Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

trapped mouse posted:

No matter how many times I restart steam, I seem to be playing version 1.0.2 instead of 1.0.3. Am I missing something super obvious?

For anyone else who has this problem: restarting Steam like 4 times seemed to fix it. I have no idea why, but now I am playing on the correct version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Anyone else had that abduction issue? I'm not sure if it's a bug or if I did something wrong tbh.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I’ve learned that CK is basically just this tweet gameified:

https://twitter.com/screaminbutcalm/status/1105577845642878976?s=21

Jaytan
Dec 14, 2003

Childhood enlistment means fewer birthdays to remember

Qubee posted:

Will I eventually get to the point in this game where I'm experienced enough to be setting up marriages and doing a bunch of fancy poo poo without it taking up 90% of my conscious brain power? Cause right now I gotta focus so hard on making the right decisions, and even then I never know if it's the smart move. I want to play Ironman mode just because the thrill of knowing you've only got one shot at making it work will add a tonne of fun to the game, but I'm definitely not at that stage, cause my fuckups are innumerable. I may have disinherited my heir and executed my youngest son as an old man, to pave the way for my chosen son.

You should make the jump to ironman! It is generally pretty hard to game over once you have the game down (in broad strokes!). If you do manage to game over you can continue as a new ruler including the person who takes over your primary title.

Swedish Horror posted:

Does anyone know if getting higher techs means you don't need to get the corresponding lower tech? Example, if I get Castle Baileys, do I unlock the buildings that Burhs would've given me?

No, but you get a bonus when researching techs from an era prior to the one you are currently in.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Black Griffon posted:

Did my first proper land grab, but it's been years since I played CKII, and now I have these useless, inconsequential mayor-vassals who all hate me and want a spot on my council. How do I deal with them? Revoke their titles and give them to my existing councilmembers? Try to be friends? Ignore them?

You can safely ignore powerful mayors. Since they only own cities, even if they all faction together they don't have enough power to actually do anything. Once you get larger they'll be replaced by properly annoying actually powerful counts/dukes/kings who want council seats despite having terrible stats. At which point you just have to balance good councillor stats versus having vassals who hate you.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Zeron posted:

You can safely ignore powerful mayors. Since they only own cities, even if they all faction together they don't have enough power to actually do anything. Once you get larger they'll be replaced by properly annoying actually powerful counts/dukes/kings who want council seats despite having terrible stats. At which point you just have to balance good councillor stats versus having vassals who hate you.

Ah, good. Is there any point to replacing them with people I like though?

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Help, my daughter spymaster discovered all my best knights are sodomites.

Is is possible for spymasters to lie to their liege if their intrigue is high enough?

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

I have some commoners in prison. What do I get out of torturing them? It's off character for my current guy to do that but my heir would love it.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Black Griffon posted:

Ah, good. Is there any point to replacing them with people I like though?

Not really, maybe a minor boost in levies/taxes for a short bit? At a count level you can mistreat mayors all you want, but it'll backfire if you keep doing it once you get larger. Also looking closer those vassals actually have really good stats so it might be worth putting them on the council for now anyway.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Zeron posted:

Not really, maybe a minor boost in levies/taxes for a short bit? At a count level you can mistreat mayors all you want, but it'll backfire if you keep doing it once you get larger. Also looking closer those vassals actually have really good stats so it might be worth putting them on the council for now anyway.

Oh poo poo, I hadn't even looked at that. I think Bodil might have a bright future in the Icelandic Empire.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
I've kicked scotland off the emerald isle, taken over whales. My daughter is married to the King of England (who keeps dragging me into wars over some godforsaken spit of land in scandinavia)

England is my bro, he conquered Norway and Denmark and always has my back. The scottish-frankish-iberian power block has been tough to crack, but thousands are dying in chipping away at scottish territory.

But man, Scotland just seems to have my number even if I'm winning wars. he just uncovered that my son and heir is the product of my wife cheating on me with the bishop. I've already imprisoned and tortured him, but now I gotta decide if I keep it up with my true bloodline or just stay with the bastard heir who has pretty good stats. My other sons are dolts

Next succession is going to be a rough one, but definitely keeps the game interesting

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Another quick question about all the complexities of nordic rule: Any downside to making my husband a vassal? Would it be better to grant the lands to one of my sons? Does it really matter?

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Gorman Thomas posted:

Help, my daughter spymaster discovered all my best knights are sodomites.

Is is possible for spymasters to lie to their liege if their intrigue is high enough?

I mean, one of the (intrigue?) lifestyle perks allows you to fabricate secrets, so it is technically possible that she's just making poo poo up and tattling to you about it.

(Are you sure she's not just sending you her fanfiction scripts?)

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

SubNat posted:

I mean, one of the (intrigue?) lifestyle perks allows you to fabricate secrets, so it is technically possible that she's just making poo poo up and tattling to you about it.

(Are you sure she's not just sending you her fanfiction scripts?)

