Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yorkinshire
Apr 28, 2009

In space no one can hear your dope beats.
Anyone else having events fire while paused? Had my character die while paused just a bit ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Frionnel posted:

"No Claims to press"

Edit: Oh, it's because of the Male Dominated doctrine. Women's claims can only be pressed against other women, children and incapable rulers.

It seems like a lot of things are working as intended but poorly explained.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

euphronius posted:

Is the war dec screen useless in telling you the estimated strength of your opponent

It never seems right

no its pretty good and you can see exact breakdowns of their forces on mouseover

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

CuddleCryptid posted:

Bear in mind that it takes quality of troops into account as well as sheer number.

Also it includes allies.

I was really confused why a count target was similar in power to my big Kingdom. Turns out they were allies of France.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Quick question, is there any way to gain more lifestyle experience outside of the monthly tick and some of the events? Like, can I get Martial by commanding armies or anything?

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Pump it up! Do it! posted:

The game crashed and the savefile is corrupted and it says that it's a different version. Is there any way to salvage this or do I just have to start a new game?

Someone mentioned it but I'm not 100% sure: There should be a crash folder in the game's folder, or in the save folder, where a backup of the latest save gets chucked in case of a crash.

You should be able to grab that, dunk it into your savegame folder, and continue on.

Ms Adequate posted:

Quick question, is there any way to gain more lifestyle experience outside of the monthly tick and some of the events? Like, can I get Martial by commanding armies or anything?

Only thing I've seen is that depending on what kind of upbringing/education you had, you'll have a notable boost to one specific type of lifestyle.
A ~3 star, Skilled Tactician gets a +30% boost to martial xp.

Also there are some events that just give you free level ups in your currently focused lifestyle type.
As a martial ruler I've had some mentoring and war events (like soldiers deserting.) that depending on outcome would give me a free perk/levelup.

SubNat fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Sep 2, 2020

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Ms Adequate posted:

You get a % bonus from your Education trait. If you are your liege's councilor, you get a % bonus based on which councilor you are (Diplomacy from chancellor, etc.). The Alexandrian Catechism tenet gives another +25% lifestyle exp. The commission epic decision from the August tree can sometimes give you lifestyle exp in various different lifestyles (not just diplomacy), though it seems random and you can't commission epics very often. I'm sure there are other ways but those are what I've encountered off the top of my head.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Magil Zeal posted:

You get a % bonus from your Education trait.https://twitter.com/pikestaff/status/1301164792569188354. The Alexandrian Catechism tenet gives another +25% lifestyle exp. The commission epic decision from the August tree can sometimes give you lifestyle exp in various different lifestyles (not just diplomacy), though it seems random and you can't commission epics very often. I'm sure there are other ways but those are what I've encountered off the top of my head.

Oooh now that one I did not know about! Very nice, thanks :D

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

Ms Adequate posted:

Quick/Intelligent/Genius all give increasing bonuses to monthly lifestyle XP.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I noticed my wife's stewardship increased from 18 to 21 when I had her actively boosting my stewardship. Are there ways to naturally increase my own as well? In particular, prowess. Do I need to keep throwing my dude into fights to increase it? It would be great if you could tutor under characters with higher traits than you to slowly increase yours, or have your character / children spar in the barracks to increase their prowess. For military people, I just go down the chivalry path to lessen the likelihood of death, and keep battling, but I'm not noticing any drastic changes in prowess or martial. Same with chancellors, they can be on the council for years but their stats stay poo poo.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Also, I really appreciate the ability to flick the world to 'yes homo' or equal sexualities, etc, in the game rules without it impacting achievements.

It opens up seduction and etc stuff to men a lot more, since more rulers and etc will be receptive to your advances.
(Since with equal distribution something like 50% of each gender will be open to advances from others of the same gender.)

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

Excelzior posted:

am I the only one who caught Glitterhoof's icon (as an Emperor, no less) flashing on the bottom of the screen when loading a game?

VVV that's some quality whorin'

There's an event where I think if you have a lunatic wife she suggests you call the kid Glitterhoof

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

We played a multiplayer game and its very clear they streamlined it. 2 of 4 of us lost and picked new characters and it was so easy. No more saving and restarting.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

I got a notification saying part of my territory wasn't being held by a vassal, but it didn't show me which county or how to grant the title. I figured out where it was - I guess maybe one of my vassals grabbed it off a neighbor or something? But I don't see the grant title button on the county screen or on the screen for the leader who's running it right now. Am I missing something obvious?

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
What affects your base progress with innovations? Mine's currently at 0.3, which I guess is pretty shite. Seems learning is no longer relevant?

