Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Hey, Lord Mune, would it be useful if I made a list of the points in the tutorial where I, a near-noob, was hopelessly confused? I mean, more than my usual state of confusion.

Absolutely! We may or may not already have a tweaked version ready for a future patch, but the evolving nature of our games means we're never going to stop working on the tutorial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

SubNat posted:

It's one of the buttons that comes up in the bottom left window when you have an army selected. Same window where you can find 'split army', 'split special units'.
You have to be sieging something for it to show though, otherwise the game doesn't know how many units you'd need to siege a holding, since that'll vary depending on garrison size.

I thought I looked there, but maybe I was only checking the siege window. Thanks.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

any true doom crusader heads know if its a better idea to make all the kingdom titles and stuff in my empire and have just a few very powerful vassals or keep them all as dukes?
i dont seem to get a malus for holding kingdoms. I guess i'll lose them anyway with partition.

speaking of is there any way out of confederate partition as a tribal?

Catalina
May 20, 2008

hopeandjoy posted:

So I decided to ally with the king of Scotland and the king of England when my new character got into power because better to the let the big guys not eat me right?

Well now the king of England won’t stop calling me into his endless bullshit wars. I helped at first but then went into debt and had to hit up the Pope for help.

So gently caress it, I’ll take the relationship hit by not helping out while I still need to befriend all of my vassals again.

10/10

I haven’t checked closely in CKIII to see if it matches, but in CK2, you could join wars but not do anything and get 0% participation bonus, and you wouldn’t get a hit to relationship. The only drawbacks were that enemy troops could still siege your counties (very low likelihood), enemy troops were hostile, and you couldn’t do peacetime events until the war was over.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Magil Zeal posted:

You can get additional hostile schemes from lifestyle trees. Abduct/Fabricate Hook from Intrigue, and Claim Throne from Learning. Those are the only ways to get non-murder ones I believe. Not counting personal schemes like sway/seduce.

Realistically speaking, a ruler will only manage to get involved in two lifestyle trees during their reign, right? Or am I able to get pretty deep into a whole bunch of lifestyle trees with just the one ruler. On the topic of lifestyle trees, I get a bug sometimes where a whole branch is unlocked and I can immediately get the perk.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Qubee posted:

Realistically speaking, a ruler will only manage to get involved in two lifestyle trees during their reign, right? Or am I able to get pretty deep into a whole bunch of lifestyle trees with just the one ruler. On the topic of lifestyle trees, I get a bug sometimes where a whole branch is unlocked and I can immediately get the perk.

You have enough time for two full trees + some change if you live until into your 60s (and choose lifestyles that receive an EXP bonus from your education trait).

Your heir might choose to invest in perks before you get control of them, but only if they have at least a county-tier title it seems. I tried giving one of my heirs a barony and they never chose a focus, but any of them I give a county chooses a focus that is in line with their education trait. Is it possible this is what you are experiencing? Like, I believe if you play the tutorial you start out with every perk in a martial tree except the last one.

Oh dear me posted:

A good education gives you that.

I didn't know that! It's pretty interesting.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Qubee posted:

I get a bug sometimes where a whole branch is unlocked and I can immediately get the perk.

A good education gives you that.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Does anyone have any tips on how to improve your army quality?

My army has gradually decreased in quality over time and I imagine there's somewhere I should have been investing money or research to improve the quality over time that I've just been missing but I can't see anything obvious. Most of my holdings have maxed out buildings (I don't have the tech for keeps yet so they're only level 2) and I have 6 regiments of men at arms... I don't really see what else I can do but my army is just stuck at "Decent" quality.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Chalks posted:

Does anyone have any tips on how to improve your army quality?

My army has gradually decreased in quality over time and I imagine there's somewhere I should have been investing money or research to improve the quality over time that I've just been missing but I can't see anything obvious. Most of my holdings have maxed out buildings (I don't have the tech for keeps yet so they're only level 2) and I have 6 regiments of men at arms... I don't really see what else I can do but my army is just stuck at "Decent" quality.

