Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Finished Getting Over It.

My hands were really sweating towards the end there. Feels good man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Rolo posted:

Finished Getting Over It.

My hands were really sweating towards the end there. Feels good man.

Now do it again and be amazed at how you're utterly destroying it after all that pain.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I didn’t have the patience to beat Getting Over It but it is amazing how effortless it becomes when you’re climbing terrain you’ve surmounted before.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

the speedrun is pretty impressive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcJdyvJrq_A

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

repiv posted:

Even 1TB NVMe can be had for 100bux

https://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Blue-SN550-WDS100T2B0C/dp/B07YFFX5MD

That's more or less on par with the XBSX in both speed and capacity

PS5 is faster but cross-platform games will be treating the Xbox as the baseline

Holy poo poo, I've been out of the PC hardware game for too long. I thought 100GB SSDs were still up at the £100 mark.

Kin fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Sep 2, 2020

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

As an aside if you're getting a hard drive don't buy seagate, all their poo poo is smd and they don't tell you this and as a result it's slow as gently caress when it pulls things off the drive

I got a 2tb drive for like $40 new in a sale and I felt ripped off

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Kin posted:

Holy poo poo, I've been out of the PC hardware game for too long. I thought 100GB SDDs were still up at the £100 mark.

Lol I got a 240gig for $24.99 the other day for my secondary PC. They are dirt cheap.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Kin posted:

Holy poo poo, I've been out of the PC hardware game for too long. I thought 100GB SDDs were still up at the £100 mark.

It’s insane. I have more storage in SSDs than I ever did on platter drives. I can’t even remember the last time I bought a platter drive on its own- I have a few as external data drives but they’re all ones I salvaged new/like new out of things I was upgrading.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It’s insane. I have more storage in SSDs than I ever did on platter drives. I can’t even remember the last time I bought a platter drive on its own- I have a few as external data drives but they’re all ones I salvaged new/like new out of things I was upgrading.

I literally have a stack of platter laptop drives from people I’ve helped upgrade to an SSD and its like a night and day difference for them.

A $50 upgrade from a 500gig platter to SSD is great and a no brainer for most systems.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

I'm assuming you need a relatively modern motherboard for those though?

I'm rocking a MSI H77MA-G43 (from a few years back now) and I can't quite make out the port that the NVMe drive needs in the manual.

edit: though it looks like SATA SSDs have come down quite a bit too. I've got a 1TB Plate I'm using at the minute for media storage and a 250GB SATA SSD for the windows install.

Is there a recommended manufacturer for them? Amazon has a Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB SATA 2.5 Inch Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) (MZ-76E1T0) listed as the top-rated, but I usually buy WD.

Kin fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Sep 2, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Kin posted:

Holy poo poo, I've been out of the PC hardware game for too long. I thought 100GB SSDs were still up at the £100 mark.
I know, right? It gobsmacked me how cheaply I can get those these days and I am seriously intent on getting one as soon as I can.

Kin posted:

I'm assuming you need a relatively modern motherboard for those though?
NVMes are technically usable through PCIe, if you install an adapter card first. If your BIOS does not support them, you will never be able to boot from one, though.

Kin posted:

Is there a recommended manufacturer for them? Amazon has a Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB SATA 2.5 Inch Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) (MZ-76E1T0) listed as the top-rated, but I usually buy WD.
Samsung makes good hardware, you could buy that and never experience any issues.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So I heard on the Bombcast that there might not be a 3080ti and variants like that, Nvidia's just sticking with flat numbers. Is there any truth to this at all?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Kin posted:

edit: though it looks like SATA SSDs have come down quite a bit too. I've got a 1TB Plate I'm using at the minute for media storage and a 250GB SATA SSD for the windows install.

Samsung is overpriced, they are coasting on their reputation from when they were the best even though they're nothing special now

The Crucial MX500 is a solid SATA choice, it's $100 for 1TB or $230 for 2TB right now.

The 2TB Samsung is $300 :homebrew:

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Thanks for the reply. I just doublechecked and yeah I have 2 PCI-e slots that it looks like the drive would fit into (though it would stick outwards from the board by the looks of things. Are they sturdy/light enough to be held in like that?

Is there a way to tell if a bios supports it prior to buying?

Picture of the mobo for clarification.
https://www.empowerlaptop.com/p/msi-h77ma-g43-motherboard-w1711/

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

repiv posted:

Samsung is overpriced, they are coasting on their reputation from when they were the best even though they're nothing special now

The Crucial MX500 is a solid SATA choice, it's $100 for 1TB or $230 for 2TB right now.

The 2TB Samsung is $300 :homebrew:
Well, you learn something new every day. I'll be remembering the warning.

Kin posted:

Thanks for the reply. I just doublechecked and yeah I have 2 PCI-e slots that it looks like the drive would fit into (though it would stick outwards from the board by the looks of things. Are they sturdy/light enough to be held in like that?

Yeah, they basically don't weigh anything, it's no issue. And if your mobo doesn't have dedicated slots, it's likely too old. Just google for it, really.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Kin posted:

I don't think the H77MA-G43 supports PCIe/NVMe booting, searching for info just turned up people trying to use weird BIOS mods to get it to work

I'd just get a SATA drive like the MX500 in your case

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Mordja posted:

So I heard on the Bombcast that there might not be a 3080ti and variants like that, Nvidia's just sticking with flat numbers. Is there any truth to this at all?

