Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

gradenko_2000 posted:

Not only is it a real brain genius move to have your private universities rely on extracting foreign money from rich striplings and then just stop doing that over xenophobia, from an ideological perspective one of the greatest propaganda weapons ever wielded by the West was just having people who lived in communist countries travel to the West so they could marvel at just how much "better" everything was... and then now the US doesn't want people to be able to do that either!

Good job folks, top-shelf work.

They can't even do the land of opportunities bit right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Aren't Chinese students likely staying away this year because of Covid? New applicants, at least.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Very much so.

Gonna be a lot of gap years. And sone are looking at other countries entirely.

Man I bet NZ universities are gonna have their pick of Chinese students for the next couple years at least.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Not only is it a real brain genius move to have your private universities rely on extracting foreign money from rich striplings and then just 2 doing that over xenophobia, fr??om an one ~ the greatest propaganda weapons ever wielded by the West was just having people who lived in communist countries travel to the West so they could marvel at just how much "better" everything was... and then now the US doesn't want people to be able to do that either!

Plus the prestige of having the world's best and brightest, and also the world's richest, predominently choosing your schools. Plus you get to brain drain your adversaries, not only in taking some of their best students but you have institutions that can draw good researchers and lecturers that your adversaries educated domestically, too.

US higher ed, despite being a merciless meat grinder was enviable (from an elite perspective) in basically every conceivable way. And now that status is probably irrepairably damaged.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

VideoTapir posted:

Plus the prestige of having the world's best and brightest, and also the world's richest, predominently choosing your schools. Plus you get to brain drain your adversaries, not only in taking some of their best students but you have institutions that can draw good researchers and lecturers that your adversaries educated domestically, too.

US higher ed, despite being a merciless meat grinder was enviable (from an elite perspective) in basically every conceivable way. And now that status is probably irrepairably damaged.

On top of that, there are plenty of educated Americans who are biting at the bit to leave this hellhole of a country to go somewhere else. The US is gonna go through quite a brain drain itself.

Edit: Yes, I know no country on Earth is going to let Americans in for years decades, but still.

Okuteru has issued a correction as of 14:45 on Sep 1, 2020

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Isn't the US one of the only countries in the world that charges you to renounce citizenship? I'm not too sure about this, but I think a mate mentioned it to me some years back.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Heartcatch posted:

Isn't the US one of the only countries in the world that charges you to renounce citizenship? I'm not too sure about this, but I think a mate mentioned it to me some years back.

$2400 to declare yourself as not American. We have been a libertarian wet dream for decades.

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

Not only is it a real brain genius move to have your private universities rely on extracting foreign money from rich striplings and then just stop doing that over xenophobia, from an ideological perspective one of the greatest propaganda weapons ever wielded by the West was just having people who lived in communist countries travel to the West so they could marvel at just how much "better" everything was... and then now the US doesn't want people to be able to do that either!

Good job folks, top-shelf work.

To be fair, it is more embarrassing to have Chinese come to America and see the material state of our cities and our lack of social cohesion than it is for Americans to go to a Chinese city. This is harm reduction.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Ferdinand the Bull posted:

To be fair, it is more embarrassing to have Chinese come to America and see the material state of our cities and our lack of social cohesion than it is for Americans to go to a Chinese city. This is harm reduction.

This is why a lot of Chinese students form insular communities on campus. Not because they have to pledge allegiance to the CCP. It's because Americans are assholes.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
They do that in Japan, too.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I had a student preparing to study in the US, asking me for advice. I told him to only eat with Chinese people once a week.

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

When I lived abroad I hung out with mostly English-speaking Westerners. I dont really blame Chinese for doing what is comfortable.

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
yeah if that’s the case we can throw most diasporas under the bus cause everybody hangs out with their own people if they weren’t already from a melting pot country

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
modi the flim flam man

https://mobile.twitter.com/globaltimesnews/status/1300488591009673216

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, a 23.9% 2nd GDP decline is brutal for India and Q3 may not be great for them either (it may be positive but it is doubtful the Indian economy is just going to be able to bounce back).

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
I love the global times. It's exactly what you'd expect from someone writing rabid nationalism in their second language (that is subsequently adequately proofread).

I bet it's an interesting workplace for the native English speakers there.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Rabelais D posted:

I love the global times. It's exactly what you'd expect from someone writing rabid nationalism in their second language (that is subsequently adequately proofread).

