Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Based on the wiki, I think I figured out what caused my dynasty head to bounce around to random people. My house is the strongest in my dynasty, but at some point I ended up playing as someone outside the line of my "primary heir" due to Tanistry, as in I elected my 2nd or 3rd child instead of my 1st. Apparently the house head position only gets passed down through the "primary heir" so I have no idea how I'll ever get it back now, unless I form another cadet branch (maybe I'll try this when I finally get Primogeniture).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
dunno if this was answered earlier or what, but, is there any way I can just let the AI control my army or merge it with an ally?? I don't feel like micro'ing my small 4000 person army in a crusade so it wont get smashed by a muslim doomstack.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

The Little Kielbasa posted:

Does anyone else find the new map hard to parse sometimes?

I find it easier to use if I make it show faiths most of the time.

I do miss the Diplo relations map option as well, finding out where I should send my army is harder now.

And speaking of diplomatic relationships - is there somewhere I can see my liege's opinion of another vassal? I've only found my fellow vassal's attitude to the liege.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Some more questions after goons helped me last time:

I'm king of Ireland but my vassals are infighting. One of my trusted vassals apparently started a war with my idiot heir and captured him. So I ransomed my idiot heir and then the warring vassal captured my granddaughter but immediately released her. If this guy has a high opinion of me why the hell is he fighting my children? Also, I'm the king! Can't I tell him to knock it off? The game didn't really give me any notifications or options here. It seems important that my vassals are fighting eachother.

I still don't get claims! I invited claimants to my court but they were all from random rear end places that were not easily accessible. I guess I would need to give them titles (or make them my courtier?) to press those claims? It was still way easier to just fabricate a claim on the Hebrides and start conquering Scotland. It feels weird and super "gamey" that my world conquering plans are enabled completely by my Bishop declaring, repeatedly, "No no no you see King Brian has a legit claim here and here and here and there and everywhere"

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Oh dear me posted:

I do miss the Diplo relations map option as well, finding out where I should send my army is harder now.
Yeah unless there's something I've missed the only map mode thing I really miss is being able to visualize who I have CBs on.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

ultrachrist posted:

Some more questions after goons helped me last time:

I'm king of Ireland but my vassals are infighting. One of my trusted vassals apparently started a war with my idiot heir and captured him. So I ransomed my idiot heir and then the warring vassal captured my granddaughter but immediately released her. If this guy has a high opinion of me why the hell is he fighting my children? Also, I'm the king! Can't I tell him to knock it off? The game didn't really give me any notifications or options here. It seems important that my vassals are fighting eachother.

I still don't get claims! I invited claimants to my court but they were all from random rear end places that were not easily accessible. I guess I would need to give them titles (or make them my courtier?) to press those claims? It was still way easier to just fabricate a claim on the Hebrides and start conquering Scotland. It feels weird and super "gamey" that my world conquering plans are enabled completely by my Bishop declaring, repeatedly, "No no no you see King Brian has a legit claim here and here and here and there and everywhere"

High Crown Authority makes vassal infighting impossible unless they have a hook on you.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

anybody got debug mode running on Gamepass?

i really wanna see who is assassinating me just before i make my empire. or are plots just seeded to always go a certain way once they start?
no matter what i do it succeeds at around about the same time even with super skilled spymasters and stuff

e: even if i go back two years and make all my vassals like me they still kill me around the same time and never get discovered

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Sep 2, 2020

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Having a fun time as an Irish minor but dang it’s not as easy as everyone says? I started as the dude who is a vassal but has a claim to the throne of Ireland. But like dam Vikings just swarming everyone and the Pale (or whatever) is held by some Scottish chump Viking with like thousands and thousands of levies.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Having a fun time as an Irish minor but dang it’s not as easy as everyone says? I started as the dude who is a vassal but has a claim to the throne of Ireland. But like dam Vikings just swarming everyone and the Pale (or whatever) is held by some Scottish chump Viking with like thousands and thousands of levies.

Ireland is a very different place in 867 than it is in 1066.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
I think the one criticism I have after 4 hours is that the event density makes it difficult to track everything. If there was a mechanic to sort of let the game know what your intentions are so it could alert you to events that might affect your goal it would be a bit easier. For example if my goal was to unify Ireland the game would have a contextual pop-up from an advisor everytime something occured that would potentially threaten that goal (claimants, vassel infighting, alliances etc).

