Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
these are all the same weird down-note episodes for me, too. plus a couple others.

I'm not that concerned about cartoony things in the Simpsons in general, but the jockey elves struck me as different from anything before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

There's now a Leprechaun character that first appeared in a Halloween episode that now sometimes just appears in regular episodes.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

bobjr posted:

There's now a Leprechaun character that first appeared in a Halloween episode that now sometimes just appears in regular episodes.

a great gazoo era of simpsons is just what we need in my opinion

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Excuse me his name is Ozmodiar.

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

The Great Gazoo tells me to burn things

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Data Graham posted:

Excuse me his name is Ozmodiar.

drat straight troy my man

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

I don’t know if this is an episode anyone else remembers, but for me the first episode I remember watching as a kid and thinking “wow, that was bad!!!!!!!!!” was the episode with Mr T. It ended with him saying “spin me, clown!” and Krusty spinning him on some kind of rack. To me that feels like the ur-bad simpsons episode.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Calico Heart posted:

I don’t know if this is an episode anyone else remembers, but for me the first episode I remember watching as a kid and thinking “wow, that was bad!!!!!!!!!” was the episode with Mr T. It ended with him saying “spin me, clown!” and Krusty spinning him on some kind of rack. To me that feels like the ur-bad simpsons episode.

That would be “Today I am a Clown” from season 15. I guess it is pretty bad even by the standard at that time but it’s one I tend to forget about.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Is that the one with Krusty's long-delayed bar mitzvah? I dunno, feels like the joke is that Krusty can and does do all kinds of silly tasteless poo poo.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I think the last episode I specifically carved out time for was probably around season 15 when Bart had to go before the judge, and his regular judge got replaced by Jane Kaczmarek. I don't remember the middle part, but in the end the regular judge came back and declared a house party.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Calico Heart posted:

there are three different "I pity the fool" jokes, none of them good.

Iron Crowned posted:

I think the last episode I specifically carved out time for was probably around season 15 when Bart had to go before the judge, and his regular judge got replaced by Jane Kaczmarek. I don't remember the middle part, but in the end the regular judge came back and declared a house party.

Homer and Bart are tethered together as punishment for both. it's not a great episode, but Homer keeps falling asleep and screaming "ah! cobras!" in a way that I still do at least once a week:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=glOjvKlva7w

(I just remembered that we taped this one for some reason, so I watched it more than other episodes from that season.)

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Party Boat posted:

Like most people in the UK I started watching the Simpsons when it came to BBC2 in 1996 (it was on satellite / cable TV before that but we weren't rich). I think they got new episodes within a year or so of them airing in the US and they had a huge back catalogue to dip into, so between 1996 and around 1998 (age 11-13 for me) I got access to a concentrated dose of Good Simpsons.

I definitely watched every episode in this book, which covered the first 8 seasons, and kind of fell off after that. Sounds like the show did too.

My experience was kind of similar, but I'm a little older. I watched occasional golden-era episodes at my grandparents and my kind of spoiled cousin who lived there had a few early official VHS tapes. My parents got Sky at some point in my late teens, so between the terrestrial airings, Sky's re-runs and new-episodes, the only way to tell an episodes age was animation style and video quality, but even then, this is about 18 years ago when the show was in steep decline but hadn't yet gone off the precipice. Until I did a Disney+ rewatch, the marked sustained difference in imperial period Simpsons and poo poo-tier wasnt thrown into sharp relief for me.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFFJQeS5SIs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxS9S36ZsyA

Sky advertising at the time was HEAVILY Simpsons laden back then.

FIVE WHOLE CHANNELS!

Star Trek was another big boost for Sky, the later TNG seasons and DS9 were on Sky first, then on BBC a year later.
You would be reading issues of Starlog about season 6 while only seeing season 5 for the first time.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Iron Crowned posted:

In hindsight, I'm pretty sure that Judge Harm was the first Simpsons thing that I thought was unfunny, despite the fact that at that time I cut the show a lot of slack.

Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

Precambrian posted:

Sometimes I wonder what it'd be like if Seasons 8-12 weren't The Simpsons and were, instead, its own short-lived Fox Adult Cartoon.

Simpsons started getting bad around the time that Futurama started getting made, so I wonder how much of Simpson’s decline was due to that.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Rob Rockley posted:

Simpsons started getting bad around the time that Futurama started getting made, so I wonder how much of Simpson’s decline was due to that.

I do wonder how much of Futurama was the writers finally getting to use all their ideas not based around a nuclear family.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Now when you say nuclear family,

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I love the one where they go to florida and kill the alligator

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

FunkyAl posted:

Yeah, me and my friend have "But Marge, Florida is America's wang" in our frequent quote database.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

"Simpson Safari" and the one where the Vegas wives came back were the first two where I realized at the end "wow, I never laughed or smirked once, and spent way more of the episode annoyed than amused"

FunkyAl posted:

Garbage episode EXCEPT for the subplot about Joe C's sweater (rest in peace lil G)

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

There a lot of great quotes from bad episodes in season 11, but that alone doesn’t save those plots. America’s wang is a great joke- episode is still trash.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

quote:

Garbage episode EXCEPT for the subplot about Joe C's sweater (rest in peace lil G)

Please don't tell mama!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I hate Simpson Safari with a fiery passion.

