Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Gaupo Guacho posted:

lol does this guy do anything besides deny war crimes and genocide and call it anti-imperialism
loving hate people who deny things that are clearly not true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
https://twitter.com/ajenglish/status/1301452422146076673?s=21 I think this was obvious but it’s still interesting

MacPac
Jun 2, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Got any recomendations for a xi jinping biography? It sounds like a interesting story after hearing the chapo boys talking about him on the latest episode.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Gaupo Guacho posted:

lol does this guy do anything besides deny war crimes and genocide and call it anti-imperialism

considering the overwheming stance of most popular english media is state dept propaganda uncritically repeated, i appreciate that aaron mate’s wheelhouse is attempting to counter that. there’s a near monopoly of pro-“five eyes” foreign policy reporting, without a single dissenting viewpoint

also the stuff he’s specifically arguing against in what you quoted is obviously insane

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

China/pakistan - india/us cold proxy hot war lets go!

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
this guy is actually very pro-china, but it's funny to describe yourself as a "veteran" because you live somewhere. do you get a medal?

yeah, i'm a veteran. china veteran. i've had a tough time shaking off the memories, although there's no dearth of stories to tell. there was the terrified young man who served alongside me until he shopped-till-he-dropped on nanjing road in shanghai. there was the recruit who keeled over and bursted from all the cheap eats. in the decade after, i could only capture the memories, tame them, inside sketch-filled journals...

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

this guy is actually very pro-china, but it's funny to describe yourself as a "veteran" because you live somewhere. do you get a medal?

yeah, i'm a veteran. china veteran. i've had a tough time shaking off the memories, although there's no dearth of stories to tell. there was the terrified young man who served alongside me until he shopped-till-he-dropped on nanjing road in shanghai. there was the recruit who keeled over and bursted from all the cheap eats. in the decade after, i could only capture the memories, tame them, inside sketch-filled journals...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/China_Hands

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Cao Ni Ma posted:

China/pakistan - india/us cold proxy hot war lets go!

A proxy war between pakistan's and india would probably immediately go nuclear lol

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
India and Pakistan has been fighting in their Kashmir border every month and there is soldiers killed every month. Nuclear weapon has been able to keep the world superpowers starting direct hot war for 8 decades but for some reason it doesn't stop Indo-pak shooting at each other. The nuclear weapon probably won't stop Sino-India border skirmish go hot either. Although with winter coming very soon I have to question what's India's logic of escalating the conflict. Maybe both sides should just lay mines around the LAC and call it a day. That place is so cold nobody lives there.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx has issued a correction as of 05:31 on Mar 23, 2021

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Lol, America's history is defined by it's policy to only support foreign democratic movements when it aligns with it's own economic interests. But I'm sure HK will be different.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
any good resources on current events in vietnam?

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
i was reading about vietnam's local car manufacturer, and apparently vietnam has a billionaire now and i was reading about his conglomerate and jesus that's a wide range of business to run

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

stephenthinkpad posted:

India has been trying to walk its own path of "non aligned movement" ever since its first PM Nehru. This movement has its own logic because it's a group of formerly colonized people trying to build their countries in their own ways and it made India the de facto leader.

If the Hindu nationalist BJP wants to throw that all away and join the "NATO East" its real stupid of Modi. Because it loses your ambiguity and makes you officially join the Team US. But in fact at the present time, the Indian economy and the Chinese economy don't really compete. They are more complementary in many areas such as the Indian generic drug industry heavily rely on Chinese sourced ingredients. China is also no longer just an exporter of cheap goods, China is now a world leader in everything infrastructure building related. India is a country that BADLY needs infrastructure upgrades. If you are going to build all your highways, subways, trains and 5G networks without the help of Chinese companies it's going to make everything way more expensive. This is something neither Japan not the US can help India. For example, see the Japanese high-speed rail project in India has been a disaster. Indian railways already kill hundreds of people every year at slow speed. Don't google Indian train accident news if you don't have the stomach.

china's also allowing the yuan to strengthen

quote:

Beijing is allowing faster gains in the yuan as it seeks to cheapen imports and bolster weak consumer spending.

