Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I applied to do a Batchelors at the OU and applied for finance. Just need to find my bloody birth certificate!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I would be sad to lose 6Music and who the gently caress else is going to pay for Jonathan Meades to for a four part series on the architectural legacy of 20th century European dictators.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Dead Goon posted:

I applied to do a Batchelors at the OU and applied for finance. Just need to find my bloody birth certificate!
Won't a death certificate do?

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Isomermaid posted:

I dunno, I think the Socrates quote is more "kids these days..." which is intergenerational snark. The modern equivalent of that is complaining about smashed avocado snowflakes.

This is more getting misty eyed about smokeless fuels and pining for the coal fires you knew as a girl, back when you could send children up chimneys. And it's not the fires specifically, it's wanting to live forever in the safe bubble of your youth, and being prepared to put other people at risk and increased hardship to get it. And if you ever did get it, it would be everything else, and you'd just keep sacrificing people to try and rebuild the past one brick at a time.

Portuguese has the word Saudade for this kind of pining for 'the good old days'. Apparently Welsh has the equivalent Hiraeth but i cant tell if it's a legit everyday word or just an Instagram tattoo word.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Dead Goon posted:

Get a replacement one here:

https://www.gov.uk/order-copy-birth-death-marriage-certificate

kecske posted:

Portuguese has the word Saudade for this kind of pining for 'the good old days'. Apparently Welsh has the equivalent Hiraeth but i cant tell if it's a legit everyday word or just an Instagram tattoo word.

According to Google Translate it's Welsh for 'nostalgia'

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

communism bitch posted:

Yeah well I've got a Duke paying for mine and I won't have anything to pay back so shove that up your arse lol
I hope this is the husband of your Duchess friend ;-*

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

kecske posted:

That’s interesting, I learned saudade as just being the way to tell someone you miss them. Strange to think of people going around being nostalgic for each other.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

sinky posted:

Seems the galaxy brain data scientist types Cummings hires still aren't smart enough to stop tweeting
https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1301173948894281730?s=20

We regret to inform you Misfit Duck is racist

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

kecske posted:

Back in my day we just remembered the word instead of getting it printed on our skin like some delinquent thug :bahgawd:

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
an entire generation of people who have fully ronald reagan'ed, convincing themselves they fought in world war 2

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Also that everyone's soft now, but are absolutely outraged at having to wheel their bin down the jitty rather than have strange men in their back yards.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Who could have foreseen the whole book would be bollocks

https://twitter.com/schneiderhome/status/1301195002119299073?s=19

Nutapii
Jun 24, 2020

Bobstar posted:

https://twitter.com/gdimelow/status/1300901493869031425?s=21

The bins! THE BINS! The bins are too safe and practical! :bahgawd:

I am absolutely positive the couldn't lace their boots bit gives this away as a parody page, like that Keir Starmer fans one. Dr Sands extended universe?

bessantj posted:

Rule, Britannia! Back on the Menu!

Makes you proud to be British that such a non story can get so much column inches. :britain:

You would think a media organisation would be better at communication - "we didn't do Rule Britannia because we didn't want it to look and sound terrible due to distancing, we're focusing on small/solo acts" isn't exactly hard to repeat.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Nutapii posted:

You would think a media organisation would be better at communication - "we didn't do Rule Britannia because we didn't want it to look and sound terrible due to distancing, we're focusing on small/solo acts" isn't exactly hard to repeat.

They communicated exactly what they meant to.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jose posted:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

ThomasPaine posted:

Can confirm that the on the occasions I've been on JSA/UC their tone has completely changed when they see my education history and realise I can go through all the motions of middle class etiquette. They often then were openly rude about other claiments but implied I was somehow not like them. They barely even tried to hide their contempt for what they saw as the 'undeserving' poor.

The whole system seems designed to hurt those who earnestly try to follow the rules, while perhaps more savvy (and yes, usually more middle class!) people who know what the real point of the system is can get out of most of the real work involved with lies and bluster. For example you don't have to actually apply to x number of jobs, you just need to convincingly say you did. None of this is an accident.
The interesting thing is I've been on both sides of it. I've applied in a lovely, rich university town in the south which had less than 1% unemployment back in the early 2000s, and been told not to worry about it. I was seen as a well educated sort fallen on hard times, who just needed help getting back on my feet. I could turn down any jobs I wanted because they took me at my word about my disability. Basically turn up once a week for a chat to see if they could help find a job.

After almost bankrupting myself trying to live in said town in the mid 2000s, I had to move back to my parents house in a northern town, where I was sanctioned for forgetting my log book, told they would need to see evidence I had been searching, and was told my disability wasn't a 'real excuse' for not taking public facing jobs, even though I wasn't formally claiming any support for it.

Last time I tried to claim (different town again, complete dump in the middle of oxfordshire) I was told I can expect the grand total of £16 a month and money back on dental / eyecare I can't afford anyway, in exchange for jumping through an exhausing and punitive set of hoops every day and my disability scrutinised every few months.

Even the application process is now openly hostile. Welfare access in the UK is now the equivalent of the HHGTTG planning application which was left 'on display for everyone,' in a locked filing cabinet in the basement of the council offices, with a sign on the door reading 'beware of the leopard.'

And I still had to endure a lecture from my father in law about how easy it is for fackin immygrunts to come over here and have em handed right to em along with a free house.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Sep 2, 2020

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Bully journalists at all times. Pants them if you see them in the street. Make their lives not worth the money Murdoch pays them.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The world needs more gorblimey trousers.

