Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Gort posted:

We should do away with the absolutely specious notion that everybody has to earn a living. It is a fact today that one in ten thousand of us can make a technological breakthrough capable of supporting all the rest. The youth of today are absolutely right in recognising this nonsense of earning a living. We keep inventing jobs because of this false idea that everybody has to be employed at some kind of drudgery because, according to Malthusian Darwinian theory he must justify his right to exist. So we have inspectors of inspectors and people making instruments for inspectors to inspect inspectors. The true business of people should be to go back to school and think about whatever it was they were thinking about before somebody came along and told them they had to earn a living.

It might be worth considering how this accelerates concentration of power towards the few providers, though. Many of the bullshit jobs out there seem like they're at least partially born out of the neurosis of a decaying capitalist state trying to be (or pretend to be) a democracy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Gort posted:

We should do away with the absolutely specious notion that everybody has to earn a living. It is a fact today that one in ten thousand of us can make a technological breakthrough capable of supporting all the rest. The youth of today are absolutely right in recognising this nonsense of earning a living. We keep inventing jobs because of this false idea that everybody has to be employed at some kind of drudgery because, according to Malthusian Darwinian theory he must justify his right to exist. So we have inspectors of inspectors and people making instruments for inspectors to inspect inspectors. The true business of people should be to go back to school and think about whatever it was they were thinking about before somebody came along and told them they had to earn a living.
They've got a school one too and it's the drunk off of the fast show.

Choose life.
Choose a job.
Choose a career.
Choose a family,
Choose a loving big television

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Anyone laughing out loud on the tube is a serial killer.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

They've got a school one too and it's the drunk off of the fast show.

Choose life.
Choose a job.
Choose a career.
Choose a family,
Choose a loving big television

They missed out 'making the class laugh. rude words on calculators. whoops you're in isolation for being disruptive, stare at the wall for the next 2 weeks in child jail'

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://twitter.com/mmtowns/status/1301449590881824769

Detol are doing a better job advocating against work than 90% of this thread.

“Getting an hour to yourself in the morning”

Hahahahaha. No people want that hour in bed you poo poo fucks.

Dettol don’t actually give a poo poo if you go to work though, they just want to sell cleaner. Maybe this is all a *checks notes* viral marketing stunt, those are still cool, right?, to get their name front and centre.

As soon as social distancing is dropped they’ll organise a flash mob, set your watch to it.

Edit : turns out I was not on the last page when I wrote that and the point has been made repeatedly.

Red Oktober fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Sep 3, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Red Oktober posted:

As soon as social distancing is dropped they’ll organise a flash mob, set your watch to it.
Why would they organize a mob for a competing product? :dadjoke:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

peanut- posted:

https://twitter.com/helloalegria/status/1301290315593191426?s=20

Genuinely reads like they set out to make the idea of returning to the office sound as awful as humanly possible

I can't help but think that whoever wrote "seeing your second family" is talking about mistresses.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Ah, that's what Boris has been writing while he's been in hiding.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Red Oktober posted:

Time to repost this then I think. Some Vice stuff is pretty good. https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/z3bmk8/unemployed-art-school-graduate-job-diary

good photographer too https://www.instagram.com/tom.glencross/?hl=en

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56RsdDNjGI4

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Everyone hated school right? It was poo poo, everyone I know says it was poo poo and awful. I dunno wtf is up with all these aliens claiming its great and kids love it.

Well I guess I have fond memories of primary school but secondary was just a awful cesspit. We used to bully our teachers until they cried, beat each other up in the woods and spend the rest of the time under a ton of dumb exam stress.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

peanut- posted:

Genuinely reads like they set out to make the idea of returning to the office sound as awful as humanly possible

I believe it's Dettol that made that ad, they've been plastering the tube with similar ads. I guess ad revenue in the tube has fallen off a cliff since there's barely anyone using the tube these days, because it's pretty much the only company doing ads down there now.

I don't think Dettol in particular are pushing for people to go back to the office, they're just trying to appeal to people who do like the office

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

peanut- posted:

beginning to black out as the man with his boot firmly on your neck screams at you "why aren't you smiling"

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

the sex ghost posted:

Cool to see that accidentally replying all and mixing up CC and BCC is a hilarious office jape and not something that would get me immediately fired

The worst is when someone emails the entire (national!) organisation to notify of a change of job / phone / after work drinks up in Darlington or somewhere (when you work in Croydon) and people start using 'reply all' to say 'take me off the list' or 'who are you' so it just escalates out of control jamming up everyone's inboxes and slowing the national IT down. Obviously when you are on a deadline to get the monthly figures out before the Chief Executive has you on the pointy seat to explain yourself.

Guavanaut posted:

:Groan: I see what you did there.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I had a visceral reaction to this, imagine looking forward to hearing buzzwords. That tells you everything you need to know about the wankers who wrote this.

Let's put a pin in that and i'll touch base with you later. Buzzwords have a use and i think it's worth doing a deep dive on why

:barf:

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

hemale in pain posted:

Everyone hated school right? It was poo poo, everyone I know says it was poo poo and awful. I dunno wtf is up with all these aliens claiming its great and kids love it.

Well I guess I have fond memories of primary school but secondary was just a awful cesspit. We used to bully our teachers until they cried, beat each other up in the woods and spend the rest of the time under a ton of dumb exam stress.

I loved primary school and maybe the first year of secondary and then it became a bullying-filled shithole that i hate thinking about.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

https://twitter.com/p_hearn/status/1301468721702219778?s=19

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Gonzo McFee posted:

Sorry about having to come into contact with our dogshit welfare system. Have you gotten in touch with any welfare rights teams? If you're a member of a housing association then they should be able to get you in touch with a team to help you. Sometimes the DWP will back off just at the sight of a welfare rights team getting near a case.