That’s one theory touted by DBS Bank Ltd. and Mizuho Bank Ltd., who say a stronger yuan is ideal for Beijing at a time when Chinese President Xi Jinping is pushing for a more self-reliant economy. That marks a shift from when officials worried that a strong yuan would undercut the nation’s exports to the world.

if india and china could normalize relations they'd probably benefit as china tries to grow domestic consumption and imports, getting drawn into the new cold war with a nuclear armed neighbour for the benefit of the usa seems like a bad proposition.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

THS posted:

considering the overwheming stance of most popular english media is state dept propaganda uncritically repeated, i appreciate that aaron mate’s wheelhouse is attempting to counter that. there’s a near monopoly of pro-“five eyes” foreign policy reporting, without a single dissenting viewpoint

also the stuff he’s specifically arguing against in what you quoted is obviously insane

very important to hear both sides and to be fed russian imperialist propaganda to outweigh the state department propaganda

Gas pipeline is good and strong and my friend

https://twitter.com/BenjaminNorton/status/1301535177693433858?s=20

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
you'd think that if they were actually trying to get Navalny he'd have keeled over by now

Georgi Markov looking down from heaven looking forlorn at IMPOTENT KGB POISON with a syringe labeled NEWFANGLED NOVICHOK GIZMO

Corner Kelly: a-SAD-ssination!

Gaupo Guacho
Aug 5, 2010

by Pragmatica

Somaen posted:

very important to hear both sides and to be fed russian imperialist propaganda to outweigh the state department propaganda

Gas pipeline is good and strong and my friend

https://twitter.com/BenjaminNorton/status/1301535177693433858?s=20
everything I don't like is a false flag, basic marxism theory praxis class analysis.

Nord stream 2 is going through no matter what, no one gives a gently caress about navalny lol.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
*after 30th government adversary is maimed or killed* but can we be really sure that this isn't some rogue nut ordering this that will never be found? im sure putin is FURIOUS for how bad this makes him look

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

the Cold War continues

https://twitter.com/WilliamYang120/status/1301047220448321537
https://twitter.com/Bob237874/status/1301681326228041729

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Why would the Germans throw billions of investment away in Nordstream2 just because Putin poison a guy? Putin poisoned a few people already before Nordstream2. Germany already gotten 1/3 of the American soldiers out of Germany military bases, there is no going back.

Also Xi is going to visit Europe supposedly end of this month. If Xi can get this visit off smoothly and announce a few business projects with Germany and France before the US election, it's very significant for both China and EU foreign relation.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

stephenthinkpad posted:

Why would the Germans throw billions of investment away in Nordstream2 just because Putin poison a guy? Putin poisoned a few people already before Nordstream2. Germany already gotten 1/3 of the American soldiers out of Germany military bases, there is no going back.

the point is that these anti-imperialist journalists are extremely worried about this specific fossil fuel project, like to a comical level where it's clear that the guy is paid by the russian government

Edit: not just this guy but the whole grayzone crew

Somaen has issued a correction as of 12:04 on Sep 4, 2020

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

mila kunis posted:

china's also allowing the yuan to strengthen

if india and china could normalize relations they'd probably benefit as china tries to grow domestic consumption and imports, getting drawn into the new cold war with a nuclear armed neighbour for the benefit of the usa seems like a bad proposition.

I don’t see relations warming between India and China in the near future due to China’s and Pakistan’s close relations and the current clashes along the border. I don’t think they’ll be war, but I don’t see things improving with the current leadership.

I have noticed the strengthening of the yuan and was wondering why that was. I wonder how much it’ll be allowed to strengthen. It reached $1 =¥6.28 a little over to years ago.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-09-03/china-is-said-to-plan-broad-chip-sector-support-to-counter-trump?srnd=technology-vp

China’s gonna pour $1.4 trillion into its domestic semiconductor industry to counter the bans the US is imposing on Huawai and other Chinese companies.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Somaen posted:

the point is that these anti-imperialist journalists are extremely worried about this specific fossil fuel project, like to a comical level where it's clear that the guy is paid by the russian government

