Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How mad are you going to get when I call your favorite Pokemon unviable?
5: I will set the entire cloud ablaze with the heat of my rage!!!
4: I will be quite rankled, and will have no problem telling you as much!
3: I'll be a little upset, and might debate you on it.
2: Disappointed, but I know my faves are bad.
1: I don't know gently caress about poo poo.
View Results

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

An excellent birthday present to see this LP back!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Oh hey, my third favorite dead Pokemon Let's Play is updating again! How about that.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Can't you just store excess items in your PC? I know that it's an easy feature to forget, but it's an option, to my knowledge.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

EclecticTastes posted:

Can't you just store excess items in your PC? I know that it's an easy feature to forget, but it's an option, to my knowledge.

There's a limit to how many items you can store, which is what PMush is hitting due to not using enough TMs or Vitamins or whatever.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Omnicrom posted:

Oh hey, my third favorite dead Pokemon Let's Play is updating again! How about that.
I love that there's so many that we can form lists. :allears:

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

The Golux posted:

There's a limit to how many items you can store, which is what PMush is hitting due to not using enough TMs or Vitamins or whatever.

Oh, yeah, just realized his second screenshot there was from the PC. I didn't realize it was possible to have enough items to fill both your inventory and PC. Hell, I never even maxed out my bag, but I figure hoarding all those TMs instead of wasting them all on random Pokemon (which is exactly what I did back when I played gen 1 as a child) might make a difference.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
Glad to see this back! Still love to see my childhood impressions of mons confirmed or (usually) dismantled.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Why do you call Weezing's defenses less than stellar. 65/120/85 feels better than most pokemon. Is the HP that debilitating?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

EclecticTastes posted:

Oh, yeah, just realized his second screenshot there was from the PC. I didn't realize it was possible to have enough items to fill both your inventory and PC. Hell, I never even maxed out my bag, but I figure hoarding all those TMs instead of wasting them all on random Pokemon (which is exactly what I did back when I played gen 1 as a child) might make a difference.

I would always need to shuffle things around sometime around the rocket game corner.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Skip the boring dungeon? Who wouldn't?

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I kind of like Pokemon Mansion. It's not as long or labyrinthine as the others and I kind of liked the switch mechanic and that part of the dungeon where you have to leap off the map to the lower level.

And walking through a burnt out mansion/lab is always novel. I enjoy it more than the rocket hideout or some of the caves.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

rannum posted:

Why do you call Weezing's defenses less than stellar. 65/120/85 feels better than most pokemon. Is the HP that debilitating?
“Less than stellar” is definitely a bit too strong a phrasing, thinking about it again. “Only ‘pretty good’” might be better.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
Glad to see this back. And just in time for a Stadium segment too.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

PMush Perfect posted:

“Less than stellar” is definitely a bit too strong a phrasing, thinking about it again. “Only ‘pretty good’” might be better.

I definitely kind of thought that was weird since Weezing is considered a pretty bulky mon in the Gen III+ meta. Of course that was after it got Levitate and Bug/Fighting moves got a lot more common while Psychic usage fell off a cliff

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Zore posted:

I definitely kind of thought that was weird since Weezing is considered a pretty bulky mon in the Gen III+ meta. Of course that was after it got Levitate and Bug/Fighting moves got a lot more common while Psychic usage fell off a cliff
Yeah, I'll fix that. The lack of good Normal moves still keeps it out of a 3, but credit where it's due, it is bulky.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

rannum posted:

I kind of like Pokemon Mansion. It's not as long or labyrinthine as the others and I kind of liked the switch mechanic and that part of the dungeon where you have to leap off the map to the lower level.

And walking through a burnt out mansion/lab is always novel. I enjoy it more than the rocket hideout or some of the caves.

It’s definitely one of the more unique dungeons in the series, future games leaned way hard into mountains/Team hideouts.

Random_Username
Jan 1, 2013
Great LP, stadium 1 is unironically my favorite Pokémon game since winning with the rentals gave me my real first glimpse at strategy (...and RNG).

Even as a kid, I didn’t have cuddly/underpowered favorite Pokémon. My favorite was Mewtwo. Yeah, I was that kid. However I did have favorite garbage move, and that was Metronome.

Oh metronome...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHYcdgq3Hao
It flew up high!

