Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Vermain posted:

i saw this pop up on the news last night and nearly choked on some bread

they even had some lunatic from the PAC on who claimed that B.C. and saskatchewan would for sure follow suit after alberta

oh of course, naturally

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Vermain posted:

i saw this pop up on the news last night and nearly choked on some bread

they even had some lunatic from the PAC on who claimed that B.C. and saskatchewan would for sure follow suit after alberta

I bet this guy has STRONG OPINIONS on tearing down John A. MacDonald statues too

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
canadian police lean heavily into discredited bullshit to help reinforce existing biases in policing

"algorithm", or a machine for exaggerating bias

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

https://twitter.com/FNoMTL/status/1300197770867945472

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
https://twitter.com/yukoner3/status/1301251419027185664?s=21

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

If times are tough it's because they aren't drinking enough.

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
we didn’t legalize weed to be hearing that kinda stuff

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

No see it's because Sir John A was a degenerate drunk so if Sir John coslplayers aren't also a human wasteland then they aren't doing good cosplay and have only themselves to blame.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I'm cosplaying as a time traveler from 2020 who went back in time to whoop John A Macdonald's rear end

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Danaru posted:

I'm cosplaying as a time traveler from 2020 who went back in time to whoop John A Macdonald's rear end

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8gHubY94rA

Oh god, I think I'm going to cover this but about John A thank you poster for the inspiration

Rest in Peace Wesley

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

there's a lot of layers here

https://twitter.com/WexitBarbie/status/1302492561441845248

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Let them go, and make em join america.

Also lol @ the lowkey Q stuff in the comments. That loving brainworm is everywhere now.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The q poo poo is pretty established in Canada. I've seen :airquote: protests :airquote: that combine "Trudeau must go" with "save the children"

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Just anecdotal but a lot of conservatives I talk to (coworkers and family) are into stuff like Ben Shapiro and Jordan Peterson. That whole alt-right pipeline thing is certainly reaching some people here, and I assume most inevitably wind up at qanon poo poo.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Lassitude posted:

Just anecdotal but a lot of conservatives I talk to (coworkers and family) are into stuff like Ben Shapiro and Jordan Peterson. That whole alt-right pipeline thing is certainly reaching some people here, and I assume most inevitably wind up at qanon poo poo.

I've seen it make real inroads in the arts/hippy people I still have contact with in NB. The whole "save the children" re-brand did a number in, as did pandemic related stuff.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

Okay weird question gang but I feel this might be a good place to ask

I have decided my path forward is community organizing. I'm good at getting people engaged and involved and little else so I'm going to use what little praxis I have to make things better.

Thing is I have 2 options for how to do this:

Option 1, I move back to Alberta. I'm originally from there and have close friends that are intelligent, radicalized and eager to put in the work, and I believe that we can at least chip away at the awfulness that is modern Alberta. Big problem there is everyone is dirtbag left; none of us have money and we'd be going full grass roots.

Option 2 I stay in Ontario. I don't have the connections or the same level of radicalization but I have an organization where I have influence and a much larger population, some who have government ties. We're not overtly political but was have non-profit status so I can use my position to support worthy charities and local orgs that can have direct influence.

The obvious choice is option 2; it would require a little more subterfuge but at that same time we might be able to help more people without being overtly leftist. But I really want to do Option 1 because it would mean I could be closer to people special to me and I could be helping my home, which I still believe can be salvaged.

So fellow Canadian leftists, how should I completely throw away my potential in some Sisyphean crusade?

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
For one, DM me. For two, it sounds like you have more influence with the second option. It would take a while to build that up in a new location. Also, it being COVID times, you can do either without living there necessarily. You can just shitpost for good on their local online forums.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
I applaud you for considering option one as two is certainly the easiest option. My concern would be that the provincial government is making very little attempt to obfuscate their intentions of austerity and even with no need to dog whistle their intents, they would still handily win a majority government if an election were held today. They’ve passed several anti labour bills and intend to completely deprive the province of public sector jobs and services, and intended to before COVID - if we take Naomi Klein’s shock doctrine principal at heart then there will likely be even fewer political repercussions in light of a pandemic and subsequent global depression.

