Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Coffee?
This poll is closed.
Yay! 54 34.39%
Nay. 43 27.39%
O-kay? 24 15.29%
Whatever. 36 22.93%
Total: 157 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Life is ever changing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

it's probably whatever julias or wark say feel like typing

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

and why are the titles in friggin quotation marks!!

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Strange Quark posted:

I didn’t understand any name this thread got, but why does it keep changing

You'd have to ask Wark. I have no clue what they mean either, but knowing him, they're probably the lyrics to some song.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
make this the thread title

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

verbal enema posted:

make this the thread title

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
:piss:

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
hell yeah

Kibibit
Sep 10, 2009

You must be a friend that's good at shredding!

:same:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

same

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5gFFmhxx80&t=1025s

If only this was a full show and not just the promo OVA for the Sakura Taisen mobage they just announced.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'm scared that Sakura Wars is what's gonna get me really invested in a gacha. Not even Fate could do that.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Cool take on power armor. Shame it's just another mobage.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Strange Quark posted:

I didn’t understand any name this thread got, but why does it keep changing
Listening to banging songs, mostly.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Not sure if I like or dislike the new Sakura Wars designs but the big feeling I'm getting is I want a new (non Gacha) Galaxy Fraulein Yuna game

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i wouldnt care if they made a gacha game as long as the old games got tled

tl og yuna 1 and not remix though please

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

chumbler posted:

Life is ever changing.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Never watched or played Sakura Wars but apparently Marine is really into it.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Wark Say posted:

The best Ghibli movie is a coinflip between Porco Rosso and The Tale of Princess Kaguya. For completely different reasons.
just like castle of cagliostro, porco rosso is the best miyazaki movie for adults because it's for adults. it even says so in the original trailer! porco would be the perfect animated movie if it wasn't for the weird almost-romantic subplot between a literal middle-aged pig and a child. an adult trying to have sex with a kid at least kinda made sense in cagliostro because it was the bad guy who was horny for the kid.

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Sep 3, 2020

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I’ve heard Cagliostro is a good Ghibli movie but out of curiosity, how is it as a Lupin movie in general?

While we’re on that subject, are there any other Lupin III movies that are worth seeing?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Sep 3, 2020

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

depends on what lupin you like i guess, it doesn't have any of the edge of part 1 or twcfm stuff

so it's not really at the top of my list, but i am still missing parts 2/3. secret of mamo and the modern trilogy are good movies though

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Castle is on Netflix (in the US, at least). Fujiko is more catwoman than seductress in this iteration. Probably for the best, since it's not like Miyazaki's drawing style would lend itself to being depicted otherwise.

Plot is good, animation is good, it's overall a good Lupin.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Pollyanna posted:

Never watched or played Sakura Wars but apparently Marine is really into it.

She was a big fan when she was younger (see her art stream for some Iris art I guess) and she and Fubuki are official shills for this new phone game.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Larryb posted:

I’ve heard Cagliostro is a good Ghibli movie but out of curiosity, how is it as a Lupin movie in general?

While we’re on that subject, are there any other Lupin III movies that are worth seeing?
it's technically not a ghibli movie, but miyazaki directed it. it's the best lupin movie and it isn't even close. it gets some flak from lupin purists because it makes Lupin into a noble hero instead of an antihero thief, but it's objectively so loving good you shouldn't mind that it feels more like a ghibli movie than a Lupin movie.

also I just looked it up and according to wikipedia, Spirited Away was the first film to gross $200 million worldwide before opening in North America, the film to finally overtake Titanic at the Japanese box office, the top-grossing film in the history of Japanese cinema, the second anime to win the Japan Academy Film Prize for Picture of the Year after Princess Mononoke, and the only anime to win the Oscar for Best Animated Feature, and has a 97% Rotten Tomatoes score. The notion that it isn't absolutely fantastic and a enormous critical/commercial success that defines the genre is a viewpoint held exclusively by internet-poisoned weebs on anime forums who can recite all the members of hololive from memory.

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Sep 3, 2020

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

TV Zombie posted:

Watched Spirited Away for the first time and...Is this one of Ghibli's weaker works?
It took some digging around wikis to realize that Haku's namesake river dried up as industry began expanding, eventually becoming part of a planned development of apartments and condos or something.

NohFace, I think, is something about consumerist culture as it actively gives people what they want, gorges on the attention in a negative loop and all.