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:

Random_Username posted:

It flew up high!

My favorite animation of fly is Diglett. "I must go, my planet needs me."

Sardonyx
Oct 17, 2012
You can store extra items in pokemon stadium via oak's laboratory.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Random_Username posted:

Great LP, stadium 1 is unironically my favorite Pokémon game since winning with the rentals gave me my real first glimpse at strategy (...and RNG).

Even as a kid, I didn’t have cuddly/underpowered favorite Pokémon. My favorite was Mewtwo. Yeah, I was that kid. However I did have favorite garbage move, and that was Metronome.

Oh metronome...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHYcdgq3Hao
It flew up high!

I love in later gens when it rolls legendary signature moves.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Pokemon Center 5: Woah, This Pokemon Looks Wrong!

Playing through this game has been a process for me. It's been almost a year since I've started this LP, and with six badges and dozens of hours of gameplay behind me, I've started to have some changes of opinion, compared to when I started. Before I began, I evaluated every Pokemon from a purely intellectual level, without any play experience to back it up. (Yes, this challenge run is "blind," so to speak, fight me.) As I've gotten further along, I've found more and more of my initial thoughts weren't quite on the mark, but I could just correct them while writing the updates. I've strayed from my spreadsheet with all my initial thoughts, sometimes drastically, but that's fine, no one else is ever going to see that.

...except there's still a legacy of those early thoughts: The first couple of updates. Some of the evaluations I'm still happy with (the starter ones being brief is suitable for being the very first in the LP, for example, and there's nothing else to be said about Beedrill), but there are others that were too short, no longer match up with my current feelings, or both. I hadn't even implemented .5s yet when I wrote most of these, and that's definitely part of my oversight. So, rather than retcon and have almost nobody actually notice, I thought I might as well squeeze a proper update out of those changes. (This also means I don't need to go back to the end of every single goddamn update and change their placements on the Viability chart.)

Over a couple updates, we'll be covering the entries I find most egregiously 'wrong' for what the LP is now. First, ones where my evaluation wasn't just poor quality, but actually inaccurate to my feelings now: Parasect and Wigglytuff.

Pikachu
Viability: 4/5 3.5/5
I think I was a bit too kind to Pikachu. A terrible thing to say, I know, but oof. First, the good. Pikachu is the only usable Electric-type through the first third of the game, as well as the fastest and most reliable source of paralysis without using the valuable Thunder Wave TM. If you want to bring an Electric to Misty's gym, Pikachu wins by default. But, as a Raichu? Hm. I already covered it in detail in comparison to Jolteon, so I won't go into it too much here, but it starts to lack in comparison. Especially since I finally did my research and discovered that yes, Surfing Pikachu would, in fact, be cheating, as only the Pokemon Stadium version of Surfing Pikachu actually has your own Trainer ID. This means that Raichu has literally no special coverage. Electric, Normal, and Submission are its only options, leaving its options as a mixed sweeper extremely lacking.

All that said, Electric is a very rare type, and Raichu is best one you can get more than one of in Blue, so I can't rate it too low. It's just not really 4/5 material.

Jigglypuff
Viability: 1/5 1.5/5
Wigglytuff is a worse Clefable. That much is still true. Tuff is worse in every stat except HP, which is undermined by its poor Defense and Special, and Attack, which is tied. It even has the same inaccurate sleep move, Sing, at effectively the same level. Wigglytuff does, however, have a slight, slight advantage over Clefable: Double-Edge, Body Slam, Disable, and Rest all by level-up. It is theoretically possible for a Wigglytuff, via a combination of either Singing or Body Slam paralysis, Flash spam, lucky Disabling, and Resting, to stall out another slow, defensive Pokemon that doesn't have the offensive presence to threaten a 3HKO. This isn't a long list, mostly involving other 2/5 to 3/5 Pokemon, but it is, in fact, a niche. Technically. One that Clefable can't claim to have.

There are other Pokemon who could probably do the job better in general, while also having actual offensive presence (Hypno, Slowbro, and Venomoth, just to name a few), but none of them can check all of the boxes that Wigglytuff can without using TMs. And, slow and unreliable as it is, Wigglytuff is still a (kind of) bulky Pokemon with a Sleep move and not many weaknesses... So, uh, good job, Wigglytuff! You have a unique role! Technically!

