Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stanky Bean
Dec 30, 2004

Ingmar terdman posted:

I won't post them all but https://twitter.com/SecretsOfDune is swelling the beef today

That wide shot of the Arrakeen landing field looks amazing.

e: well I guess its Geidi prime nevermind but still amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I could buy that the deep desert suits have to seal better, fit better, pump better, hold up to more wear and tear, whatever. Lots of parallels in real life like cars

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
I think the idea is that they are just less efficient with their seals etc, so you will lose more than "a thimbleful of water a day". In the cities with higher ambient moisture and plenty of dietary water from offworld foods, that is fine, but in the deep desert you will soon lose too much water to survive.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Okay, that makes sense.
Dune has this incredible power- no matter how ridiculous and fantastical it gets- to make me engage with it seriously. I always end up trying to puzzle out "why don't they grab some ice from elsewhere in the solar system and smash it through the atmosphere to increase its moisture content-?" and then I have to remind myself that Dune is a half-century-old science-fable written by the same dude who invented the word beefswelling.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Ingmar terdman posted:

I could buy that the deep desert suits have to seal better, fit better, pump better, hold up to more wear and tear, whatever. Lots of parallels in real life like cars

Plus not all beef jerky is made the same

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Tree Bucket posted:

Okay, that makes sense.
Dune has this incredible power- no matter how ridiculous and fantastical it gets- to make me engage with it seriously. I always end up trying to puzzle out "why don't they grab some ice from elsewhere in the solar system and smash it through the atmosphere to increase its moisture content-?" and then I have to remind myself that Dune is a half-century-old science-fable written by the same dude who invented the word beefswelling.

It's specifically a point that the Kynes plan is to terraform Arrakis the hard way, that the Fremen themselves are in control of, rather than relying on the Empire's infrastructure and technology to do so.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Tree Bucket posted:

Okay, that makes sense.

It's not that they can't do that. The Emperor and the Guild won't let them, The balance of power is so delicate that changing life on Arrakis would disrupt galactic commerce and society. The planet remains a desert and Kynes doesn't tell the Emperor everything he knows, because he's secretly committed to terraforming.

exmachina posted:

The dinner party scene will make or break this movie for me

Also this.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Tree Bucket posted:

Okay, that makes sense.

Water could be imported; essentially it is via off world food. However it won't change the climate: free moisture is encapsulated by soundtrout anyway

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Naibs With Attitude

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

was going to say he needs a giant clock around his neck but then did clocks get destroyed in the butlerian jihad, are mentats trained to subconsciously be counting the time all day every day???

Jesus In A Can
Jul 2, 2007
From Concentrate

Eau de MacGowan posted:

was going to say he needs a giant clock around his neck but then did clocks get destroyed in the butlerian jihad, are mentats trained to subconsciously be counting the time all day every day???

There's a point right when they arrive in Arrakeen where they make a deal about resetting all of their clocks to local time, and Idaho makes a drunken fool of himself at 2am following the dinner party, as noted by Jessica.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

phasmid posted:

It's not that they can't do that. The Emperor and the Guild won't let them, The balance of power is so delicate that changing life on Arrakis would disrupt galactic commerce and society. The planet remains a desert and Kynes doesn't tell the Emperor everything he knows, because he's secretly committed to terraforming.

I bet this subplot is going to be a lot more present in this version than in Lynch's. In the modern world the idea of a guerilla movement focused on ecological change in the face of entrenched powerful opposition carries a lot of weight. People may even get the emotional impact of that movement being hijacked by a messiah figure and used for power politics in a way that the book clearly felt but didn't always communicate.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Notahippie posted:

I bet this subplot is going to be a lot more present in this version than in Lynch's. In the modern world the idea of a guerilla movement focused on ecological change in the face of entrenched powerful opposition carries a lot of weight. People may even get the emotional impact of that movement being hijacked by a messiah figure and used for power politics in a way that the book clearly felt but didn't always communicate.

That's a good point. If the movie finds an audience - and I think it will - that part of it will resonate with a lot of people.

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

"This god whom I created was human-made and madness, like all gods! Woman she was, and only a poor specimen of woman and ego. But I overcame myself, the sufferer; I carried my own ashes to the mountains; I invented a brighter flame for myself. And behold, then this god fled from me!"
If the "Fremen fighting for ecological change" things does resonate, God Emperor of Dune (and even Children to an extent) as a movie is going to be interesting. Basically all the changes Kynes and the Fremen do to make Arrakis "better" just completely destroy the Fremen and the Arrakis way of life in general.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Lord Justice posted:

If the "Fremen fighting for ecological change" things does resonate, God Emperor of Dune (and even Children to an extent) as a movie is going to be interesting. Basically all the changes Kynes and the Fremen do to make Arrakis "better" just completely destroy the Fremen and the Arrakis way of life in general.
At this point I'm going to be happy if we get a Dune Part II. I highly doubt anyone would finance Children or especially God Emperor.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Tolkien would be sickened by all the allegory

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

AFewBricksShy posted:

At this point I'm going to be happy if we get a Dune Part II. I highly doubt anyone would finance Children or especially God Emperor.

