Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Speaking of hooks, it is my opinion that putting a single perk into Golden Obligations is probably worth it for almost any character, it's basically one cooldown period of being in a Stewardship focus (you'll probably get 2 perks in this time) and can get you so much gold if you're so inclined to send a skilled Spymaster to find some secrets. It's at the very least worth considering after filling out your first tree.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Sep 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Qubee posted:

I'm sick of these loving morons demanding a seat on the council with their crappy stats

We all are, my friend, but that's the crusader kings life I'm afraid. :v:

Keep going, you're going to figure it out eventually, but as far as I can tell there are no easy surefire solutions to anything in this game (except murder, that solves everything)

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

I know it's a lame thing to harp on but I hate that they use an icon of an actual hook

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

DurosKlav posted:

Also I know you guys are based in Sweden, but lets pump the brakes on Swedish bias!

no

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Excelzior posted:

I know it's a lame thing to harp on but I hate that they use an icon of an actual hook

Is...that because it’s ahistorical, or because it doesn’t work in other languages, or because you think it’s dumb?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Hey, Lord Mune, would it be useful if I made a list of the points in the tutorial where I, a near-noob, was hopelessly confused? I mean, more than my usual state of confusion.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Excelzior posted:

:shrug: it is a good visual shorthand, although its kind of funny how incredibly proud they are of the idea.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

StarkRavingMad posted:

SubNat posted:

Annoying AI is trying to run around you? There's a dedicated 'leave enough to siege' button that lets you station enough of your stack to keep sieging, while the main part of the force goes on the hunt.
From several pages back, but where is this button? I was looking for it last night and couldn't find it.

It's one of the buttons that comes up in the bottom left window when you have an army selected. Same window where you can find 'split army', 'split special units'.
You have to be sieging something for it to show though, otherwise the game doesn't know how many units you'd need to siege a holding, since that'll vary depending on garrison size.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Dee Ehm posted:

I'm a little confused about how Confederate Partition works.

Same as in real life - a bunch of shitheads run off with some of your land, but you should be able to get it all back in less than five years.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
So I think I have a pretty good handle on things now.

Saying that, could use more events, and would really like to know some of the mods people like thus far!

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Catalina posted:

Is...that because it’s ahistorical, or because it doesn’t work in other languages, or because you think it’s dumb?

CuddleCryptid posted:

:shrug: it is a good visual shorthand, although its kind of funny how incredibly proud they are of the idea.

yeah it's a bit of all of those but it does smack of one dev going "ah-HAH! HOOKS!" and that irritates me

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I really appreciate that all the court minor titles have disappeared. It makes it a real wrench when I'm dealing with a powerful vassal who has no business anywhere near the levers of power.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I have to say the fact that they took my haphazard ideas of dealing with secrets and using them for leverage that I posted in a CK2 thread years and years ago and made something this good from it is just :discourse: to me.

I think I deserved a free advance copy, but eh.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
Tried playing as the lord of Gwynned in 867 and became king within five years. I got cancer shortly afterwards, enacted tanistry succession and nominated my eldest son. All my children loved me so I was sure I had made the right decision.

Shortly after said son ascended the throne I found out that every single family member HATES him because he tried to kill one of his brothers. Within 3 years I am forced out as king, 2 years later the duchy of Gwynned gets taken from me and now my last title has just been revoked. Game over.

I love this game. :allears:

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I've begged the Pope for money several times but only from the suggestions UI at the top of the screen. How do I beg for money within the main UI? I didn't see it when I click the Pope himself.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

ultrachrist posted:

I've begged the Pope for money several times but only from the suggestions UI at the top of the screen. How do I beg for money within the main UI? I didn't see it when I click the Pope himself.

Hey, in the Ireland tutorial I pointedly married my disloyal half-brother to an infertile woman to quash his heirs' claims on the throne. Is there any reason this was a bad idea?

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Little display bug when looking at battles you're not involved in: the game associates the left side with you anyway. I'm not the aggressor here; both sides are actually my vassals.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Excelzior posted:

yeah it's a bit of all of those but it does smack of one dev going "ah-HAH! HOOKS!" and that irritates me

If it makes you feel any better, the icon for Sloth in CKII is a sloth, which prompted me to ask a friend who is a Medieval history buff how in Christianity they knew that one of the deadly sins was sloth when sloths weren't discovered until years later in South America.

She just started at me incredulously until I got it.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Hey, in the Ireland tutorial I pointedly married my disloyal half-brother to an infertile woman to quash his heirs' claims on the throne. Is there any reason this was a bad idea?

Not sure if you meant to quote the other guy, but that isn't a bad idea. Be forewarned that just because she has low fertility doesn't mean it is zero, unless she is above childbearing age.

FART BOSS
Aug 27, 2008

~hands upon harrows
heels in the weeds
starving and harvesting
down centuries~

Lol, I made this guy's newborn baby into my lackey, giving me a hook on him.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Magil Zeal posted:

Speaking of hooks, it is my opinion that putting a single perk into Golden Obligations is probably worth it for almost any character, it's basically one cooldown period of being in a Stewardship focus (you'll probably get 2 perks in this time) and can get you so much gold if you're so inclined to send a skilled Spymaster to find some secrets. It's at the very least worth considering after filling out your first tree.

Depending on your traits that is. Some nice guy traits will give you stress if you blackmail people, didn't notice that until my dude started having breakdowns.

