Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

Akion posted:

No fix for the missing Altitude knob on the G58, then? :(

No planes/systems fixes at all. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
lol the in-game update is literally 87 kilobytes

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
My amateur surgery to disable the unskippable publisher ads was blocking the Steam update. Do a force recheck and the update will download.

(The correct way to disable those ads is to add -FastLaunch to the game command line from Properties > Set Launch Options in Steam)

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Akion posted:

No fix for the missing Altitude knob on the G58, then? :(

Left Ctrl + PgUp/PgDown

Edit: They flashed by too fast to really see what they were, but it looked like the update included a few files with 747 in the name. Maybe there were a few plane fixes?

Edit 2: Found the actual release notes, guess not.

quote:

STABILITY ISSUES
The title will no longer crash when different input devices/peripherals are disconnected
The title will no longer crash when the TBM 930 package is deleted
INSTALLATION ISSUES
The install process will no longer be blocked after a partial decompression of a package
The install process will no longer be blocked when a local user account includes non-ASCII characters
The install process will no longer be blocked after a failed connection to servers
The install process will no longer display an empty onboarding screen under certain conditions
The title will download a critical missing/deleted package to access the main menu even if the save data preference is set to offline (when an internet connection is available)
CONTENT MANAGER
The title will no longer automatically download packages that have been deleted through the content manager
The content manager will no longer get stuck in an infinite loading state when checked offline
The Creator name of the packages should now be properly updated
SIMCONNECT
Significant FPS drop when using Simconnect should no longer affect the experience
OPTIMIZATION
The performance of the title has been improved when the Display name plate option is set to active
MARKETPLACE
The correct currency is now properly updated in the marketplace

Theris fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Sep 2, 2020

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Sagebrush posted:

lol the in-game update is literally 87 kilobytes

Steam downloaded 300mb update for me.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

lobsterminator posted:

Rise of Flight is having a sale now. The base game with a handful of planes is free, though. I recommend trying it out, I've had good fun with it through the years.

https://riseofflight.com/store/

Assuming I like the free-to-play game, does anyone have any recommendations for throwing a ~$10 on DLC? Looks like you can buy planes and modification ala-carte at the store and packs of stuff on Steam? I'm mostly single-player oriented.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.

Zero One posted:

Steam downloaded 300mb update for me.

The patch itself is 300mb, then the in-game content manager downloads another 87kb of fixes.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Assuming I like the free-to-play game, does anyone have any recommendations for throwing a ~$10 on DLC? Looks like you can buy planes and modification ala-carte at the store and packs of stuff on Steam? I'm mostly single-player oriented.

It's best to get all the modifications for the planes. I don't have recommendations for planes, I don't have too many myself. I bought an entire series of Nieuport planes so I could play an evolving campaign using that series of planes. If you buy totally random planes from different countries it will be harder to use them if you like to play the campaign mode.

There's also this nice campaign generator. It takes a bit of learning, so it's best to go with the built in campaign first. This just adds a bit of variety later on.

https://riseofflight.com/forum/forum/394-pat-wilsons-campaign-generator/

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

So the patch didn't fix the broken rudder controls on Xbox controller?

Such an easy fix, and a core functionality for a first party controller.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Oceanbound posted:

The patch itself is 300mb, then the in-game content manager downloads another 87kb of fixes.

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/core-content-mandatory-packages-what-does-relaunch-the-game-to-update-means/244814
They said the 87kb isn't a patch, I dunno, the difference is academic. I think they just don't want people to think they have the patch when they need to quit and reload first.

edit: for the MS Store version it kicked me out at the launch screen and had me update there.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

quote:

OPTIMIZATION
The performance of the title has been improved when the Display name plate option is set to active
It's the Coherent UI stuff of the glass cockpit that messes with the performance, as proven when messing with the relevant JS in the resource packages.

The name tag stuff is also rendered with it, as is anything else in e.g. third person view. There's sure some optimization potential there, to stop Coherent from blocking the rendering loop. I mean, we got plenty of cores nowadays.

--edit:
Oh the 87KB patch is updating all the in-game panels and cockpit instruments. I guess they did mess with Coherent UI.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Sep 2, 2020

CaptainEO
Sep 24, 2007

Found Something Great Here

lobsterminator posted:

RemoteFlight apps for GA gauges and maps:
https://www.remoteflight.net/

Anyone know if these RemoteFlight instrument apps work with FS2020?

Incidentally, I got ForeFlight to work as a moving map using SimConnect. It was mostly OK but sometimes the aircraft position would jump between the in-sim position and my iPad’s actual GPS location XD.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Citation still flies like it has a diaper full of poo poo but at least SimConnect is fixed.

Cervix-A-Lot
Sep 29, 2006
Cheeeeesy

Funso Banjo posted:

So the patch didn't fix the broken rudder controls on Xbox controller?

Such an easy fix, and a core functionality for a first party controller.

What is wrong with rudder controls on an xbox controller?

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

CaptainEO posted:

Anyone know if these RemoteFlight instrument apps work with FS2020?

Incidentally, I got ForeFlight to work as a moving map using SimConnect. It was mostly OK but sometimes the aircraft position would jump between the in-sim position and my iPad’s actual GPS location XD.

