Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Wild T posted:

They asked for that guidance in writing, I told them to look at the application they signed where it outlined all of it. It ain't exactly the Apple Terms of Service, it's like a page and a half and pretty clear-cut.

No I meant you should have put in writing that you hand-held them through the process so that when they inevitably gently caress up and claim they weren't told correctly you can throw them to the loving wolves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
True, though my boss trusts me enough that if I tell her I briefed someone and that they signed that agreement, it's generally good enough for her. I'll let her hash that out with the other commander about how their troop shot themselves in the foot.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
While it's never great when people sign stuff without understanding it, which is not the case here, it's still in writing and if you're eligible to be a member of the armed forces you're eligible to read the drat black and white. Always blew my mind people were so bad at that stuff.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

maffew buildings posted:

While it's never great when people sign stuff without understanding it, which is not the case here, it's still in writing and if you're eligible to be a member of the armed forces you're eligible to read the drat black and white. Always blew my mind people were so bad at that stuff.

Gaze into the barracks parking lot at all the uninsured 29% APR Mustangs.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Am I the idiot for trying to engage with boogaloos and chuds in my unit in good faith? They're exhausting but I don't want to give up on them. Even if we're back to one weekend a month, two weeks a year and then loving off.

A lot of them are lionizing the craven teenage murderer and I dont want to give up on them because that feels like losing and the part of me that still thinks in Marine hates losing. And assholes asking what flavor crayon is best. They all taste the same goddamnit.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
You'll change them as easy as you'll change anyone else. Which is to say you can't. They can only change themselves. You can point to the sun and tell them it's the sun and make them say it's the sun, but you can't make them believe it.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

chuds* ruin everything around me (cream)
but I need money.
gotta pay my bills, y'all.

*replace with corporals/captains/chiefs as appropriate

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

Could be worse. One of my SSgts is otherwise an intelligent, witty person but her and her husband are hardcore believers in just about every wild conspiracy theory in existence. I'm talking straight up QAnon-believing flat earthers, which is extra funny since they've both been overseas multiple times. I'm just waiting for the inevitable endpoint where they start complaining about The Jews and I have to take them to EO. Until then I just don't engage.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Steezo posted:

Am I the idiot for trying to engage with boogaloos and chuds in my unit in good faith? They're exhausting but I don't want to give up on them. Even if we're back to one weekend a month, two weeks a year and then loving off.

A lot of them are lionizing the craven teenage murderer and I dont want to give up on them because that feels like losing and the part of me that still thinks in Marine hates losing. And assholes asking what flavor crayon is best. They all taste the same goddamnit.

I had a few of my old soldiers go all CHUD on me, especially in respect to the BLM movement and the ongoing protests.

After going back and forth with them for a while I simply told them I was disappointed in them and that I thought better of them. I guess I had a better relationship/influence with them than I thought. 75% of them calmed down, listened to reason, and ultimately conceded. The other 25% are now blocked.

Since I've started treating the CHUDs like children that did something wrong I've been having more success.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Steezo posted:

Am I the idiot for trying to engage with boogaloos and chuds in my unit in good faith?

Yes.

Jean Paul Sartre posted:

Never believe that anti-Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The anti-Semites have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past.

Mentally replace anti-Semite with chud, though there's a significant overlap.

destitute
May 1, 2002
It's about how hard you get hit and keep moving forward.
Nap Ghost

Wild T posted:

I'm talking straight up QAnon-believing flat earthers, which is extra funny since they've both been overseas multiple times. I'm just waiting for the inevitable endpoint where they start complaining about The Jews and I have to take them to EO.