There's plenty you can do with Messiah though, especially if you add in Children of Dune material like the SciFi miniseries did.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

the challenging sci fi story of heroes who want to cause a climate apocalypse in a stable ecosystem

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

u brexit ukip it posted:

There's plenty you can do with Messiah though, especially if you add in Children of Dune material like the SciFi miniseries did.

Agreed, but Dune would have to make :10bux:Marvel:10bux: to get a sequel beyond the second half of the first book.

Doc Hawkins posted:

the challenging sci fi story of heroes who want to cause a climate apocalypse in a stable ecosystem

We're already watching a movie where a young wealthy person joins a group of desert dwellers intent on overthrowing the government by taking control of a substance that the universe needs to be able to travel, a pro-climate change movie would probably be the easier sell here.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Sep 3, 2020

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
trying to imagine a cinematic adaptation of God Emperor and :hmbol:.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The closest movie I can think of in terms of weirdness and the hero/villain standing around saying screwy oddball poo poo is Island of Dr. Moreau

edit: cast Steve Coogan in a worm suit doing his best Marlon Brando

vvvvvv :lol:

kiimo fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Sep 3, 2020

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

https://youtu.be/8_wktVpKUNc for proof of concept

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

kiimo posted:

Tolkien would be sickened by all the allegory

Elves don't need OPEC. Their horses are fueled by magic grass. AND THAT'S ALL IT IS. I HEAR YOU KIDS SNICkERING BACK THERE!

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

kiimo posted:

The closest movie I can think of in terms of weirdness and the hero/villain standing around saying screwy oddball poo poo is Island of Dr. Moreau

I was just telling someone this morning that Brando Moreau is extremely Leto II

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Ingmar terdman posted:

I was just telling someone this morning that Brando Moreau is extremely Leto II

Getting more of a Baron Harkonnen vibe.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

AFewBricksShy posted:

We're already watching a movie where a young wealthy person joins a group of desert dwellers intent on overthrowing the government by taking control of a substance that the universe needs to be able to travel, a pro-climate change movie would probably be the easier sell here.

And not just any substance but space LSD

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Barron Trump: Muslim Ecoterrorist

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Ghost Leviathan posted:

i was gonna say Tleilaxu, Brando is three of them in a muumuu.

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos

We have the technology

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Don't forget, Leto is both Atreides and Harkonnen

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Tolkien famously didn't like Dune.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Notahippie posted:

That's a really excellent point. I never thought of Dune in those terms before, but it's absolutely A Thing. Dune really should be Kyne's story of patient, cautious, rigorous ecological work- but it all just ends up as backdrop to some charismatic dude's personal adventure.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Tree Bucket posted:

That's a really excellent point. I never thought of Dune in those terms before, but it's absolutely A Thing. Dune really should be Kyne's story of patient, cautious, rigorous ecological work- but it all just ends up as backdrop to some charismatic dude's personal adventure.

I don't remember it from my reading but is it ever explained in the books why the fremens agree to terraform Arrakis knowing very well it's going to destroy the sandworms ecosystem?

Is it like "we prefer to live on a paradise planet rather than being coveted by all the great powers of the universe"?

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Sep 3, 2020

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

They were going to keep parts of it a desert still. Whether that was really feasible or just a convenient fantasy is another question.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Not trying to make a point here just getting amped. And I wish the children of dune movie was available somewhere

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Tree Bucket posted:

It's something I've been thinking about because it's an active theme in the book - I don't remember if it was Chani or Kynes or even Kynes' dad in the appendix in the copy I had, but one of the ecologists talks about how "the worst thing that could happen to my people is if they fall into the hands of a hero" and there's a suggestion that the Fremen were in part ready to unify behind Paul because Kynes had successfully unified them behind a transformational vision. But Herbert never really does anything with it other than basically say "yeah, poo poo sucks doesn't it" and the plot really glorifies Paul. I've never been sure whether Herbert meant it to read as a tragedy but fell into the trap that your hero is always the most sympathetic character, or if the ecological stuff was just background.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
He extrapolates the ecological story by having the entire desert shrunk down to a small patch with no worms. The Fremen prophecy was about creating a kind of better world that was still distinctly their own. Paul used their momentum - in his vision, someone somehow was going to do this anyway - to propel himself to emperor.

In book 2 there was a conspirator who told about going to a planet with great seas and trying to drink the saltwater our of excitement. In book 4 there are the descendants of the Fremen, a mostly-ignored group of traditionalists who kept the Fremen ceremony and custom but who didnt know their real culture of isolationism and barbarity. They couldn't fight and the only sandworm they knew was President God.

There's other stories of how the Fremen way of life was lost in a gradual assimilation/dissolution. Their story is a sad one, a people once enslaved, then briefly, bitterly free before their erasure.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Good post. The museum fremen that duncan meets near the end of GE and dunc's frustration and pity is a highlight from that book

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Ingmar terdman posted:

Not trying to make a point here just getting amped

I am going to make a point: I love that she's seated in this shot and that Paul towers over her. Under normal circumstances we'd consider the person who is physically higher and more dynamically posed to be more powerful, but Mohiam - and by extension the Bene Gesserit - don't operate by those rules.