Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Space Gopher posted:

In a city full of notoriously awful drivers, on a road that required you to accelerate hard to safely join traffic, your car had enough power to get up to speed and merge. But, because you had to actually use all the power that's available and push the pedal to the floor, it's "underpowered?"

It is OK to push the gas pedal all the way down and "literally floor it" if you need to get up to speed quickly. It is OK for the tachometer to go near the red line, as long as the engine is warm. It is OK for your engine to make loud noises when you are asking it to deliver power. It is OK to make decisive inputs, especially now that ABS, traction control, and stability control are nearly universal.

no it is important that I have access to hundreds of horsepower that I literally never use

powderific posted:

I've noticed some newer cars seem to be accounting for people not wanting to push the pedal to the floor in their drive by wire tuning. Our 2015 Mazda3 felt really zippy if you only got lightly on the gas, but if you continued to push the pedal to the floor you discover that it was basically floored already. I also remember the WRX has its throttle mapped so the ECU is requesting 90% engine power at like 10% pedal position.

lol wtf

Though given some of the accidents we've seen over the past few years, 100% pedal application should probably be remapped to "brakes actually"

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Aug 31, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

throttle mapping is hosed these days because Americans are bitchmade and complain about cars being underpowered when they apply 20% throttle

Yuuuuup. I loving hated the "default" mapping in my CR-V. "Eco" mode was basically a normal throttle map and even then there really wasn't much fine control past about 50-60%.

My diesel Canyon actually seems to be sensibly mapped. All you really need to account for is turbo lag when going from an absolute standstill.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Fortunately the Nazis love gadgets and weird controls so the "Sport" mapping on the Golf is pretty linear, versus regular mode which is for stupid Americans.

zhel
Aug 2, 2010

Hey everyone, we are looking to buy our oldest kiddo their first car.

- Proposed Budget <15k
- New or Used Used
- Body Style Compact / hatchback
- How will you be using the car? Commuting to/from school and work
- What aspects are most important to you? safety, reliability, Carplay or nav
- We are in the US

We were originally thinking about something like an used Mazda3 hatch or ElantraGT hatch. We like the flexibility for carrying stuff (their younger sister plays lacrosse). But all that stuff fits in a trunk easily too and they wouldn't have to carry it often really. So we aren't married to the hatchback idea.

We do want something newer with good safety ratings/equipment and would like Carplay at a minimum so they can navigate hands free. So probably something 2016 or newer. At least that is our thinking.

I've seen some really low prices on stuff like Chevy Sparks but I just don't know enough about cars on this end of the spectrum. Basically are there any major brands/models we should avoid?

Thanks!

e: while we were looking at something <15k, cheaper is better. We know this car is gonna get beat up some!

zhel fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Sep 1, 2020

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I have a few more years before my oldest starts driving, but maybe consider a small CUV instead of a smaller compact sedan/hatchback? Maybe it's just because I'm in Texas and the local high school parking lot is full of 1/2 and 3/4 ton pickup trucks, but I just feel safer as a Dad with my kid in something a little larger. (Yes I know that just made half of AI insane and this opinion is not grounded in any logical thought).

Personally I'm targeting a RAV4 or CR-V for my daughters first car. I haven't researched safety ratings yet, but from a cost of ownership and reliability standpoint those are my 2 standouts. My goal is to get her a car at 16 that will last until she turns 22 and finishes college. The downside is you're probably looking at 2014 or 2015 models at the latest to fit that budget and they will not have carplay. The CR-V didn't get CarPlay until 2017MY and only on the EX trim or higher which is way out of budget right now.

If CarPlay is a deal breaker consider these CUV alternatives that can be had around 15K in my area

Ford Escape, a 2018 or 2019 should come close to budget (I'm a known Ford homer and this would probably be my choice in your shoes. I'm not aware of any major issues with the car)
Hyundai Kona or Tuscon
Buick Encore

Avoid:
Nissan Rogue
Mitsubishi Outlander

Now you might be saying to yourself, "Skip, look dumbass I said compact sedan/hatchback not CUV" ok ok...

You can get a really great value in a lightly used midsize sedan right now. My area has a ton of Ford Fusions, Kia Optima and similar around 15K depending on year and mileage.

