Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

ultrachrist posted:

I have a strong hook on some Scottish rear end in a top hat's spymaster. How do I use that to my advantage? Only thing I see right now is I can ask her to join my court. I want to get her to abuse her position somehow.

If you want that Scottish rear end in a top hat dead, start a murder plot against him and call the spymaster into the plot using the strong hook you have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

So far the prestige gain from lifestyle seems like the easy winner. Combat bonuses are nice too, but prestige gain is so key and i even had to cut back my men at arms when inheriting. Unless there is some prestige gain trick i am missing.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

I came back to my chambers one night to find a man sexually defiling my silver cross. now a lot of things unfolded after that, but to give you the short of it, now he runs my army

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe
Pet cats and dogs don't have their own character screens 0/10

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Me and roboky streamed last night and the highlight was him losing the high chieftain of Iceland title to an infant and he got an event where he called the infant an idiot ratfucker and the infant drew an axe on him so he had to choose whether to back down or not

he kicked the baby and got Iceland back

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

dont particularly like the tribal challenger thing. i just randomly got a family member going "i want to be emperor" with a 0% chance of me resisting that and no other option.
and now i can't make a faction to take the empire back...?

redknob
Aug 29, 2005

canepazzo posted:

Formed Ireland, had a chance to switch to Tanistry by decision so I did. But it appears the lower titles still follow Partition. Any way of consolidating hereditary rule across all titles?

Yeah I formed Ireland, swapped to tanistry, then I died and my heir didn't keep the realm capital...? It went to another dynasty member and I got a different county's castle instead, but I'm king and the realm capital is still the same place it always was. Weird. And I can't declare war to take it back either.

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS
Why does raiding sometimes work and sometimes not? I levy an army, turn them on to raiding, then move them into a neighboring province, but nothing happens. Is the garrison too large?

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
How the hell can I tell if an upgrade to a castle finished building? I built the walls upgrade the tutorial has you do, and iirc it’s been only about 1.5 years and it sort of looks complete. I’m guessing it’ll say something noting it’s completion on the tooltip when it’s done? Was kind of hoping to check how long it had left.

also can you build multiple upgrades at once to a castle? Sort of new here.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I need to stop worrying and just go with the flow and keep my family alive

justdan
Mar 31, 2010
Can't finish the tutorial. 'Use Find Spouse, select one, then click Send Proposal'...

Except there isn't any Send Proposal button in sight...

Or am I being really dumb and missing something super obvious?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

euphronius posted:

I need to stop worrying and just go with the flow and keep my family alive

This is good advice in general for the game. There is no "winning" it, you just set goals for yourself and try to make a strong family and eventually the game ends. Yes you can conquer the known world, but that is very difficult and not really worth worry about for a long time.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Anyone know how to bump up the gamma or brightness? I feel like the game looks like slightly too dark?

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
Being Sadistic has really lead to some awesome choices. This game is loving awesome.

So long, rear end in a top hat rival.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

justdan posted:

Can't finish the tutorial. 'Use Find Spouse, select one, then click Send Proposal'...

Except there isn't any Send Proposal button in sight...

Or am I being really dumb and missing something super obvious?

Had the same problem, what you have to do is left click on the blank area between the traits and their skills, still inside the highlighted box.

Also, if anyone was wondering whether this is an authentic successors to CK2, I had just managed to engineer my genius grand-nephew to having the votes needed to become Tanist and was ready to succeed my old rear end self as High King of Ireland, and of course a few months later he is my sole named death (OR injury for that matter e; I lie, a couple of others got minor wounds it seems, but I wasn't informed) in a combat we won effortlessly. :negative:

justdan
Mar 31, 2010

Ms Adequate posted:

Had the same problem, what you have to do is left click on the blank area between the traits and their skills, still inside the highlighted box.

Thank you!

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I have a strong hook on my spouse since I know about her secret lover but I keep getting events where I try to find out if she has been sleeping around

Of course she is game, I'm actively blackmailing her about it

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Ugh gently caress off.
The heir I took control of isn't the family head. That's not really an issue in itself. But apparently npcs will happily waste your legacy picks for you.

