Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
This is shameless self promotion but I'm having a poo poo week and need the dizzying buzz that only twitter likes can bring :v:
https://twitter.com/wizardcubes/status/1301281284254240768?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It gave me a good laugh so I appreciate it.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

A story to bring a little cheer, I hope? A couple of weeks ago my young friend (who reminds me what it was to feel alive) asked for advice over a letter from her landlord saying that, alas, he needs to increase the rent to cover his bills and strongly suggesting that if they can’t afford it they should end the tenancy early and find somewhere else to live. I don’t actually think he can do that, but he’s got a strong history of heavily suggesting things and then using “well I never said you’ve got to” as a defence. He says he has other people ready to move in at a higher rate but he has two other flats standing empty in her building so it’s fairly obvious he’s bluffing. As it turns out, my wife and I were able to give my friend and her partner a small gift/loan to top up their deposit and they got approved for a mortgage yesterday! So they’re moving into her parents before the end of this month, should be in their own place by Christmas, and today get to tell their landlord that they accept his proposal, and will be ending the tenancy early just as he’s suggested. My request of “just let me be the one to tell him” was unfortunately denied by both my friend and my wife.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

goddamnedtwisto posted:

And so this post, which lasted longer than the Blitz itself, finally ends.

Genuinely one of the best posts I've ever read on this site, thanks for this.

I've been on a tour of the Clapham South deep level shelter too - it was an extremely cool trip underground.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Sanford posted:

As it turns out, my wife and I were able to give my friend and her partner a small gift/loan to top up their deposit

Are you all on the same page as to which it is? People can get incredibly funny about money when it comes time to pay it back (assuming that's what you've agreed).

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

kecske posted:

Are you all on the same page as to which it is? People can get incredibly funny about money when it comes time to pay it back (assuming that's what you've agreed).

Never felt older than when I wrote the letter saying it was fully a gift and we had no intention of seeking repayment, copying the letter my dad wrote when we got a mortgage thanks to a similar gift from him. We’ve told them it’s a gift and if they pay any of it back (as they absolutely insist they will) we’ll consider that a gift too.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

I've gone past most of these loads of times and wondered what they were, never put together that they're all connected. Especially the Abbot Datastore one, I've spent years wondering why there would apparently be an art deco datacentre on Haverstock Hill.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
https://twitter.com/KayBurley/status/1301406437458038784?s=19

The original tweet included the line "so the government admits Tony Abbot is a homophobe and misogynist it just doesn't care".

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

@goddamnedtwisto outstanding post/work.

The Clapham South one - the door on the side of the round shaft under the flats leads down to the shelter via one of the big old spiral staircases, which is fun to descend but a right bastard to slog back up after 50 minutes or so of touring the place. We met the tour guide by the station entrance, then got led round the corner to it, and I was all 'this is some secret spy poo poo going on'. The tour did mention those places are great for hydroponics too, as well as the 18 months it had taken them to sort out all the asbestos down there.

On the Kingsway/High Holborn one, wasn't that for sale a couple of years ago? I remember a few articles about it that I can't find now along the lines 'hey for £6 million how about owning your own luxury wartime shelter in Central London?'
Ah, https://londonist.com/2016/05/london-s-secret-bunkers says BT put it up for sale in 2008.

Got the chance to do the Brunel tunnel walkthrough between Rotherhithe/Wapping too a few years back, made all the funnier that we had Peter Hendy with us doing an impromptu talk on its history that even the TFL guide boredly reading off a laminated sheet shut up and let him take the reins. I have photos of that somewhere too.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Sanford posted:

A story to bring a little cheer, I hope? A couple of weeks ago my young friend (who reminds me what it was to feel alive) asked for advice over a letter from her landlord saying that, alas, he needs to increase the rent to cover his bills and strongly suggesting that if they can’t afford it they should end the tenancy early and find somewhere else to live. I don’t actually think he can do that, but he’s got a strong history of heavily suggesting things and then using “well I never said you’ve got to” as a defence. He says he has other people ready to move in at a higher rate but he has two other flats standing empty in her building so it’s fairly obvious he’s bluffing. As it turns out, my wife and I were able to give my friend and her partner a small gift/loan to top up their deposit and they got approved for a mortgage yesterday! So they’re moving into her parents before the end of this month, should be in their own place by Christmas, and today get to tell their landlord that they accept his proposal, and will be ending the tenancy early just as he’s suggested. My request of “just let me be the one to tell him” was unfortunately denied by both my friend and my wife.

:unsmigghh:

Delicious.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Lungboy posted:

https://twitter.com/KayBurley/status/1301406437458038784?s=19

The original tweet included the line "so the government admits Tony Abbot is a homophobe and misogynist it just doesn't care".