"Dude, you're still not listening"

Ok compact sedans

Toyota Corolla is the gold standard in this segment of course. Fuzzy on when they first got CarPlay though. Carguru searches show some 2017's having it, but I would verify.
I had an Elantra rental about a year ago for work, and it wasn't a terrible vehicle and I was impressed with the safety features for being a car with a sticker in the 22K area.
Kia Forte is it's cousin
I have mixed feelings about the VW Jetta. Not sure if they hold up better these days or not. Maybe someone more familiar with VW can chime in. My sister has owned 3 Jettas and won't drive anything else, but she things the german electronics having issues is part of the charm of the car...
I have a neutral opinion of the Chevy Cruze, don't know enough about it to have an opinion.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

zhel posted:

- Proposed Budget <15k
- New or Used Used
- We are in the US

We were originally thinking about something like an used Mazda3 hatch or ElantraGT hatch. We like the flexibility for carrying stuff (their younger sister plays lacrosse). But all that stuff fits in a trunk easily too and they wouldn't have to carry it often really. So we aren't married to the hatchback idea.

We do want something newer with good safety ratings/equipment and would like Carplay at a minimum so they can navigate hands free. So probably something 2016 or newer. At least that is our thinking.

I've seen some really low prices on stuff like Chevy Sparks but I just don't know enough about cars on this end of the spectrum. Basically are there any major brands/models we should avoid?

Thanks!

e: while we were looking at something <15k, cheaper is better. We know this car is gonna get beat up some!

The Elantra GT or Kia Soul/Rio whatever will get you the most newest features for the least money in a pretty good package. If you shop around the private sale market, you could get something a little bit scruffy that would save money, but knowing 16 year olds that just means they're more likely to beat on it. Make sure you get Carplay rather than factory nav, factory nav requires updates that cost some money and it also is just kind of poo poo and tired looking. Hyundai sold like 20 Elantra sedans for every Elantra GT they sold, so don't restrict yourself to a hatch since it's pretty much the same car. It looks like you can get a 2018 Elantra within your budget, although be a bit careful since not all trims of the sedan came with CarPlay. If you do buy a sedan, make sure the poo poo that gets carried will actually fit in the trunk reasonably.

CUVs still tend to command a premium. Small sedans are cheap. Don't buy a Spark. If you must buy domestic, the Cruze is a good value buy.

zhel
Aug 2, 2010

We're not completely ruling out CUVs but they tend to be pricier for the same features. They have been learning in a Mercedes GLA and they are wanting something lower to the ground. We haven't taken them out to drive anything else yet so that opinion could change. Their high school parking lot has a ton of open spaces and not a ton of lifted trucks thankfully. That's something I hadn't really thought I'd though so thanks for that.

I was looking at the Cruze today and it seemed comparable to the Elantra. I think we'll start with those and let them drive some and see what they think. We're closing on a house next week so we have a month or so before we'll really be wanting to get this done. Plenty of time to shop around.

Thanks for the replies!

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

what are your guys thoughts on buying CPO? legit money savings option, or major scam?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

CPO is nothing but a bolted on extended warranty from the manufacturer rolled into the cost of the car. It’s basically a marketing thing.

You can buy a car without CPO and add on an extended warranty from the manufacturer and get the same thing.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

It is hard to buy an OEM extended warranty on a non CPO used car, so your second statement is not really true. You can definitely buy a lovely third party warranty from the dealer, though! Do not do this.

for a CPO you are paying a premium for a (usually pretty robust high quality) extended warranty. The manufacturer expects to make money on this process, so in aggregate warranty claims covered have to be less than the premium charged for a CPO car. If you’re highly risk averse, it can make sense, but in general it is not a winning financial proposition.

People get jacked up because they compare CPO cars to new cars and think there is tremendous cost savings. You should be comparing to the same car, non-CPO, on the used market.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

zhel posted:

- Proposed Budget <15k
- New or Used Used
- We are in the US

Thanks!

Stay away from the Elantra GT they have garbage motors I was going to buy one until I did some research. A Mazda3 hatch or sedan is your best bet imo, or if you want a hatch with a lot of cargo space a Kia Soul or Scion xB.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Theta is the most problematic Hyundai engine, and the Elantra GT did not have the Theta engine. There are some complaints with fifth gen cars and the early Nu engines, but if you buy post-2015 (which should be easy in your budget) you will be just fine.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Stay away from the Elantra GT they have garbage motors I was going to buy one until I did some research. A Mazda3 hatch or sedan is your best bet imo, or if you want a hatch with a lot of cargo space a Kia Soul or Scion xB.

Honda Fit.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

^^^^ That too forgot about the Fit

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Theta is the most problematic Hyundai engine, and the Elantra GT did not have the Theta engine. There are some complaints with fifth gen cars and the early Nu engines, but if you buy post-2015 (which should be easy in your budget) you will be just fine.

It's just not worth it given their track record, especially when you can just get a Toyota, Mazda or Honda there's no point buying a used out of warranty Hyundai imo.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

they're perfectly reliable for the most part and they are significantly less expensive for more features

that is why people buy them. you may not prioritize in the same way, but the Elantra is not a bad purchase.

edit: for instance one of the requirements is carplay. toyota started offering carplay in 2019 on the corolla.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Sep 2, 2020

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

It's not necessarily bad depending what year/model you get, my opinion is just that a Hyundai out of warranty isn't worth the risk when there are plenty of other (and better imo) cars to choose from in the same segment.