Defining those events from a design standpoint would be tough. Don't ask me to program that poo poo, goddamn what a nightmare.

edit: the real answer to this problem is probably "don't play on the fastest speed" but whatever man!!

Gorman Thomas fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Sep 2, 2020

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

How do you guys deal with Scotland jumping on vassalizing you as you get stronger in Ireland? Three playthroughs now where they attack when I'm at 5 or 6 counties strong (I restarted for other reasons, to try different things). Current playthrough I surrendered and bent the knee, but it doesn't look like I'll have the levies to compete for Independence any time soon.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

I really dislike how wars nuke your raiders.
If you have a group out raiding, then enter a war(declared on, alliance, liege, etc.), then the group that's out raiding will convert from raiding to a normal war party the moment they get back to your area to drop off the loot.

It's very annoying because sometimes I want to keep looting someone while being at war with someone else. Which is very possible when you're playing as Ivar the Boneless, or as Jorvik, since both of them start out with 4000-5000 special troops.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

ultrachrist posted:

It isn't unusual for people with claims to have them for random counties in the middle of far off nations, remember that you are seeing the people that would be willing to come to your court, which means that they have few ties to their home. The places directly around you won't have many people willing to come to your court because of political difference between you and them, versus far off places that have some king's sixth cousin twice removed that doesn't even know who you are.

As for fabricating claims, remember that the primary way to get claims is by forming dutchies by conquering half of the dutchy, then capturing the other half once it is formed and you get de jure CB on them as their liege lord. Fabricating claims is easier than it used to be, but pressing them tends to be more expensive, so it balances out. You should only be fabricating them to get the counties to form dutchies, then go from there.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Mantis42 posted:

Oh I figured it out I think. It did go to my brother, but he automatically became a vassal of the other duke because it was in his de jure duchy. That really sucks, I was trying to usurp that title and now I'm weaker than ever. It's hard to get good allies as a Count.

If you are only a count any other counts cannot be your vassals. On succession your brother should have become an independent count. He may have been made an immediate offer to be vassal to the de jure Duke and accepted (he may have been too weak to resist or liked him a lot) before you saw.

Alternatively is it possible he was already in that Duke's court? I'm not sure how CK3 works but when you press someone in your court's claim they become your vassal. It might do it automatically on succession too if they are de jure titles and in your court?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

canepazzo posted:

How do you guys deal with Scotland jumping on vassalizing you as you get stronger in Ireland? Three playthroughs now where they attack when I'm at 5 or 6 counties strong (I restarted for other reasons, to try different things). Current playthrough I surrendered and bent the knee, but it doesn't look like I'll have the levies to compete for Independence any time soon.

What CB are they using to attack? Usually nations aren't that aggressive in regards to fabricating claims early in the game. Are you marrying off one of your relatives to the scots that would give them a claim on your lands?

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

CuddleCryptid posted:

It is a bit annoying, but at the same time one good thing about CK is that the rules are consistent for everyone. So it sucks as a ruler, but if you end up playing as a vassal then it makes sense because otherwise you could never take the marshal role, otherwise your liege could just steal all your troops whenever they felt like it and you couldn't gain new land.

great point!

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

CuddleCryptid posted:

What CB are they using to attack? Usually nations aren't that aggressive in regards to fabricating claims early in the game. Are you marrying off one of your relatives to the scots that would give them a claim on your lands?

They're vassalizing me. I don't lose any titles, they just become my Liege. I think a king gets a casus belli like that on neighbouring dukes.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

canepazzo posted:

They're vassalizing me. I don't lose any titles, they just become my Liege. I think a king gets a casus belli like that on neighbouring dukes.

A king should only get a CB on dukes if they are part of their de jure kingdom (the lands within the border of the kingdom they set up for themselves, even if they don't own them yet). If you haven't spread outside of mainland Ireland then he shouldn't have that kind of CB on you. But its hard to say without of seeing it.