This reminds me of the first terminal Senior Airman I ever worked with. Well, when I met him he bragged about being an E-4 and never planning to hit SSgt before his enlistment was up, but I’m pretty sure that was because he didn’t make rank right before I arrived on base; by the time he left he was an A1C or maybe even a mosquito wing Airman. Most Airmen I knew that lost a stripe did it for dumbshittery that involved underage drinking, drinking and driving, popping on a urinalysis, or fake ids they produced in order to compete at the aforementioned stupid triathlons. Except for the guy that lost a stripe for trying to jump in a frozen lake instead of guarding the base. This dude, however, lost his first stripe because of conspiracy mongering.

I show up to my first squadron and my first full day is a bbq. A SSgt fresh from deployment walks up to me and my supervisor, pulls up her shirt and asks me for an opinion on her new tits. “M’am, is that a trick question? They’re amazing.” I was a bit dumbstruck. My boss, a much smoother man than I, looks thoughtful and vaguely waves his beer in the direction of her chest and says “Yeah, nice work. Worth every penny.” She walks off to get more beer and show somebody else her tits, and my boss starts cracking up at the look on my face just as my NCOIC walks up.

“The hell is going on here?”

“Sir, this might be the best job I’ve ever had. Who was that and is she single?”

My supervisor quickly recaps but cracks up again at the look on my face and the response I had for her. I look at the two guys that I will be working closely with for the next few years, shrug, and say “I figure if I can see them, that’s pretty amazing.”

Senior Airman Eric Madman (not his name etc) had walked up with the NCOIC, and chooses to contribute by (A) telling me I did not, in fact, just see those tits, and (B) even if I had, they wouldn’t have been amazing simply because I got to see them. This is my first ever interaction with Eric. I walked off to get three fresh beers. Eric followed me. I didn’t hate him, but goddamn was he ever annoying.

Weeks later I am sitting in Eric’s cubicle trying not to fall asleep while he is supposed to be teaching me the systems we are responsible for here. “Hey man, I need a break. Change of topics, this is some dry stuff. You live off base, right?” Before I can follow up with a ‘tell me how that works, and is BAH going to cover me’ question, he lights up.

“You absolutely should get off base as soon as possible,” he says, talking fast as gently caress. “They put drugs in the water here. To keep you stupid! So you’ll do what they say.”

“Haha...? Uh, does BAH..”

“No, man, listen. I’m serious!”

“Drugs...in the water?” Well poo poo, I’m not falling asleep, so this both worked great and went terribly sideways on me.

“Yes,” he says with a little scorn in his voice, “ drugs in the water. And clearly it’s working on you.” gently caress, I walked into that. “That’s why you’re so tired.” Wait, is he still being a loon or just a really loving with me?

“I just thought I was tired from being up late last night, running a 5k this morning, and then listening to this super boring crap right after lunch. You’re saying it’s the water in the barracks.”

He nods. “And the chow hall, of course.”

“To ... keep me compliant? Why? They already pay, house, feed and clothe me to do what they say. Plus all that training. The education bene-“

“Right, whatever, that’s all advertising. And it keeps me around, sure, or guys that have been in long enough to be conditioned. Don’t listen to that!”

Eric was a smoker. I told him to go take a smoke while I hit the can. I came back and Eric was still away from his desk, so I sit down and my boss wheels his chair around the cubicle wall. He is grinning like a shark. “How’s training going? Want to keep doing this?”

gently caress no - wait, what do you have in mind?” And then they pitched me on informally cross training off Eric’s team; I wouldn’t get formal credit outside the Squadron, but I was not sticking around. They’d set me up so there was no way I would want to be another team member that was totally useless day to day. That was my first exposure to his theories.

After I’d pinned on E-4, moved out of that cubicle and began running database administration like my supervisor and NCOIC had planned, I’m crunching away at a project when the Wing Commander walks in. He grabs some goodies out of our snack fund and makes polite small talk, checking on his troops kind of thing. I don’t pay it much mind other than when he says hello to me and asks how my day is. The Wing Commander is basically everybody’s grandfather but in uniform and holding the purse strings. He was a very kind, very smart man that really enjoyed helping people out. I half expected him to request Werther’s be stocked at our snack fund.

