Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Mirthless posted:

I'm kinda expecting them to roll out the female batch of primaris marines that old rascal belisarius was cooking up this whole time, honest just about any day now, really

I think the fact they didn't make it part of the Primaris like they did with say, Stormcast in AOS is proof its just not on the table. I think the new Sisters line is meant to be the consolation prize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

RagnarokAngel posted:

I think the fact they didn't make it part of the Primaris like they did with say, Stormcast in AOS is proof its just not on the table. I think the new Sisters line is meant to be the consolation prize.

AOS wasn't their main line and starting out the Primaris revamp that they were already unsure about with something anyone could predict a substantial portion of the existing fanbase would take antagonistically is understandable to me

I feel like if they were really interested in making sisters of battle a relevant addition to the tabletop they would have put out a start collecting box by now (or done more than one extremely limited print run of the army box) but I still get the impression they're intended to be a premium line and I feel like the direction they're taking things right now indicates that they're rejecting the portion of the fanbase who would have objected to this poo poo in the first place at this point (because, surprise, everyone else has a lot more money) and making the flagship product of the line more accessible just means collecting more dollars from the wider, better audience

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

RagnarokAngel posted:

I've said this before: Sisters are great, but the whole point of Space Marines is how varied their themes and aesthetics are between chapters. You've got your Renaissance vampires, Catholic Illuminati, space vikings, infinite palette swapped Roman centurions, crusading knights, cyborgs, birbgoths, atrocity sharks, et cetera. Sisters pretty much just get Catholic Inquisition, and it sucks that if you want boy soldiers you get all that choice but you're poo poo out of luck if you want girl soldiers but don't want Catholic Inquisition girl soldiers.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Stephenls posted:

I've said this before: Sisters are great, but the whole point of Space Marines is how varied their themes and aesthetics are between chapters. You've got your Renaissance vampires, Catholic Illuminati, space vikings, infinite palette swapped Roman centurions, crusading knights, cyborgs, birbgoths, atrocity sharks, et cetera. Sisters pretty much just get Catholic Inquisition, and it sucks that if you want boy soldiers you get all that choice but you're poo poo out of luck if you want girl soldiers but don't want Catholic Inquisition girl soldiers.

It's honestly hard to even paint them any way but the way they're shown on the box because of how poorly defined their lore is and how narrow their model designs are because prior to 2019 they were aimed square at the "boys who went to catholic school" audience and they can't entirely escape that aesthetic without losing the faction's identity

Like a space marine is basically a blank canvas, there's so much space on the armor to work with and even with the more gothic direction of the modern character models it feels like you still have more room for chapter flare and customization for sure

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Mirthless posted:

AOS wasn't their main line and starting out the Primaris revamp that they were already unsure about with something anyone could predict a substantial portion of the existing fanbase would take antagonistically is understandable to me

I feel like if they were really interested in making sisters of battle a relevant addition to the tabletop they would have put out a start collecting box by now (or done more than one extremely limited print run of the army box) but I still get the impression they're intended to be a premium line and I feel like the direction they're taking things right now indicates that they're rejecting the portion of the fanbase who would have objected to this poo poo in the first place at this point (because, surprise, everyone else has a lot more money) and making the flagship product of the line more accessible just means collecting more dollars from the wider, better audience

Oh, Start Collecting! Sisters is in the works. I've said this before, too: Shadowspear came out in spring of 2019 and had monopose Vanguard Space Marines and Chaos Space Marines. The Vanguard Space Marines were on one full-sized sprue and two duplicated half-sized sprues, plus two eighth-sprue characters, while Chaos Space Marines have two full-sized sprues plus one eighth-sprue character. Then, during the holiday period for 2019, Shadowspear got broken up into two Start Collecting! boxes. Start Collecting! Vanguard Space Marines had just the one full and two half-sprues (which they could do because the full sprue had a Lieutenant, and all SC! boxes need an HQ), with the two separate characters being sold separately in clampacks, while Start Collecting! Chaos Space Marines had both full-sized CSM sprues from Shadowspear plus the character (which they had to do because there's no HQ unit on those two full-sized sprues).