Also I noticed that forming a new faith as Insular Christianity, my old faith will treat it as Righteous. I wonder if that means regular Catholicism will also treat is as Astray like they do normal Insular vs. Hostile like any offshoot of Catholicism.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

I swear to god I enabled Ironman before starting my current game in order to get achievements. Played for a couple hours, didn’t see anything pop up, went and checked after my save and Ironman is off. What the gently caress.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Wait, can I set up a scion to run another country as an ally?! Like help my grandson get set up as the king of Scotland whilst I'm happily ruling Ireland? Do I have control over him as we're still in the same dynasty, or can they end up being a major nuisance.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Magil Zeal posted:

Speaking of hooks, it is my opinion that putting a single perk into Golden Obligations is probably worth it for almost any character

I think Intrigue's Truth is relative (letting you fabricate hooks) is also a very useful insurance, in case your liege manages to change your vassal contract for example.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Qubee posted:

Wait, can I set up a scion to run another country as an ally?! Like help my grandson get set up as the king of Scotland whilst I'm happily ruling Ireland? Do I have control over him as we're still in the same dynasty, or can they end up being a major nuisance.

It works fine, for one generation. Things get a lot worse once either of you dies. Having lots of landed/independent rulers of your dynasty is great for renown though.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Qubee posted:

You *can*, but alliances can tend to be flimsy. You almost never want to give away titles that are the same level as you. If you want to delegate control then give your kids control of all the dutchies of Scotland, then keep the king title for yourself. Once you move on to Emperor of Britannia you can start handing out kingdoms to your kids.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

I know the game just came out, so it might be early to ask but for those of you who have had the chance to put a little bit of time into it, do you see any reason to go back to CK2 at this point? Debating on pulling the trigger on it and getting in on the ground floor.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

TotalHell posted:

I swear to god I enabled Ironman before starting my current game in order to get achievements. Played for a couple hours, didn’t see anything pop up, went and checked after my save and Ironman is off. What the gently caress.

i have the same issue, there's a small thread about it on the forums i found but with no solution

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/ck-iii-ironman-becoming-disabled-mid-game-losing-access-to-achievements.1415422/

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Meridian posted:

I know the game just came out, so it might be early to ask but for those of you who have had the chance to put a little bit of time into it, do you see any reason to go back to CK2 at this point? Debating on pulling the trigger on it and getting in on the ground floor.

Unless you really want to play a Republic, I'd say no.

I can't think of any other feature I'm missing on CK3 and it's way more polished.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

TotalHell posted:

I swear to god I enabled Ironman before starting my current game in order to get achievements.

It's annoying that it doesn't remember your choice, I bet most players tend to use Ironman either all the time or never.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Meridian posted:

Honestly not really. There's honestly a lot more of the DLC stuff included than you'd think. I do miss treasuries and societies, but overall it's pretty much a straight upgrade.

Personally I've had only minor issues with the UI, but it definitely seems like it's not as intuitive for a lot of people. Hopefully that'll be the focus of the first patch, it's mostly minor fixes.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Depending on your traits that is. Some nice guy traits will give you stress if you blackmail people, didn't notice that until my dude started having breakdowns.

I mean, kinda.

One of my rulers was Shy. Shy people get stress from doing just about anything, and don't relieve stress at Feasts. Even Sway and Befriend schemes give stress. It was still a very successful reign, as I was able to keep their stress under control with Drunkard and Improvident coping, lots of drinking, donating, and going on Hunts. And it turns out that Befriending is still worth it because you can also get -5% Stress gain per friend as a perk in the same tree. The right coping mechanism(s) can make all the difference when it comes to stress.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Meridian posted:

It's missing a bit of the silly humor, but it's still pretty Crusader Kings. Once we get more familiar with it I'm sure that will come back.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Just a heads up: doing the tutorial, besides giving you a bunch of extra money, makes Ireland normal Catholic instead of the delightful polygamous, dynastic kinslaying a crime (instead of just close kin kinslaying) insular Christianity

I understand why, but I can not approve

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Unless you really want to play a Republic, I'd say no.

I can't think of any other feature I'm missing on CK3 and it's way more polished.

Awesome! I'm glad it turned out so well.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

TorakFade posted:

Just a heads up: doing the tutorial, besides giving you a bunch of extra money, makes Ireland normal Catholic instead of the delightful polygamous, dynastic kinslaying a crime (instead of just close kin kinslaying) insular Christianity

I understand why, but I can not approve

Probably so you can go on crusades.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Magil Zeal posted:

Ireland is a very different place in 867 than it is in 1066.

Ah lol didn’t notice the date difference from the tutorial. Yeah 867 is like thunder dome. Was planning to murder my liege then Vikings killed him so that worked out I guess.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

So I decided to ally with the king of Scotland and the king of England when my new character got into power because better to the let the big guys not eat me right?

Well now the king of England won’t stop calling me into his endless bullshit wars. I helped at first but then went into debt and had to hit up the Pope for help.

So gently caress it, I’ll take the relationship hit by not helping out while I still need to befriend all of my vassals again.

10/10

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Do schemes eventually start opening up as time progresses? Cause I've only ever had the murder scheme as an option. Do options open up that can let me spread rumours and create proxy wars?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Qubee posted:

Do schemes eventually start opening up as time progresses? Cause I've only ever had the murder scheme as an option. Do options open up that can let me spread rumours and create proxy wars?

You can get additional hostile schemes from lifestyle trees. Abduct/Fabricate Hook from Intrigue, and Claim Throne from Learning. Those are the only ways to get non-murder ones I believe. Not counting personal schemes like sway/seduce.