He oh so happily took the lovely '+20% dread gain' pick. gently caress off, that's basically useless. I was intending to pick the '+30% good congenital trait inheritance & +30% chance for new good congenital traits.' one, or maybe work into the 'kin' tree.
I dunno, it really doesn't feel good that you can oh-so-easily lose control of the dynasty head, and with it any options for long term dynasty picks. Because it'll probably be a generation until I can afford the next pick, if I'm even the head then.

This is componded by this:
According to the wiki, if an ai has control over the dynasty head, they'll automatically pick the dynastic branch that has the most progress.
But if you don't have any progress yet it just seems to pick one at random(or maybe most fitting for that character.). And because it's picked that, it'll keep picking that in the future.

Yeah, it feels kind of lovely to have such a long-term impact/planning thing just be utterly arbitrary the moment heirs/heads desync.
Having an heir or character die/get murdered is just something you take in stride, but it feels really lovely to just lose control over such a big feature, especially when it's a dynasty you set up as the head of it at the start of the game.
There are 7 goddamn branches and the ai just happily picked the one I care the least about, and will keep doing so until I regain control.

Has anyone tried setting up a cadet branch? Supposedly the dynasty head title is supposed to go to whichever house head is the strongest, whenever the old one dies.
Does this mean that if I set up a cadet branch I'll be able to regain control when the old one dies, provided my character is stronger?

e: it really loving sucks to go like 40-ish years to get a perk, then have the ai just waste it, because your control/heirs don't align with the dynasty ones.

e2: I created a cadet branch and then like a week or two later suddenly I'm the head of the dynasty, despite nothing really changing?
Why do I suddenly rocket to being dynasty head, but only -after- creating a cadet branch?

SubNat fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Sep 2, 2020

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Question: in CK2, a county with enough prosperity could trigger an event that would allow you to add another barony to it. In CK3 there's both a limit for baronies and building slots, depending on the county. Does development have any effect on this? Has anyone been able to add building slots of baronies to a county? Thought it was cool how in CK2, with effort, you could change the course of history by turning a dead hunk of rock into Venice or Constantinople. I'm trying to do just that with the Faroe Islands and though I've gotten it to a development of 22, I haven't yet seen anything from it beyond the increase to taxes...

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

DurosKlav posted:

Look border gore is great and all,

:mods:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
If I form a soulmate bond with another ruler who is married I can't elope with them? Do I really gotta murder their spouse?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Dorkopotamis posted:

Question: in CK2, a county with enough prosperity could trigger an event that would allow you to add another barony to it. In CK3 there's both a limit for baronies and building slots, depending on the county. Does development have any effect on this? Has anyone been able to add building slots of baronies to a county? Thought it was cool how in CK2, with effort, you could change the course of history by turning a dead hunk of rock into Venice or Constantinople. I'm trying to do just that with the Faroe Islands and though I've gotten it to a development of 22, I haven't yet seen anything from it beyond the increase to taxes...

some counties have open spots to build baronies in, at least in 867, but I'm not aware of the possibility to add entirely new slots

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
So my new Archbishop seduced the Welsh princess I'd married off to my grandson, but I liked him and he liked me and he was really good at fabricating claims so I didn't want to roll the dice on whichever moron the Pope would appoint next, so I let him be - unfortunately, said grandson, while clever enough to realise he was being cucked by a bishop and angry enough to try and kill said bishop in revenge, wasn't good enough not to get caught.

Fast forward a decade or two, grandson inherits the kingdom plus an unsalvageably angry Archbishop who then comes to me in an event with "incontrovertible evidence that our marriage is consanguineous" - so my options are to divorce the wife (who is still sleeping with the Archbishop) or owe the Archbishop (who again, hates the gently caress out of new-me) a favour for covering said evidence up.

Ya know what, fair play, you're welcome to her.

GOTY all years etc.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Ok so I'm an irish. I attack a neighboring irish who was at war with sweden.

I won, but that brought in sweden as my enemy.

I called all my allies so we outnumbered the Swedes, but my allies sorta wandered around ireland while the swedes sieged down my capital and I lost the war.

