Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

my stepdads beer posted:

why evga or asus what's the difference in all these board makers

probably very little, but i've just had evga cards for a while and i like em

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
theres usually some difference, like if they stay close to the reference design or roll their own pcb layout, and if they deviate, is it for cost savings or increased performance. i havent kept up with this stuff in a long time so i dont know who does what anymore, though

used to be xfx could get you a lifetime warranty, so it was worth tolerating the green color scheme for that alone, but i dont think anyone offers that anymore

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I'm jizzin' for Ryzen!

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
caught up with the thread and I must say that this discussion about coolers and foreskin was illuminating

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i think last time i bought parts, evga tended to have better warranties

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
I bought a 970 a few years back and the 1070 dropped less than a month later. EVGA had an upgrade program ( can't remember the window) where you could send your card back and pay the difference from what you paid to MSRP of what you were upgrading to. It was totally worth it.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
grats

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

my stepdads beer posted:

why evga or asus what's the difference in all these board makers

mostly cooling solutions. previous nvidia reference cards all had terrible cooling so it was up to the vendors to fix. thats why nvidia made a big deal of their cooling solution for the 30 series.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I'm astounded that the MSRPs didn't jump to the moon. If those claimed performance figures are true I might actually buy a high end video card when I upgrade my desktop later this year.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
going from a 1060 to a 3080 would be a pretty big jump, and I imagine that card would last me for ages

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I'm astounded that the MSRPs didn't jump to the moon. If those claimed performance figures are true I might actually buy a high end video card when I upgrade my desktop later this year.

they already bumped up the pricing from historical levels for the 20 series and i think they realized they werent gonna be able to get another bump, especially given how poorly the 20 series was received.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

going from a 1060 to a 3080 would be a pretty big jump, and I imagine that card would last me for ages

that's what i'm gonna do. now, people's expectations have kinda been corrupted by a very overpriced generation preceded by the mining craze, but these things are offering 50% more perf / dollar than i would have expected had you asked me one week ago.

e: ya what shaggar said

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

same, but I have a 970. i wonder if my psu will melt

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i'm just going to do an all new build. with the exception of the 1060 (edit: and the SSD) everything else will be over seven years old by the time i upgrade.

gonna get me one of them big Ryzen chips too.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

do it. i love my ryzen 3900 and i think i'm gonna replace my 1060 (kept from previous machine) with a 3080.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

do it. i love my ryzen 3900 and i think i'm gonna replace my 1060 (kept from previous machine) with a 3080.

same but 3700x and maybe replacing my 1060 with a 3070

or wait for a hypothetical 3060 or see if AMD makes a good card again. $500 is still loving expensive, and I'm cheap plus I don't game THAT much

let's hear it for "ok with turning down the graphics sometimes" crew

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
settings on high, just learn to live with 24fps: it was good enough for tv in the 50s and it’s still good enough today

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I’m annoyed I can’t just pre-order a 3080

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the nerds in the gray forums are saying they won't actually have them ready in any quantity until next year.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

echinopsis posted:

settings on high, just learn to live with 24fps: it was good enough for tv in the 50s and it’s still good enough today

you must have had lovely televisions in nz

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

the nerds in the gray forums are saying they won't actually have them ready in any quantity until next year.

they have no idea, just speculating like everyone else

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Sagebrush posted:

i have a buddy who does the whole churning and reselling thing. i believe you could make 5 figgies sniping these and reselling them for the first few months and know he's planning on it. it's gonna be a shitshow.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

judging from online sentiment its going to be a pretty popular launch as everyone with 10 series cards is looking to upgrade and there are lots of people with 10 series cards. I also wonder if board partners are gonna limit their supplies after the 20 series wasnt so successful.

but yeah nobody knows. i want a 3090 tho. idk what im gonna do for cpu cause i still dont believe in amd

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Sagebrush posted:

booooo!

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Shaggar posted:

judging from online sentiment its going to be a pretty popular launch as everyone with 10 series cards is looking to upgrade and there are lots of people with 10 series cards. I also wonder if board partners are gonna limit their supplies after the 20 series wasnt so successful.

but yeah nobody knows. i want a 3090 tho. idk what im gonna do for cpu cause i still dont believe in amd

amd believes in you : )

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

akadajet posted:

you must have had lovely televisions in nz

PAL television refresh rate is 25 Hz, interlaced.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

you'd never really refer to PAL as 25hz. PAL is 50hz

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

every time our news got a NTSC clip it was obviously poor quality and all washed out colours. hard to believe americans tolerated such garbage

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
Never
Twice the
Same
Colors

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

my stepdads beer posted:

every time our news got a NTSC clip it was obviously poor quality and all washed out colours. hard to believe americans tolerated such garbage

yeah it's hard to believe Americans would stick with and even actively defend the use of entrenched inferior systems when superior alternatives are in use in the actual developed world

*gets in suv, drives self a distance measured in miles to the emergency room so I don't get stuck with an ambulance bill on top of the medical bills*

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Penguissimo posted:

yeah it's hard to believe Americans would stick with and even actively defend the use of entrenched inferior systems when superior alternatives are in use in the actual developed world

*gets in suv, drives self a distance measured in miles to the emergency room so I don't get stuck with an ambulance bill on top of the medical bills*

...cheques

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

my stepdads beer posted:

the way ntsc was developed it was essentially impossible to play ntsc video correctly on any other system, so no-one bothered trying

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

my stepdads beer posted:

better than having all movies sound like alvin and the chipmunks

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

oh I’m sure

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

DamnGlitch posted:

oh I’m sure

I want to experience some thread ripping.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
wheres my workstation laptop with a 3990x and RTX 3090 ?????????

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

pram posted:

wheres my workstation laptop with a 3990x and RTX 3090 ?????????

in the middle of your house which will be on fire

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
The Nanometer Myth

E: The Thread-Ripping Myth? :shrug:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i discovered that gopro's stitching software is fully multithreaded so i am happily ripping thos threads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
drat that must feel good