"Quality" tends to reference the ratio of levies to knights/men-at-arms. Have you increased the size of your men-at-arms units?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Communist Thoughts posted:

any true doom crusader heads know if its a better idea to make all the kingdom titles and stuff in my empire and have just a few very powerful vassals or keep them all as dukes?
i dont seem to get a malus for holding kingdoms. I guess i'll lose them anyway with partition.

speaking of is there any way out of confederate partition as a tribal?

The basis of making kingdoms for titles is that when you make a single, higher title that you can personally hold then it doesn't matter how badly your realm gets split up upon succession, if you have one title then it goes to your direct heir and the rest of your kids will get dutchies. This will break up what you personally control, but the important part is that as the singular king they will still be your vassals and no land will pass out of your indirect control.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

I'm trying to understand why i can't press my wife's claims here. She can claim both duchies held by the Emir of Sirte.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Frionnel posted:

I'm trying to understand why i can't press my wife's claims here. She can claim both duchies held by the Emir of Sirte.

What does the red circle in the menu selection say? That should tell you.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Magil Zeal posted:

"Quality" tends to reference the ratio of levies to knights/men-at-arms. Have you increased the size of your men-at-arms units?

I have done a few times but I feel like I'm really on the edge of my ability to fund them (down to -5 gold per tick when fully raised)

Are numbers more important than unit quality, so a higher quantity of cheaper men at arms such as archers or light footmen would be better than more expensive ones?

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

CuddleCryptid posted:

What does the red circle in the menu selection say? That should tell you.

"No Claims to press"

Edit: Oh, it's because of the Male Dominated doctrine. Women's claims can only be pressed against other women, children and incapable rulers.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Ambitious rulers suck at conquering, because they amass a bunch of stress every time they grant titles.
I only noticed it after a while, but ~15 stress per holding stacks up pretty quick when you just conquered a duchy and have to start handing out titles due to how absurdly low your domain cap can be, early on.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Frionnel posted:

"No Claims to press"
Does the realm she has a claim on allow female rulers?

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
So, uh. I was like, King of Sweden. Going well. Except my heir got assassinated, and my second heir died on the battlefield, so my remaining heir is a 16 year old idiot. Then I died, and the 16 year old becomes King Dipshit. He manages to stay alive for about a year before he gets into a drunken brawl with his own army men, gets wounded, the wound becomes infected and he loving dies. Now I'm his... sister, I think? And now I'm not only not the king, I'm not the dynasty head either and my children will not be of my dynasty. So, uh, how do I fix this?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Chalks posted:

I have done a few times but I feel like I'm really on the edge of my ability to fund them (down to -5 gold per tick when fully raised)

Are numbers more important than unit quality, so a higher quantity of cheaper men at arms such as archers or light footmen would be better than more expensive ones?

Personally I've gotten by for a few generations just using siege units, bowmen, and light footmen. I build a lot of military camps to boost them. Eventually I added some token pike units to counter cavalry and some light horsemen to chase, but yeah, I think it's okay to use the cheaper units.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
I'm really sad raiding is tied to government instead of culture now. In CK2 my go-to was Norse culture with Jewish religion so I could fuedalize but keep raiding people forever.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

So, uh. I was like, King of Sweden. Going well. Except my heir got assassinated, and my second heir died on the battlefield, so my remaining heir is a 16 year old idiot. Then I died, and the 16 year old becomes King Dipshit. He manages to stay alive for about a year before he gets into a drunken brawl with his own army men, gets wounded, the wound becomes infected and he loving dies. Now I'm his... sister, I think? And now I'm not only not the king, I'm not the dynasty head either and my children will not be of my dynasty. So, uh, how do I fix this?

:xcom:

If you want to take the long road back, kill or divorce your husband, then matrilinially marry whoever will take you. Pop out a kid of your bloodline, then find ways to disinherit or kill your older children.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

SubNat posted:

Ambitious rulers suck at conquering, because they amass a bunch of stress every time they grant titles.
I only noticed it after a while, but ~15 stress per holding stacks up pretty quick when you just conquered a duchy and have to start handing out titles due to how absurdly low your domain cap can be, early on.

