Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
One of the discord links in the OP is dead and the other lead to a totally silent channel.

Anyone playing this still? I put in Many Hours back in the day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

the chat channel usually has someone in it, but the goonwave for the revival broke a while ago. you can still log in and play with pubbies, though

EDIT: Kuhulin's server is still sporadically active, I have no idea how ICR's server is doing these days

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

One of the discord links in the OP is dead and the other lead to a totally silent channel.

Anyone playing this still? I put in Many Hours back in the day

Not having a solid plan for permanence killed my massive enthusiasm.

I love, love, love COH but I'm not gonna spent dozens of hours on a character that could be wiped at any time.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Inzombiac posted:

Not having a solid plan for permanence killed my massive enthusiasm.

I love, love, love COH but I'm not gonna spent dozens of hours on a character that could be wiped at any time.

Yeah that's also kinda curbing my desire to come back. Not to mention I already spent way too many hours completing all of the 1-30 content multiple times trying new gimmick characters when the original game was live. I'd want to see stuff I didn't see the first time like the villain endgame stories, or the 'going rogue' stuff.
I'm not a kid with the same hours to sink into grinding anymore.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

it's been a year and a half, you just have anxiety

also you ding 20 in about an hour now

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

LordSaturn posted:

also you ding 20 in about an hour now

Oh so they did speed it up? Or is it just folks know the good farming spots/missions and don't mind you tagging along?
Like one of the better things about private servers for other games was how seeing stuff like 100x drop and exp rates. Hell it actually made even some korean mmos like ragnarok online fun.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Coolness Averted posted:

Oh so they did speed it up? Or is it just folks know the good farming spots/missions and don't mind you tagging along?
Like one of the better things about private servers for other games was how seeing stuff like 100x drop and exp rates. Hell it actually made even some korean mmos like ragnarok online fun.

You can get a free double xp booster, at the cost of influence. But influence drop are tiny compared to what you get from selling salvage. You pick that up, and then run the newbie sewer trial a few times and you'll be ready to go do TFs or whatever.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

1) run double XP all the time, until you hit 50. you will always make more selling stuff at the auction house than you would from drops, unless you are a farmer. (you can AH from anywhere outdoors, /ah exists now)
2) run the Death from Below instance four times for each new character. Fifteen minutes per run, each run grants a buff that lasts until level 22, with double XP on you will fall out the end right at level 18

levels 1-20 are effectively an extension of the character builder and are, rightly, almost entirely erased. people do still backtrack to do Positron etc but nobody sane actually grinds to 20 anymore

just wait'll you hear what they did to Incarnate XP/drops

EDIT: vvv Do people still talk about City of Heroes there?

LordSaturn fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Sep 2, 2020

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014

LordSaturn posted:

the chat channel usually has someone in it, but the goonwave for the revival broke a while ago. you can still log in and play with pubbies, though

EDIT: Kuhulin's server is still sporadically active, I have no idea how ICR's server is doing these days

ICR's server is fuckin' huge

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

LordSaturn posted:

1) run double XP all the time, until you hit 50. you will always make more selling stuff at the auction house than you would from drops, unless you are a farmer. (you can AH from anywhere outdoors, /ah exists now)
2) run the Death from Below instance four times for each new character. Fifteen minutes per run, each run grants a buff that lasts until level 22, with double XP on you will fall out the end right at level 18

levels 1-20 are effectively an extension of the character builder and are, rightly, almost entirely erased. people do still backtrack to do Positron etc but nobody sane actually grinds to 20 anymore

just wait'll you hear what they did to Incarnate XP/drops

EDIT: vvv Do people still talk about City of Heroes there?

if you don't do at least a level or two in kings row you're playing CoH wrong

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Jazerus posted:

if you don't do at least a level or two in kings row you're playing CoH wrong

yeah, 49 and 50

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

LordSaturn posted:

Excuse me but my anxiety is unrelated!

But seriously, I went through most content when the game was live and had a ball. Most of my issue now is that no builds are really clicking with me.

My main was a Robo/Dark MM that was an unkillable fuckmachine and everything else feels dull in comparison.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

yeah, but have you tried Robo/Time???

there are several new powersets and they're all pretty strong, if not wildly OP. time is compared to dark support a lot - it just has a whole assortment of effects it can use, which is always powerful in a support set

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

One of these days I'll jump back in with both feet. I come back every once in a while for a couple days but I keep being too lazy to play with pubbie groups. I miss when the goon chat channel was constantly super active but those days aren't going to return :ohdear: It was really fun to log on at pretty much any time and there are a couple goon groups with stuff going on.

Game's still super fun, though. As someone who played for literally like a week when the game originally launched in 2004 and never touched it again after that, the big thing that keeps sticking with me is that I completely understand now why so many people missed the game so much. It's just a drat fun MMO.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Inzombiac posted:

Excuse me but my anxiety is unrelated!

But seriously, I went through most content when the game was live and had a ball. Most of my issue now is that no builds are really clicking with me.

My main was a Robo/Dark MM that was an unkillable fuckmachine and everything else feels dull in comparison.

I had a robo/dark on live. Bots have the worst DPS of any MM, but they're extremely sturdy, and when you throw in the debuffs from dark they can easily stand up to an AV.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Mr. Maggy posted:

ICR's server is fuckin' huge

I had no idea ICR had a COH Server. Where's the deets on it?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Even beyond "Yaaay robots! :buddy:" I liked my initial bots/dark way back when because hit or miss, you can tell when your robots are working.

