Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

This arc is getting a bit long in tooth yes, but I don't think the series as a whole has yet crossed the event horizon of being Irreparably Bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I feel like the nadir was the joint training arc and it has been really good ever since then. I feel like the breaks we've had have made this feel like it's taking too long.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Shinso's new voice changer is pretty cool. I wonder if there's such a thing as a hero that negotiates in hostage situations, because Shinso would be really great at that.

Lt. Lizard posted:

Um, kinda opposite? At least for me.

MHA sucked from the Overhaul arc to the beginning of My Villain Academia. There were some strong parts like the School Festival and Endeavor, but overall it was pretty drat bad. From My Villain Academia to recent chapters the series has been consistently great.

:yeah:

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Sep 2, 2020

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

TheKingslayer posted:

At this point I think the My Villain Academia chapters will mark where this series started to suck.

The bad guys suddenly became tough from being jobbers and it felt as lame as when it happens in pro wrestling. Now they're just killing everyone.

MHA sucked from the Overhaul arc to the beginning of My Villain Academia. There were some strong parts like the School Festival and Endeavor, but overall it was pretty drat bad. From My Villain Academia to recent chapters the series has been consistently great.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Lt. Lizard posted:

So long as we accept the School Festival was excellent (which you do point out), I can agree with this. MVA was the moment the series went back to having very good long arcs, instead of terrible long arcs with good short arcs in the middle.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Honestly the series as a whole became much better the minute the kids went out of focus

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
i would like this arc a lot more if I didn't have to read each chapter, then read it again after reading the thread so I can actually understand what I'm looking at

like this part should all be really cool I think! the villain just got the powerup that's been teased for the entire series, eraser is indeed a badass, and multiple characters I like are in danger! but it's hard to get really invested when I can't see what the hell is going on lol

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Horikoshi is a fantastic artist with a rare genius for great character designs and incredibly gorgeous still art, but he's absolutely not good at composing and drawing clear, concise action sequences with an obvious flow.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Kanos posted:

Horikoshi is a fantastic artist with a rare genius for great character designs and incredibly gorgeous still art, but he's absolutely not good at composing and drawing clear, concise action sequences with an obvious flow.
He's way, way too fond of the "Okay this big white column surrounded by speedlines/blur represents something going very fast" thing while also obscuring all environmental details.

So you see like half a character, a directional column of white, speedlines and essentially background scribbles

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

At least the anime cleans up where Hori messed up. Deku vs Overhaul, Lemillion vs Overhaul (before the slideshow stills), and Endeavor vs High End were all visually fantastic

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I never really get a good sense of the flow of the action. Like, what moves are being made and how decisions are being countered. Whenever something new happens it just always feels jarring.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Carlosologist posted:

At least the anime cleans up where Hori messed up. Deku vs Overhaul, Lemillion vs Overhaul (before the slideshow stills), and Endeavor vs High End were all visually fantastic

Yeah, the anime has done a very good job of pairing Horikoshi's extremely good art/design with people who actually know how to put together an action scene and it's a great marriage.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Funky Valentine posted:

I'm imagining Shigaraki accidentally dusting a bunch of controllers.

Could've sworn we saw Shiggy holding a controller at some point

Probably uses thumbs for sticks/button inputs, index for trigger/bumpers, and supports with middle/ring while keeping pinkies out rather than a claw grip where you swap to using the index finger for face buttons

Then when he gets mad, he grips the controller with all fingers and dusts them, yes

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ChronoReverse posted:

Give Miruko a robot limb and OFA. She'd take care of Shigaraki by herself in no time flat. Which is what Shigaraki would be. Because he'd be stomped flat. Via Miruko drop-kick.

The big scene comes where Deku is going to pass on his other quirks to the other members of class A. Suddenly Mirko shows up and he changes his mind and gives them all to her.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

The big scene comes where Deku is going to pass on his other quirks to the other members of class A. Suddenly Mirko shows up and he changes his mind and gives them all to her.

The Thanos meme but it's Mirko with all the Chaos Emerals, Exodia, the Sharingan, Mjolnir, Ultra Instinct, Haki, etc, etc.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Sep 2, 2020

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Ytlaya posted:

I read that as "suddenly Mirio shows up" and my first reaction was :hmmyes: right up until the 'her' when I realized I misread.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

I read that as "suddenly Mirio shows up" and my first reaction was :hmmyes: right up until the 'her' when I realized I misread.

Mirio shows up, having mastered Ki

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

People with "Mir" names in MHA really are something else, aren't they?

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Vinylshadow posted:

People with "Mir" names in MHA really are something else, aren't they?

The characters with "Sho" names need to emote more.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Carlosologist posted:

yeah, this is one thing i love the mha anime for. it makesthe action insanely clear, and for ages i thought it was jsut me that couldn't follow the manga because the anime's action scenes were so good lol

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Shere posted:

The whole time I've been wondering what the consequences for terminating the doctor's process early will be. I think if Shigaraki winds up hitting a limit, it'll be related to that.

All for One is just a loving busted quirk.