The Sisters box has one full and two half-sized sprues, plus an eighth-size character sprue, and also came out holidays 2019. That's almost exactly the same amount of plastic as went into both SC! boxes GW spun off from Shadowspear.

At this point I wouldn't be surprised if we don't get SC! Sisters this holiday season just because COVID-19 happened and kicked GW's production schedule in the pants, but I remain convinced that the intention was always to put the contents of the Sisters battlebox from last Christmas (but without the special edition codex or dice or cards) into a Start Collecting! box this Christmas. It hasn't been that long since their line relaunch; there's almost always a delay between an army launch and the accompanying SC! box. It just feels like forever because we're living in 2020, The Year That Is A Decade.

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Sep 3, 2020

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Stephenls posted:

Oh, Start Collecting! Sisters is in the works. I've said this before, too: Shadowspear came out in spring of 2019 and had monopose Vanguard Space Marines and Chaos Space Marines. The Vanguard Space Marines were on one full-sized sprue and two duplicated half-sized sprues, plus two eighth-sprue characters, while Chaos Space Marines have two full-sized sprues plus one eighth-sprue character. Then, during the holiday period for 2019, Shadowspear got broken up into two Start Collecting! boxes. Start Collecting! Vanguard Space Marines had just the one full and two half-sprues (which they could do because the full sprue had a Lieutenant, and all SC! boxes need an HQ), with the two separate characters being sold separately in clampacks, while Start Collecting! Chaos Space Marines had both full-sized CSM sprues from Shadowspear plus the character (which they had to do because there's no HQ unit on those two full-sized sprues).

The Sisters box has one full and two half-sized sprues, plus an eighth-size character sprue, and also came out holidays 2019. That's almost exactly the same amount of plastic as went into both SC! boxes GW spun off from Shadowspear.

At this point I wouldn't be surprised if we don't get SC! Sisters this holiday season just because COVID-19 happened and kicked GW's production schedule in the pants, but I remain convinced that the intention was always to put the contents of the Sisters battlebox from last Christmas (but without the special edition codex or dice or cards) into a Start Collecting! box this Christmas.

God I loving hope so

Those boxes are going for like $350-400 on ebay now and climbing and a lot of the existing sisters minis are sold out all over the place or being egregiously gouged, if they're really supporting the line long term they've been doing a poor showing of it with their print runs

Like I know Covid threw a wrench in the works but surely GW hasn't been out of production the whole year?

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Mirthless posted:

God I loving hope so

Those boxes are going for like $350-400 on ebay now and climbing and a lot of the existing sisters minis are sold out all over the place or being egregiously gouged, if they're really supporting the line long term they've been doing a poor showing of it with their print runs

Like I know Covid threw a wrench in the works but surely GW hasn't been out of production the whole year?

They were out of production for about... two months, I think? Which could be enough to throw off their Christmas production agenda, and certainly seemed to be enough to kick their new edition launch back a while.

But, like, there's almost always a delay between army launch and Start Collecting! launch. GW probably wants the early adopters to be stuck buying the expensive individual kits for a while.

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Sep 3, 2020

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

The indomitus made to order has got to be kicking their factory in the balls too.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

The Lumineth box was announced as last chance to get more or less the week before the individual boxes came up for preorder. If the pandemic hadn't struck we'd probably see the SC Sisters box by now.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Nice! That head full of eyes is going to look sick painted up.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Stephenls posted:

I don't think it's a good consolation prize nor am I saying "well if you want girl marines play sisters, checkmate" it's what i think GW interprets as a consolation prize. I think they have decided that space marines being male is part and parcel with the force and they have no desire to change it at this time.

I admit I have some frustrations with trying to "woke-ify" 40k, not because I think that's bad but because GW has no interest in supporting it. They've tried to branch out with diversity in novels lately which is nice but ultimately vastly prefer cis het white male authors and they don't seem to want to change that.

