Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Now that Bowsette is officially over, where will you be sending your horny energy?
This poll is closed.
Melinda Rust (née Megamelons) 13 5.86%
Twitch streamers 9 4.05%
VTube animes 27 12.16%
Any of the other –ette monstrosities 10 4.50%
[Lie] I don’t get horny. 54 24.32%
Other (Bowsette) 93 41.89%
Now that I'm an IK, I can make my own option 13 5.86%
David Crossup 1 0.45%
Bob PSPGodenkirk 2 0.90%
Total: 222 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I always subscribed to the reading of Dune as an allegory for OPEC- a precious resource on which all of human society depends can only be sourced from a location controlled by relatively primitive people, so the great powers of the world all fight amongst themselves for influence in the region until the region collectively realizes it can wield that influence itself. Except that Herbert apparently believed that CHOAM is the OPEC stand-in, which complicates things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

the basic outline of the plot, devoid of the details, is "a man from privilege loses that privilege and grows up amongst a marginalized people, and discovers that they're actually badass warriors who can conquer the empire effortlessly because the empire has grown too soft to defend itself"

the kicker that the previous emperor gained his empire in the same manner, just with a different marginalized people, cements it as a theme, in my mind. It's been a while, but I recall them emphasizing a direct causal link between the suffering they endure and their prowess as soldiers

I don't really remember the book well enough to push the point further if you still disagree, but that's the reading I got extremely strongly when I read the book

tbf it's a pretty common theme, a cycle of a dominant force taking over, growing stagnant, then losing to the next dominant power that is more ruthless. The empire is basically depicted as the waning days of Rome or the Mongol empire.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Something I noticed with the Dune teaser trailer announcement, is that it said the movie will be "in theaters" but not "only in theaters" which is a super important distinction that Hollywood likes to make. Possible digital release at the same time for Dune? Not likely, but I can be hopeful.

:thunk:

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Andrast posted:

They should make movies of the later dune books

I love how batshit they get

all movies should be more batshit

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Andrast posted:

They should make movies of the later dune books

I love how batshit they get

The later Frank Herbert dune books are great batshit.

The later Brian Herbert dune books are crazy batshit.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

cheetah7071 posted:

Human suffering is a good thing, actually; people who grow up in adversity are better than people who grow up in luxury and are destined to rule over them

This is EXTREMELY wrong jesus christ

This is like when people say Dune is about eugenics because of the Bene Gesserit

Like do we really have to have the extremely basic discussion that "depiction is not condoning" again and again? Those are BAD things in the book.

The themes of Dune are basically just an analysis on human organization, from religion to military power and the ways that those conflicts drive each other. The ways that limited resources can create massively imbalanced conflicts between technological levels of civilizations and also drive the economic destruction of a region to the benefit of others who don't live there. Its good stuff.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

The later Brian Herbert dune books are crazy batshit.

Those don't exist

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

It's been a while, but I recall them emphasizing a direct causal link between the suffering they endure and their prowess as soldiers

I've read the book multiple times and cannot recall a single thing remotely like this. Of course, different people can read different things into a work, but... I think that's on you.

The prowess as soldiers of the Fedaykin and Fremen are if anything DIRECTLY explained to be because they have self-discipline while the imperials are spoiled. That doesn't mean because they suffer, but because they live in balance with their ecosystem instead of just consuming everything. That seems like a perfectly good message to me?

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
They drink their own piss

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
At one point an equivalence is drawn between Salusa Secundus intentionally producing the Sardaukar and Arrakis unintentionally producing the Fremen. This is the moment Paul realizes that he could make the Fremen into an organized militia that could actually overpower the imperial forces. I don't remember the exact text well enough to judge whether it could be construed as an endorsement of this

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

SeXReX posted:

I haven't heard of a single one of these video games what consoles are they on?

GC, PS2, XBox and GBA for Batman Begins!

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

haveblue posted:

At one point an equivalence is drawn between Salusa Secundus intentionally producing the Sardaukar and Arrakis unintentionally producing the Fremen. This is the moment Paul realizes that he could make the Fremen into an organized militia that could actually overpower the imperial forces. I don't remember the exact text well enough to judge whether it could be construed as an endorsement of this

The Dune books definitely do not treat Paul's insane jihad as a good thing at least

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Weirding Way to the polls

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

cheetah7071 posted:

Human suffering is a good thing, actually; people who grow up in adversity are better than people who grow up in luxury and are destined to rule over them
In one of the later books the best emperor ever goes out of his way to make a perfect complacent society so he can then make them fall so the ensuing suffering will make a stronger human race so I think you read that right.