Paras
Viability: 1/5 1.5/5
Hoo boy, Parasect. 95/80 offenses and 60/80/80 defenses seem alright, and it's got a signature move, the 100% accuracy sleep move, Spore, as well as access to Slash, to do something alright with that 95 Attack. Unfortunately, just about everything else is stacked against it. First, it doesn't evolve until level 24, at which point, Bellsprout, who can be reached just on the other side of Mount Moon, will be a Weepinbell, if not a Victreebel. So, there's some stiff competition. And those 'alright' offenses and 'eh' defenses are held back by having an even worse typing than Grass/Poison. Being Grass/Bug and without access to Razor Leaf, Parasect is dependent on either the Mega Drain or Solar Beam TMs to have any kind of STAB attack worth using, and even that's debatable. That typing is even worse defensively than offensively, with three double-weaknesses (Flying, Fire, and, in Gen I, Poison), as well as weaknesses to Rock and Ice. And with its 30 Speed, it will be outsped and whomped even by the very Rock-types that Grass Pokemon are supposed to deal with, no coverage moves required.

Sleep is extremely powerful in Gen 1, and in this game's 3v3 format, putting one of your opponent's Pokemon down for a nap can end up causing an absolutely huge swing in the momentum of the fight. However, by the same token, using a Pokemon that can be OHKOed without getting anything done can create an equally big swing in momentum. Parasect has a game plan, I'll give it that, but even Spore can't make up for everything else holding it back.

...hey, I said my previous thoughts were inaccurate, I never said I thought they were good.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Sep 7, 2020

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Cinnabar is the first Gym where I'm actually going to really consider which team to bring, and I might start using some TMs. There may be another small update where I go over not only some of our current superstars, but also which permanent resources I've used up.

Godna
Feb 4, 2013
We are excited to see what you've done.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Route 22: An Abrupt Pokemon Change

Okay, I lied. After some consideration, there's a few things I need to do before I take on Stadium's version of Cinnabar. It's the first gym where I'd call every opponent legitimately dangerous, using teams of fully-evolved Pokemon. The game's getting serious, finally. About time for me to get serious, too, don't you think?

First, we're depositing some Pokemon, and withdrawing some items. Some of these are temporary benchings, but TUBE, whose back we've been riding on since Misty, is finally going into a very well-earned retirement. It's time for a new generation of Water-types to pick up the torch, then slam dunk it with Surf.

Next, we do some shopping. Lots and lots of shopping. (I actually have to Shenanigans myself some more money twice, though this also includes stocking up on regular items.) Then, some off-screen running around later, and we have three new friends! They're all in serious need of moves and training, but I did just get a whole bunch, didn't I?

Our new team members! Two of them need little introduction, but there's one that might be surprising, considering I gave it a 2/5 way back when. That rating is still true, I still stand by it being generally subpar, but this is a situation similar to Shrewball, way back in Vermillion. Thanks to the very specific teams and gimmicks of a couple of the upcoming opponents, Haunter is actually the best-suited Pokemon to fill a very specific niche. We'll get there when we get there.

The only TM used on GAIFGI (which stood for something, but I no longer remember what), is a Substitute from the Game Corner. Inconvenient, but unlimited. Everything else she'll be using will be naturally learned.

Next, DOCTOR GUN, who I worked much too hard on getting to not use. In addition to also getting Substitute, as well as Hyper Beam, we will be using two very high value TMs on the good DOCTOR: Body Slam and Blizzard. Body Slam is rightfully going to the strongest Normal-type attacker that can't already learn it, and Blizzard is, surprisingly, the ideal coverage move for Tauros. Thanks to their sky-high Defense but extremely poor Special, Tauros, even with a special of only 70, can guarantee a 2HKO on Rhydon and Golem.

Earthquake is also a much more high-value TM than Blizzard; there are some Pokemon reliant on the former in order to have a decent STAB move (cough cough NIDOKING cough), but most Ice-types at least learn something like Aurora Beam, and we've still got the Ice Beam TM sitting around, too. So, it works out for multiple reasons.

