Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

The X-man cometh posted:

Undergrads are significantly stupider than professors and researchers and prone to much riskier behavior. Champaign is hosed.

*Checks post and photo history from time in undergrad*

Yup, checks out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

dwarf74 posted:

I'm less worried about UofI given how they developed their own state of the art test and everything.

Then again it may make students feel more invincible and be seen as a green light for giant parties so who knows.

I'm reminded of the bit from Arrested Development:
"Well, did it work for those people?"
"No, it never does. I mean, these people somehow delude themselves into thinking it might, but... but it might work for us."

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

I think it could go either way, honestly. Apparently the cops, UI Champaign and Urbana police, were all running around all weekend breaking up gatherings and 'educating' people on the emergency orders instead of issuing citations. This coming weekend they're planning on dropping the hammer, I'm betting.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
In other news, I think now is as good a time as any to refresh the fact that this idiot and coward has, as far as I can tell, never returned to update his deeply stupid series on how much better Florida was doing compared to Illinois:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/opin...v634-story.html

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Exelon is shutting down the Byron and Dresden nuclear plants. This bums me out.

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20200827005445/en/Exelon-Generation-Retire-Illinois%E2%80%99-Byron-Dresden-Nuclear

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

quote:

Despite being among the most efficient and reliable units in the nation’s nuclear fleet, Dresden and Byron face revenue shortfalls in the hundreds of millions of dollars because of declining energy prices and market rules that allow fossil fuel plants to underbid clean resources in the PJM capacity auction, even though there is broad public support for sustaining and expanding clean energy resources to address the climate crisis. The plants’ economic challenges are further exacerbated by a recent FERC ruling that undermines longstanding state clean energy programs and gives an additional competitive advantage to polluting energy sources in the auction. As a result of these market rules, Exelon Generation’s LaSalle and Braidwood nuclear stations in Illinois, each of which house two nuclear units and together employ more than 1,500 skilled workers, are also at high risk for premature closure.

I loving hate this country

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

twice burned ice posted:

Its a power move to force Pritzker to fund them or relax accountability as part of his clean energy initiative he announced last week.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

instead a new natural gas plant is being built up in Grundy, just gonna turbocharge global warming as much as possible because number must go UP

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

gently caress, this is really stupid. Illinois itself probably doesn’t have the money they’re looking for, but we gotta find some way to keep them running when the alternative is fossil fuels.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Turns out I'm moving to Illinois from Texas soon. For those of you experienced with IL voter registration: is there any documentary requirement to prove the 30-day residency requirement in order to vote?

I should be officially moved by October 1st but I'm not sure how long it will take to get my the documents to prove residency for my driver's license and I definitely want to vote in one state or the other this year.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
I think you don't need a driver's license, just a utility bill or lease to prove residency.

You can do same day registration on election day if it takes that long to get proof of residency.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Not suggesting anything one way or the other, but at least on the Presidential level your vote might be better-spent in Texas.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

FBS posted:

Turns out I'm moving to Illinois from Texas soon. For those of you experienced with IL voter registration: is there any documentary requirement to prove the 30-day residency requirement in order to vote?

I should be officially moved by October 1st but I'm not sure how long it will take to get my the documents to prove residency for my driver's license and I definitely want to vote in one state or the other this year.

When you sign up to vote the document goes to the secretary of state and they cross reference it against your proof of residence documents. If there's a mismatch there, then they'll bust you for voter fraud, you don't have to bring anything to a polling station. And in fact, every time I have dumbly attempted to show external identification of any kind the poll workers have panicked and assured me that they're not allowed to look at it.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

FBS posted:

Welcome! I moved here from Texas last year.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

twice burned ice posted:

From what I have heard (I haven’t looked into this myself), the PJM market had a rule change recently. The fossil generation was whining that they couldn’t compete with all the subsidies that renewables was getting. So the rule change made it so that any subsidies the generation gets factors into the market bid price. Somehow this really cuts into the market rate for power that Dresden gets.

Because of this I have also heard that without some sort of law change, Dresden was going to have to shut down. That part is not a bluff to get more subsidies. It’s the oldest nuclear units in Illinois without subsidies (Quad Cities and Clinton got subsidies a few years ago). Not sure if they will really shut down Byron.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Give coal subsidies, but then also charge them for all the externalities, instantly bankrupting every one of them

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
I read somewhere that American coal plants use such low-quality coal that they emit as much radiation as nuclear plants. Does anyone know if that's true?

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

The X-man cometh posted:

I read somewhere that American coal plants use such low-quality coal that they emit as much radiation as nuclear plants. Does anyone know if that's true?

I’ve read the same https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/coal-ash-is-more-radioactive-than-nuclear-waste/

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

It's false, because nuclear plants shouldn't emit/release any radiation! Now, because they're all old and run by private companies, you do sometimes get things like the tritium leak at Vermont Yankee. But by and large, the radiation emissions are near zero.

