Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Just give me the F-Zero GX port goddamnit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nail Rat posted:

I'm betting that if they really make the digital run limited, they'll open it back up in a year or two. But it might herald the fuckery they'll do with the Prime trilogy and a Zelda 3D collection. Some Disney vault style bullshit.

Nah, that's massively overreacting. They're pretty obviously doing it in this case because it's the Mario 35th Limited Edition Collection and they only want it available during the Mario 35th celebration window. They pulled the exact same thing with the 25th Anniversary All-Stars Edition on the Wii; One print run and gone.

Given we can reasonably say they'll have Netflix-style services for their later consoles eventually, this is the only way to push out a collection like this now and turn a profit on it (in their eyes).

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Honestly I've never been a big fan of changing the look of big-deal classics like Mario games. Increased resolution and framerate is cool and good, but I wasn't hoping for better assets. Wasn't a fan of the original All-Stars for that reason. Kinda glad 64 is more-or-less intact.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

If I can move the camera in 64 with the right analogue stick then that alone would be worth the $60 imo

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Nah, that's massively overreacting. They're pretty obviously doing it in this case because it's the Mario 35th Limited Edition Collection and they only want it available during the Mario 35th celebration window. They pulled the exact same thing with the 25th Anniversary All-Stars Edition on the Wii; One print run and gone.
Yeah this makes sense for the physical release, but why the digital??

Dr.D-O
Jan 3, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Len posted:

Metroid prime trilogy any day now right? Please :smith:

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Being utterly mystified about the "limited run" thing aside, I'm excited about the new All-Stars. Never played Mario 64, so I'm really interested to see how it holds up now that it's not The Past. Plus I never finished Sunshine and I think I only played Galaxy 2.

The remote control cars are fun as hell as an idea, but I'm a bit suspicious about controlling a toy car by looking at a screen and not the car. I mean I know the joy is AR racing in YOUR HOME, but dammit you kids get off my lawn.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Merkinman posted:

Same reason. Also because Nintendo doesn't understand digital services.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

The Merkinman posted:

Especially for the battle royale game. It’s a completely unique digital-only game and there will be no other way to play it or really preserve it.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

If not for the limited run of the 3D all stars, I would guess that Galaxy 2 will come later as a $20 dlc. But that limited run thing is weird.

Anyway. The new 2d all stars looks amazing, the mario kart toy is genius, and I'm stoked to finally play Sunshine. A good start to my day.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

I'll probably be shat on as a Nintendo apologist and believe me, I'm not a fan of limited run stuff either, especially not if it happens for seemingly no reason whatsoever, but c'mon... "oh no this game that will never go down in price and that most of us will buy on or before launch date anyway is only available for SIX MONTHS! What ever shall we do?" Y'all know it's true too. Though as I said, I can't really make sense of why there's a limited run in the first place, so what do I know.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

Len posted:

I stare at my steelbook of this every day and wish I didn't have to play it on the not switch.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

What the gently caress is with limited edition digital?!

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

yoshi’s people demanded way too much money for using the dinosaur’s appearance in a galaxy 2 port

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

3D-All Stars being limited run AND full price retail feels like kind of particularly lame.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Quantum of Phallus posted:

What the gently caress is with limited edition digital?!

nintendo

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Nintendo embracing their inner-Disney with the limited release experiment.

As someone who just bought a house with all tile and hardwood, I can't wait to get that R/C Mario Kart.

UnintelGen
Sep 5, 2018

Wonderful 100, Capitalism fails again!

Team, engaging Unlimited Funds!

shyduck posted:

Especially for the battle royale game. It’s a completely unique digital-only game and there will be no other way to play it or really preserve it.

I suspect (from my rear end) that they don't feel like keeping the servers up. To be fair, Tetris 99 suffers from the same fate in a way. That battle Royale mode won't stay up forever.

But it's probably more FOMO... It's working on me, in any case

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
bunch of loving nerds are gonna buy a second copy to keep in the shrink wrap and score a profit of $15 in five years

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Given we can reasonably say they'll have Netflix-style services for their later consoles eventually, this is the only way to push out a collection like this now and turn a profit on it (in their eyes).