Maybe he's angling for another very real award for his very real journalism

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I think if you were looking for a more cutting criticism of Aaron Mate, this would be a better example of bad politics:

https://twitter.com/aaronjmate/status/1299792340396240898

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/mainohenning/status/1259772370220249088?s=20

i dont agree with the intent of the tweet in regards to saying that the japanese did not commit an imperialism in korea im just scratching my head trying to figure out how or why twitters censor algorithm thought i would be triggered by these pictures of a century year old elementary school alphabet textbook

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

Hedenius posted:

loving hate people who deny things that are clearly not true

China cant fail, it can only be failed.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/vicjkim/status/1301695654872276993?p=v

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Somaen posted:

everyone who disagrees with me is a russian bot. no one can have contrary opinions or viewpoints on the world. they probably have Kompromat on max blumenthal

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

THS posted:

everyone who disagrees with me is a russian bot. no one can have contrary opinions or viewpoints on the world. they probably have Kompromat on max blumenthal

But everyone else is taking ned money

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

THS posted:

Yes, a normal person not paid to do it has all these leftist reasons to feel strongly about and support building the natural gas pipeline Nord Stream 2:

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Somaen posted:

Yes, a normal person not paid to do it has all these leftist reasons to feel strongly about and support building the natural gas pipeline Nord Stream 2:

it’s only so Europe can stop relying on the US and the Middle East for oil (and in turn shaping their domestic and foreign policies).

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Continuity RCP posted:

But everyone else is taking ned money

well there’s actually evidence for bellingcat and the more unhinged uyghur holocaust guys taking state dept money. do you have evidence that someone is pumping rubles into ben norton’s bank account

THS
Sep 15, 2017

greyzone has a patreon with 455 contributors. assuming not every contributor is paying the minimum that’s probably $6000 a month. blumenthal probably doesn’t need the money personally because his dad is soaked in dnc blood money so it’s not like we need to make up nefarious funding sources here

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Some Guy TT posted:

https://twitter.com/mainohenning/status/1259772370220249088?s=20

i dont agree with the intent of the tweet in regards to saying that the japanese did not commit an imperialism in korea im just scratching my head trying to figure out how or why twitters censor algorithm thought i would be triggered by these pictures of a century year old elementary school alphabet textbook

I remember people got mad about Final Fantasy XIV having Taisho era cosmetic costumes and they were saying it was racist against Koreans because it was the standard public school uniform everyone wore in the Japanese Empire. If I remember correctly they just made it look different in Korea when people complained but yeah, the Korea/Japan Internet fights get crazy.

The official Japanese policy was to teach using Hangul, because they felt it was similar to Kana, but Korean education was banned in 1938 as the Second Sino-Japanese War ramped up and Korean language publications were banned in 1941. Before the Japanese occupation, most Koreans wrote using Hanja, the Korean version of Hanzi, and it was still pretty common immediately after WWII for older people. For instance I believe Kim Il-Sung wrote primarily in Hanja during the Korean War. It's a weird thing to be triggered by but I'm assuming Twitter just does this for Japan/Korea stuff because of experience.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

mila kunis posted:

i was reading about vietnam's local car manufacturer, and apparently vietnam has a billionaire now and i was reading about his conglomerate and jesus that's a wide range of business to run

more 👏 communist 👏 billionaires👏

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

THS posted:

greyzone has a patreon with 455 contributors. assuming not every contributor is paying the minimum that’s probably $6000 a month. blumenthal probably doesn’t need the money personally because his dad is soaked in dnc blood money so it’s not like we need to make up nefarious funding sources here

i see, the guys are probably simply a flavor of leftist not concerned with fossil fuel use and just excited about the german consumer getting cheap natural gas from a reliable anti-imperial power, which by the way DEFINITELY DID NOT POISON the leader of the opposition who also no one likes anyway

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Somaen posted:

i see, the guys are probably simply a flavor of leftist not concerned with fossil fuel use and just excited about the german consumer getting cheap natural gas from a reliable anti-imperial power, which by the way DEFINITELY DID NOT POISON the leader of the opposition who also no one likes anyway

this is whataboutism

Malkina_
May 13, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Somaen posted:

Lol please stop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
evil Russian natgas vs pure holy American shale