I read their support instructions and it says they use FSUIPC. There is a beta of FSUIPC for MSFS but it made the game unplayable for me. Dropped my frame rate to single digits. But the good news is, once FSUIPC is working these will also work.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
Just had discussion with one of my best friends who is a pilot with Lufthansa and got turbo hosed by COVID:

Would people pay for flight lessons/sessions with him in Flight Simulator? Are there things like that already?

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

ephex posted:

Just had discussion with one of my best friends who is a pilot with Lufthansa and got turbo hosed by COVID:

Would people pay for flight lessons/sessions with him in Flight Simulator? Are there things like that already?

Think for that question itd be good to know kind of what he wants/needs to earn, or whether he really means in game or helping with making a series of tutorials (like crowd fund a proper tutorial)

Mind you I'm just throwing things out there but I can see the value in taking a sim serious, it helped me a lot when I was taking glider lessons

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

There are a couple of users ITT who do extremely helpful effort posts and even did live lessons on discord and those things get plenty of attention but I don't know if you could make that financially interesting unless you really go around the wider community

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

ephex posted:

There's a bunch of youtubers who seem to be actual pilots making content for the game.

I would say he should definitely try, and also try out making videos or twitch streaming too, especially if he's already motivated enough from needing work. A lot of people would be interested.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I would almost guarantee no one will give him money personally for lessons unless it counts as instruction hours they can credit to something so just piling on with the idea he can do tutorials or other content on YouTube fishing for a Patreon or whatever it is you do to get money from there these days.

E. Keep in mind he's going to be competing with hundreds of other laid off pilots with sim equipment, sorry :(

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

ephex posted:

He should get on Twitch, there's several airline pilots who have a good number of viewers on there.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I think the lack of study level planes would be tough for some folks - I know I’d love to get a more personal input of “here’s how I fly my jet at work,” but without a shared cockpit and a study level craft it’s kind of DOA. Not sure how much I’d be willing to spend for it either. It’s definitely a tough sell. :/

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/sep/02/grounded-beef-airlines-sell-in-flight-meals-to-earthbound-travellers

Wasn’t someone ITT looking to buy airline food for MFS?

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

lobsterminator posted:

I read their support instructions and it says they use FSUIPC. There is a beta of FSUIPC for MSFS but it made the game unplayable for me. Dropped my frame rate to single digits. But the good news is, once FSUIPC is working these will also work.

This is not just an FSUIPC problem but a known bug in MSFS2020's SimConnect implementation (anything that polls it quickly lags out the sim).

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
heh, Milford Sound in NZ certainly shows up the limitations of the terrain rendering and Bing photography...

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Huh just had my game CTD while just cruising (at 2x sim speed). Wasn't messing with the controls or anything. Game just... stopped.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Don't people complain about airplane food blandness because tastebuds don't work as well at the decreased pressure or something. Would be interesting what people think of airplane food at sea level.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

That was me! Unfortunately these don't appear to do delivery in America. I've been trying to get in touch with local airline catering, but none of them offer this. poo poo out of luck I think. It was a fun idea, but i've given up.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Yay the patch did keep it from crashing if I leave it unattended a while.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Does anyone know the proper torque and rpm settings for the grand caravan in climb and cruise?

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

hannibal posted:

This is not just an FSUIPC problem but a known bug in MSFS2020's SimConnect implementation (anything that polls it quickly lags out the sim).

SimConnect was fixed in the latest patch

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Taking off from Chagual airport at 4,000 feet, when it's 44 degrees out during winter, and boxed in all sides? :stare: Once you get flying into the canyon there are crazy gusts.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

big nipples big life posted:

Does anyone know the proper torque and rpm settings for the grand caravan in climb and cruise?

this is probably close enough

https://www.redskyventures.org/doc/cessna-poh/Cessna_208_C208B-G1000_Grandcaravan_POH-PIM_2008.pdf

Review section 5. The chart above is from page ~257 of the PDF

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Sagebrush posted:

this is probably close enough

https://www.redskyventures.org/doc/cessna-poh/Cessna_208_C208B-G1000_Grandcaravan_POH-PIM_2008.pdf

Review section 5. The chart above is from page ~257 of the PDF

Awesome, thanks.

coke
Jul 12, 2009

ROFLBOT posted:

heh, Milford Sound in NZ certainly shows up the limitations of the terrain rendering and Bing photography...

lol @ that mitre peak is the equivalent of a concrete parking lot, maybe they've got the right idea to fit more tourists in the area during summer

coke
Jul 12, 2009
also a warning to people who want to fly near iceland, apparently it's a known crash to desktop bug if you try to depart or fly near KEF/Keflavík, you can however fly from AEY/Akureyri though

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

coke posted:

also a warning to people who want to fly near iceland, apparently it's a known crash to desktop bug if you try to depart or fly near KEF/Keflavík, you can however fly from AEY/Akureyri though

Interesting, I flew from Heathrow to Reykjavik Airport because I didn't realize KEF was the main airport and flew directly over KEF without any issues, but I didn't know how to use the localizer/ILS procedures at the time so I was completely confused when autopilot was telling me to go way out into the ocean for the routing I had selected, so I just decided to land locally and was then confused at why my A320 was being told to park at GA Parking.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/thebestiespod/status/1300821212604628993?s=21

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Clearly he just needs to fly the Extra 330.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Cervix-A-Lot posted:

What is wrong with rudder controls on an xbox controller?
The rudder controls are bizarrely digital on an Xbox controller, even though they default to the triggers. So you can either have 0% rudder or 100%.