E. Or do you mean that they are just demanding that you become their vassal? Because you can just refuse, and then they would have to use force to make you do it.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Sep 2, 2020

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

SubNat posted:

Annoying AI is trying to run around you? There's a dedicated 'leave enough to siege' button that lets you station enough of your stack to keep sieging, while the main part of the force goes on the hunt.

From several pages back, but where is this button? I was looking for it last night and couldn't find it.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

How do you actually fight wars in this game? The AI will declare war only to attempt a siege some backwater in my kingdom and then run away as soon my army gets near. I have to chase them halfway across the British isles to get them to actually fight so I can end the war, it's extremely annoying.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

CuddleCryptid posted:

A king should only get a CB on dukes if they are part of their de jure kingdom (the lands within the border of the kingdom they set up for themselves, even if they don't own them yet). If you haven't spread outside of mainland Ireland then he shouldn't have that kind of CB on you. But its hard to say without of seeing it.

E. Or do you mean that they are just demanding that you become their vassal? Because you can just refuse, and then they would have to use force to make you do it.

So the situation is, I'm in Ireland, got 5 counties in Ireland, and out of the blue, he declares war with the vassalization CB/War goal. There was no request to bend the knee, just a direct DoW.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
I don't understand what makes me have a clan government. Some of my vassals are fuedals. Is it being persians or nestorians?
Either way city holding are useless because I can't put mayors in charge so they make no money or levies.

I can convert both my culture and religion and it doesn't change anything.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

For the first few decades I was worried about things getting too blobby but after a period of initial expansion, both the HRE and the Byzantines have really screwed the pooch. The Byzantines in particular had an Emperor go Paulician and caused generations of civil war and Crusades until eventually a French Catholic took the throne. This is what was causing me to have trouble getting allies - as a vassal I converted along with the Basileus but then had a small pool of people who didn't consider me a heretic to choose from. Now I'm Catholic and the Duke who was eating my lands is independent so I've been striking back with Holy Wars.

Also the Doge of Venice is a nudist.

Zero One posted:

If you are only a count any other counts cannot be your vassals. On succession your brother should have become an independent count. He may have been made an immediate offer to be vassal to the de jure Duke and accepted (he may have been too weak to resist or liked him a lot) before you saw.

Alternatively is it possible he was already in that Duke's court? I'm not sure how CK3 works but when you press someone in your court's claim they become your vassal. It might do it automatically on succession too if they are de jure titles and in your court?

Yea it was the first one. Partition succession screwed me.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Ojetor posted:

How do you actually fight wars in this game? The AI will declare war only to attempt a siege some backwater in my kingdom and then run away as soon my army gets near. I have to chase them halfway across the British isles to get them to actually fight so I can end the war, it's extremely annoying.

Attack their castles and use the button on the siege UI to leave behind enough soldiers to maintain the siege. Use the leftover soldiers to run interference on their armies.

If they only hold a single county then you usually will instantly get 100% warscore (which allows you to enforce demands) as soon as their castle falls, so even if they do lay siege you're fine as long as you start your siege first. If you are short on troops then drive them off then just park them all at their castle and wait, if you start splintering there is a risk of them taking them out piecemeal

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Sep 2, 2020

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

E. Quote is not edit

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Look border gore is great and all, but uhhh this seems a bit much

Also I know you guys are based in Sweden, but lets pump the brakes on Swedish bias! Sweden in England, Wales, Ireland, Spain, France, Sicily, North Africa, Sardinia, and Netherlands.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Gorman Thomas posted:

I think the one criticism I have after 4 hours is that the event density makes it difficult to track everything. If there was a mechanic to sort of let the game know what your intentions are so it could alert you to events that might affect your goal it would be a bit easier. For example if my goal was to unify Ireland the game would have a contextual pop-up from an advisor everytime something occured that would potentially threaten that goal (claimants, vassel infighting, alliances etc).

Defining those events from a design standpoint would be tough. Don't ask me to program that poo poo, goddamn what a nightmare.

edit: the real answer to this problem is probably "don't play on the fastest speed" but whatever man!!