I once stuck that through Google Translate (in the style of Google Translate Sings). It came out as:

My father is a garbage collector
He wears the hat of the garbage collector
Oh my god! He wears pants!
And lives in a council flat

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

ThomasPaine posted:

Can confirm that the on the occasions I've been on JSA/UC their tone has completely changed when they see my education history and realise I can go through all the motions of middle class etiquette. They often then were openly rude about other claiments but implied I was somehow not like them. They barely even tried to hide their contempt for what they saw as the 'undeserving' poor.

god, the difference between being a long term unemployed immigrant on jobseekers for the years i needed to claim it compared to the temporary period after i claimed it as i was made redundant was stark. they treat you like poo poo regardless but they for sure treat some more like poo poo than others.

i remember i was sitting there, middle classly reading, when a dude in a full tracksuit also was waiting to be served. the worker needed to address us both and the way she spoke to the middle-class and class signifyingly polite claimant versus him was insane. several times she would say something to him like she was talking to a dog, turn around and say the same thing to me all sweetness and light. me and the dude shared several like, wtf is this poo poo glances between each other.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I've always been treated fairly well at the job centre but I am in Newcastle where people largely aren't Tory cunts

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Nutapii posted:

I am absolutely positive the couldn't lace their boots bit gives this away as a parody page, like that Keir Starmer fans one. Dr Sands extended universe?

I think the whole thing was a bit of a purposeful farce to get the gammons riled up. For what? I'm not sure. To remind them why they vote tory possibly? The world is a scary place full of antifas and leftistists and corbryns and if you don't vote tory you'll have to pay reparations to *looks at note* everyone!?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Bobstar posted:

https://twitter.com/gdimelow/status/1300901493869031425?s=21

The bins! THE BINS! The bins are too safe and practical! :bahgawd:

Remember the chimney sweep children!?!?!
Remember how gleeful they would be when you needed your chimney swept and you threw a thrupapenny bit on the ground in their vague direction and they happily fought over it while you laughed.
Remember how they would cough and splutter, but still be happy and give out a joke while you were swinging brushes and pokers at them.
And they thanked you for it, yes they did!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A whole society built around people who can only imagine their bins being collected, not doing the collecting.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Dead Goon posted:

how many of us are retreating back to academia lol

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

A whole society built around people who can only imagine their bins being collected, not doing the collecting.

Ah the days when we had nothing, but you know we were happy. All you needed was the Queen on TV at Christmas, the PM in a crisp suit and enough alcohol on the weekend to get us through the coming week.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
What kind of crisp?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

What kind of crisp?

Prawn Cocktail, no doubt.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
It's not just the JobCentres that treat the working and middle classes differently. A friend used to volunteer at the local court supporting people fighting eviction, and the staff were almost always incredibly aggressive towards them. And, of course, the people attending - who were on edge and worried they were about to be made homeless - responded in kind. It was a vicious circle, where everybody was constantly ready for a confrontation.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Jose posted:

I've always been treated fairly well at the job centre but I am in Newcastle where people largely aren't Tory cunts

I've been in the job centre signing on, and I've been in there more recently to fix stuff and it's amazing how many times they simply forget that I'm there to the point where I have to cough to remind them that someone can hear the derogatory poo poo they've just said a claimant who they've redirected to a different part of the building. I also take great joy in knocking a copier offline and telling them that yes, they have to find another one to use; no, I can't give an estimate for how long this will take and yes, if you keep talking to me, it will be longer

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Time to repost this then I think. Some Vice stuff is pretty good. https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/z3bmk8/unemployed-art-school-graduate-job-diary

Also my post from last time we discussed this - now looking at the difference between the two I wonder if the first person just put me into the "shouldn't really be here" pile and that was the resulting experience, whereas the second time around the person gave 0 fucks.

Red Oktober posted:

A lot of that is horrifyingly real for me during my second redundancy. The first one (2010 or so) was fine - helpful job centre advisor who got my experience (she had similar before joining the JC) and that they would have very little for me and helped me pass the hoops while I did my own search.

The second in 2016 was a risky different matter. Much more regimented. You must apply to these roles. 5 per week. One was a banking director at 160k/year which I pointed out was probably a teeny bit above my level. Doesn’t matter, apply or get sanctioned.

Absolutely useless.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Jose posted:

How is anyone credulous enough to believe that a 35-year MP thinks that randos can propose amendments

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You don't become a tory because you're bright, but you do think you are, and because you're thick you have to assume everyone else is thicker, somehow.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

You don't become a tory because you're bright, but you do think you are, and because you're thick you have to assume everyone else is thicker, somehow.

Also, the only people who'll be reading that book are people who want to read all about what a fool Corbyn is. So why not embellish the living poo poo out of every story, if it gives you a better chance of one day joining the ranks of professional political pundit.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Camrath posted:

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/who-invented-fudge

Interesting article you might like if you get a few minutes:

America’s Early Female College Students Held Illicit Fudge Parties
“Vassar chocolates” became emblems of women’s education.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/AndrewBowie_MP/status/1300889500395212800?s=19

https://twitter.com/AndrewBowie_MP/status/1301257405255299073?s=19

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Now forever known to me as 6 Chip Twat

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Scottish tory 6 chip twat is the 'briefcase wanker' of 2020.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What ever else you might call it that is definitely not a british fish and chips, that's clearly french.

If it was british you'd be fighting off seagulls while shoveling it into your face out of a styrofoam punnet.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Those replies weren't to that tweet as he's disabled comments from people he doesn't follow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Lungboy posted:

Those replies weren't to that tweet as he's disabled comments from people he doesn't follow.

Retweets with comments.