He's also not an expert on trade or diplomacy.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/helloalegria/status/1301290315593191426?s=20

Genuinely reads like they set out to make the idea of returning to the office sound as awful as humanly possible

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It reads like a passage from American Psycho.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

peanut- posted:

Genuinely reads like they set out to make the idea of returning to the office sound as awful as humanly possible

I'd rather choose an extra 4-800 pounds and 40 hours of my time a month. (I assuming it's meant to be in a trainspotting style)

In our work, the teams that are partially having to be in the office have started letting the office based people work shorter hours because they kicked off about commuting times

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
How long before we have polygraph tests as part of job centre meetings

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Goldskull posted:

@goddamnedtwisto outstanding post/work.

The Clapham South one - the door on the side of the round shaft under the flats leads down to the shelter via one of the big old spiral staircases, which is fun to descend but a right bastard to slog back up after 50 minutes or so of touring the place. We met the tour guide by the station entrance, then got led round the corner to it, and I was all 'this is some secret spy poo poo going on'. The tour did mention those places are great for hydroponics too, as well as the 18 months it had taken them to sort out all the asbestos down there.

On the Kingsway/High Holborn one, wasn't that for sale a couple of years ago? I remember a few articles about it that I can't find now along the lines 'hey for £6 million how about owning your own luxury wartime shelter in Central London?'
Ah, https://londonist.com/2016/05/london-s-secret-bunkers says BT put it up for sale in 2008.

Got the chance to do the Brunel tunnel walkthrough between Rotherhithe/Wapping too a few years back, made all the funnier that we had Peter Hendy with us doing an impromptu talk on its history that even the TFL guide boredly reading off a laminated sheet shut up and let him take the reins. I have photos of that somewhere too.

Kingsway has been up for sale a couple of times - Claranet got as far as negotiations with TfL for use of the Chancery Lane entrance in 2005, because without a second exit there's no way to get a fire safety certificate. The basic problem with using the station exit is even if you *can* get around TfL's security restrictions for having access to one of their stations you'd need to pay them to keep the station manned 24/7 otherwise your fire exit just leads to a locked station.

Clara also enquired about potentially running a new shaft from their HQ on Kingsway itself to the exchange, only a hundred yards or so away, and apparently everyone went "NO YOU'RE NOT ALLOWED TO DIG THAT WAY NO REASON AT ALL AM I TALKING TOO LOUD?". It's possible that they misinterpreted the normal reaction to trying to dig under London but the impression they got was that there were very specific reasons they couldn't do that.

Ultimately between restoring access and dealing with the asbestos you're looking at something like 25 million quid just to get it to fit-for-human-habitation levels, kitting out a data centre down there with all the additional cooling and power requirements would be the same amount again, meaning you'd be paying out something like the budget for Telehouse West for less than a tenth of the floor space. Any kind of conversion will run into the same kind of problems - that CHAP station was probably the most practical use for it but even then the fire exit was an open question they never resolved in the outline planning application.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

stev posted:

Patrick Bateman might be a homophobe, a misogynist, and a chainsaw murderer, but he's also an expert on mergers and acquisitions.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

stev posted:

I'm genuinely disturbed by the idea that somewhere a group of people were tasked with coming up with the best things about working in an office, and those were what they hit on as the things they really love.

peanut- fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Sep 3, 2020

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Guavanaut posted:

Patrick Bateman might be a homophobe, a misogynist, and a chainsaw murderer, but he's also an expert on mergers and acquisitions.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Also they clearly ran out of ideas from CCing onwards as that's all stuff that happens working from home too.

Rather belittling to read if you're a receptionist as well.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Doctor Spaceman posted:

He's also not an expert on trade or diplomacy.

According to Hancock simply being PM endows him with ultimate level trade negotiation skills, same as Blair becoming Middle East Saviour.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Tarnop posted:

Had my PIP tribunal today. The judge correctly identified that the DWP had made contradictory decisions by awarding me zero points for everything in my PIP assessment and then, 2 months later, putting me in the highest support category for universal credit. The DWP did not address this decision in their package of evidence for the tribunal.

So, presumably, this should mean that, as well as re-evaluating my application on its own merits, the statements from the DWP should be considered by the judge in light of their contradictory decision making. Right? Nope.

The DWP "have to be given chance to submit new evidence" and my hearing that I've waited 16 months for gets adjourned after 3 minutes, putting me to the back of the queue for tribunal hearings and sentencing me to another year+ of poverty. Working absolutely as intended.