"Dad, I tried hitting on all your hot knights and they just ignored me, they must be gay"

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Currently playing a drunken obese depressive recluse who went insane due to being imprisoned for most of her childhood (i was slow paying the ransom) and became queen by killing her two half-brothers, respectively 11 and 5. By the time I took over everyone hated her, so I tried to kill myself but a courtier stopped me. It worked out though because I won the ensuing rebellion and then my only friend helped me hook up with a hot guy.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
So when an independence faction forces 'Autonomous Vassals' on me.... what does that do? It says they can do what they want, but I can't find any law screen or way to repeal it.

EDIT: Oh, it lowers crown authority one point

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

He did what

So I guess in the right circumstances champions are insanely OP

And finally, the greatest love poem of the century;

I love this game so much :allears:

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Quick question about Ireland -

Athlone is considered "The Grand City of Athlone" instead of the Earldom of Athlone. My vassal there is a Lord-Mayor and not an Earl. Is this just a quirk of Athlone in that it has cities instead of baronies?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I feel like "head ripped off" must be something unique for berserkers, usually it's not so descriptive.

AndrewP posted:

Quick question about Ireland -

Athlone is considered "The Grand City of Athlone" instead of the Earldom of Athlone. My vassal there is a Lord-Mayor and not an Earl. Is this just a quirk of Athlone in that it has cities instead of baronies?

That just means that somehow the Mayor (city holding owner) became head of the county.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I haven’t been so into a strategy game in years. The last two nights have ended with me realizing it’s like 2 am and I should get some sleep. I get why people tell stories about this game now.

I’m still on my tutorial campaign, about a hundred years in. After uniting the Irish kingdom without any real challenge, Murdach spent the next 20 years turning into an absolute beast of a war lord, but I was never really able to turn it into any territorial expansion. His final war was against both England and Alba, and that was ultimately his downfall. We were all fielding a couple thousand troops, but England had stack of 5k.

The real problem started, though, when first Murdoch’s son and then his grandson died, leaving a 2 year old heir to the throne. And then Murdoch died in battle. I was considering just giving up, like I would have with CK2, but decided to stick it out. The little boy ended up losing his kingdom to his aunt in a civil war when he was about 8, but he kept his great-grandfather’s ancestral lands, and just built from there. He ended up making it to adulthood and rebuilding the relationship with his aunt, who made him her spymaster. Once he had secured the election (tanistry) he murdered her and took back his kingdom.

Having climbed back to the top of Ireland, the new king was still facing down an allied Alba and England, so he had to look elsewhere for prospects. And sure enough, the pope came calling with a crusade. Sending the couple thousand troops he could muster and his great uncle (his friend, his Marshall, practically a father to him) he came away as the beneficiary of a successful bid for Jerusalem. The great uncle took over Jerusalem and the king went back to his own affairs. Things just kind of settled from there as I looked for places to get claims and tried to deal with England, but then the great uncle died childless while in the middle of an Arabian war, and sure enough the kingdom of Jerusalem went to my king. He won the war and consolidated his hold on Jerusalem, and is now the major catholic power in the area.

In addition to all that stuff my dude is a witch and is converting not only his own family, but has also converted the pope. Gonna get that witch coven.

My current plan is to take either Brittany or Alba, but it’s slow getting claims sorted out for those. England is off limits at the HRE conquered them about a decade ago. I’ll try to hold on to the Irish Kingdom of Jerusalem for as long as I can but the sultanates surrounding me seem really strong, so not sure how long it will last.

And my guy has like 10 kids (but his heir has zero) so the succession is going to be a gong show.

This game rules.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
Can anyone tell my dumb rear end where I can make my ruler not lead armies? It doesn’t seem like it’s on the character sheet like in 2.

It’s a bummer because my rulers martial is like 19 he’s a real beast, but he’s still young with a super stacked wife, and my heir is a loving moron idiot. I would like to create the kingdom before dipshit takes over, or before I am able to kill dipshit in hopes my second son comes out okay.

I also can’t figure out where to enable tanistry as Ireland. Is it possible, or is it just called something else?

E: never mind checked the wiki. Didn’t realize the title succession law was different

Tetramin fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Sep 3, 2020

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Some things that are annoying me and seem like downgrades from the previous game:

-Why is there no "call allies to war" button? I have to click on each ally individually and ask them?
-Why is the allied AI so terrible? I started a war and had overwhelming superiority with my allies armies but then they just sort of sailed away and left me to fight alone. In the previous game you could at least press the "attach to army" button and expect them to do so.
-Seriously, why can't I press D to Detach Siege like literally every Paradox game ever made?
-How did they manage to make the UI even worst, it's all menus nested with menus

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The only UI thing that's regularly bothering me is the unfurling scroll at the top center of the screen, and which you can't click off, covers up the action items

MelancholyMark
May 5, 2009

Tetramin posted:

Can anyone tell my dumb rear end where I can make my ruler not lead armies? It doesn’t seem like it’s on the character sheet like in 2.

