog posted:

Gah, allies actually expect you to help out when you get called to war in an alliance now.

The horror!

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
I was playing a multiplayer game with two friends, and I started as Audr in Iceland and after a series of absolute mistakes that ended when she died of old age, the role of Jarl went to some tiny baby. So my heir goes "No way should you be Jarl you're a baby" so he challenges for leadership and the games goes "THE BABY JUST PULLED AN AXE"

I had to explain to my friends multiple times what exactly just happened. That I challenged an age 0 baby for the leadership of Iceland and beat the poo poo out of it cause it pulled an axe on me.

Other than that I'm bad at this game I love it.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Is there a way to get a better Realm Priest besides the old :ese:?

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Sep 2, 2020

Schnitzler
Jul 28, 2006
Toilet Rascal
Not sure if I was the only one confused by this, so I am posting it:
If your main duchy has their own title succession laws, even if they are identical to the ones of your kingdom, the counties within the duchy are split between your heirs.

You can remove these seperate laws for no cost.

Which means you main duchy titles get passed on to your primary heir and are no longer broken up.

I do think this is mentioned in the tutorial, but I did not really understand it until I noticed that my fully owned duchy would be split on succession, as shown in the screenshots above.

Schnitzler fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Sep 2, 2020

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Anyone know where I can see the warhorse I apparently gained? Can't find it as a temp modifier or trait.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Do vassals with their own vassals not ask for help from their boss unless they're also allied? My crew was fighting a defensive war on my turf and I didn't see the war before allying. It was all just neutral armies burning my poo poo down.

It felt like a bug, but it's entirely possible I didn't grasp what was happening. I've been up all night with this dumb game, building a Siberian kingdom from the start as the lowest title holder type. Why is this so fun and good!?

Oh, and boy howdy does the family tree turn into a mix of Dark and GoT real fast when you have 3 concubines. Combine that with the inheritance type where every kid gets a piece, and I learned the hard way to dump titles on vassals and only keep the capital and on the biggest title for myself.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Sep 2, 2020

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

Can you not holy war fellow vassals? The duke of Lombardy became Waldensian but I had no option to declare war except through claims.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

No Pants posted:

I did early start Bohemia after repeatedly getting destroyed as early start Cornwall

I have also been repeatedly destroyed as early start Cornwall, I think the 867 bloodbath is making small realms basically unplayable unless you can pledge fealty to someone.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Wars are so much easier to win/lose when you don't have to run all over the place burning down every town, bishopric, and lemonade stand in order to get full war score.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal
I don't mind Cornwall being raided in 867, that seems fair enough, but I'm not so sure that any and every Norse ruler should be claiming my county. It's not as if Cornish levies could really help out much in the Orkneys.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
So I’ve only recently gotten into 2 for real, after bouncing off of several attempts to do so over the years and I’m really loving it and have a decent grasp on the basics.

This release has got me tempted to jump in even though I’ve only recently gotten my first kingdom title in two. Is it worth just jumping straight into 3? Some of the new mechanics sound awesome and so far don’t see many complaints about it being “incomplete” like 2 was on launch. So I’m pretty tempted

sloppy portmanteau
Feb 4, 2019
I did as the tutorial suggested and married my son off to some faraway princess, he got captured in some siege and he's been imprisoned for a few years, his wife mysteriously getting pregnant in the meantime.

Now, he's my only son and I need him out of jail and to get busy making some more heirs. But his jailer is too far away to interact with, so how can I get him out? Also is it possible to get him to divorce his wife or will I have to assassinate her? The infidelity doesn't bother me so much as the distance, I need to find him a wife a bit closer to home, England or Scotland maybe. Divorce should be possible with the Popes approval, but I'm not finding any option to.

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta
I fought two minor wars last night and it was AWESOME that I didn't need to get 100% warscore to enforce demands, plus the new battle system is neat. Time to make my failsons knights and have them carved up by the Muslims in Spain.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Is there a mapmode that shows your domain, like there was in CK2?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Okay, some hangups I'm having:

1) Marriage is pretty confusing. I get given a big list of names and I can differentiate between nobility and lowborn, but it's such a slog figuring out where each woman lives. I have to right click each one, zoom to their location, zoom out, and see how far it is from my kingdom. I don't really wanna marry people off to women on the far flung corners of the earth, I'd rather consolidate power and marry off to neighbouring kingdoms. Any advice on how to make this less of a painful experience?