My kids love it for some reason so I noticed that whole bit where he protects Chihiro is like a replay of when he pushed her out to land after falling in the water in her memories.

I do agree that it just kind of is for stretches, though it's enjoyable .

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

NohFace, I think, is something about consumerist culture as it actively gives people what they want, gorges on the attention in a negative loop and all.

According to Miyazaki himself, No Face exists in everyone's hearts. It's human weakness and greed personified.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

starbucks hermit posted:

Castle is on Netflix (in the US, at least). Fujiko is more catwoman than seductress in this iteration. Probably for the best, since it's not like Miyazaki's drawing style would lend itself to being depicted otherwise.

Plot is good, animation is good, it's overall a good Lupin.

Unfortunately last I heard the dub on there is the one where they called Lupin "Wolf" due to the LeBlanc estate bullshit and not the Animaze one with Hayter

JP Lupin rules too though, I've been watching parts 1 and 3 on and off

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
spirited away is easily the best animated movie ever made

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

I'm afraid that title belongs to The Transformers: The Movie.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Captain Cappy posted:

I'm afraid that title belongs to The Transformers: The Movie.

after this post you should be afraid

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

scary ghost dog posted:

sorry, that's shoushitsu

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

scary ghost dog posted:

you should watch The Night is Short, Walk on Girl

not as like a counterpoint to this, it's just a drat good movie. personally I havent seen spirited away since I was 10 so I have no opinion

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

TenementFunster posted:

just like castle of cagliostro, porco rosso is the best miyazaki movie for adults because it's for adults. it even says so in the original trailer! porco would be the perfect animated movie if it wasn't for the weird almost-romantic subplot between a literal middle-aged pig and a child. an adult trying to have sex with a kid at least kinda made sense in cagliostro because it was the bad guy who was horny for the kid.
I'll be honest, the only reason Porco Rosso became my fave Ghibli movie is due to the fact that Mononoke Hime has a much better audio "adaptation" of sorts in the form of the marvelous Kodama, by French Black Metal/Shoegaze/Post Rock band Alcest:

If you have 50 minutes of your day where you can put music and don't dislike occasional "metal growls", I highly recommend you to listen to it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFynCUzeS5M

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

TenementFunster posted:

The notion that it isn't absolutely fantastic and a enormous critical/commercial success that defines the genre is a viewpoint held exclusively by internet-poisoned weebs on anime forums who can recite all the members of hololive from memory.

what

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
and here i felt like i was being too incisive if i replied to their first post mocking them for saying cagliostro and porco rosso are for adults when half the narrative and emotional stock are carried by adolescent girls and miyazaki's pining for them.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

klapman posted:

you should watch The Night is Short, Walk on Girl

not as like a counterpoint to this, it's just a drat good movie. personally I havent seen spirited away since I was 10 so I have no opinion

yes, that movie is also very good. yuuasa ftw

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

If you can't name every member of Hololive then you shouldn't be allowed to post in this thread. And it is for that reason that this will be my last post because I forgot Tostinos Sora's last name.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

TenementFunster posted:

The notion that it isn't absolutely fantastic and a enormous critical/commercial success that defines the genre is a viewpoint held exclusively by internet-poisoned weebs on anime forums who can recite all the members of hololive from memory.

Implying that Japan is culturally predisposed to molestation. User loses posting privileges for 1 day.

scary ghost dog posted:

yes, that movie is also very good. yuuasa ftw

agreed, ride your wave is pretty good also. I hit a really huge kick in anime movies last year, I watched tons and tons of them and theres so many good ones out there. Patema Inverted, A Silent Voice, Summer Wars, Maquia (if you're into mari okada, which I am) oh and if you haven't seen it Mind Game is also incredible. I was extremely high while watching it but I read reviews online and others seemed to find it as insanely good as I did.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

homeless snail posted:

Anime Tonight @ 8pm eastern, Cure Earth continues her rampage in Healin' Good Precure, I forget what's happening in Magic Circle Guru Guru, and Lafiel prepares to confront Baron Febdash in Crest of the Stars
https://cytu.be/r/okayletswatchanime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://twitter.com/NicoIate/status/1301484368263892993

the higurashi mobage making the animation for pulling characters rena digging a magical crystal out of the loving garbage dump is the one thing i would ever ask of a higurashi mobage so i'm glad they did it