Sorry about having to come into contact with our dogshit welfare system. Have you gotten in touch with any welfare rights teams? If you're a member of a housing association then they should be able to get you in touch with a team to help you. Sometimes the DWP will back off just at the sight of a welfare rights team getting near a case.

I remember when I had to help represent a guy with learning difficulties, epilepsy and injuries stemming from a crossbow attack. First they interviewed him alone and assessed him as fit for work because he did well in school (they left off it was Primary school he was talking about), then he got in touch with me who got him in touch with the Welfare rights team, we built up a case and went in with numbers and they backed off immediately after a quick interview with us. They're weasels seeing what they can get away with.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

peanut- posted:

lol gone at "The Boss's Jokes" they have no idea they're hated.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

peanut- posted:

I'm genuinely disturbed by the idea that somewhere a group of people were tasked with coming up with all the things the best things about working in an office, and those were what they hit on as the things they really love.

There's an enormous section of the workforce who's job is basically pointless and as they mostly do gently caress all those really are the things they go to the office for.
Their job is not stressful their lives are dull and they probably have a deck to show you.

They are the middle made flesh.
A great big army of centrists.

The reason we can't have nice things.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Lungboy posted:

According to Hancock simply being PM endows him with ultimate level trade negotiation skills, same as Blair becoming Middle East Saviour.

His foreign affairs record is mixed. On the one hand his government negotiated a few trade deals, on the other hand he threatened to "shirtfront" (shoulder-charge) Putin.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Gosh, I'd sure like to return to the office, but that new 3070 is looking awful tempting, and it isn't going to pay for itself.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Ah, the experience I miss most about my office job - leaving early for an afternoon in the sun. Dossing off and going outside is truly the one thing work from home has made impossible.

e: I guess the joke is that with no commute you get to finish early every day now

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

big scary monsters posted:

Ah, the experience I miss most about my office job - leaving early for an afternoon in the sun. Dossing off and going outside is truly the one thing work from home has made impossible.

e: I guess the joke is that with no commute you get to finish early every day now

Yes but at home you can only doss off in the sun with your family and friends. At work you can enjoy some quality time in the pub with your *checks notes* boss and receptionist.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Quality stuff.

:cheers:

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/mmtowns/status/1301449590881824769

Detol are doing a better job advocating against work than 90% of this thread.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

DickEmery posted:

There's an enormous section of the workforce who's job is basically pointless and as they mostly do gently caress all those really are the things they go to the office for.
Their job is not stressful their lives are dull and they probably have a deck to show you.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

peanut- posted:

I had a visceral reaction to this, imagine looking forward to hearing buzzwords. That tells you everything you need to know about the wankers who wrote this.

E:

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://twitter.com/mmtowns/status/1301449590881824769

Detol are doing a better job advocating against work than 90% of this thread.
ah yes, an hour to yourself in the blissful peace and quiet of a cattle truck filled with coughing racists.

How much do these people hate their families that this kind of servile obesciance is their idea of heaven?

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Sep 3, 2020

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
asdurs £1 bottle of antiseptic is just as good imo i put a capful in my towels and pants wash

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

https://twitter.com/SzMarsupial/status/1301445880365674497?s=19

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Proper bants.

Of course, this might be the whole point, being terrible enough that a whole bunch of worker drones pass it around to laugh at.

We're being had, pull up!

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Next up - assuming I don’t get nicked while taking the photos
I walked the Thames Path with my wife and then two-year-old son a few years ago. Took a photo of the MI6 building in Vauxhall just to go "Look, it's where James Bond works!" Thirty seconds later, we were stopped by two armed coppers "for a chat".

Meanwhile, you can go into Google Maps' 3D mode and see the whole exterior in high-definition from all angles. But no, stopping random tourists with small children for taking pictures of a building that has appeared in numerous Bond films is the way to maintain security. :rolleyes:

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

peanut- posted:

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

DickEmery posted:

We should do away with the absolutely specious notion that everybody has to earn a living. It is a fact today that one in ten thousand of us can make a technological breakthrough capable of supporting all the rest. The youth of today are absolutely right in recognising this nonsense of earning a living. We keep inventing jobs because of this false idea that everybody has to be employed at some kind of drudgery because, according to Malthusian Darwinian theory he must justify his right to exist. So we have inspectors of inspectors and people making instruments for inspectors to inspect inspectors. The true business of people should be to go back to school and think about whatever it was they were thinking about before somebody came along and told them they had to earn a living.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Honestly feel comforted realising it's an ad for Dettol selling their cleaning and not a company that actually cares about making anyone want to go back to the office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Cool to see that accidentally replying all and mixing up CC and BCC is a hilarious office jape and not something that would get me immediately fired