Is there any way to direct your allies to do anything at all? They just didn't bother fighting and even crossed into Scotland for no reason.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I know a lot of people still have questions about functions in the game so I'm doing a tutorial stream as the starter Irish colony, if anyone has questions.

https://www.twitch.tv/cuddlecryptid

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
How do I get dynasty head back after a partition/civil war? the "head" is a count and my vassal(I'm a duchess). Do I have to murder him? Is it stuck there because of gender laws?

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal
I'm puzzled by the approval numbers.

1) In my liege's council all the councillors except me have approval stats at the bottom of their council portraits. The tooltip for those numbers does not match it at all. (The stats are the same as those given on their character sheets for their opinion of their liege, and the tooltip there does match.)

2) I still can't find a way to see people's opinions of anyone but me or their liege.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Ok so I'm an irish. I attack a neighboring irish who was at war with sweden.

I won, but that brought in sweden as my enemy.

I called all my allies so we outnumbered the Swedes, but my allies sorta wandered around ireland while the swedes sieged down my capital and I lost the war.

Is there any way to direct your allies to do anything at all? They just didn't bother fighting and even crossed into Scotland for no reason.

I've seen this problem a few times crop up on here, I had a few allies I called in that worked good?

Are you calling in allies by clicking the warscore banner and selecting the +allies left of center?

Also, they may outnumber the enemy but troop quality, composition, and terrain plays a bigger roll here than CK2, I learned this trying to attack the welsh while they were camping on a mountain with half the number of my troops, but better quality

Willfrey fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Sep 3, 2020

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Asehujiko posted:

How do I get dynasty head back after a partition/civil war? the "head" is a count and my vassal(I'm a duchess). Do I have to murder him? Is it stuck there because of gender laws?

Do you have the decision to make a cadet branch?
I did so and like a week or two later the dynasty head position ceded to me, though I don't entirely understand -why-.
I guess just whomever is the strongest house-head at any time becomes dynasty head, so even though they're your vassal you have to set up a cadet branch to be eligible to take over the reigns as dynasty head.

It's not at all straightforward, and having to set up a cadet branch to take control of the main one feels very roundabout.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Zedhe Khoja posted:

Go into game and do character search for female rulers and sort by rank. In 867 there's seven:
Nelnesla, a duke in Tibet
Anava, Pemka, and Yalgava are finnic pagans
Sarica is a Bashkir Tengrist
Daurama is the Hausa chieftess of Kano
and Audr is the christian chieftess of Vestisland in Iceland

In 1066 there's a bunch so I'm not gonna list em.

daurama gets a hardcoded early event where you can switch to male succession or do the right thing and stay a matriarchy

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

TotalHell posted:

I swear to god I enabled Ironman before starting my current game in order to get achievements. Played for a couple hours, didn’t see anything pop up, went and checked after my save and Ironman is off. What the gently caress.

Figured this out, and it turns out I am indeed a moron!

For anyone else who might experience this: my mistake was selecting Ironman BEFORE I chose “Play any character in 867/1066.” Choosing that resets everything. So if you want to play Ironman as a non-suggested character, pick the “Play as any character” option first, THEN mess with your game settings.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Cool, got a game over because I got holy war'd and even though I was fairly certain I could win, the allied AI fed all their units into the enemy army piecemeal until they ran the score up to 100% before I was able to intervene.

Said enemy army was also a coalition of 5+ factions but they didn't have the same problem.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

The child of the countess and her what?!

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

CuddleCryptid posted:

I know a lot of people still have questions about functions in the game so I'm doing a tutorial stream as the starter Irish colony, if anyone has questions.

https://www.twitch.tv/cuddlecryptid

I can’t watch now but if you save it as a VOD I’ll check it out later on

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

BIG HAIRY SCOTTISH

BASTARRRRRDDDSSSSSSSS

I swear to Irish Christ I'm going to have this entire lineage killed and I don't care that it's in the same dynastic tree as me

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

I'm not sure what just happened, exactly, but it rules thematically:

I started a game as the Count of Kärnten, under the Duchy of Bavaria, in East Francia. It seems that the Bavarian duke ignited a civil war over the Bavarian Kingdom title, dragging me into his fight against Ludwig. We managed to field an equal army and got lucky on a river crossing, kicking the poo poo out of the East Francians.