I remember enjoying it when it initially aired. This was the era when Fox had started airing "bonus" episodes of The Simpsons when something either got cancelled, or they just didn't feel like airing a new episode of Futurama. So of course it was a "bonus" episode a few weeks later.

Now, also at that time, where I grew up, they had the Simpsons in syndication, at 6 and 6:30, both slots were in different parts of the run. One of those slots had it's cycle end about the same time the current season went into syndication, so of course Simpson Safari popped a couple weeks after that.

I think it popped for me at least 3 more times for one reason or another before the next season started.

A couple years later, I'm visiting ICQ friends in Turkey, and they turn on the TV, and what's on? Simpson loving Safari.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

WeaponX posted:

There a lot of great quotes from bad episodes in season 11, but that alone doesn’t save those plots. America’s wang is a great joke- episode is still trash.

I enjoy an awful lot of the teenage simpsons, moreso when I accepted they weren't really telling stories but were just vehicles for lots of jokes, most of them bad but enough of them really great and weird.

Like, when homer posts on the internet and is replaced by a german impersonator

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Judge Harm appears off and on for a few years after he first episode, normally when a court case in the show need a harsher or more serious punishment. I wonder if that was because it was at Malcolm in the Middle’s peak.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Guys I feel like the appearance of guest stars on the Simpsons might somehow be correlated to the contemporary popularity of other media that guest star is featured in. Just a theory

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Dustin Hoffman was both a big name superstar contemporary with the simpsons and embarrassed to put his name on a cartoon. Years later, he WOULD put his name on an educational role as an animated benedict arnold.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Guys I feel like the appearance of guest stars on the Simpsons might somehow be correlated to the contemporary popularity of other media that guest star is featured in. Just a theory

I don't know if this works for or against the multiple appearances (?) of Thomas Pynchon.

edit: jfc, I just remembered that then-current poet laureate Robert Pinsky appeared. and Spalding Gray. all three of these guys during the early bad seasons, for that matter.

Empty Sandwich fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Aug 31, 2020

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

WeaponX posted:

The alligator episode also has this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BkT7gBlwcE

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

J-Spot posted:

That would be “Today I am a Clown” from season 15. I guess it is pretty bad even by the standard at that time but it’s one I tend to forget about.

The fact this is a season 15 episode really drives home how bad the show has been for how long

Also, it makes me feel old. Season 15 sounds like it should be when they were doing marvel movie parodies.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

J-Spot posted:

I thought the b-plot "The Homer Simpson Show" wasn't bad on that one.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

That's basically the last golden age joke they ever put in the show, and it stands out so much because it's so good and then it's a complete void afterwards.

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

Iron Crowned posted:

I hate Simpson Safari with a fiery passion.

I remember enjoying it when it initially aired. This was the era when Fox had started airing "bonus" episodes of The Simpsons when something either got cancelled, or they just didn't feel like airing a new episode of Futurama. So of course it was a "bonus" episode a few weeks later.

Now, also at that time, where I grew up, they had the Simpsons in syndication, at 6 and 6:30, both slots were in different parts of the run. One of those slots had it's cycle end about the same time the current season went into syndication, so of course Simpson Safari popped a couple weeks after that.

I think it popped for me at least 3 more times for one reason or another before the next season started.

A couple years later, I'm visiting ICQ friends in Turkey, and they turn on the TV, and what's on? Simpson loving Safari.

I use Homers "shoot a lion in the face" quote sometimes.

Like when Fallout 4 or Red Dead 2 was coming out I was excited since I was looking forward to "shooting a molerat in the face" or "shooting a horse in the face".

Still a bad episode though.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

this guy from the UK is like if an american anime fan's bedroom got dimension-warped one hemisphere to the east https://twitter.com/bmoore03moore/status/1295430941305974786?s=21

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Why does he have a big American flag... on the ceiling?

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

YeahTubaMike posted:

In hindsight, I'm pretty sure that Judge Harm was the first Simpsons thing that I thought was unfunny, despite the fact that at that time I cut the show a lot of slack.

I can only remember that Bart and Homer were tethered together, day after day, and when Marge finally cut the tether it somehow, stupidly, had a camera IN the tether, and they could see the judge, and she could see them, and it had a speaker.

So. drat. Stupid.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Eclipse12 posted:

I can only remember that Bart and Homer were tethered together, day after day, and when Marge finally cut the tether it somehow, stupidly, had a camera IN the tether, and they could see the judge, and she could see them, and it had a speaker.

So. drat. Stupid.

You say stupid, I say an inspired realization of cartoon logic

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Specifically it was the magic of fiber optics iirc

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

And then they sink her house boat because..... homer's a horrible person I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Specifically it was the magic of fiber optics iirc

I did like that as a throwaway joke for a dumb plot device