It’s a bummer because my rulers martial is like 19 he’s a real beast, but he’s still young with a super stacked wife, and my heir is a loving moron idiot. I would like to create the kingdom before dipshit takes over, or before I am able to kill dipshit in hopes my second son comes out okay.

I also can’t figure out where to enable tanistry as Ireland. Is it possible, or is it just called something else?

E: never mind checked the wiki. Didn’t realize the title succession law was different

You can click on the army and hit the circular arrow looking icon in the bottom left to select a different commander if that's what you wanna do. I'm having the opposite problem where I can't figure out why my heir isn't on the possible commander list, anyone know what could stop him from appearing there?

Lobstertainment
Jun 10, 2004

So I just had this happen. Declared war on Scotland as Ireland, defeat their main army and siege a city. Their survivors sail to my capital and besiege it, I sail all the way back and beat them again. Sail back to Scotland, resume my siege, the survivors besiege my capital again! I sail back, beat them again, they sail off somewhere.

So I sail back, again, to Scotland, win the original siege, warscore is +23%, I move to the next province. They besiege my capital again...... So I think screw it, keep going lad. They take my capital, - 100% I lose the war lol.

What could I have done better / differently?.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

UrbicaMortis posted:

Currently playing a drunken obese depressive recluse who went insane due to being imprisoned for most of her childhood (i was slow paying the ransom) and became queen by killing her two half-brothers, respectively 11 and 5. By the time I took over everyone hated her, so I tried to kill myself but a courtier stopped me. It worked out though because I won the ensuing rebellion and then my only friend helped me hook up with a hot guy.

Ah, to be sixteen again.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

What benefit can seducing someone give that sway doesn't?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The only UI thing that's regularly bothering me is the unfurling scroll at the top center of the screen, and which you can't click off, covers up the action items

You can right-click to make it disappear, but it's pretty finicky about where you click. I recommend not having an army selected while doing so.

That is my only big complaint about the UI, which is generally quite good; certain things are very finicky about where you click on them in non-intuitive ways.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Sep 3, 2020

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි

a7m2 posted:

Having kids.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Sway, Seduce, and Befriend all stack, right?

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

a7m2 posted:

An ablative lover that can throw themselves on assassin daggers for you.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Lord Mune, can you congratulate the artists who did the oil-painting-like load screens? They're gorgeous.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

a7m2 posted:

Successful seduce/befriend will prevent vassals from joining factions, sway won't.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

bewilderment posted:

Hey so here's a challenge for you.
867 start, pick Chieftain Jaromil in what is IRL northern Poland. He's independent but only count-level.

Try not to game over in, like, under 10 years.

I gave it a couple of shots but it's impossible, he's everyone's whipping boy but at the same time the conditions aren't right to swear fealty to anyone either.

this is an awesome starting point. sometimes I am able to take the island of Gotland before one of the bigger powers arounds me declares war and starts pounding my poo poo in. my survival is basically dependent on getting a good, close alliance out of my marriage so it's been a difficult few attempts

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Ahhhh I think i figured out how to work Confederate Partition. All you have to do is get enough titles for each of your sons EASY! :ohdear:

Or you could just Disinherit your extra sons. Just make sure you dont get enough land to create or usurp other king titles.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Lobstertainment posted:

So I just had this happen. Declared war on Scotland as Ireland, defeat their main army and siege a city. Their survivors sail to my capital and besiege it, I sail all the way back and beat them again. Sail back to Scotland, resume my siege, the survivors besiege my capital again! I sail back, beat them again, they sail off somewhere.

So I sail back, again, to Scotland, win the original siege, warscore is +23%, I move to the next province. They besiege my capital again...... So I think screw it, keep going lad. They take my capital, - 100% I lose the war lol.

What could I have done better / differently?.

Split your army? Press the "leave beseigers behind" button when you go to defend?

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I discovered what's wrong with Scandinavian Elective: It only applies to England, not to any of it's component titles. As a result, it's basically a trap option that just fragments the realm even further because it operates on different rules than all the Partition based duchies.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

a7m2 posted:

To add to the babies and scabies, also like four times the opinion points per scheme (you can repeat sway so you can balance that out eventually, tbf).

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

its 1071 and the empress Djeneba of Hausaland controls 100,000 soldiers!

is there a ledger anywhere i can check my strength ranking?

e: i'd quite like some better controls for splitting armies. especially the way currently you cant bulk transfer champions you have to do it one at a time and it resets the list every time
at the moment with my enormous tribal army i basically make two medium sized superior quality armies and two enormous hordes of tribal levies then roam around leaving only enough to siege each province

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Sep 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobstertainment
Jun 10, 2004

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Split your army? Press the "leave beseigers behind" button when you go to defend?

Lol both of those options I didn't know existed sounds like they would have done the trick.