I remember when I had to help represent a guy with learning difficulties, epilepsy and injuries stemming from a crossbow attack. First they interviewed him alone and assessed him as fit for work because he did well in school (they left off it was Primary school he was talking about), then he got in touch with me who got him in touch with the Welfare rights team, we built up a case and went in with numbers and they backed off immediately after a quick interview with us. They're weasels seeing what they can get away with.

I have a benefits adviser at the CAB handling my appeal for me. She did the evidence gathering and submission for the appeal.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Oh gently caress, it absolutely is, isn't it?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Let's put a pin in that and i'll touch base with you later. Buzzwords have a use and i think it's worth doing a deep dive on why

:barf:

We are where we are and we need some out of the box thinking on how we can improve performance when the mgt won't approve funding of temp/contract staff to cover the 2 people on long-term sick, nor the £1500 piece of kit which would save the company £bazillions . Let's take this offline post meeting.

Primary school chat:

We did the hokey cokey as a class (we were Year 2 I think in the new money) and everyone (except me obviously) missed a bit out. I got into a super grump and refused to continue and sat in the corner with a major frowny face and folded arms. That was 55 years ago. I still remember it like it was yesterday.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Sep 3, 2020

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I'm on holiday at the moment but all I am thinking of is getting back to the office and taking part in scrums and telling people "let's take it offline" then feeling smug that they've made the tea and coffee free ~*during these challenging times*~ while I stay late cos half the staff have just come back from European holidays but management can't decide if you need to quarantine after filling your car up at a petrol station in France

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
https://twitter.com/IrvineWelsh/status/1301451442599989249

Gladly.

e: GMB institutionally sexist.

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Sep 3, 2020

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Oh gently caress, it absolutely is, isn't it?

Is what?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Jedit posted:

Is what?

A good set of alternative lyrics for Fitter, Happier

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Guavanaut posted:

Boooooo! You're not a good person, you know that, right?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Payndz posted:

I walked the Thames Path with my wife and then two-year-old son a few years ago. Took a photo of the MI6 building in Vauxhall just to go "Look, it's where James Bond works!" Thirty seconds later, we were stopped by two armed coppers "for a chat".

Meanwhile, you can go into Google Maps' 3D mode and see the whole exterior in high-definition from all angles. But no, stopping random tourists with small children for taking pictures of a building that has appeared in numerous Bond films is the way to maintain security. :rolleyes:

How much do you and your family look like terrorists? Fell free to use either RGB or Pantone numbers.

I have a couple of anecdotes like that, that I'm going to put into the post. It's really surprising (except not really) just how variable the level of paranoia and response is about certain places even for constant levels of pastiness.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Jedit posted:

Is what?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4SzvsMFaek

The second embedded tweet was parodying this. Radiohead piece mocking vacuous self-improvement ideology that exists purely within a consumer capitalist framework.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Sep 3, 2020

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Bobby Deluxe posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4SzvsMFaek

The second embedded tweet was parodying this. Radiohead piece mocking vacuous self-improvement ideology that exists purely within a consumer capitalist framework.

Ah, the famous British self deprecation.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Thing about those loving "inspirational" work signs is that if you're seeing them, you're already on the goddamn Tube. The people 100% working from home aren't going to see them.

unless you wankers tweet about them, I guess

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Gort posted:

unless you wankers tweet about them, I guess
Marketing departments have cottoned on to the Tory trick of making adverts so poo poo that people share them widely for mockery

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

peanut- posted:

boss's jokes boss is a joke

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Lungboy posted:

Anyone laughing out loud on the tube is a serial killer.

IDK the people who were laughing when that racist poo poo got lamped last week seemed all right.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Marmaduke! posted:

I'm on holiday at the moment but all I am thinking of is getting back to the office and taking part in scrums and telling people "let's take it offline" then feeling smug that they've made the tea and coffee free ~*during these challenging times*~ while I stay late cos half the staff have just come back from European holidays but management can't decide if you need to quarantine after filling your car up at a petrol station in France

What kind of hellhole doesn't provide free coffee even in normal times? At least in the tech world, the one place I've worked which stopped doing that, also stopped paying people on time a couple of weeks later. Then, eventually, at all.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

CGI Stardust posted:

Marketing departments have cottoned on to the Tory trick of making adverts so poo poo that people share them widely for mockery

You mean shitposting?

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

hemale in pain posted:

Yeah, exactly. School was atrocious and is 95% bad memories and stress. It's the number one sign you're speaking to a Tory when they talk about how much they loved school. Not everyone who loved school is a Tory, but it's a very good metric

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
This is horrible news

https://twitter.com/philipproudfoot/status/1301507917003272192?s=19

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Sucks to hear about Graeber.

Twitter's obscenity filter putting the work in there.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
They're so loving useless

https://twitter.com/joncstone/status/1301481625801416704?s=19

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Crazy. I met him at Momentum's Christmas party last year. Seemed very nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Primary school chat:

We did the hokey cokey as a class (we were Year 2 I think in the new money) and everyone (except me obviously) missed a bit out. I got into a super grump and refused to continue and sat in the corner with a major frowny face and folded arms. That was 55 years ago. I still remember it like it was yesterday.

I still remember clearly when our class played Blockbusters, we were divided up boys/girls, and it was obvious the teacher wanted the girls to win.
All the questions were so easy, upto mine.
I selected 'P'. And was asked 'What P is a hunting bird'. Peregrine Falcon!
How the gently caress is a 10 year old meant to know that.