I bet it's an interesting workplace for the native English speakers there.
put. that coffee. down.

coffee is for editors only. you think i'm loving with you? i am not loving with you. i'm here from downtown. i'm here from people's daily. and i'm here on a mission of mercy. your name is levine? you call yourself a propagandist you son of a bitch

we're also adding a little something to this week's traffic contest. as you all know, first prize is a great wall steed. anyone wanna see second prize? second prize is a set of steak knives. third prize is you're fired.

BrutalistMcDonalds has issued a correction as of 03:12 on Sep 2, 2020

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx has issued a correction as of 05:31 on Mar 23, 2021

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I envision a team of twenty-something assistant editors present boss man Hu xijin 50 competing tweets on giant cardboards. Hu slight nod on the approved tweets while getting a massage; the secretary behind him post it in twitter/weibo/douyin immidiately.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

put. that coffee. down.

coffee is for editors only. you think i'm loving with you? i am not loving with you. i'm here from downtown. i'm here from people's daily. and i'm here on a mission of mercy. your name is levine? you call yourself a propagandist you son of a bitch

we're also adding a little something to this week's traffic contest. as you all know, first prize is a great wall steed. anyone wanna see second prize? second prize is a set of steak knives. third prize is you're fired.

Third prize is you go on tv and tell your family you're fine and here on your own accord

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/nick_kapur/status/1300994647351848963/photo/1

is that what the article actually says because the picture of a coiffed dude suggests to me that this is an article about poo poo that happened a couple of hundred years ago not something we do right now

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
SCMP: US seeks formal alliance similar to Nato with India, Japan and Australia, State Department official says

quote:

1 Sep, 2020

Washington aims to formalise its closer Indo-Pacific defence relations with India, Japan and Australia – also known as “the quad” – into something more closely resembling the North Atlantic Treaty Organisation (Nato), a senior US State Department official said on Monday.

The US government’s goal is to get the grouping of four countries and others in the region to work together as a bulwark against “a potential challenge from China” and “to create a critical mass around the shared values and interests of those parties in a manner that attracts more countries in the Indo-Pacific and even from around the world … ultimately to align in a more structured manner”, said Deputy Secretary of State Stephen Biegun.

“The Indo-Pacific region is actually lacking in strong multilateral structures,” he said. “They don‘t have anything of the fortitude of Nato or the European Union. The strongest institutions in Asia oftentimes are not, I think, not inclusive enough and so … there is certainly an invitation there at some point to formalise a structure like this.”

“Remember even Nato started with relatively modest expectations and a number of countries [initially] chose neutrality over Nato membership,” Biegun added.

Biegun cautioned that Washington would keep its ambitions for a Pacific Nato “checked”, saying that such a formal alliance “only will happen if the other countries are as committed as the United States”.

Speaking with former US ambassador to India, Richard Verma, in an online discussion organised by the US-India Strategic Partnership Forum, Biegun also said the group of four nations were expected to meet in Delhi sometime this autumn and cited Australia’s possible participation in India’s Malabar naval exercise as an example of progress towards a more formal defence bloc.

India is “clearly indicating an intention to invite Australia to participate in the Malabar naval exercises, which will be a tremendous step forward in ensuring the freedom of passage and the security of the seas in the Indo-Pacific”, he said.

The naval exercises, taking place mostly in the Bay of Bengal, have been run annually by the US and India since 1992, and have included Japan since 2015.

Australia had taken part in the Malabar games once, in 2007, “but Beijing pushed back, meaning that India demurred on repeating the invitation, ostensibly for fear of needlessly antagonising China, despite Canberra’s clear willingness to take part,” the Sydney-based think tank Lowy Institute said in a July report. Singapore also took part in 2007.

The Lowy report said clashes between Chinese and Indian troops in June in the Himalayan Galwan valley, in which at least 20 Indian soldiers died, made the Indian government more inclined to bring Australia back into the Malabar games.

Japan and the United States have already been invited to join this year’s exercise, which has been delayed because of Covid-19, but Delhi has not yet formally invited Australia.

Biegun’s comments follow those of Donald Trump’s national security adviser Robert O’Brien, who on Friday called China’s territorial claims in the South China Sea “ridiculous” and touted upcoming quad meetings and planned visits by Secretary of State Mike Pompeo with his counterparts in India, Japan and Australia in September and October.

The State Department official also suggested that Washington would like to see South Korea, Vietnam and New Zealand to eventually join an expanded version of the quad, citing the “very cooperative” meetings that the group of four had with officials from these countries about the response to the coronavirus pandemic.