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Are you saying I'm a sinner?

I'm just glad there are enough independent options that make it possible to do your own female marines and there are communities out there willing to be open minded enough to at least accept, or embrace the idea even.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Cooked Auto posted:

The Lumineth box was announced as last chance to get more or less the week before the individual boxes came up for preorder. If the pandemic hadn't struck we'd probably see the SC Sisters box by now.

They've been putting out new SC! boxes as part of the Christmas battlebox rollout for the last... two or three years, I want to say? I think SC! Sisters was always planned to be this Christmas.

RagnarokAngel posted:

I don't think it's a good consolation prize nor am I saying "well if you want girl marines play sisters, checkmate" it's what i think GW interprets as a consolation prize. I think they have decided that space marines being male is part and parcel with the force and they have no desire to change it at this time.

I admit I have some frustrations with trying to "woke-ify" 40k, not because I think that's bad but because GW has no interest in supporting it. They've tried to branch out with diversity in novels lately which is nice but ultimately vastly prefer cis het white male authors and they don't seem to want to change that.

Sorry, I wasn't reading your post as saying it was a good consolation prize. Should have made that clear.

Anyway. I'm hoping the reason we saw no women among the initial Primaris Space Marines rollout is because GW still wasn't sure how the Primaris were going to be accepted, and also because, given the three year turnaround from initial design steps to market, the Primaris line would have had its foundations laid while GW was still under the somewhat notoriously conservative Tom Kirby as CEO. And I'm hoping that now that Kirby is gone, Primaris marines are a rousing success, folks like Aaron Demski-Bowden are yelling whatever it is they're yelling behind the scenes in the writer pit, and also that Sisters box sold out in, what, twenty minutes? ("Get woke go broke make all the money in the world") things are different now and we'll see women join the ranks of the Adeptus Astartes, if not this year then... let's say within three years from now.

(My fear is that this will never happen, and that the reason is something stupid like the arguments for and against are very close and the deciding point ends up being something like "Space Marines call each other battle brothers, and logically would call female space marines battle sisters, but the Battle Sisters are a different army, and this would produce brand confusion, so no.")

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Stephenls posted:

I was going to say "Since I'm building up to doing a Carcharodons patrol detachment, I might use one of the yelling heads on a sergeant or something" but then I remembered that I'm trying to do lore-accurate Carcharodons and they're canonically completely silent during fights, so that won't work. But there are non-yelling heads.

Color scheme's not quite there yet. Need darker shoulder pads and to get better at the freehanding exile marks. But I figure I'm about one test model away from a final recipe.

This is fantastic! I'm about to start the same myself. What colors did you use on the body? The blended grey to 'white-belly' effect is exactly what I was imagining.

Your freehanding is superlative as well. Really just love everything about it.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

RagnarokAngel posted:

I mean, GW openly rejecting racist and fascist ideology just happened in the last three months so I'm willing to give them a little time on this

I think if GW had no interest in supporting it they wouldn't have done what they have already done, which has been an absolutely gigantic directional shift in the in-game lore, products they are releasing, and messaging to the public

They are definitely not moving at the pace we all want them to move at but to be honest they're moving faster and farther than I ever expected them to on any of these issues and I'm hopeful for the future direction of the franchise

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Stephenls posted:

(My fear is that this will never happen, and that the reason is something stupid like the arguments for and against are very close and the deciding point ends up being something like "Space Marines call each other battle brothers, and logically would call female space marines battle sisters, but the Battle Sisters are a different army, and this would produce brand confusion, so no.")