It's just not the same watching commandos gun down parking meters for bonus time, compared to the full :pcgaming: spectacle.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

Gynovore posted:

I had a robo/dark on live. Bots have the worst DPS of any MM, but they're extremely sturdy, and when you throw in the debuffs from dark they can easily stand up to an AV.

Really? I always hear people making GBS threads on Mercs as 'the worst' instead.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Kheldarn posted:

I had no idea ICR had a COH Server. Where's the deets on it?

I think we're talking about a discord server

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

LordSaturn posted:

I think we're talking about a discord server

Oh. Bah!

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Crasical posted:

Really? I always hear people making GBS threads on Mercs as 'the worst' instead.

Never played mercs, but from what I've heard, they're extremely mediocre. Damage isn't amazing, they're not especially sturdy, they have no mezzes or debuffs, and Serum is terribad.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Gynovore posted:

Never played mercs, but from what I've heard, they're extremely mediocre. Damage isn't amazing, they're not especially sturdy, they have no mezzes or debuffs, and Serum is terribad.

I played Mercs, and pretty much this. Especially about Serum.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
My Monarch-themed ripoff is Thugs/Dark I heard that was good

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
The Legendary Vic Goss is Mercs/Empathy with most of his powers in the fighting pool because that's what makes sense. :colbert:

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Gynovore posted:

Spec ops have a little debuffing and mez but it's weak. The commando's attack chain is also hosed.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Comfortador posted:

My Monarch-themed ripoff is Thugs/Dark I heard that was good

Thugs are very good but require a bit more managing than other sets because Arsonist LOVES getting into melee range.

My old gaming partner played Thugs/FF and seemed to have a great time with it. Granted that was with me healing with Dark so YMMV.

I have a Demon/Storm that I've been plinking away at. I adore both sets but I don't think it synergizes all that well.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

also worth noting that they patched the MM minion AI to make it less absurdly suicidal

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
My Demons/Dark MM Ronald Reagan was a hell of a lot of fun

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

MMs are so much more fun and pleasant after the AI fixes. Still some underlying issues but good progress.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I want new costume pieces. They said there was going to be new costume pieces.

Also I guess they gave up on converting the color selection to hexadecimal? That would have helped my costume game a bit.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The full color selection thing was a proof of concept their UI programmer did on a whim, not something that was explicitly planned as a new feature.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
In some ways this game is a lot more fun than I remember. They definitely updated the number of visual options since I last played. I don't remember the auras and trails at all.

On the other hand, goddamn is there a lot of running around, and it's really inconsistent with the XP handouts. Sometimes it seems like I get a good chunk of XP for a mission and other times it seems like I get virtually none, and none of it seems to correlate with the amount of time I spend on the mission, or its complexity. Some of the maps are also aggravating to navigate and I find myself wandering around for far too long in some and I stumble right onto the objective straight away in others.

It's definitely a product of its time and it was a time when MMOs were questionably respectful of peoples' time, but I'll probably stick with it for at least a little while longer. My character may be the coolest looking character I've ever made in a game. I remember always having trouble with that in this game when it was live.

Mr Scumbag fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Sep 10, 2020

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

well don't post screenshots or anything!!!

some of the time-sinkiness is solvable; there are faster ways to level up, i.e. sticking to 2x XP and just doing TFs/SFs all the way to 50. there's just a ton of quality-of-life stuff that depends on you knowing about it, like the mega-teleport-hub on Excelsior that was built by a player and is provided to others solely by word of mouth

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I forget if I ever posted this but I thought the combo of half-skull and red wizard goatee was a fun combo.
Feel free to use :D

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

LordSaturn posted:

some of the time-sinkiness is solvable; there are faster ways to level up, i.e. sticking to 2x XP and just doing TFs/SFs all the way to 50. there's just a ton of quality-of-life stuff that depends on you knowing about it, like the mega-teleport-hub on Excelsior that was built by a player and is provided to others solely by word of mouth

Everlasting has one of those too:
/macroimage Veteran_TeleportBase BaseTP "enterbasefrompasscode zone-8888"

It's almost as busy as Ouroboros and has a ton of amenities.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

LordSaturn posted:

Demon Summoning/Dark Misasma.

I have a purple version as well as versions of both without wings.

I don't see it as all that creative (which is why I didn't proudly post a pic because this is probably wrote as gently caress since way back), but I'm always pretty hardcore toward the theme I like, as basic as it is. Obviously a villain. I like necro/demonic characters in RPG's.

Edit: The other main variant is purple and black without wings but with bigger shoulders which I think I prefer.

Mr Scumbag fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Sep 11, 2020

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Well, normally I hate red/black and spikes but this somehow looks dope!

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

I think that's mostly Circle of Thorns stuff, which wasn't available at all during release? and the bio armor wings, I'm not sure if those were a DLC pack or what

it may be a little bit "stereotypical spikey red-black villain" but it's at least not full REDBLACK and you get to see the actual textures underneath!

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The redesigned CoT stuff came out I think at the exact same time as the group itself got those parts. They're honestly probably some of best all around work they ever did; I've found myself using individual bits and pieces pretty regularly . Though it is a shame that one of the most interesting parts is male-only - there's a set of crazy back spikes with a different texture style (same matte plant matter-y style that the alternate shoulder bits use).

Bio stuff was Mutant Origin Pack.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Sep 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Usually I have a problem with costume sets in that they don't really blend well with pieces outside of their set. I feel that's the case with some of the CoT pieces, especially the long skirt, but I have gotten other parts to work well with others like the shoulder pads and hood.