Those meetings between senior-level officials of the seven countries were “incredibly productive discussion among very, very cooperative partners, and one that we should look at to see a natural grouping of countries that really will do their very best to advance this combination of interests that we have made up Pacific”, Biegun said.

hell yeah babey we're bringing SEATO back!!!

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

but I thought Trump hated multilateral treaties. hmm

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
India has been trying to walk its own path of "non aligned movement" ever since its first PM Nehru. This movement has its own logic because it's a group of formerly colonized people trying to build their countries in their own ways and it made India the de facto leader.

If the Hindu nationalist BJP wants to throw that all away and join the "NATO East" its real stupid of Modi. Because it loses your ambiguity and makes you officially join the Team US. But in fact at the present time, the Indian economy and the Chinese economy don't really compete. They are more complementary in many areas such as the Indian generic drug industry heavily rely on Chinese sourced ingredients. China is also no longer just an exporter of cheap goods, China is now a world leader in everything infrastructure building related. India is a country that BADLY needs infrastructure upgrades. If you are going to build all your highways, subways, trains and 5G networks without the help of Chinese companies it's going to make everything way more expensive. This is something neither Japan not the US can help India. For example, see the Japanese high-speed rail project in India has been a disaster. Indian railways already kill hundreds of people every year at slow speed. Don't google Indian train accident news if you don't have the stomach.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

maybe we should follow the lead of the taiwanese people and not try to force the issue one way or the other? lol. just a thought

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

VideoTapir posted:

Very much so.

Gonna be a lot of gap years. And sone are looking at other countries entirely.

Man I bet NZ universities are gonna have their pick of Chinese students for the next couple years at least.

unless Priti Patel does the same thing as Pompeo here, probably the UK too, especially Scotland

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Spergin Morlock posted:

maybe we should follow the lead of the taiwanese people and not try to force the issue one way or the other? lol. just a thought

The problem is Taiwan doesn't have sovereignty, they're continued existence is predicated on US support.

All of Taiwans democratic institutions are necessarily secondary to us foreign policy directives. Functionally this means the Taiwanese people can only "lead" if the US allows them to.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Venomous posted:

unless Priti Patel does the same thing as Pompeo here, probably the UK too, especially Scotland

Come study on rainy covid island, we've got

- rain
- disease
- quite a lot of racism
- charming villages

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I can't imagine what a US recognition would do anyway, I assume China would immediately escalate and blockade the island or do something equally insane because the nationalists in the pla would lose their poo poo

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
SEATO is NEATO

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Some Guy TT posted:

https://twitter.com/nick_kapur/status/1300994647351848963/photo/1

is that what the article actually says because the picture of a coiffed dude suggests to me that this is an article about poo poo that happened a couple of hundred years ago not something we do right now

It's what the article kind-of says, but lol the tweeter's interpretation as opposed to translation is way off base

tl;dr "Prime Minister of the United States: This position does not exist in the American system of government, but the title is sometimes used as a sarcastic description of a 'power behind the throne'. (section about the failure of such a position to develop under Hamilton as Secretary of the Treasury even with the High Lord of the Treasury analogue) (examples of history books, course notes, and Commonwealth newspapers which applied it to Newt Gingrich, or to Haig after Reagan was shot)".

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I believe the contemporary term is now "Shadow President" that's what the US press was calling Bannon.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Double posting for Japanese next PM update: Taro Kono (defense minister) has thrown his support behind Yoshihide Suga (Chief Cabinet Secretary)

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...SKBN25U0MY?il=0

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

OhFunny posted:

Double posting for Japanese next PM update: Taro Kono (defense minister) has thrown his support behind Yoshihide Suga (Chief Cabinet Secretary)

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...SKBN25U0MY?il=0

what does this mean, for morons who don't follow every intricacy of the political system that rules over our cartoon-producers?

finally, a government font decision i can support

note that it's still the same size in Chinese

Goatse James Bond has issued a correction as of 07:40 on Sep 3, 2020

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

GreyjoyBastard posted:

what does this mean, for morons who don't follow every intricacy of the political system that rules over our cartoon-producers?

finally, a government font decision i can support

note that it's still the same size in Chinese

Suga is kind of Abe's run around, and has no his own factional bases, so he will continue Abe's policy closely.

Gaupo Guacho
Aug 5, 2010

by Pragmatica

comedyblissoption posted:

china is now murdering 1/3, incarcerating 1/3, and converting 1/3
https://twitter.com/aaronjmate/status/1297938595454615552
lol does this guy do anything besides deny war crimes and genocide and call it anti-imperialism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
thinkin bout thos lockdowns