Also gently caress this loads fast. Appreciably quicker than CK2. Looks great too. The music, while atmospheric and nice, has yet to grab me in the way some of CK2's did, though I am still early days and doing the Murchad thing. Also did they take out the little control for the music which tells you the piece and lets you skip to the next one?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

What affects your base progress with innovations? Mine's currently at 0.3, which I guess is pretty shite. Seems learning is no longer relevant?

Also gently caress this loads fast. Appreciably quicker than CK2. Looks great too. The music, while atmospheric and nice, has yet to grab me in the way some of CK2's did, though I am still early days and doing the Murchad thing. Also did they take out the little control for the music which tells you the piece and lets you skip to the next one?

The Learning skill of your cultural head does affect it, as does the average development of all counties of your culture. You are also influenced by other nearby counties of cultures that have unlocked innovations you haven't. One random innovation gets a bonus at any given time (this is what is influenced by surrounding cultures), as well as one "fascination" you can choose as the cultural head. Really only those choices progress at any noticeable speed, and you can stack the two to get one relatively quickly.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

My heir ended up wearing this complete face mask and now that I am him, when I see him in menus and stuff it always says "This is you, allegedly" and I'm losing my mind like am I an imposter?? Did I kill and take the place of the real Domnall?! This is so wild lmao

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

I think it's just a joke, my dude recently got Melancholy and that text says "This is you, but it really doesn't feel like it anymore" :(

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Formed Ireland, had a chance to switch to Tanistry by decision so I did. But it appears the lower titles still follow Partition. Any way of consolidating hereditary rule across all titles?

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

Magil Zeal posted:

The Learning skill of your cultural head does affect it, as does the average development of all counties of your culture. You are also influenced by other nearby counties of cultures that have unlocked innovations you haven't. One random innovation gets a bonus at any given time (this is what is influenced by surrounding cultures), as well as one "fascination" you can choose as the cultural head. Really only those choices progress at any noticeable speed, and you can stack the two to get one relatively quickly.

Yeah, while fascination makes a big difference, as does the bonus, the rest are glacially slow, even compared to CK2. Good to know learning still does affect it. Does the learning stat of your bishop matter, like with the chaplain in CK2?

I can see the development stat effect; on the tooltip it says it reflects the local infrastructure and technological advancement of a county, so I guess development automatically feeds itself to an extent?

OneSizeFitsAll fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Sep 2, 2020

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
my one problem is not letting you scroll down when on character pages when you use the bigger UI scaling, i have to play this game on my tv :'(

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

canepazzo posted:

Was not aware of this but if your war enemy is in a war with someone else, the other opponent is also hostile to you, can attack and be attacked etc.

Oh poo poo, hmm - silly to ask, but are you sure? I was surprised yesterday that my war with Gwynedd had a neutral Mercian army pillaging Gwynedd itself in a separate war. I'm trying to remember the relationship...it may've been that Gwynedd was called as an ally into a Mercia vassal's liberty war against Mercia itself. So Mercia was at war with Gwynedd, but not directly? Either way, I definitely didn't have to fight the Mercians.

EDIT: WAIT, that's all true, but I was actually called in as an ally by Gwynedd, against a pair of their uppity vassals. The fact that Mercia was fighting Gwynedd didn't overlap - just the fact that I was fighting Welsh inside Gwynedd's borders confused me. So I wasn't at war with Gwynedd, if anything I kept their rebels subdued while they beat back Mercia.

Game makes good stories.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Sep 2, 2020

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.
Does creating kingdom titles not give de jure claims on the rest of the territory? I started as Gwynedd in 867, formed Wales, and my only options for declaring war on any of the rest of it are other peoples' claims.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Snooze Cruise posted:

my one problem is not letting you scroll down when on character pages when you use the bigger UI scaling, i have to play this game on my tv :'(

No idea if this is what you mean, but someone put out a mod that might help?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Yeah, while fascination makes a big difference, as does the bonus, the rest are glacially slow, even compared to CK2. Good to know learning still does affect it. Does the learning stat of your bishop matter, like with the chaplain in CK2?

I can see the development stat effect; on the tooltip it says it reflects the local infrastructure and technological advancement of a county, so I guess development automatically feeds itself to an extent?

Well, there are cultural innovations that make development go faster if that's what you mean. Notably there are "caps" (I think they are soft caps rather than hard caps) on the development of a given county depending on the Public Works/Communal Government/Urbanization/Renaissance Thought innovations, which "uncap" it. I don't think anyone's stats affect it other than the culture head.