Next year is the 35th anniversary of Zelda, so I see no reason why they wouldn't do the same thing with OoT, MM, WW, and TP potentially.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Len posted:

Metroid's 35th Anniversary is in August 2021. :tinfoil:

Just kidding, Nintendo's never given a poo poo about Metroid's anniversaries.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

everyone itt that spent the last 15 days raging about rumors and leaks must forfeit their right to play mario in perpetuity

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
so new switch is coming in March

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

A bit disappointed 64 isn’t in widescreen due to all the new fan ports but maybe there was some issue with that.

I really hope they change their minds on the battle royale game being only limited time. That looks so loving fun. I’m also excited about 3D World FINALLY and it looks like it’s going to have substantial more content than a typical DX port.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Well that was cool. Mario Kart Live looks super fun for kids. Seems like it'll be pricey though. Kinda disappointed that All-Stars is out now because I just finished beating all the NES Marios, but that's fine. It's a lovely collection.

3D All-Stars looks great and I'm really excited for it since I never played Sunshine and I only borrowed Galaxy, beating it but not spending a lot of time on it. 64 is always worth a revisit. And frankly I love jukeboxes in games so no complaints there.

With 3D World coming, what's left for original WiiU content? Not counting the Zelda Remasters since they're still remasters of older games.

I'm considering doing another voucher for 3D AS and World. I'll wait a bit.

Also I cannot wait to play Mario 35 but I'm extremely sad it's not going to be permanent, unless somehow they go full battle royale and it just becomes Mario 100.

It was interesting to see what doesn't count as a Mario game in that final montage namely SMW2: Yoshi's Island and SML3: Wario Time.

Crusader posted:

i think the limited time thing is because they'll eventually start adding gamecube and wii to the streaming game collections

That makes just enough sense?

Endorph posted:

im glad nintendo is reintroducing the disney vault

What's this?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I can’t wait for Bowser to unload his fury in on me, whew saved it

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Just remembered that Nintendo's fiscal year ends on March 31, lol.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://twitter.com/rihanna/status/488434293996552192

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

https://twitter.com/i_zzzzzz/status/567091457270751233?s=21

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Super No Vacancy posted:

everyone itt that spent the last 15 days raging about rumors and leaks must forfeit their right to play mario in perpetuity

I would've still preferred not having to hear about rumors and leaks until getting surprised with this stuff today.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

SeANMcBAY posted:

A bit disappointed 64 isn’t in widescreen due to all the new fan ports but maybe there was some issue with that.

Yeah the vita port that came out last month looks better

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Man that video was a great way to brighten up a bad morning.

I'm suspecting that the six month window on Super Mario Bros 35 is so people don't get burnt out on it. Nintendo probably has data on the average gamer attention span and this game really needs a full lobby to play. That's just my guess.

I've been really slacking on Mario games, so these re-releases are going to be a great way to catch up.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Everybody keeps talking about Galaxy 2 getting the shaft, but what about SMW2? Is Yoshi's Island not considered a main Super Mario game? It wasn't in the ending montage either

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Forced scarcity. You limit the availability of something for no other reason than to make sure people will pick it up for fear of not having the chance to pick it up in the future. Disney has done this in the past with its movies.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Also this pretty much locks in that they're gonna announce game boy games and not n64 games for switch online a little later this month, right? Probably n64 games next year (after this collection is no longer available).

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

timp posted:

Is Yoshi's Island not considered a main Super Mario game?

No.

Nail Rat posted:

Also this pretty much locks in that they're gonna announce game boy games and not n64 games for switch online a little later this month, right?

Why Game Boy, and why this month?

night slime
May 14, 2014
Any idea how you'll collect Star Bits on the Galaxy port? I didn't notice them in the trailer.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I would've still preferred not having to hear about rumors and leaks until getting surprised with this stuff today.

I remained blissfully unaware and, lemme tell ya, I recommend it :discourse:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Nail Rat posted:

Also this pretty much locks in that they're gonna announce game boy games and not n64 games for switch online a little later this month, right? Probably n64 games next year (after this collection is no longer available).

Yeah sure N64 emulation is still pretty poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Super No Vacancy posted:

I'm not a big fan of Mario games (I'm incredibly bad at them) so I'm okay with this