Cue Eric Madman living up to his name. He appears and hands the Colonel a fifty or so page document. “Sir, did you know that 9/11 was an inside job?” he says, point at the papers and adding “There is proof that jets couldn’t have caused the collapse of the World Trade Center.”

Eric has just told a former fighter pilot that the entire reason he didn’t retire last year was because the government he has worked his entire life for is lying about everything.

I shoot up out of my seat and look Eric dead in the eye. “Eric! Uh, Airman Madman! I forgot to tell you the Master Sergeant was looking for you! Like an hour ago! My bad, dude, I was supposed to get you in there right after lunch!!!”

Eric’s face goes from shock to “well if I’m late already, what’s a few more minutes?” The Colonel pats Eric on the shoulder and says reassuringly “Tell them we were talking and I held you up, Airman. I will take care of this,” and he waves the pages. Eric trundles off to find the MSgt, who is currently at a pre-natal appointment with his wife. The Colonel finishes paying for his snacks and says thank you to me.

“Sorry, sir. I can file that for you.”

“No no, I’ll read it. I will almost certainly wind up shredding it, but I said would take care of it. I appreciate the offer though.”

He never came back to our snack fund, but would always stop and check up on me in the hallways or any time I was in a meeting he sat on. Somehow the whole story about the Wing CC reading a bunch of conspiracy poo poo from the internet Eric had printed off got to our Squadron CC. poo poo began rolling downhill. Eric got demoted the very next time he showed up late - didn’t take long - and I unofficially had a new additional duty: keep Eric from sharing anything from the internet with anybody outside the shop. Eric got booted out eventually, but it was about a year later.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

ASAPI posted:

I had a few of my old soldiers go all CHUD on me, especially in respect to the BLM movement and the ongoing protests.

After going back and forth with them for a while I simply told them I was disappointed in them and that I thought better of them. I guess I had a better relationship/influence with them than I thought. 75% of them calmed down, listened to reason, and ultimately conceded. The other 25% are now blocked.

Since I've started treating the CHUDs like children that did something wrong I've been having more success.

Carth Dookie posted:

Yes.

Recent discussion has figured that 'ironic racism is just racism' is better as 'all racism is ironic'; they know it's irrational and don't care because it makes them feel good. Logic doesn't work, anger doesn't work, scolding can work if you are already a person (or hold a position) that they respect and want to please.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

destitute posted:

This reminds me of the first terminal Senior Airman I ever worked with. Well, when I met him he bragged about being an E-4 and never planning to hit SSgt before his enlistment was up, but I’m pretty sure that was because he didn’t make rank right before I arrived on base; by the time he left he was an A1C or maybe even a mosquito wing Airman. Most Airmen I knew that lost a stripe did it for dumbshittery that involved underage drinking, drinking and driving, popping on a urinalysis, or fake ids they produced in order to compete at the aforementioned stupid triathlons. Except for the guy that lost a stripe for trying to jump in a frozen lake instead of guarding the base. This dude, however, lost his first stripe because of conspiracy mongering.

I show up to my first squadron and my first full day is a bbq. A SSgt fresh from deployment walks up to me and my supervisor, pulls up her shirt and asks me for an opinion on her new tits. “M’am, is that a trick question? They’re amazing.” I was a bit dumbstruck. My boss, a much smoother man than I, looks thoughtful and vaguely waves his beer in the direction of her chest and says “Yeah, nice work. Worth every penny.” She walks off to get more beer and show somebody else her tits, and my boss starts cracking up at the look on my face just as my NCOIC walks up.

“The hell is going on here?”

“Sir, this might be the best job I’ve ever had. Who was that and is she single?”

My supervisor quickly recaps but cracks up again at the look on my face and the response I had for her. I look at the two guys that I will be working closely with for the next few years, shrug, and say “I figure if I can see them, that’s pretty amazing.”

