Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Arglebargle III posted:

I like that it's four episodes in and 9/11* hasn't happened.

Star Trek 2009, Star Trek Into Darkness, Star Trek Beyond, and Star Trek Picard all featured massive terrorist attacks on civilian targets.

This is a good point and I hope they have the tiniest bit of restraint to not make everything some dark lovely plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Arglebargle III posted:

Star Trek 2009, Star Trek Into Darkness, Star Trek Beyond, and Star Trek Picard all featured massive terrorist attacks on civilian targets.

Episode 6 is just a VHS recording of the actual 9/11 for 24 minutes.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

HD DAD posted:

Episode 6 is just a VHS recording of the actual 9/11 for 24 minutes.

*Mariner yawns theatrically* Oh man are you guys still watching this? Boy this sure is lame right?? Bazinga!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Arglebargle III posted:

That's a really good point.

Also while not quite on the same scale there was that mining colony getting shot up by the Klingons in Discovery, complete with screaming children.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Snow Cone Capone posted:

One thing I've seen very little of, is people going "here is what I thought/expected/hoped the show would be."

Like, ok. It's not as highbrow as TNG. A lot of the jokes are rapid-fire and there's a lot of one-off references. What do you actually want?

It's not like Trek's never done comedy before, it's just never been a whole series of it. Even stuffy old TNG could laugh a little sometimes.

"Mr. Crusher, take us back to Betazed. ...warp nine."

I guess my answer is, if I were in charge of Star Trek, I don't think I'd do a whole series centered on comedy. I feel like the humor in Trek worked in part because we're seeing people who are normally depicted handling serious situations being confronted by something silly. I'm perfectly fine with comedy episodes; hell, I got someone hooked on TOS by way of A Piece Of The Action!

It also worked because we liked the characters, and... I don't like Boimler or Mariner so far. :/ Rutherford and Tandi are okay! But maybe me not liking the two main leads is a big factor of why the show isn't fully clicking with me.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
Maybe it's off camera syndrome, but I think I'm enjoying the upper decks cast more then the lower decks.

Boimler I like immensely, but hits a little too close to home.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

shades of eternity posted:

Maybe it's off camera syndrome, but I think I'm enjoying the upper decks cast more then the lower decks.

Boimler I like immensely, but hits a little too close to home.
"The guy who has a dream and wants to do everything properly to achieve it but is constantly hosed over by circumstances or the assholes around him" is like the lead character of 90% of sitcoms.

In the other 10%, he's more like Arnold J Rimmer.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Payndz posted:

"The guy who has a dream and wants to do everything properly to achieve it but is constantly hosed over by circumstances or the assholes around him" is like the lead character of 90% of sitcoms.

To be fair Boimer's a bit of both.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Payndz posted:

There's a little Rimmer in all of us. :p

but can we have phasers then? (his one amazing skill shown in the entire series.)

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

If his cybernetic murdercompetence in a simulation isn't a setup for a moment of heroism later the writers have hosed up.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

One thing I've seen very little of, is people going "here is what I thought/expected/hoped the show would be."

Like, ok. It's not as highbrow as TNG. A lot of the jokes are rapid-fire and there's a lot of one-off references. What do you actually want?
Futurama but in the Star Trek setting? The Orville but animated? Red Dwarf but the rest of the crew aren't dead? You know, something funny.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Yes, some of the LDS humor does seem geared more towards 21st-century American sensibilities than 24th-century post-scarcity human sensibilities. So what should be done instead?

Seems like extrapolating "what Future Humans would find humorous" would be every bit as hit-or-miss as the current sense of humor. But if not, I'm genuinely curious.
No one wants jokes that hypothetical future-people might like. They want jokes about hypothetical future people - rather than jokes using hypothetical future-people as stand-ins for present-day people.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Tiggum posted:

Futurama but in the Star Trek setting? The Orville but animated? Red Dwarf but the rest of the crew aren't dead? You know, something funny.