Starting in Ireland, which is fairly underdeveloped I believe, I'm feeling like I am progressing through them at a decent rate but I'm definitely not hitting those "minimum dates" for eras.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
Is there a way to find spouses abroad for your courtiers? I know you can bring up the "find spouse" thing when you're unmarried, but I can't figure out how to do it for another courtier.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen
Gavelkind continues to be the worst. Spent ten years conquering Novgorod, got rid of their idiotic "voting for a king" succession scheme, still lost it when my king died. How do I stop this from happening? My gut tells me to give it to my son, but I also don't want to lose control of it while still alive.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
How do I make war allies useful? I keep getting into situations where I have an superior force when combined with my ally, but the AI won't move the troops to where they'd be useful (ie into a doomstack)

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

ninjahedgehog posted:

I think it's just a joke, my dude recently got Melancholy and that text says "This is you, but it really doesn't feel like it anymore" :(

Aw :(

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

boy I tell ya what, nothing stings like your own wife saying "I don't like you that way" when you try to seduce her and add a little spice to your marriage

Jaytan
Dec 14, 2003

Childhood enlistment means fewer birthdays to remember

chglcu posted:

Does creating kingdom titles not give de jure claims on the rest of the territory? I started as Gwynedd in 867, formed Wales, and my only options for declaring war on any of the rest of it are other peoples' claims.

I haven’t played that start date, but a number of CBs are tied to innovations now. Search de jure on the wiki page: https://ck3.paradoxwikis.com/Innovations

Softface posted:

Gavelkind continues to be the worst. Spent ten years conquering Novgorod, got rid of their idiotic "voting for a king" succession scheme, still lost it when my king died. How do I stop this from happening? My gut tells me to give it to my son, but I also don't want to lose control of it while still alive.

You can’t give away your primary title. As far as I can tell they want dealing with some form gavelkind to be a thing for most rulers for a long time. I’m bee lining to high partition right now since it seems like the least insane option before the last tech era.

Jaytan fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Sep 2, 2020

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

Jaytan posted:

I haven’t played that start date, but a number of CBs are tied to innovations now. Search de jure on the wiki page: https://ck3.paradoxwikis.com/Innovations

Ah, thanks, though that's a bit annoying. Apparently de jure kingdoms is a late medieval tech. Feels pretty gamey and arbitrary.

nekoxid
Mar 17, 2009

yorkinshire posted:

Anyone else having events fire while paused? Had my character die while paused just a bit ago.

Yep. The same thing happened to me just now. I wanted to imprison my son who murdered his brother, and before I could press the button, my character died.
Gave me a good laugh!

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Holy poo poo I'm dumb. I just now realized you can change your objective when declaring war to conquer poo poo. I've been wondering why it was so drat wonky before.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
I'm getting tired of the event where someone challenges you for your kingdom and you have a 0% chance of stopping them.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Tippis posted:

What happened was that I took over a theocratic county. With too low innovation level (and no available slots anyway), I couldn't really revoke anything or build anything new, but after some very generous knighting of the local (childless) baron and sending him off to war, the barony in the same county became mine as well. I would have expected at that point to be able to point to the barony and go “I own the county; I own the barony; I want the latter to be the capital of the former (so I can then sell of the church to some sucker courtier)” — essentially the same as what you're describing for a vassal, but for myself. But I couldn't find any way of doing that.

I hadn't really considered converting it via vassal use, but that wouldn't have done me much good given the amount of hoop-jumping needed to get it back afterwards since revocations aren't unlocked yet. And either way, as you say, it seems more like a bug that you can't just assign a different holding as capital when you own everything in a county, so that kind of work-around shouldn't really be needed.

Hence my hoping that it's just a classic case of UI blindness.

To update myself and other blind people, I found the sneaky little bugger icon that did what I wanted. County capital moves are indeed entirely possible, as one would expect. They're just hidden behind innocuous UI, also as one would expect.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

chglcu posted:

Ah, thanks, though that's a bit annoying. Apparently de jure kingdoms is a late medieval tech. Feels pretty gamey and arbitrary.
It looks like that's the one that lets you press multiple de jure claims at once.

I think the tribal era one lets you de jure war for counties in duchies you hold, and the early medieval one lets you war for duchies in kingdoms you hold. So once you have that de jure wars are actually better than they ever were in CK2.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Sep 2, 2020

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Aye Doc posted:

boy I tell ya what, nothing stings like your own wife saying "I don't like you that way" when you try to seduce her and add a little spice to your marriage

Absolutely brutal :laffo:

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I have a strong hook on some Scottish rear end in a top hat's spymaster. How do I use that to my advantage? Only thing I see right now is I can ask her to join my court. I want to get her to abuse her position somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012
drat my ruler is some stud, one night laying with his wife and she's happy for the next 15 years