Don't play on the fastest speed sure, but the one thing I'm missing from CK2 is the ability to very granularly select what kinds of event and messages will trigger a pop-up, some simple logging text (at three different levels!), and auto-pausing on certain events rather than just the one that get the full-screen treatment.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Why did they get rid of the shortcut to detach sieges anyways? That's one of the most useful hotkeys in Paradox games.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
poo poo gently caress OH GOD

Okay so I'm minding my own business as the king of Romagne. I started off as Mathilde of Tuscany, so I'm under the HRE. I have no idea how, but my son and heir owned Kiev. When he died of a wound with no heirs, I inherited it. I did not want Kiev, so I gave it to a rando and then gave vassalage to my liege for free friendship. Liege immediately decided I loving rocked and became friends. Then he died.

Now I am emperor of the HRE. I had no idea I was even in the running, what am I doing oh, god

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

canepazzo posted:

So the situation is, I'm in Ireland, got 5 counties in Ireland, and out of the blue, he declares war with the vassalization CB/War goal. There was no request to bend the knee, just a direct DoW.

Per the wiki there are some advanced lifestyle perks you can get that offer different CBs. Forced vassalization is one. It doesn't seem to have any restrictions like being de jure.

https://ck3.paradoxwikis.com/Casus_belli

nekoxid
Mar 17, 2009

So uh... I don't know if this is a bug or not, but I cannot use the hook I have on this dude (to get him into my court), because I somehow don't have a hook I can use on him?

Am I doing something wrong here?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

nekoxid posted:

So uh... I don't know if this is a bug or not, but I cannot use the hook I have on this dude (to get him into my court), because I somehow don't have a hook I can use on him?

You don't have a hook, you have a secret. You have to click "blackmail for hook" to get a hook. It's a bit confusing at first glance.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

you can get mods off the paradox site if you're on gamepass btw

used some cheating to end_schemes against me, turns out i was literally 6 months away from forming imperial hausaland after hours of playing so yeah, gently caress that assassin

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

nekoxid posted:

You know his secret but he doesn't know you know. You must blackmail him and have him accept the blackmail to get the hook. If he declines your blackmail the secret becomes public (and you have no hook).

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Midnight Voyager posted:

Now I am emperor of the HRE. I had no idea I was even in the running, what am I doing oh, god

Give all the HRE vassals independence so you can stay in Italia and just grill for God's sake.

nekoxid
Mar 17, 2009

Magil Zeal posted:

You don't have a hook, you have a secret. You have to click "blackmail for hook" to get a hook. It's a bit confusing at first glance.

Zero One posted:

You know his secret but he doesn't know you know. You must blackmail him and have him accept the blackmail to get the hook. If he declines your blackmail the secret becomes public (and you have no hook).

Oh! Thanks!

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Mantis42 posted:

Why did they get rid of the shortcut to detach sieges anyways? That's one of the most useful hotkeys in Paradox games.

There's still a button on the UI, not sure about a hotkey tho

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
Allies call for my help in war way too much. I get that we're all viking bros up north but I really don't feel like bankrupting my tiny kingdom to help Bjorn Ironside expand east for the 50th time in two years.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

CuddleCryptid posted:

What if I told you there was another way to incorporate a notebook into your game

Does it involve using a notebook in real life, with an actual pen?

I'm quickly losing track of Ireland, I'm doing a decent enough job at conquering it, but a lot of my vassals are dying and the title either passes onto their kids - who hate me - or passes back to me, which is nice. But figuring out a surefire method of taking counties and holding onto the title myself to hand out as I see fit is still something that eludes me. I'm sick of these loving morons demanding a seat on the council with their crappy stats, I'd rather befriend powerful characters and bestow them with titles.

My kids also keep passing the age of 6 and I don't get a notification, so I keep missing out on the opportunities to educate them in what I want and hand them off to a suitable guardian. The future of Ireland is looking phenomenal though, I've got a whole horde of little shits being trained in the art of war, subterfuge, management and diplomacy. They're going to kick rear end when they come of age. I'm just figuring out how I can hand them all titles so they can happily take up seats in the council, rather than Old Grumpy McFarts yelling about his lack of seating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

there is a serious bug where the game keeps slipping out of ironman, anyone else encounter this?

started as ironman, a few years later it falls out of it. never loaded a game, never saved, never quit the game