Senior Airman Eric Madman (not his name etc) had walked up with the NCOIC, and chooses to contribute by (A) telling me I did not, in fact, just see those tits, and (B) even if I had, they wouldn’t have been amazing simply because I got to see them. This is my first ever interaction with Eric. I walked off to get three fresh beers. Eric followed me. I didn’t hate him, but goddamn was he ever annoying.

Weeks later I am sitting in Eric’s cubicle trying not to fall asleep while he is supposed to be teaching me the systems we are responsible for here. “Hey man, I need a break. Change of topics, this is some dry stuff. You live off base, right?” Before I can follow up with a ‘tell me how that works, and is BAH going to cover me’ question, he lights up.

“You absolutely should get off base as soon as possible,” he says, talking fast as gently caress. “They put drugs in the water here. To keep you stupid! So you’ll do what they say.”

“Haha...? Uh, does BAH..”

“No, man, listen. I’m serious!”

“Drugs...in the water?” Well poo poo, I’m not falling asleep, so this both worked great and went terribly sideways on me.

“Yes,” he says with a little scorn in his voice, “ drugs in the water. And clearly it’s working on you.” gently caress, I walked into that. “That’s why you’re so tired.” Wait, is he still being a loon or just a really loving with me?

“I just thought I was tired from being up late last night, running a 5k this morning, and then listening to this super boring crap right after lunch. You’re saying it’s the water in the barracks.”

He nods. “And the chow hall, of course.”

“To ... keep me compliant? Why? They already pay, house, feed and clothe me to do what they say. Plus all that training. The education bene-“

“Right, whatever, that’s all advertising. And it keeps me around, sure, or guys that have been in long enough to be conditioned. Don’t listen to that!”

Eric was a smoker. I told him to go take a smoke while I hit the can. I came back and Eric was still away from his desk, so I sit down and my boss wheels his chair around the cubicle wall. He is grinning like a shark. “How’s training going? Want to keep doing this?”

gently caress no - wait, what do you have in mind?” And then they pitched me on informally cross training off Eric’s team; I wouldn’t get formal credit outside the Squadron, but I was not sticking around. They’d set me up so there was no way I would want to be another team member that was totally useless day to day. That was my first exposure to his theories.

After I’d pinned on E-4, moved out of that cubicle and began running database administration like my supervisor and NCOIC had planned, I’m crunching away at a project when the Wing Commander walks in. He grabs some goodies out of our snack fund and makes polite small talk, checking on his troops kind of thing. I don’t pay it much mind other than when he says hello to me and asks how my day is. The Wing Commander is basically everybody’s grandfather but in uniform and holding the purse strings. He was a very kind, very smart man that really enjoyed helping people out. I half expected him to request Werther’s be stocked at our snack fund.

Cue Eric Madman living up to his name. He appears and hands the Colonel a fifty or so page document. “Sir, did you know that 9/11 was an inside job?” he says, point at the papers and adding “There is proof that jets couldn’t have caused the collapse of the World Trade Center.”

Eric has just told a former fighter pilot that the entire reason he didn’t retire last year was because the government he has worked his entire life for is lying about everything.

I shoot up out of my seat and look Eric dead in the eye. “Eric! Uh, Airman Madman! I forgot to tell you the Master Sergeant was looking for you! Like an hour ago! My bad, dude, I was supposed to get you in there right after lunch!!!”

Eric’s face goes from shock to “well if I’m late already, what’s a few more minutes?” The Colonel pats Eric on the shoulder and says reassuringly “Tell them we were talking and I held you up, Airman. I will take care of this,” and he waves the pages. Eric trundles off to find the MSgt, who is currently at a pre-natal appointment with his wife. The Colonel finishes paying for his snacks and says thank you to me.

“Sorry, sir. I can file that for you.”

“No no, I’ll read it. I will almost certainly wind up shredding it, but I said would take care of it. I appreciate the offer though.”