I think the desire to come back and advocate is great and wonderful, it makes you a better person than I as I pack up and leave in two weeks to a province that might be supported by real estate fraud but one who has to fear pissing off the electorate so they have to give some concessions to the left. I wish you luck in whichever path you decide, good luck with your passion and we need more community organizers as the world gets shittier.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Ontario is where the political power in Canada lives. If you want to have an impact on all of Canada than stay in Ontario, if you feel your efforts are best served on more regional efforts than go to Alberta.

Personally I don't think the government of Alberta is going to have a huge impact. The forces they are contending with are global, its not a local issue. Its doesn't matter if they are anti-worker and love austerity; material conditions are going to hit them in the face.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

alberta has a million fewer people and about 2/3rd as many federal ridings as the GTA, if that perspective helps any.

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
as an albertan I would be sinning if I told you to come here politically or otherwise, good luck though brother

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟
The guy who got his leg broken in Vancouver just yelled at a guy in his hospital room until he cried

https://twitter.com/JustinMoris/status/1303146323227611136?s=19

https://twitter.com/JustinMoris/status/1303153062295613441?s=19

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

actually owns, give him a medal. no one should be forced to listen to tim pool

I mean he deserves a medal for standing up to christian nazis but he gets a second one for his efforts in the fight against tim pool

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟

Kazinsal posted:

actually owns, give him a medal. no one should be forced to listen to tim pool

I mean he deserves a medal for standing up to christian nazis but he gets a second one for his efforts in the fight against tim pool

Much like any other extremely online internet funnyman, he probably used to be a goon also

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos
Nevermind. Decided the twitter thing was too dumb.

Sassafras has issued a correction as of 05:45 on Sep 8, 2020

Ross DaouThot
Aug 31, 2018

when i hit that loud and open cspam the adam curtis music starts playing
there was a really great episode of getfiscal’s podcast about it and chapo had a good one too, but can anyone direct me to any good troves of info about how canada is owned by ukrainian nazis obsessed with spreading the good word that communism is worse than fascism and would you like to know more about a little something called the holodomor

any time i even peek into the victims of communism foundation or any of the ukrainian philanthropy funding the university of alberta i get a shiver down to my taint

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

Thanks for the input gang, still struggling with the choice but I have some context now. At the very least there's nothing stopping me from using what I have here and seeing if I can even do it with infrastructure behind me.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Start an underground railway for the coming Alberta refugees with de-programming services

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Start an underground railway for the coming Alberta refugees with de-programming services

a pipeline to progress if you will

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Who is left in Alberta? Almost everyone I knew there has left in the last year. I used to live there, and had family there, and now I know a whole three people living there, only one of them wants to stay.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Bunch of people I knew in Alberta lost their jobs, the people who managed to get a job again left the province to come to ontario to work at jobs at like TD and poo poo.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Virtual Russian posted:

Who is left in Alberta? Almost everyone I knew there has left in the last year. I used to live there, and had family there, and now I know a whole three people living there, only one of them wants to stay.

*raises hand meekly*

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
I'm stuck in Alberta with no education or skills and I've had roni symptoms for 9 months. I'm basically already dead

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
I'm in Calgary but tied to a defined benefit pension.

Otherwise....

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
I'm still in Alberta. I'd be hard pressed to give up the mountains and Kananaskis though.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Demon_Corsair posted:

I'm still in Alberta. I'd be hard pressed to give up the mountains and Kananaskis though.

your right we dont have wilderness anywhere else in canada

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I'm still in Calgary, and making more of an effort to reach out to friends in Vancouver and Toronto in case there's no jobs here when I finish my degree.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Demon_Corsair posted:

Wait until you learn that BC has mountains too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

bc? why that's practically alberta!