I could totally see this, haha

:capitalism:

Sisters vs Marines would be easier if they were structured and named differently, even their latin faction name just kind of invokes "Female Space Marine"

Hmmm... If I was at GW, and this was an initiative I was involved in, maybe I'd be looking at spinning off 500 space marine chapters from sisters put through a modified primaris process, then you can re-use a lot of the terminology in chapter material and fluff without having to feel as weird about it

Edit: Also I was just reading up on this today and technically speaking, canonically, there may be, or at least were a small handful of firstborn female astartes but the implantation process killed the overwhelming majority of subjects and the emperor tossed the project as wasteful, if Cawl was working on Primaris for ten thousand years he might have had time to iron out the bugs

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Sep 3, 2020

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mirthless posted:

I mean, GW openly rejecting racist and fascist ideology just happened in the last three months so I'm willing to give them a little time on this

I really like that they did this, not just openly about it, but like "we don't want your money, you don't matter to us, go away."

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

I broke down and bought the bits I needed for my squats from a French eBay seller.

$40 for 26 bits.
Talk about a damned ripoff.

It's going to feel so good finishing off this project. Now I'm considering a resin 3d printer now. I know about zbrush, but are there any other sculpting programs I need to look into, or a specific printer that's recommended?

I'm almost done with my Iron Warriors too.

I still need to do something about rivets on the legs. Maybe add smaller chain as well to the larger chain.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

DandyLion posted:

This is fantastic! I'm about to start the same myself. What colors did you use on the body? The blended grey to 'white-belly' effect is exactly what I was imagining.

That's a very thinned Celestra Grey base airbrushed over a model that's been prepped to Vince's standards (with the Celestra airbrush coat never going lower than horizontal to the model), then a careful zenithal highlight of Vallejo Model Color Pale Grey Blue 70.907 (153), and then an all-over spray with (uuuggghhhh) AK Interactive's Dark Brown enamel wash which I then wiped off with first a large Q-tip soaked in mineral spirits and then, for the tricky areas, a smaller Tamiya hobby bud also soaked in mineral spirits.

DandyLion posted:

Your freehanding is superlative as well. Really just love everything about it.

Thanks! I feel like I'm getting there with the freehanding.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard
Is there any nice list of fash vs not-fash youtubers anywhere?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

I said come in! posted:

I really like that they did this, not just openly about it, but like "we don't want your money, you don't matter to us, go away."

I dont in the sense that its not nearly enough. If this was any other company I'm not sure such a glacial pace would be tolerated. I mean they get to keep people like loving Tony Cottrell at the top brass and people seem ok because they said something banal and non-committing on Twitter.

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Sep 3, 2020

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

tomdidiot posted:

Is there any nice list of fash vs not-fash youtubers anywhere?

Dana Howl is anti-fash enough that she opens most of her videos with "black lives matter get out nazi scum" and her hobby basics tutorial was incredibly incredibly helpful to me

Goobertown Hobbies made a great one hour video explaining why he supported GW's rejection of fascism and he likewise has a lot of great techniques he covers

I am not sure about lore youtube and to be honest I have given up on warhammer 40k lore videos and just rely on wikis instead because holy poo poo you can't get three minutes into any of these without a slur or pepe doing a /pol/ meme

Lori
Oct 6, 2011
Since I can replace <MARK OF CHAOS> with NURGLE, does that mean I could take a Chaos Space Marine unit in the same detachment as Chaos Daemons as long as they all have the NURGLE faction keyword?

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

RagnarokAngel posted:

I dont in the sense that its not nearly enough. If this was any other company I'm not sure such a glacial pace would be tolerated. I mean they get to keep people like loving Tony Cottrell at the top brass and people seem ok because they said something banal and non-committing on Twitter.

Literally the only reason Wizards stopped working with terese nielsen was because she sent a bunch of signed prints of art they commissioned to a QAnon youtuber and their statement was basically "we no longer work with this person and will not going forward" likewise with just about every other artist linked to white supremacy and while their recent decision to remove a bunch of cards with incredibly awful and racist art and premises was appreciated, the fact is: the 1488th unique card printed in Magic had a bunch of KKK members on it, was commissioned to a known white supremacist who has never been secret about his affiliations, made it to print, remained legal in play for more than two decades and even got a magic online reprint

Like I get what you're saying but this is a very old and deep problem in the hobby we are just starting to come out of the dark on and I honestly think GW is working a lot faster than almost everyone else at their scale; they are embarrassing Wizards of the Coast right now. They definitely need to keep going, so I'm not saying take the pressure off, but I gotta try to be optimistic at some point and I at least have a little hope,y'know?