Yes, a lot of traits seem to have that kind of sneaky downside to them.

One of the early streamers (Many a True Nerd perhaps?) had a long session of jubilee over how threat was gone as a heavy damper on your expansion, but it's starting to look like stress in many cases will be a new mechanic to the same end. So many aspects of running an expanding realm seem to rub up against such a variety of traits that most characters will probably end up having one stress limiter or another.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

We really need a "that's CK" smiley possibly with Glitterhoof.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
Interesting. Do I want to continue to gently caress around in newbie mode Ireland (I've already conquered Alba, and is working on Wales, so I can kick the scandis out of glorious Britannia), or should I jump on the new kingdom (Galicia) which the pope gave to my brother?

It will probably be a lot harder, surrounded by muslims all day long instead of catholic heresies, but oh, so much fun too.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Update on my "missing save" issue from this morning: turns out the ironman save is just forever prefixed with 876_1_1 or whatever. I thought that was from a campaign with the same character I aborted after a month because i forgot to ironman it. But no, that was my actual latest save. I'm just dumb, but also, it's kind of silly and confusing how the game will want to name your ironman saves after the first day of the campaign like a regular save.

SubNat posted:

That seems weirdly counter-productive toward the trait's intent. Maybe they should make it so that trait doesn't give you stress when giving land away while over the domain limit.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Why can't the stewardship focus give me discounts on upgrading tribal lands? Is this the only flay priced thing in the game?!

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I'm curious if I'm missing something or not, how come the ransom button on these characters is greyed out in the prison menu but at the same time I can ransom them off fine by clicking through the suggestions instead?

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Was not aware of this but if your war enemy is in a war with someone else, the other opponent is also hostile to you, can attack and be attacked etc.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Suggestions have some problems. Like at the moment the game insists that I sway my dead vassal. Doesn't let me actually do it.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

canepazzo posted:

Was not aware of this but if your war enemy is in a war with someone else, the other opponent is also hostile to you, can attack and be attacked etc.

It was the same in CK2 if you have the same goal, wasn't it?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

canepazzo posted:

That's the good old "the enemy of my enemy is also my enemy" proverb lol

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

quote:

That seems weirdly counter-productive toward the trait's intent. Maybe they should make it so that trait doesn't give you stress when giving land away while over the domain limit.

Pretty sure this is actually true, but any titles you give away while at or under the domain limit will trigger Stress if you're ambitious.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I don't mind ambitious giving stress because A) stress isn't *that* big of a deal and B) it makes it not mandatory for rulers, unlike in CK2 where you had to dump that on your heirs and make everyone else content

Just make your ambitious ruler an alcoholic and role play as any person in existence in that time period

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Arsenic Lupin posted:

am I the only one who caught Glitterhoof's icon (as an Emperor, no less) flashing on the bottom of the screen when loading a game?

VVV that's some quality whorin'

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

The visit Brothel decision just dropped my stress by 90 :eyepop:

e; Of course it gave me a venereal disease, those harlots :negative:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Is the war dec screen useless in telling you the estimated strength of your opponent

It never seems right

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
Nice.

I found some naked chick in my chambers loving my scepter (or whatever), and saying I liked it made me lose 140 stress.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

euphronius posted:

Is the war dec screen useless in telling you the estimated strength of your opponent

It never seems right

Bear in mind that it takes quality of troops into account as well as sheer number.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Ms Adequate posted:

The visit Brothel decision just dropped my stress by 90 :eyepop:

e; Of course it gave me a venereal disease, those harlots :negative:

I've seen people visit the brothel in two different streams, and both times they got the Great Pox. Either they're very unlucky or I'm staying away from Rakish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
The game crashed and the savefile is corrupted and it says that it's a different version. Is there any way to salvage this or do I just have to start a new game?