2) Borders and De Jure stuff and Dutchies / Counties. I was playing as Hvitserk the Viking (or whatever his name is) and conquered huge swathes of land. I then ended up exceeding my domain limit, so I went to the County map mode and started doling out entire county titles to my brothers / sons - is this a good tactic? My reasoning was it's probably best to keep family members in lucrative positions of power rather than handing off titles to randoms. Are the borders in the pic below entire Dutchies or? Is there an easy way to see what counties fall under which dutchies etc. And finally, what determines whether I seize the title when I conquer land versus the original owner just becoming my vassal and holding onto the title?

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Qubee posted:

1) Marriage is pretty confusing. I get given a big list of names and I can differentiate between nobility and lowborn, but it's such a slog figuring out where each woman lives. I have to right click each one, zoom to their location, zoom out, and see how far it is from my kingdom. I don't really wanna marry people off to women on the far flung corners of the earth, I'd rather consolidate power and marry off to neighbouring kingdoms. Any advice on how to make this less of a painful experience?

2) Borders and De Jure stuff and Dutchies / Counties. I was playing as Hvitserk the Viking (or whatever his name is) and conquered huge swathes of land. I then ended up exceeding my domain limit, so I went to the County map mode and started doling out entire county titles to my brothers / sons - is this a good tactic? My reasoning was it's probably best to keep family members in lucrative positions of power rather than handing off titles to randoms. Are the borders in the pic below entire Dutchies or? Is there an easy way to see what counties fall under which dutchies etc. And finally, what determines whether I seize the title when I conquer land versus the original owner just becoming my vassal and holding onto the title?

Fairly sure it tells you the culture and religion of your potential spouse on the selection screen. You can tell the rough area where they live from there.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Ireland 19 years into the 867 start date.

Frida Call Me fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Sep 2, 2020

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012
Ah sweet after 3 daughters I finally get a son! 3 months later he gets pneunomia. A month later hes dead :gonk:

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I feel like Harold Hadrada wins way too often in the war for the English throne. I don't think I've seen anyone else win yet.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Qubee posted:

Imo marrying for claims is a waste of time and effort. Generally you want to marry for two reasons

1. The person is an heir to a realm, or (more likely) close enough in succession that you can assassinate the people higher in succession after the marriage. Note: remember that if your child is female you have to have matrilinial marriage for this to work

2. Your spouse has good stats, especially if they have inheritable traits (shown in a circle in the middle of their list card). You get half (?) of your spouse's skills applied to your own so if you have a wife with 15 diplomacy that is a huge chunk towards your own ability.

For option 1 you can go to your neighbors and look for whatever kids they have that are unmarried, shooting for third or fourth in line because otherwise it is unlikely that the marriage will be accepted. For option 2 you can just go to the marriage screen and look for whoever has big numbers and/or traits.

A signficiant part of CK is literally breeding traits into your bloodline so don't be afraid to marry some far flung dung farmer that has the "strong" inheritable trait. The prestige hit will be nothing if you have a decent flow of it going.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
I found a cool and interesting (and a little difficult) start in 1066 as Count Skofte of Vingulmork in Norway. King Harald isn't your rightful liege as your county is part of a de Jure duchy that hasn't been created yet. Your taxes are reduced because of this. Your bishop doesn't like you and your vassal mayor isn't very skilled but demands the job. It's a pretty heavy Intrigue Focused start, but thankfully your Spymaster is a 17 year old Elusive Shadow who can educate your Heir.

Having tons of fun with this so far!

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Sometimes I get the good roll on which intrigue tree i get and I get to be the Murder-Countess of Bar

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

lalaland posted:

Ah sweet after 3 daughters I finally get a son! 3 months later he gets pneunomia. A month later hes dead :gonk:

:xcom:

But...er...CK3.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
Out of morbid curiosity, I checked mods on the Workshop. There is already Bronze Age total conversion mod, some cheats and... this

They tore away my ability to respect anything, and they tore away my ability to feel human.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~

Gorelab posted:

I feel like Harold Hadrada wins way too often in the war for the English throne. I don't think I've seen anyone else win yet.

William of Normandy won in my tutorial game. I was a little disappointed, hoping for something more ahistorical.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

this dude rebelled against me when i was 12 and newly queen with a massive army, i just about beat him into a draw with a big merc army using all of the wealth left to me, then executed his wife and married him

hes very happy about it

my aunt seceded somehow and became her own queen in my territory which im not happy about, she looks extremely smug about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

Do you think we’ll see the official twitter account of Armenia tweet about this game a bunch like they did ck2? I feel like the decision to restore great Armenia would make them pretty pumped