Also part of me has gotta hope there's GW employees reading threads like this and I want them to always know that more options is appreciated especially here and also I'd buy those models and want those models and kind of expect those models and that's good data to have when you have it on a large scale

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Sep 3, 2020

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Mirthless posted:

Literally the only reason Wizards stopped working with terese nielsen was because she sent a bunch of signed prints of art they commissioned to a QAnon youtuber and their statement was basically "we no longer work with this person and will not going forward" likewise with just about every other artist linked to white supremacy and while their recent decision to remove a bunch of cards with incredibly awful and racist art and premises was appreciated the fact is, the 1488th unique card printed in Magic had a bunch of KKK members on it, was commissioned to a known white supremacist who has never been secret about his affiliations, made it to print, remained legal in play for more than two decades and even got a magic online reprint

Like I get what you're saying but this is a very old and deep problem in the hobby we are just starting to come out of the dark on and I honestly think GW is working a lot faster than almost everyone else at their scale and they are embarrassing Wizards of the Coast right now

I don't tolerate WotC poo poo either. The idea of "look comparatively its great!" is the exact issue I have. It's proof hams will take anything if you dress it up in a nice hashtag or put a minority on the cover of a novel like a prop, and excuse the disgusting business practices.

Tony Cottrell humiliated a loyal fan at a preview event because of his race and has faced zero repercussions. The man is a straight up racist and misogynist. And your answer is "look it could be worse so consider that?" Come on man. He did the loving KKK hooded figure which they only backtracked when people got mad, and he got to remain employed at his current position. So I'd argue at least Wizards did something.

Lori posted:

Since I can replace <MARK OF CHAOS> with NURGLE, does that mean I could take a Chaos Space Marine unit in the same detachment as Chaos Daemons as long as they all have the NURGLE faction keyword?

Legally yes, but you wouldn't be able to use any unique codex rules because those are continent on them all having the CHAOS DAEMONS keyword or the same Legion, so its not ideal.

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Sep 3, 2020

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Lori posted:

Yes.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
weird, sudden thought of "hey remember when *all* charges were 6 inches???

3 inches if there's terrain involved.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

RagnarokAngel posted:

I don't tolerate WotC poo poo either. The idea of "look comparitively its great!" is the exact issue I have. It's proof hams will take anything if you dress it up in a nice hashtag.

Like I don't know what you're expecting here though, they've had some leadership changes and made absolutely huge changes to the status quo of how they are targeting their product, and while they should absolutely fire tony cottrell, getting rid of executives is not as easy as it sounds, it can take months to clear people out depending on their contracts and the specifics and for all we know the papers to fire him are already being processed :shrug:

The statement they released and the steps they have taken are a lot more than a nice hashtag, they represent a fundamental risk to their business in the sense that they are actively alienating a large, vocal, outwardly expressing portion of the playerbase, what was formerly their primary word of mouth for their product. If the response from players wasn't positive it could have destroyed their business, and while the feeling there may be "so be it" IDK about the UK but in the US taking a step like this without measuring it carefully is definitely a breach of fiduciary responsibility which is a loving gross concept but :capitalism:

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Der Waffle Mous posted:

weird, sudden thought of "hey remember when *all* charges were 6 inches???

3 inches if there's terrain involved.

The glory days of 24 inch hormagaunt charges. Give me back my leaping upgrade warriors GW!