He never came back to our snack fund, but would always stop and check up on me in the hallways or any time I was in a meeting he sat on. Somehow the whole story about the Wing CC reading a bunch of conspiracy poo poo from the internet Eric had printed off got to our Squadron CC. poo poo began rolling downhill. Eric got demoted the very next time he showed up late - didn’t take long - and I unofficially had a new additional duty: keep Eric from sharing anything from the internet with anybody outside the shop. Eric got booted out eventually, but it was about a year later.

Holy poo poo, apparently conspiracy nuts in the lower echelons is more common than I remember when I was in, but I do remember we had a couple A1Cs that were 9/11 truthers...

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Lemme tell you about marines with TS clearances that started off denying Russian interference on 2016 to full on Q #pizzagate posting

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
A former coworker was army aviation national guard, kept trying to convince me that there was thermite found at the WTC, that aliens and ghosts are real, and that Hillary Clinton has assassinated hundreds of 'dissidents'. He was relatively good humored about it and would accuse me of being CIA sent to spy on him when I told him he was being a moron

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

A former coworker was army aviation national guard, kept trying to convince me that there was thermite found at the WTC, that aliens and ghosts are real, and that Hillary Clinton has assassinated hundreds of 'dissidents'. He was relatively good humored about it and would accuse me of being CIA sent to spy on him when I told him he was being a moron

There was a kid when I was going to college who was Civil Air Patrol, really wierded me out because he liked to claim to be a veteran despite having no prior service to his CAP membership.

He was also a huge truther, and pushed a lot of conspiracy theories. He also liked to wear his CAP camo uniform around campus.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

When I was in Germany someone parked a sedan at the end of the road leading to the main gate. They had put bright pink decals in their rear windshield reading "STOP CHEMTRAILS". When I came back from lunch I was joking about it with a coworker when the group commander, a career F-15 pilot, stopped in and happened to ask what chemtrails were. The look on that man's face as I described what people believe was priceless and I wish I had a picture of it. It was the look of a man who walks in on his wife eating a turd with a knife and fork at his dinner table. Shock, confusion and a deep sadness.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Ah, CAP. Giving ROTC cadets someone to make fun of since 1941.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Carth Dookie posted:

Yes.

I mean some of them definitely believe in it though. We are practically witnessing the birth of a brand new religion.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
I worked for an FBO that was hosting an airshow and we had a CAP troupe[?] show up with a dumpy excitable CAP leader[?] and a whole bunch of like middle school age kids to help direct auto traffic and to help taxi aircraft around. Their plan was to camp out next to one of the taxiways but they didn't bring tents. Lol

They ended up sleeping in the maintenance hangar

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Here is a story of a dim airman, which starts with them doing the only smart thing they will do in this story. I'm hearing this third hand so apologies of some details are off.

Dim airman goes to a party off base, and smokes weed. Dim airman then decides to cover his tracks by checking into an ER off-base and say that he believes he was poisoned with edibles, and had inadvertently consumed the Devil's Lettuce. This is the only smart thing he does.

Part of the deal is that this airman gets put into some sort of addiction diversion program, and as part of this program is no longer randomly drug tested, because this airman now has some legal/administrative protection. This dude is definitely still using, everybody knows it, but he cannot be kicked out while he's in this program. He has also decided that he now hates the Air Force and desperately wants to get out, to the civilian world where he will never again have a job or boss he hates. This is where the bad decisions start to multiply.

A smarter person would just skate to the finish line. This guy decides instead that he's got to get out ASAP, and files a grievance with the IG for something else unrelated. As part of this, he's now removed from his addiction diversion program special status, so now if he pops hot on a random drug test, he's getting an Article 15. Could happen tomorrow, could happen in 3 years, or could happen any time inbetween.

IG doesn't buy the grievance, and so life is normal for this dude again. Then his number comes up for a pee test, he tests positive, and the wheels of UCMJ begin turning. No turning back now.