Then...suddenly, there was border gore, and I was fighting the Bavarians. It seems the Bavarian duke died and while his heir continued the war, somehow his other son - a three year old Pepin - settled on the loyalists, ripping me out of Bavaria's side of the war and suddenly putting me on the losing, defensive footing. My 800ish troops don't stand a chance against the Bavarian army, but they're busy eating Ludwig's land so I just gently caress off back home to Kärnten.

I start looking at my new liege. I'm sadistic as poo poo and my Intrigue score is nuts, so I set up a murder scheme (mainly just to experiment with the Scheme system) and a year later Pepin is being taken through the woods in a carriage and gets ripped apart by "wild animals." With no heirs of his own, all of his lands - including his vassals - all go to... his brother, the duke of Bavaria.

I return to Bavarian service, having accidentally reintegrated the rest of southern East Francia into Bavaria without a fight and leaving Ludwig in such a weak state that Rurik just invaded the northern shore. To cap it all off, as soon as I returned to the Bavarian duke he appointed me Spymaster.

Game rules.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Sep 3, 2020

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

I think the final few months of my first ruler's life contain the purest spite I've ever felt towards an adversary in a video game.

So, I've assembled the jarldom (duchy) of the Northern Isles, and since the de jure kingdom of Sweden hasn't been created, I swear fealty to the king of Alba. Lucky me, it turns out I had married off my daughter to his firstborn son years before, so we had a (relatively) secure alliance going.

A few months later, the king of Alba dies, and his son (my son-in-law) is the new king. The new king makes me his steward and he even wants to be my pen pal. Sweet!

My ruler has a diplomacy focus (despite being a shy drunkard) and eventually I take the perk that lets you plot to claim your king's throne. Taking the "gently caress around, find out" approach to game play, I attempt the plot to see what happens. I even get the queen, my daughter, to help out, using my dynasty hook. While the king eventually finds out about the plot, he doesn't know that I'm involved, although he can probably guess. Regardless, the plot succeeds, and now I have a pressed claim on the Kingdom of Alba. The king hates my guts but can't really do anything about it since we're allies.

This is where everything starts to fall apart for me, the poor old jarl.

First, my spymaster finds a secret that the king, my son-in-law, husband to my lovely daughter, is having an affair with a courtier.

That fucker.

Then, two of my four sons (but luckily not my heir) die in a war that I was only in because of my alliance with the king.

That fucker.

A few months later, my daughter dies under mysterious circumstances, and that sonuvabitch king immediately arranges his betrothal to some 13-year-old.

That fucker!

Between grieving for my murdered daughter and for my wife of forty years who just died of the bubonic plague, I decide I'm going to kill that bastard no matter what. I'm helped by the fact that his vassals and his court like me more than they like him. I recruit everyone in his court who will even consider joining the plot, going massively into debt in the process.

The plot gets about 80% of the way to success, is about four months from finishing... and then I die of the plague too. I spend my last days secluded in a tower, drinking heavily, dying from the bubonic plague, squandering my family's resources to try and get some measure of justice for my dead daughter, and falling just short of the finish line.

To the last I grapple with thee; from hell’s heart I stab at thee; for hate’s sake I spit my last breath at thee!

10/10, GOTY, etc. Also, remember to review your champions/knights every once in a while!

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Here's another new player question as I learn more about this... I'm trying to understand how dynasty interacts with me the player. Assume you have a powerful lord out in the world with an unmarried heir son. I marry my daughter to him and negotiate matrilineal succession (via a hook probably). Then they have a son. Is my grandchild now the heir to this county? What does this even mean for me?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Asehujiko posted:

It's weird that you lost it in the first place since it's supposed to go to the primary heir, which is also who you should be playing after succession. That might be a bug?

Anyway if you lose house head the only way to get it back is to merge your lines of primary inheritance back together somehow, but it's probably faster and easier to just create your own house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Well going from Tribal to Feudal is punishing.