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Mirthless posted:

Like I don't know what you're expecting here though, they've had some leadership changes and made absolutely huge changes to the status quo of how they are targeting their product, and while they should absolutely fire tony cottrell, getting rid of executives is not as easy as it sounds, it can take months to clear people out depending on their contracts and the specifics and for all we know the papers to fire him are already being processed :shrug:

The statement they released and the steps they have taken are a lot more than a nice hashtag, they represent a fundamental risk to their business in the sense that they are actively alienating a large, vocal, outwardly expressing portion of the playerbase, what was formerly their primary word of mouth for their product. If the response from players wasn't positive it could have destroyed their business, and while the feeling there may be "so be it" IDK about the UK but in the US taking a step like this without measuring it carefully is definitely a breach of fiduciary responsibility which is a loving gross concept but :capitalism:

Oh right, dealing with racism is hard. I should be more understanding.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

RagnarokAngel posted:

I don't tolerate WotC poo poo either. The idea of "look comparatively its great!" is the exact issue I have. It's proof hams will take anything if you dress it up in a nice hashtag or put a minority on the cover of a novel like a prop, and excuse the disgusting business practices.

Tony Cottrell humiliated a loyal fan at a preview event because of his race and has faced zero repercussions. The man is a straight up racist and misogynist. And your answer is "look it could be worse so consider that?" Come on man. He did the loving KKK hooded figure which they only backtracked when people got mad, and he got to remain employed at his current position. So I'd argue at least Wizards did something.

Yeah, 25 years later and only in the sense that they choose to no longer work with specific freelancers they weren't employing to begin with and had no obligation to ever work with again. I appreciate what Wizards has done, but they still want to sell packs of cards to fascists, they still broke up the only front line canonically gay couple to please China, they haven't gotten rid of any of their problematic internal employees to my knowledge and the people who speak for the company still sidestep or outright ignore virtually anything people ask them to address. Nothing they have done so far has any financial impact on their game (all of the cards banned were already out of print and mostly useless) and represents no serious risk of alienation of the existing playerbase, as the only people who cared about those cards (collectors) saw them spike massively in value when they became historically relevant

I can't speak exactly for GW here but I worked in an executive support role for a number of years for a fairly large, publicly traded energy company and the number of documents I have seen that I shouldn't have, and conversations I have overheard because executives recognize me as a non-person, lead me to believe that firing anyone with any degree of power in a business like this is a nightmare clusterfuck that can take months and has deeper implications than are otherwise apparent

I refuse to reject real progress in this hobby based on the pace of corporate bureaucracy, that is a problem with our economic system. The people who are trying, keep trying, and take real risks at least deserve an acknowledgement. Because, unfortunately, in the dystopia we live in, we have to deal with the fact that fascists have money and represent a market and unfortunately they have controlled this market for a long time. Rejecting that group, explicitly, was bold. Taking steps to drastically change the direction of the story and lore to tone down facism and xenophobia, desexualize the SoB, and progress the story in a way that opens the door for change all represented a real risk to their business and it has to actually pay off for them to keep them on that track. We have to be the bigger market.

Dear GW: Keep making forward progress and I will keep buying your products, go back to the old poo poo or stagnate and I will just spend my money on something else

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Sep 3, 2020

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

RagnarokAngel posted:

Oh right, dealing with racism is hard. I should be more understanding.

You need to go into Company Settings > Sensitivity > Racism and click "off," but it'll make you re-enter your password and sometimes resets your Misogyny to the default value (Very.)

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Mirthless posted:

I refuse to reject real progress in this hobby based on the pace of corporate bureaucracy, that is a problem with our economic system. The people who are trying, keep trying, and take real risks at least deserve an acknowledgement. Because, unfortunately, in the dystopia we live in, we have to deal with the fact that fascists have money and represent a market and unfortunately they have controlled this market for a long time. Rejecting that group, explicitly, was bold. Taking steps to drastically change the direction of the story and lore to tone down facism and xenophobia, desexualize the SoB, and progress the story in a way that opens the door for change all represented a real risk to their business and it has to actually pay off for them to keep them on that track

Dear GW: Keep making forward progress and I will keep buying your products, go back to the old poo poo or stagnate and I will just spend my money on something else

They haven't done any of this, and the apologia is sickening. It's the same old poo poo, just space marines are less clearly fashy (now it's just ambiguously so) but get to keep all the fashy symbology so its very win win for their bottom line.