Airman meets with the commander, who explains that he's getting an Article 15, a DD, and is being promoted to civilian. Airman explains that he's had a change of heart, has more accurately assessed his true value in the civilian workforce, and no longer wants to leave the Air Force. He asks the commander, "Could we just, not do that? [process an article 15 and separation]".

One weird trick to avoid discipline, ask to maybe not do it. :shrug:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

canyoneer posted:

One weird trick to avoid discipline, ask to maybe not do it. :shrug:

Reminds me of a story from the old Royal Navy:

quote:

[Sir Robert] Lowry, the Flag Captain, was a deeply religious man, whose profound faith in Providence kept him cool, cheerful, and collected under all circumstances. Nothing could ever rattle him or upset his equanimity, and both his physical and his moral courage were infinitely great. He was very strong, very active, and extremely keen on fishing and shooting. Whenever he landed or came off to the ship in his gig he would, if he was not in uniform, make his coxswain steer the boat, while he pulled the stroke oar, and a mighty good oar he could pull. I once saw him handle a case of insubordination in an original way that led to the very best results. In those days it sometimes happened that a hasty-tempered young man, who felt either restless or aggrieved under naval discipline, would strike a superior in order to be dismissed the Service, even though such dismissal would be accompanied by a sentence to imprisonment with hard labour. A young ordinary seaman on board the Ramillies, who had been going wrong for some time, finally put the hat on his previous misdeeds by refusing, in unpardonable language, to obey an order given him by the captain of the forecastle. He was therefore brought up before the Commander, who forwarded the case to be investigated by the Flag Captain.

The ordinary seaman appeared at "Captain's Defaulters" under the charge of an escort of Marines. Lowry, having heard the evidence of the captain of the forecastle and various witnesses, asked the ordinary seaman what he had to say in his defence. The man made no reply, but he stepped out and struck Lowry as hard as he could in the chest. Of course the escort of Marines sprang to seize him, but before they could do so Lowry with his open right fetched the ordinary seaman such a terrific blow that the latter fell down and spun round and round like a top. At the same time Lowry remarked, with a chuckle: "Ha, ha! I can hit harder than you." The ordinary seaman was then removed, and kept a prisoner until the following day, when he was again brought before Lowry. "You have been making a fool of yourself," said Lowry. "Now, if I let you off, will you promise not to make a fool of yourself again?" "Yes, sir," replied the man. He was let off, and he kept his promise.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
https://twitter.com/ZeroBlog30/status/1301614501528326162

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

That dead, defeated, despairing stare in the background.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
That is one of the cringiest things I have ever seen in my life

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Supposedly there's a second one out with just her in it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
that's painful.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

gently caress im embarassed for hi.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

A chief I'm acquainted with is going to use that video at the weekend safety briefing during the social media portion. I can't imagine a more effective deterrent.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Bottom of the class at stripper college

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
I knew someone in the Air Force who could barely “read”. This wasn’t even an immigrant or a first generation kid or anything, just a product of the Oklahoma public education system. Their active duty father showed up to their Phase I graduation and was visibly embarrassed by how their child talked and acted but their kid was too stupid to notice. This person was deemed competent enough by the Air Force to manipulate a life support machine.

Edit: Possibly not even the stupidest or most severe personality disorder riddled person in that class.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

Cenen posted:

I knew someone in the Air Force who could barely “read”. This wasn’t even an immigrant or a first generation kid or anything, just a product of the Oklahoma public education system. Their active duty father showed up to their Phase I graduation and was visibly embarrassed by how their child talked and acted but their kid was too stupid to notice. This person was deemed competent enough by the Air Force to manipulate a life support machine.

Edit: Possibly not even the stupidest or most severe personality disorder riddled person in that class.