Zaphod42 posted:

I've read the book multiple times and cannot recall a single thing remotely like this.
At the end of the first book Paul explicitly says he's gonna make the emperor's secret soldier-making planet a paradise so his army will become worthless. Earlier in the book Thufir Hawat accurately deduces that both Arrakis and Salusa Secundus (the source of the emperor's army) are breeding grounds for the best soldiers because they're hellholes, unintentionally in the first case (although he suggests the baron to make it worse once he discovers it so he can have elite fighters) and intentionally in the second.

Chev fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Sep 2, 2020

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

oh poo poo...

tenet is a palindrome

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Come on they even do that symmetric characters thing in the trailer's end logo so you'll be sure to get it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Chev posted:

(although he suggests the baron to make it worse once he discovers it so he can have elite fighters)

He also suggests this so discontent on Arrakis will increase and loosen the baron's grip, because he's trying to be the worst mentat possible while captive

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Yes, but the theory is sound (as admitted by the emperor later) and it's also making the fremen even stronger and more fanatic.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

oh poo poo...

tenet is a palindrome

Look up Sator/Rotas Square, the movie is literally "how do I turn an ancient joke into a 2 1/2 hour film?"

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm glad people who remember Dune better than me are able to cite the scenes I've forgotten, and only been left with the vague impression they left on me

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

One of my Steam friends is playing DDO and apparently it's not only still running, but it still gets updates? A new class was released in Feburary??

This is a crazy thing to me and I am baffled.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Chev posted:

In one of the later books the best emperor ever goes out of his way to make a perfect complacent society so he can then make them fall so the ensuing suffering will make a stronger human race so I think you read that right.

That's really not what Leto's golden path was about

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
Leto's golden shower

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

SeXReX posted:

Leto's golden shower

There's so much weird sex poo poo in the later dune books that wouldn't even be noteworthy

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.
Also, uh, prowess or not, the war on Dune is ended because of the crazy technology and magic rear end bullshit that they have, not because they're god-like warriors unto themselves???

If anything the moral is whoever has the biggest guns win, and a big-rear end worm the size of the Empire State building is a pretty large gun

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Weedle posted:

who plays the worm

Christopher Walken

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Stux posted:

i got it before they showed all the inside the black hole stuff, the stuff after with him going back was just so over the top in explaining what happened just leave it, let me do it in my head. dont have to go off making everything explicit it ruins it. be subtle.

*music crescendos*

cmon stux

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Chev posted:

At the end of the first book Paul explicitly says he's gonna make the emperor's secret soldier-making planet a paradise so his army will become worthless. Earlier in the book Thufir Hawat accurately deduces that both Arrakis and Salusa Secundus (the source of the emperor's army) are breeding grounds for the best soldiers because they're hellholes, unintentionally in the first case (although he suggests the baron to make it worse once he discovers it so he can have elite fighters) and intentionally in the second.

No, that's entirely wrong. The Golden Path is to brutally suppress humanity so hard that on the suppressor's death, humanity will explode outward, along with developing tech to hide from its prescience, preventing anything from ever killing it in its entirety. The guilds and bene spend millenia trying to kill him, they're not complacent.

While doing this works, the suppressor is presented as Hitler Satan for it, because he is.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I’ll be building my new PC this weekend. What’s a good game that’s preferably not full price that will be the best way to see how good my graphics can be?

Edit: this seems to be the wrong thread lol

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Flight Simulator maybe? It's part of game pass, right? And I hear it's a graphics hog

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I heard somewhere Control is good for that

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

*music crescendos*

cmon stux

cmon what the end stuff was really bad, just eyerolling. chris "the bat" nolan yelling "do you get it" at me as i sigh heavily and say yes i get it chris

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

blue squares posted:

I’ll be building my new PC this weekend. What’s a good game that’s preferably not full price that will be the best way to see how good my graphics can be?

Edit: this seems to be the wrong thread lol

Control Ultimate Edition just came out and I think is 10% off on Steam, which is $32 in the US.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Stux posted:

cmon what the end stuff was really bad, just eyerolling. chris "the bat" nolan yelling "do you get it" at me as i sigh heavily and say yes i get it chris

*extra McConaughishly*

cmon stux

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
How much video games is too much video games? How many hours of video games do you play a day?

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I want to play a cyberpunk videogame where all technology is worse than we currently have but presented as extremely dope poo poo.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Boba Pearl posted:

How much video games is too much video games? How many hours of video games do you play a day?

it's too much videogames if it gets in the way of the parts of your life you value (or should value) more than video games

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Boba Pearl posted:

Gaming isnt a problem until you are in pain or ruining your life.
Game on

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Chev posted:

Flight Simulator maybe? It's part of game pass, right? And I hear it's a graphics hog

Yeah, correct on all counts. If you don't have game pass right now you can demo it for a month for $1 and play Flight Sim. Pretty cool.