Maybe they can't fire Tony Cottrell, they could hire more diverse staff and have no interest in doing it. They continue to use the same cishet white male authors and have shown no intent to change that policy any time soon. All they've done is shove some token minorities up as props so liberal whites can feel better about it, without having to actually worry about any real change invading their hobby. Even if they added female space marines it'd still be written by the Gav Thorpes and Graham McNeil's of the world and that isn't progress at all. It's tokenism.

What you're doing is disgusting corporate dick sucking because it's a company you already like and you need to feel like some progress has been made. You think a goddamn tweet is praxis and evidence that GW took significant risks because they said such bold statements as "we think racism is bad!" You don't need to reject GW, I've come to accept my hobby isn't praxis and I can divorce them from my politics, but do not excuse this kinda poo poo or look to them as being some future bastion of open minded progressivism, its infuriating.

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Sep 3, 2020

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Cool.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

RagnarokAngel posted:

They haven't done any of this, and the apologia is sickening. It's the same old poo poo, just space marines are less clearly fashy (now it's just ambiguously so) but get to keep all the fashy symbology so its very win win for their bottom line.

Maybe they can't fire Tony Cottrell, they could hire more diverse staff and have no interest in doing it. They continue to use the same cishet white male authors and have shown no intent to change that policy any time soon. All they've done is shove some token minorities up as props so liberal whites can feel better about it, without having to actually worry about any real change invading their hobby. Even if they added female space marines it'd still be written by the Gav Thorpes and Graham McNeil's of the world and that isn't progress at all. It's tokenism.

What you're doing is disgusting corporate dick sucking because it's a company you already like and you need to feel like some progress has been made. You think a goddamn tweet is praxis and evidence that GW took significant risks because they said such bold statements as "we think racism is bad!" You don't need to reject GW, I've come to accept my hobby isn't praxis and I can divorce them from my politics, but do not excuse this kinda poo poo or look to them as being some future bastion of open minded progressivism, its infuriating.

Prior to about June 2020 I thought GW was poo poo and the last time I bought one of their products prior to Indomitus was about 2001

I'm not even disagreeing with you to any significant degree.

Sorry for the derail everybody, I shoulda just dropped it. I just wanted to talk about lady space marines. :(

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Sep 3, 2020

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
New compromise: all marines are now trans

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
They already are though

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

New homebrewed lore: Turns out that the Imperium gene tech to add a y chromosome to the xx combo and make it stable has been perfected! Congrats, we've doubled the availability of astartes conscripts.

Since aspirants go through genre therapy prior to puberty, I think you can just look at astartification as a gene enhanced replacement for puberty.
All aspirants turn into big hulking transhumans stuffed to the brim with various chemical cocktails anyway, so the height/mass will be the same across the board (deviations being wholly dependent on the legion geneseed used).
Hell, you don't have to change anything about the psychological aspects of the astartes either since you can just point to hypo-conditioning and handwave it away.

I mean honestly if AoS can get away with it 40k can too.
Hell I think that's how women are handled with the Goliath's in Necromunda, they're all just gene jacked monstrosities like the males.

The Demilich fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Sep 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The Battle Sisters box is super flexible since you can make like 3-4 different (meta playable) units out of it and it sells out within a day of being restocked on the GW store so I think it's safe to say that the Sisters are going to have a bit of continued support in the future? Also it seems like everyone dropped cash on the limited edition Sister too and that was Made To Order. I don't really know where I stand on this right now because female representation in Space Marines just sounds like "hire more women guards" to me

e: Space Marines are all sexless mutants anyway so you can just say actually we shove girls into the mutation chamber and they come out smooth jacked ken dolls