My guess is going to be that he's probably already hit some kind of limit but he's putting on some major intimidation factor and once this fight end and he makes his escape we're going to be shown how hosed up he actually is so the reader gets to see that he isn't a literal god now, and that'll keep him low, but not completely out of the game this time, while the heroes recover.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Spoiler time

Flashback to what happened with Machia. The sedative didn't work and he goes berserk in a rad 2 page spread. Also we get confirmation that Mirko is still alive.
Back to Shiggy. Deku is realllly pissed at him and it looks like Shiggy's body start failing(his arm almost falls off) because he's only 75% complete(the name of the chapter is 75%). Shiggy decays the ground and Deku saves everyone by using Nana’s quirk Float and holding everyone with Black Whip.

EDIT: Break next week.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Sep 3, 2020

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
So there is absolutely no way that Midoriya is getting out of this without people knowing about One for All.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Katsuki: lovely DEKU YOUR POWER IS SO loving STUPID. I loving HATE YOU SO MUCH STOP USING IT.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
If this chapter is like 15-16 pages you know Hori is overworked again, which would explain the break. I can't remember what the schedule usually works out as but generally for the "holidays" where the magazine goes on break I thought most mangaka actually have to do MORE work.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Funky Valentine posted:

Katsuki: lovely DEKU YOUR POWER IS SO loving STUPID. I loving HATE YOU SO MUCH STOP USING IT.

Scream it from the rooftops, he's not wrong.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I was hoping that Toga drank Gigantomachia's blood and transformed

It also would've been better if Uraraka got a time to shine, but they set this up a long time ago

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

galenanorth posted:

I was hoping that Toga drank Gigantomachia's blood and transformed

It also would've been better if Uraraka got a time to shine, but they set this up a long time ago

There are a bunch of other people in the way of a potential decay wave that Uraraka can save- namely Tsuyu and the other heroes where she is.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

RatHat posted:

Spoiler time

Shiggy decays the ground and Deku saves everyone by using Nana’s quirk Float and holding everyone with Black Whip.

I was wondering when that Checkhov’s gun was going to be fired ever since All Might said way back at the beginning of this arc that Deku would get that quirk next

Edit: And drat, another loss for Momo :smith:

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Sep 3, 2020

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Quirk: Goose Egg

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

rannum posted:

Gigantomachia's internal thoughts: I may have effortlessly broke through all her plans and all the heroes on the way to Master but somehow...it feels like I'm the one who TRULY lost

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Shigaraki decays people with his hands and Horikoshi is decaying himself with his own hands by not taking breaks.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

i didn't read any of the spoilers yet so while traditionally i do if i happent o guess something in them its just me being chill and good and cool

i wish uraraka beat gigantomachia by having iida run over and she used her powers to just make him go to space, instnatnly dying in a vaccuum. she can deal with throwing up for a few minutes or w/e if thats what it takes to save the earth

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
At this point Horikoshi should just quietly retire Momo’s character honestly

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747

tbp posted:

i didn't read any of the spoilers yet so while traditionally i do if i happent o guess something in them its just me being chill and good and cool

i wish uraraka beat gigantomachia by having iida run over and she used her powers to just make him go to space, instnatnly dying in a vaccuum. she can deal with throwing up for a few minutes or w/e if thats what it takes to save the earth

uraraka grabbing iida’s legs and spinning him around until he turns into a torpedo

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

She made a plan and managed to slow down the second most powerful villain in existence. I really don't see how this is a particularly damning failure for her, she managed something that so far literally no other heroes or the League of Villains managed to do which is slow down a walking mountain of a man. The fact it didn't keep is because Gigantomachia is just that overwhelmingly powerful, and to be frank he might still pass out next chapter. She made a plan and everyone worked together and survived, just because she didn't "win" doesn't mean she needs to be removed from the story.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
The real problem with Momo is that her power is outright too powerful if it was used even to 1% of its capability, even moreso that punchy OFA. Why is it that city shattering punches are allowed to be non-lethal but Momo can't use explosives with the same degree of power?

Or since we're clearly past the Godzilla Thresdhold (what with Endeavor basically trying to use lethal force), what if that giant tranquilizer canister was filled with chlorine trifluoride instead?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

ChronoReverse posted:

The real problem with Momo is that her power is outright too powerful if it was used even to 1% of its capability, even moreso that punchy OFA. Why is it that city shattering punches are allowed to be non-lethal but Momo can't use explosives with the same degree of power?

Or since we're clearly past the Godzilla Thresdhold (what with Endeavor basically trying to use lethal force), what if that giant tranquilizer canister was filled with chlorine trifluoride instead?
To Momo's credit her mission again- was just to administer sedative to Gigantomachia and that plan ended up succeeding. It just turns out that order given to her wasn't a good or effective enough one.

As for killing- it would be kinda dark to have the kids going for lethal force. Momo literally built howitzers and those didn't work. She'd have to probably pop out a Davy Crockett at this point which arguably- would be less dangerous to everyone around her than making chlorine trifluoride. Any gas is just out- there's allies all around and a guy who creates gigantic blasts of air.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

idk if "kinda dark" is an effective argument considering the other part of the battle field rn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
This whole arc has been stupid

Why didn't they just make a big ol net, ya goofus