And, finally, RAVESTAR. Those of you who remember ZIGGY from my last attempt at a Stadium LP will have some idea of the terror I am about to unleash. Surf from the HM is going to be more reliable than Hydro Pump, and Psychic is going on because if I'm going all the way with Starmie, I'm going all the loving way with Starmie. We also need one more TM. One we don't have yet! And it's going to be a bit of a trek to fix that.

Both because I don't want to pull out DUX and for the extra grinding, we'll be going backwards through Rock Tunnel to get to where we need to be. I also don't want to grab something with Flash, so I'll be doing it with the help of a map blind. No big deal.

A lot of this happens, as RAVESTAR obliterates everything with either Psychic or Surf. Even just as a Staryu, it's got a pretty decent 70 Special. More than enough to get past these nerds.

A bit of surfing, and we're finally where we need to be. I didn't plan on coming here until after Blaine, but there's something we need, so I might as well get it all done at once.

Aside from being populated exclusively by Electric-type Pokemon, the Power Plant's gimmick is that some items are actually Voltorbs and Electrodes, ready to Self-Destruct or Explode all over your Pokemon. Unfortunately for them, BIGGER BEN both wrecks their poo poo and resists Normal, so they're rarely more than a nuisance even if they do blow up.

Our goal is achieved, and RAVESTAR has every move it doesn't learn naturally. I might have preferred Thunderbolt if we'd held onto it, but Thunder is powerful enough to put a serious dent in other bulky Water-types who might weather its assaults and strike back. It's also the best option for not getting walled by fellow Water/Psychic Slowbro.

Along with some wild Pikachu and Raichu (please do not catch a wild Raichu, it learns gently caress-all worth using), we've also got one new Pokemon line, and we'd be getting another if we were playing Red instead of Blue.

Magnemite
Viability: 2.5/5
I feel bad for Magneton. It's got a fantastic Special, 120, and a pretty decent 95 Defense. Even its 70 Speed is kind of workable. Unfortunately, any chance of it getting used runs into two major problems. First is that unlike most Electric Pokemon we could be using by this point, it won't ever learn any Electric move stronger than Thunder Shock. It doesn't even learn Thunder Wave until almost 40. Remember Thunder Wave? That move that TATERS had in time for Brock? Yeah. Level 38. Not really any coverage or utility moves to speak of, either. Well, there's Supersonic, if you want some budget parafusion, but there's much better options for that.

The second problem is that there are other Pokemon in this same building that outclass it entirely.

And the first one is...

Electabuzz
Viability: 3.5/5
Exclusive to Pokemon Red, Electabuzz is mostly a sidegrade to Raichu, being slightly faster and very slightly bulkier physically in exchange for lower offenses. In the moveset department, Raichu comes out slightly ahead, with Pikachu learning Thunder at about the same time that Electabuzz learns the unique but unexciting ThunderPunch. It still learns Thunder, just not until the low-50s, which is disappointing. Still, if you want an Electric mixed attacker, and you're getting frustrated by Thunder's 70% accuracy, you could do worse than Electabuzz. I mean, I can't, I'm playing Blue, but you theoretically could.

Now, how about the real reason to fully explore the Power Plant?

Zapdos
Viability: 5/5
Zapdos is the Pokemon that makes every other Electric-type look like a chump. Immunity to Ground comes at the cost of weaknesses to Rock and Ice, but Zapdos doesn't really need to fear the stray coverage move. This is because of Zapdos's deceptively high 90/85/125 defenses. Add that to 90 Attack, 125 Special, and 100 Speed, and you've got a Pokemon with great stats across the board.

So what does its movelist look like? In short: Pretty dang good. The only one of the legendary birds to learn a usable Flying-type attack, Zapdos rocks the naturally-learned combination of Drill Peck, Thunder, and Agility. The lack of coverage, and the only other natural move being the unusably-late Light Screen, doesn't really even matter, and that fourth slot can be used for a decently powerful Take Down or Hyper Beam, a disruptive Thunder Wave, or even a cheeky Mimic or Rest.

Zapdos is unquestionably one of the two best Electric-types in RBY, rivaled only by the faster and frailer Jolteon. Neither is strictly better or worse, they've both got pros and cons, and they're both fantastic and completely capable of wrecking all kinds of poo poo.

Now that we've got everything worth grabbing, it's time to get that last move, and our team will be ready for Shenanigans training.

It doesn't take long.