Looks like the 3090 is the 'ti' equivalent, but I'm sure in another year they'll have 'super' variants along with more economical ones (3060).

I have to say though... everything about them so far looks like a slam dunk. I've been waiting to upgrade my 980 and I believe this fall/winter I'll take the plunge. If everything they are saying is true, it's a really huge leap at a decent price. Now it just remains to be seen if you will actually be able to buy them at MSRP or not.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mordja posted:

All we know is what they’ve announced so far. There’s no reason they couldn’t announce a Ti next year, or another round of Super cards.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Mordja posted:

Nobody knows yet. There's plenty of room for a boutique card between the 3080 and big dick 3090, but who knows if and when it will be announced. I would guess there probably will be, but it won't be out until at least Spring of next year.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

Grapplejack posted:

As an aside if you're getting a hard drive don't buy seagate, all their poo poo is smd and they don't tell you this and as a result it's slow as gently caress when it pulls things off the drive

I got a 2tb drive for like $40 new in a sale and I felt ripped off

Not all Seagate magnetic drives are SMR. The issue is that both Western Digital and Seagate stopped indicating which ones have SMR so you have to be extra careful.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

repiv posted:

I don't think the H77MA-G43 supports PCIe/NVMe booting, searching for info just turned up people trying to use weird BIOS mods to get it to work

I'd just get a SATA drive like the MX500 in your case

Yeah I’d just go for a SATA drive

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I’ll be building my new PC this weekend. What’s a good game that’s preferably not full price that will be the best way to see how good my graphics can be?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

blue squares posted:

I’ll be building my new PC this weekend. What’s a good game that’s preferably not full price that will be the best way to see how good my graphics can be?

3dmark Time Spy

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

In all seriousness, this is a very subjective question that is hard to answer.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

blue squares posted:

There might be something in the Humble Monthly bundle that drops this Friday, I'd wait before buying anything.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

In all seriousness, this is a very subjective question that is hard to answer.

Sorry if it’s a dumb question with no answer. I’ve just been a console gamer for the past several years so I’ve forgotten everything about pc gaming

blue squares fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Sep 2, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

blue squares posted:

Sorry if it’s a dumb question with no answer. I’ve just been a console gamer for the past 6 years so I’ve forgotten everything about pc gaming
It's cool, really! I just hate it when people ask that kind of thing and I can't give a straight answer. It's super sensitive to specific system and driver setups and you can get crazy variation on the base line without anyone being able to explain why.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Strictly thinking about free games, War Thunder and Warframe are pretty good options. You can also subscribe to the Xbox gamepass for a month for a dollar and get shittons of games including Flight Sim which will bring your system to it's knees most likely.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

If you got an RTX graphics card then Control is a great showcase for raytracing, and it's currently fairly cheap

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

The best game to test with is the most demanding one that you actively want to play. If you're curious about a game as a graphical showpiece and want to play through it, then do so!

If the game just looks pretty but sounds unfun/not your style, it's not worth buying just to show off your new rig.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

blue squares posted:

Sorry if it’s a dumb question with no answer. I’ve just been a console gamer for the past 6 years so I’ve forgotten everything about pc gaming
I haven't played it but probably Control:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/870780/Control_Ultimate_Edition/

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I just finished a 2nd playthrough of Control on my PS4 so I can't justify that one. Here are some games I actually own on Steam that I can just download again:

Vanishing of Ethan Carter
Assassin Creed Origins
Deus Ex (new ones)
New Hitman
MGS Phantom Pain
Rise of Tomb Raider
Watch Dogs 2
Witcher 3

I'm sure one of these will work

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Witcher 3 or Watch dogs IMO

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Mordja posted:

Doesn't look like it.

https://www.dsogaming.com/news/nvidia-ampere-geforce-rtx-3070-ti-spotted-with-16gb-gddr6-vram-confirmed-by-lenovo/

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Lenovo leaks don't count for much, last generation they "leaked" the GTX 1180 which ended up not being real

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

repiv posted:

Lenovo leaks don't count for much, last generation they "leaked" the GTX 1180 which ended up not being real

Sure, but every tech site in existence has leaked something that ended up not being real at some point. This may or may not be, but seems unlikely to be fake. Nvidia is not one to leave money on the table, especially with how popular their TI cards have been in the past.

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

Reviews not showing up for anyone else? Everything's blank in the review section

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Sure, but every tech site in existence has leaked something that ended up not being real at some point. This may or may not be, but seems unlikely to be fake. Nvidia is not one to leave money on the table, especially with how popular their TI cards have been in the past.

Tech sites get stuff wrong all the time sure, but Lenovo is the only hardware manufacturer I know of that has listed components which literally don't exist before

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Cool. My current card's a 1070 and it's (mostly) still doing me fine, but I was thinking of waiting and splurging and going for a 3080ti for my next build.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Sep 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funkmeister
Feb 20, 2010

About your father. If it's any help, he's in the ground now. Sure, it's bad news for him. But on the other hand, it's party time for all those little worms.
TI name may possibly be not happening, but of course they are going to release a more powerful version of 3080 at less than the price of the 3090 in about a year.

funkmeister fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Sep 3, 2020