The kids I graduated 68W AIT with almost uniformly terrified me just thinking about them having a role in anyone's healthcare.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I’m trying to get one of my friends to type up a story about someone in his class in Basic that was so bad at the land nav stuff he almost died.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I’m trying to get one of my friends to type up a story about someone in his class in Basic that was so bad at the land nav stuff he almost died.

I walked off a cliff during night land nav on Okinawa. I think the compass was set a few degrees off cause I forgot to not hold the compass next to my rifle while taking readings.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I don't really know where else to put this so I'm going to put it here.

https://twitter.com/RepDonBeyer/status/1302018729144967169

I'm predicting . . . . issues with some people not understanding that they need to essentially pay that money back in a few months.

edit: I don't understand why the pay would fall 10% in 2021, but that's more about me being clueless than questioning the source.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Cyrano4747 posted:

I don't really know where else to put this so I'm going to put it here.

https://twitter.com/RepDonBeyer/status/1302018729144967169

I'm predicting . . . . issues with some people not understanding that they need to essentially pay that money back in a few months.

edit: I don't understand why the pay would fall 10% in 2021, but that's more about me being clueless than questioning the source.

Their paychecks will fall 10% when the payroll tax is reinstated, I think he means.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

My Basic had a dude who had never lived with indoor plumbing before.

Land Nav chat- I came off active, and went guard like a dummy. My second drill was AT. Since most of the unit went to Egypt, all of us left behind had to fill time. Enter SSG Carter.

SSG Carter had 23 years in. Every year, he had to write a letter to stay in the Guard. He decides to set up "Urban Land Nav" on our little post, which is a half dozen buildings, on a lot of maybe 10 blocks at most, with most of that being open field. I had just come from an Infantry unit at Bragg, so Land Nav was second nature. I pour through it in about 5 minutes, amd I'm shooting for the last point. Each point had a card with some drawing on it, we copy it. Shoot my azimuth, walk my paces. No dice. Back azimuth, do it again. Nothing. SSG Carter saunters over.
"Harder than you thought?"
"No. Show me how you shot your azimuth, Sar'ent."
"Why?"
"Because you hosed something up."

SSG Carter pulls his compass, lays it against the steel post of the chain link fence, and looks smugly at me.

"Do you know how compasses work, Sar'ent? They work on magnetic field. Metal alters the field and gives you a false reading, setting your azimuth off. Because you used the fence, you are 8 degrees off. 8 degrees off will get you lost as gently caress. How do you not know this?"

That was my intro to the NG.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I'm imagining them driving into the water and attributing it to not learning about water nav

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I've seen a dude get insanely lost in the bush using a geological compass to navigate. A compass set to be 11° out to the east, to take into account local declination.

People looked at me like I was stupid when I had two compasses around my neck. One is for rocks, the other is for walks. Don't get them mixed up. Of course, everyone's got a handheld GPS these days.

Also, I've seen a second year graduate geologist very nearly gently caress up a drill hole by lining up the rig (55 tons of steel) with his compass while standing right next to it. I was walking up to the drill site and watched him line it up and go "yep, perfect!" to the driller. I asked the driller to wait, and the geo to walk about fifty paces away and line it up again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Milo and POTUS posted:

I'm imagining them driving into the water and attributing it to not learning about water nav

Since it doesn’t seem he’s going to write it, I’ll give the general gist.

Basically, the dipshit and his buddy managed to get lost. Terribly lost. So incredibly loving lost they were panicking and didn’t notice the incredibly huge and red “DO NOT PASS THIS POINT” signs at the border of the course. They blew right by it and kept going. And going.

All the sudden King Dipshit’s helmet explodes and he’s knocked the gently caress out. They had wandered behind a live fire range and a stray 5.56 round tagged him right in the helmet. He lived, with no more than a concussion, but if it had been a little lower he probably wouldn’t have. Apparently the investigators had to sit down with everyone in his unit and ask if they saw the signs marking the edge of the course (universally the answer was “yes, they’re loving huge and brightly colored”).