Pretty much this. I don't mind Lower Decks but I feel like it's main flaw is just not being as funny as it thinks it is.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

A dry Venture Bros-esque character comedy about a lovely failcrew that delivers on the premise of the opening credits

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I do admit while I'm warmer on the show than some of the goons, it's hard for the episode contents to match the perfection of the shot where the Cerritos just peaces out on the Romulans when the Cube vibe checks their shields one time.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Tiggum posted:

Red Dwarf OK but guaranteed if the show was like the other 2 people would be complaining "it's just Futurama with Transporters instead of the tube system"

Also Futurama is way more irreverent with actual sci-fi stuff and I don't think the style of humor would work that well at all in a Trek setting.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I mean, I think a dry humor would have fit the franchise far more than an irreverent one, but I'm still happy with what we've got. There aren't many dry animated shows out there that aren't super niche, but I think that Brendan Small could have made a show that felt a bit more fitting to the material. Still, I'll take fun and wacky over potentially bland and underwritten if dry wasn't pulled off well.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.reddit.com/r/startrek/comments/ikkk0t/ds9s_james_darren_vic_fontaine_is_recovering_from/

Vic Fontaine recovering from covid.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Clerks: The Animated Series but on a starship.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Powered Descent posted:

who is driving spaceship? oh my god, waterbear is driving, how can that be!

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

Powered Descent posted:

Only if Jay and Silent Bob can be Bajorans selling Jum Jum sticks.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

MikeJF posted:

Hah, I notice that's the Vancouver, and Freeman mentioned that she and the tellarite served on the Illinois years ago. So it's a running gag that all the background ships in Trek are just uncreatively named after cities, not just the California-class?

They're probably all references to the crew of the show. Mike McMahan is from Chicago, and the animation for the show is done in Vancouver.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Only if Jay and Silent Bob can be Bajorans selling Jum Jum sticks.

They need a ship and a transporter so they can randomly show up to beat the tar out of cardassians.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Powered Descent posted:

Outside on the hull. “Why are we walking like this?”

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

The second episode of the series is an homage to "Shades of Grey"

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/glaad/status/1301218466490449920?s=20

The replies are pretty lovely.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

How do you show non binary on screen?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
By having a non-binary actor portray the character and have other characters use they/them pronouns?

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

It’s been done in Billions, check it out.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Mokotow posted:

It’s been done in Billions, check it out.

Also the new She-ra

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The character Gray is an unjoined Trill, which is neat and gels with the hints we got from the earlier previews.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Snow Cone Capone posted:

The character Gray is an unjoined Trill, which is neat and gels with the hints we got from the earlier previews.

That’s not a very alien name. :/

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

That’s not a very alien name. :/

:haw:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

We've had plenty of non binary aliens tho. there was that whole planet of non binary people. in tng

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I mean in retrospect aren't the Trill an allegory for trans people?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

more like transplanted people

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

I mean in retrospect aren't the Trill an allegory for trans people?

Sure feels like it. But the great thing about societal progress is that what once had to be coded in order to be accepted by audiences can now be explicit.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

feedmyleg posted:

Sure feels like it. But the great thing about societal progress is that what once had to be coded in order to be accepted by audiences can now be explicit.

At least we got some cool aliens from it though

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I don't think the Trill are one-dimensional enough to be an allegory for anything. Kind of like how Bajor and Cardassia are an occupied place and a colonizer, you can make them into a lot of things if you squint. Good fiction with a moral message can be relevant to more than one real life circumstance.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Alright, that was EASILY my favourite LDS so far.

If we need to sacrifice the cold open to get a fun plot then transport that poo poo off the starboard bow and lock phasers and photon torpedoes!

Like I can’t come up with a single complaint. Even as annoying as Mariner was being was tempered with SOME backstory and honestly wasn’t even as bad as other episodes.

So good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
I think if the 2nd season of Lower Decks cuts out all the pointless references to previous Star Trek episodes then it will be more fun to watch.