[e] can't you add carplay to some older vehicles through the aftermarket? I know I could with my car.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Sep 2, 2020

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I glanced the crutchfield catalog, and there are Android auto or Apple CarPlay units for under $400. I don't think it's smart to buy a car with an upgraded trim level and four years newer just for that feature alone.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
With many newer cars changing the head unit is not the easy swapping out of a harness and plopping in a trim piece it used to be.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

But even if you couldn't swap out the actual head units, aren't there ways of "jail breaking" some infotainment systems and just uploading carplay?

Thought I've heard about that kind of thing but i could be wrong

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Maybe for cars that have it added to existing hardware/software, like my fiesta’s sync 3, but I think that’s rare. Love to be proven generally wrong though if you have experience doing it.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

powderific posted:

With many newer cars changing the head unit is not the easy swapping out of a harness and plopping in a trim piece it used to be.
If that's different from car to car, just research. Should probably get a result within seconds. Aftermarket is very resilient, and even cars with oddly shaped dashboards have been accommodated from the looks of things. You just have to get a kit that includes new plastics and whatnot.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
They're not cheap, but while I cannot put in a (standard) aftermarket radio into my BMW, I can get either a custom Android unit (ugh) or an intermediate adapter that interfaces with the stock unit to override the screen with Android Auto/CarPlay. I'm betting there's something out there, especially if it's a unit used on multiple and/or higher end models.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I had priced out installing a sync HU with a screen and whatnot in the truck but the $25 Alexa Auto is doing everything I need it to so I scrapped that plan for now.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Nitrox posted:

If that's different from car to car, just research. Should probably get a result within seconds. Aftermarket is very resilient, and even cars with oddly shaped dashboards have been accommodated from the looks of things. You just have to get a kit that includes new plastics and whatnot.

Yeah in the Hot Hatch thread in AI people were getting aftermarket kits for the Ford Focus which is horribly shaped dashboard, it didn't look the greatest, but OEM doesn't look great either and the kit gets the job done.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

But even if you couldn't swap out the actual head units, aren't there ways of "jail breaking" some infotainment systems and just uploading carplay?

Thought I've heard about that kind of thing but i could be wrong

That depends a lot on the hardware involved, but generally speaking, it’s only an option on pretty recent models where the manufacturer has implemented CarPlay/Android Auto somewhere in their lineup and reused some components. Infotainment head units aren’t general purpose computers running a standard OS, and without some level of hardware support it’s just not going to happen.

For a real-world example of how “integrate modern electronics into an old car” can go, I helped my brother put a CarPlay head unit into his mid-00s G35, which had an integrated audio/climate control system but not even an aux input. The third party dash kits all had a bunch of fit and finish complaints (especially important given that it’s replacing all the climate controls) but we managed to source a mad tyte JDM Skyline part that gave him standalone factory climate controls and a double DIN pocket.

The whole project was about a thousand bucks in parts (including the head unit, trim pieces that added up to a big chunk of the center console, adapters to the factory amp/speaker setup and steering wheel controls, and miscellaneous bits like a USB port for the dash) and maybe eight hours of semi-experienced labor that would have been quicker but add several hundred bucks to the price tag at a shop. The work involved some soldering and a tiny bit of drilling, so while it wasn’t an experts-only affair, it was also something a lot of inexperienced people might nope out on.

Overall, helping him out with the work was a great Christmas present and a fun project, but it wasn’t an easy drop-in installation, and most people who don’t actively enjoy working on cars would probably not want to do it.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it might be easy depending on the car and I am aware of dash kits, lol. Easy enough on some cars, but it is not at all straightforward for others. It's especially an issue when there are HVAC or other controls built into a factory nav/infotainment system. Maybe it's not an issue for anything the OP is looking at and is more of a thing with the dumb mid-2000s luxury cars I'm driving.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Space Gopher posted:

Overall, helping him out with the work was a great Christmas present and a fun project, but it wasn’t an easy drop-in installation, and most people who don’t actively enjoy working on cars would probably not want to do it.

This sums it up really well. The era of DIN-standard head units and easy swappability is long gone.

Can it be done? Yes, probably.

Is it easy? No.

Is it cheap? No.