But this update sure did! Both for the curious, and for my own reference, let's check in on the permanent resources we've used up, shall we? (Only the worthwhile ones, though, I don't care about not having Bubblebeam any more.)

Pokemon
Venusaur / Charizard / Blastoise
Hitmonlee / Hitmonchan
Vaporeon / Jolteon / Flareon
Kabutops / Omastar

TMs
Blizzard - DOCTOR GUN (Tauros)
Body Slam - DOCTOR GUN (Tauros)
Dig - BIGGER BEN (Rhydon)
Double-Edge - EDWARD (Kabutops, off-screen)
Psychic - RAVESTAR (Starmie)
Rock Slide - BIGGER BEN (Rhydon)
Swords Dance - EDWARD (Kabutops, off-screen)
Thunder - RAVESTAR (Starmie)
Thunderbolt - TONIC (Jolteon)

Other
Probably some other poo poo that doesn't matter.

That's a lot more than we'd used at the start of the update, but hopefully it'll all pay off. God, I hope it pays off.

Next Time on Multi-Track Battling: The kid gloves are off.

Complete Available Roster
5.0:
4.5:
4.0:
3.5:
3.0:
2.5:
2.0:
1.5:
1.0:
Other:

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Feb 14, 2021

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Also, I just realized I never added Farfetch'd to the list. Fixing it now, finally.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Stadium's Cinnabar Gym has the best nicknames and nothing shall convince me otherwise :colbert:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

"Haunter's fun, I don't know why I rated it so low!"

spends eight turns trying to hit with Hypnosis and get something to stay asleep long enough to use Dream Eater

"Oh. Right."

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
God I love using Starmie. Just...*chef's kiss*

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I forgot how charming Zapdos' sprite was here

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Starmie is one of the best pokemon in the entire series. It wasn't until Sun and Moon that Starmie finally fell from OU into UU.

Over 20 years of being competitively viable. What a beast.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

Starmie is one of the best pokemon in the entire series. It wasn't until Sun and Moon that Starmie finally fell from OU into UU.

Over 20 years of being competitively viable. What a beast.

I honestly feel like they gave it Psychic typing as a secondary so that it would have SOMETHING more to hit it with (even if that was all of one move in generation 1). A beast that quick and that strong that can sweep teams more often than not needs a vulnerability somewhere after all, and electric moves are rare outside of electric types.

And if you didn't throw your Gameboy against the wall when you were fighting Misty's you're a goddamn liar

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Uh, no, I had Wartortle.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
Does the Psychic type actually help or harm Starmie, assuming that it retains all its moves, even Recover? I guess Recover is good reason on why it has Psychic type, but if I recall psychic isn't really a good defensive type, and most Starmies don't run Psychic.

Eeepies fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Sep 12, 2020

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
In Gen 1 its basically irrelevant, the only moves that are super effective against Psychic are Lick, Pin Missile and Twineedle IIRC. Lick is pathetically weak, and Twinneedle is exclusive to Beedrill, who is useless. Jolteon gets Pin Missile, but it also gets STAB electric attacks, so why would it bother when you could just use Thunderbolt.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I honestly feel like they gave it Psychic typing as a secondary so that it would have SOMETHING more to hit it with (even if that was all of one move in generation 1). A beast that quick and that strong that can sweep teams more often than not needs a vulnerability somewhere after all, and electric moves are rare outside of electric types.

And if you didn't throw your Gameboy against the wall when you were fighting Misty's you're a goddamn liar

Nope. I had an Ivysaur.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I had a charmeleon, but also a bunch of other pokemon. Sorry you were a scrub while fighting Misty.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I was very bent on using my starter (though I picked up a Diglett for Lt. Surge), so I wiped to Misty, continued playing the game, and came back to her with a Charizard who promptly oneshot everything with Slash. :v:

Of course, having Charizard and Dugtrio as my only leveled mons meant that first run ended on Lorelei.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Even though Starmie is a monster there's a reason they gave it Tackle and Water Gun so it has a chance of not annihilating you with Bubblebeam. And it having a Psychic move would've been absurd. Still there's a reason Oddish and Bellsprout are found right next door.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Just went to double check and wow. Magneton has one of the most dire learnsets I've ever seen, even for Gen 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
And without steel typing or good abilities, poor Magneton must founder for some time to come.