Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Feels like insurance should have probably known about that.

Edit: That's addressed in the article. Apparently big movies just don't care about insurance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

that article posted:

But film finance attorney Schuyler Moore says a Marvel star wouldn’t likely require a medical examination for insurance purposes.

I can buy that for most movies but I can't believe a role like a superhero that probably requires a whole bunch of physical training wouldn't require an exam. Wild.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

TwoPair posted:

I can buy that for most movies but I can't believe a role like a superhero that probably requires a whole bunch of physical training wouldn't require an exam. Wild.

It's wild that he was when able to do all this while he was sick. I mean, who would have even thought to give him a cancer screening?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Barry Convex posted:

no news on what Marvel Studios is actually going to do (obviously, given that it's only been a few days), but it's surprising that Boseman was apparently able to keep his diagnosis from everyone at Marvel and Disney

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1301168805759115266

I remember reading an article about UK actor Frazer Hines (Doctor Who, Outlander) who had battled cancer for a decade. He would go in for treatment in the mornings, then go off and do TV appearances or perform in stage plays later that day. He never told anyone until well after he got the all-clear, because he knew that if it got out, he wouldn't get any work, because no one would want to risk hiring him.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
But also: Good for him, there's no reason why your job needs to know your private health information unless you want them too.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's not like they could force him to give up his blood. His doctors likely agreed that he was fit and healthy enough when he was cast and that was enough.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Soonmot posted:

But also: Good for him, there's no reason why your job needs to know your private health information unless you want them too.

I think being a top-billed actor on a film is a little different. If you get hurt it's going to shut down production and impact a lot of other people. This isn't blaming Boseman, it's just very complicated and we obviously don't know the full details. If he was healthy enough to get cleared by his doctors then whatever.

Arist fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Sep 2, 2020

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Arist posted:

I think being a top-billed actor on a film is a little different. If you get hurt it's going to shut down production and impact a lot of other people. This isn't blaming Boseman, it's just very complicated and we obviously don't know the full details. If he was healthy enough to get cleared by his doctors then whatever.

Your health is still a personal matter. No one except you has the right to know if your sick or why you're sick.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I'm sure they just assume that if you're accepting the pre production training regimen they force on all the mcu actors, and you complete it successfully, that you're healthy enough to do the movie

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yeah, I don't have cancer and I couldn't do that poo poo if you put a gun to my head.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Let's say Disney knew about his diagnosis (I doubt they did though, but let's just say they did). That would mean that they probably put together a plan in case the unthinkable happened, but it would be bad optics to announce that plan so soon. Best to just act like you're reeling and trying to figure it out, all the while knowing exactly how you're going to proceed. Business is business, especially if you're a multi-national megacorporation.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

I understand the struggle to keep going when there's such sadness and turmoil now, but when the dust settles, they've got four films and doubtless a bunch of extra footage to mine dialogue from, and the character wore a full body suit. They can still give him a big battle out before he's dramatically murdered by... Doom or Namor or whatever, then one CGI or recycled footage face shot, one Iron Man sized funeral, and Shuri invents a nanotech fluid approximation of the flowers and goes after justice. She doesn't even need to be the leader of Wakanda, she's already got the know how and she already made all the tech stuff anyway. Nakia, also consumed by grief and anger, is her new partner.

Comedy side note is M'Baku, forced to take charge but still honor T'Challa's mandates for growth, while really wanting to just shut everything down and get back to the Jabari. Okoye keeps him on track, and works with him when they fight Kiber the Cruel, recontextualized as an ever harder line Jabari traditionalist.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Have Michael B. Jordan take over as T'Challa.

(Not Killmonger.)

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Aphrodite posted:

(Not Killmonger.)
I woke up to an article where John Boyega called Disney Execs out for giving all the story to the white kids in the movie and sidelining the poc, and I think he'd do wonderful things if he has as much input at Boseman apparently did.

But since Marvel is a Disney joint...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

theironjef posted:

I understand the struggle to keep going when there's such sadness and turmoil now, but when the dust settles, they've got four films and doubtless a bunch of extra footage to mine dialogue from, and the character wore a full body suit. They can still give him a big battle out before he's dramatically murdered by... Doom or Namor or whatever, then one CGI or recycled footage face shot, one Iron Man sized funeral, and Shuri invents a nanotech fluid approximation of the flowers and goes after justice. She doesn't even need to be the leader of Wakanda, she's already got the know how and she already made all the tech stuff anyway. Nakia, also consumed by grief and anger, is her new partner.

Comedy side note is M'Baku, forced to take charge but still honor T'Challa's mandates for growth, while really wanting to just shut everything down and get back to the Jabari. Okoye keeps him on track, and works with him when they fight Kiber the Cruel, recontextualized as an ever harder line Jabari traditionalist.

I feel like "getting murderer by a villain to put over how badass they are, especially if said villain is portrayed by a white actor" is absolutely 100% the wrong loving way to handle it.

FilthyImp posted:

I woke up to an article where John Boyega called Disney Execs out for giving all the story to the white kids in the movie and sidelining the poc, and I think he'd do wonderful things if he has as much input at Boseman apparently did.