Are most normal folks better off just buying the newer/higher trim level with factory integration for a couple Gs more? Yes.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Uthor posted:

They're not cheap, but while I cannot put in a (standard) aftermarket radio into my BMW, I can get either a custom Android unit (ugh) or an intermediate adapter that interfaces with the stock unit to override the screen with Android Auto/CarPlay. I'm betting there's something out there, especially if it's a unit used on multiple and/or higher end models.
What's wrong with the android units? I assume you have a car with iDrive. I put an AVIN in my E92 and while it's far from flawless I love it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

imo the person buying their sixteen year old daughter a car should buy the newest safest thing they can afford that includes carplay standard

or we could make it really complicated and stupid, we could do that too

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

What's wrong with the android units? I assume you have a car with iDrive. I put an AVIN in my E92 and while it's far from flawless I love it.

I haven't looked into them much, and maybe it's different now, but I have reservations of sticking something running Android that's already two or three versions behind and that's meant to run for a decade. I have an image of them just being redone tablet interfaces, but maybe that's just cheap head units that are all over Amazon and eBay.

I'm not in a position to be putting hundreds of dollars into my car at the moment and I kinda really like iDrive anyway, but I'll keep it in mind for the future and stop making GBS threads up this thread.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

imo the person buying their sixteen year old daughter a car should buy the newest safest thing they can afford that includes carplay standard

Yes but have you considered that a Spec Miata prepped NB is street legal*, has a double DIN dash-hole that can accept a CarPlay head unit, and can easily maneuver out of any unsafe situations?

Space Gopher fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Sep 2, 2020

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

One thing to note is that you can disable text message notifications in CarPlay, which may be a good idea depending on how distractible your teen might be.

Tbh while nav would’ve been nice I’m kind of glad texting was barely around when I started driving, and push notifications were nonexistent.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Oh, for those of you who might be interested, my dad settled on a Genesis G80, which I think was a recommendation that came from this thread. We're shopping around Autotrader/Carmax/Carvana/Vroom for one right now. Thanks for the advice!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Carplay could just be a simple loadable app to any car's infotainment computer but it's not because of whatever dumb reason. :shrug:

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

For Android headunits, it actually is!

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

zhel posted:

We're not completely ruling out CUVs but they tend to be pricier for the same features. They have been learning in a Mercedes GLA and they are wanting something lower to the ground. We haven't taken them out to drive anything else yet so that opinion could change. Their high school parking lot has a ton of open spaces and not a ton of lifted trucks thankfully. That's something I hadn't really thought I'd though so thanks for that.

I was looking at the Cruze today and it seemed comparable to the Elantra. I think we'll start with those and let them drive some and see what they think. We're closing on a house next week so we have a month or so before we'll really be wanting to get this done. Plenty of time to shop around.

Thanks for the replies!

After you've bought the car and your kid has a little experience behind the wheel, enroll them in a defensive driving course designed for new drivers such as Tire Rack Street Survival. It will teach them the skills they need to avoid accidents and drive with confidence.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Carplay could just be a simple loadable app to any car's infotainment computer but it's not because of whatever dumb reason. :shrug:

Mazda does this. They'll install carplay or android auto on basically everything with a screen from like 2013 on. They apparently do need to install some hardware, but it isn't that expensive.
This has caused Mazda to be my go to rec for cheap cars with AA/carplay.
Also, mazdas are great at everything except rust resistance if you buy an NA one.

zhel
Aug 2, 2010

sharkytm posted:

Honda Fit.

Thanks! We haven't looked around at these yet but options are always good.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

This is our thought as well. We can find a relatively new car with updated safety features in our budget. No real reason to jump through a bunch of hoops.

Godzilla07 posted:

After you've bought the car and your kid has a little experience behind the wheel, enroll them in a defensive driving course designed for new drivers such as Tire Rack Street Survival. It will teach them the skills they need to avoid accidents and drive with confidence.

This is a good idea, thanks. They are getting a skid control class as a part of their training course as well.

Thank you all again for the input.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
The Fit is the perfect starter car. Small but tons of room, fun to drive but not remotely fast, great fuel mileage, cheap parts, and good resale. My wife and I both still have ours, both '07s. Hers has 197k, mine has 98k. We've put minimal money into them for 14 years. Swaybar endlinks, an exhaust on her car, spark plugs, couple ignition coils, couple sets of brakes and tires...

A defensive driving class is a great idea and I think all kids should do one.

And AA/CP shouldn't be a requirement. Sure, it helps integrate the phone into the car, but it still means your kid will be taking their eyes off the road to gently caress with the screen. It's a terrible habit, one that I'm guilty of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

sharkytm posted:

And AA/CP shouldn't be a requirement. Sure, it helps integrate the phone into the car, but it still means your kid will be taking their eyes off the road to gently caress with the screen. It's a terrible habit, one that I'm guilty of.

The kid will be taking their eyes off the road to gently caress with a screen. Sixteen year old children will literally value texting their friends over a risk to their life or anyone else's. Middle aged children will do the same thing and be even more petulant about it. The car-focused UIs will make it slightly safer.