But coal plants dump much more radiation into the air, along with a bunch of heavy metals and of course CO2.

e: nukes generate nuclear waste of course, but that is contained and not emitted into the environment.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Is there any polling on approval for the Fair Tax?

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Got a phone call yesterday urging me to vote no on the middle class tax hike that gives more money to Mike Madigan and his cronies. I imagine that won't be the last phone call I receive.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

I'm voting yes solely to give more money to Mike Madigan

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Why would they call it a “fair tax”? At least I initially thought (having not heard about it until just now) it was to impose a flat tax or something because that’s something a libertarian would call it.

Big Black Dick
Mar 20, 2009

There really isn't a good naming option that isn't going to get bogged down in political bullshit, but the proposed change is fair specifically because it would no longer be regressive.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000

Eeyo posted:

Why would they call it a “fair tax”?

Because progressive taxation is fair.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Eeyo posted:

Why would they call it a “fair tax”? At least I initially thought (having not heard about it until just now) it was to impose a flat tax or something because that’s something a libertarian would call it.

The tax is currently flat and required to be so by the Illinois constitution. The new referendum would allow them to make it progressive.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Whenever I get called I just ask them if the flat tax is so great why have I spent my entire life hearing about how the state is broke.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I think I'm just mixing up the FairTax act (proposed 30% tax on goods and services plus abolition of the IRS) from 10 years ago or whatever it was.

I know progressive taxes are more fair since rich people can afford higher tax rates, I guess calling it "progressive" just scares too many people so they've got to call it the freedom tax or whatever.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

Eeyo posted:

I think I'm just mixing up the FairTax act (proposed 30% tax on goods and services plus abolition of the IRS) from 10 years ago or whatever it was.

I know progressive taxes are more fair since rich people can afford higher tax rates, I guess calling it "progressive" just scares too many people so they've got to call it the freedom tax or whatever.

I have the exact same problem, it's not just you. The GOP has broken how names work for these things. A bill could be put forward called "Reparations for Slavery Act" and I would assume that it was actually a bill to forgive all tax obligations for all billionaires or something.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Eeyo posted:

Yeah the "fair tax" used to be a libertarian thing back in the aughts, maybe that branding is sufficiently dead for most people.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Republicans doing an annoyingly good job of poisoning words is why I refer to it as graduated tax rates instead of progressive.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Yea, the first time I saw fair tax I figured it was some flat tax proposal, until I realized it was for a progressive tax.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I have seen signs saying “Say no to the progressive tax hike and blank checks for politicians”.

Pretty prominent here in South/Central Illinois.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

fishing with the fam posted:

Republicans doing an annoyingly good job of poisoning words is why I refer to it as graduated tax rates instead of progressive.

Stealing this for the future, thanks!

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I have seen signs saying “Say no to the progressive tax hike and blank checks for politicians”.

Pretty prominent here in South/Central Illinois.

I'm glad I don't go outside anymore.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Source4Leko posted:

Whenever I get called I just ask them if the flat tax is so great why have I spent my entire life hearing about how the state is broke.

:yeah:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Hope yall got lots of toilet paper because it feels to me like poo poo is about to blow up, universities are a goddamn petri dish and it's only a matter of time before they're forced to close down.

(wife works at one, the documented exposures are cranking up and it's taken the school a week to decide to ask exposed people to stay home)

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
lol, McLean county (called Bloomington IL in the chart) cracked the NYT's top ten Covid19 outbreaks.

Bloomington's extremely strong response is "shutting down the one bar shuttle between isu and downtown bloomington." I wish I was kidding. Normal passed a few more things but has to date enforced nothing.

With Labor Day happening this weekend we're hosed.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Yeah next weekend they’ll start shutting down because it’ll be too late to get refunds on housing.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

dwarf74 posted:

lol, McLean county (called Bloomington IL in the chart) cracked the NYT's top ten Covid19 outbreaks.

Bloomington's extremely strong response is "shutting down the one bar shuttle between isu and downtown bloomington." I wish I was kidding. Normal passed a few more things but has to date enforced nothing.

With Labor Day happening this weekend we're hosed.

Oh God, are they going to try and have corn fest in Normal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Forrest on Fire posted:

Oh God, are they going to try and have corn fest in Normal?
Fortunately, this was cancelled a few months ago.

https://week.com/2020/06/26/normal-cancels-this-years-corn-festival-due-to-pandemic/

Oracle posted:

Yeah next weekend they'll start shutting down because it'll be too late to get refunds on housing.
Yeah that's the general consensus down here, too. The irony, of course, is that most of the cases are off-campus.

It does look like U of I is going to soon be where we are - apparently (and I wish I was making this up), they used a model made by two physicists that predicted no more than 100 cases on-campus at any one time. This model failed to account for factors like 'students live together' and 'students go to parties.' Don't get me wrong, Champaign is still doing better than Bloomington/Normal, but still.