John Boyega got hosed over so hard and it's 100% understandable that he'd be pissed.

I mean admittedly so did every actor who wasn't Adam Driver but Boyega more than most.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

FilthyImp posted:

I feel like even though Marvel is under Disney, that Feige makes a shitload of difference. I haven't heard a bad thing about the guy and as the moves have more success, he seems to be genuine in wanting to have more diversity and let the directors have freedom to put their own touches on the films. I imagine working under a Marvel film would be different from working under Kennedy.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Feige doesn't report to any of the people Boyega would have issues with, so it's not impossible no.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

ImpAtom posted:

John Boyega got hosed over so hard and it's 100% understandable that he'd be pissed.

I mean admittedly so did every actor who wasn't Adam Driver but Boyega more than most.

Even Adam Driver was kinda just making the most of what he had. Kylo Ren having literally no lines for the last third of the film is so weird.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Aphrodite posted:

(Not Killmonger.)

Could they resurrect and redeem Killmonger, I wonder

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Aphrodite posted:

(Not Killmonger.)

Go with the Face/Off route? I agree.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Just make it Shuri

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Fangz posted:

Could they resurrect and redeem Killmonger, I wonder

Resurrect? Absolutely. Redeem? I don't think so. It's not that Killmonger is beyond redemption, but it feels like something he doesn't even want. I'm not saying he would have fought alongside Thanos in Endgame, but as soon as the dust settled he'd be back to plotting the overthrow of oppressive (white) governments. He's that good kind of villain that is right in his vision, if not in his method. Overthrowing racist governments and bringing freedom to oppressed people - Good goal. Achieving that goal by use of overwhelming technological force - Efficient, but problematic.

If somehow death changed him in such a way that he still fights for freedom for belittled people, and even specifically black people, but his approach is more nuanced, and a little less murder-y then maybe. I'm all for more Michael B Jordan, and I want more Black Panther, but I don't know if those should be combined in that way.

However, if we are looking at a re-cast, what about wildcard Ray Fisher? Get some good press by hiring on the guy snubbed by DC/WB and was treated lovely by execs/Wheadon to hear him tell it. And since the DCCU is probably not going to keep half the JL stuff it might be a good boost for his career.

The bad part is of course having to try and fill in the void left by Boseman as someone upthread mentioned who ever does it is going to be under a lot of scrutiny.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Jesus christ The Batman shut down again due to COVID

because Robert Pattinson got it

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2020/09/robert-pattinson-the-batman-coronavirus

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That means he probably caught if before they resumed and spread it all over too.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yeah that’s not a great situation

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Arist posted:

Jesus christ The Batman shut down again due to COVID

because Robert Pattinson got it

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2020/09/robert-pattinson-the-batman-coronavirus

Can't wait to see Tenet in a theater this weekend, oh boy!

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

god drat it, the batman

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I suppose Batman's mask *does* fail to cover up his mouth...

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

If he was playing Moon Knight like he should be instead this might not have happened

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Wonder if this will lead to mandatory cancer screenings on studio productions

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

The producers might want something like that but a policy change along those lines would have to be negotiated with SAG-AFTRA I'd imagine, and hopefully we'd vote that down.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Fangz posted:

I suppose Batman's mask *does* fail to cover up his mouth...
Didn't they just put out an animated PSA that made this exact point?

Hakkesshu posted:

Wonder if this will lead to mandatory cancer screenings on studio productions
I'd have thought they would have contingencies for a sudden death, at least for cinematic universes. What if an actor gets hit by a bus? Or you know, gets COVID?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Imagine you get a big break out role as a lead in a new marvel movie, but then they do a cancer screening and that's how you find out you have terminal cancer.

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

Retro Futurist posted:

Imagine you get a big break out role as a lead in a new marvel movie, but then they do a cancer screening and that's how you find out you have terminal cancer.

To: Kumail@gmail.com
Subject: IDEA For the Big Sick 2!!! 😛

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I have a friend who used to do insurance for films (mostly tv) and such so I will ask her and get back to you guys about the insurance aspect.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/ray8fisher/status/1301949796081696769?s=19

I am getting the very real feeling Ray is torching his DC career here, but good for him

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's really interesting to me that they'd go full damage control mode and actively seek to protect Johns by going full in on blaming the others. Like, of course they'd do that, but also, woooooooow

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

GJ obviously means a great deal to them considering all the projects he has ongoing and being one of the biggest names in comics, so its as unsurprising as it is disappointing they try to cover his arse.

In addition to Ray's thing there were also several women accusing him of inappropriate behavior on IG and twitter, for whatever that's worth.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Joss is already toast career wise so it makes sense DC would try to use him as a scapegoat, but good on Ray for telling them to gently caress off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

McCloud posted:

https://twitter.com/ray8fisher/status/1301949796081696769?s=19

I am getting the very real feeling Ray is torching his DC career here, but good for him
I feel like peace of mind (and preventing similar situations from happening) is worth whatever lackluster DC projects were on the plate anyway.