Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
In a world without concussions, Kiryu is the world's greatest therapist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

technically, street fights are crimes so kiryu has done more crimes than anyone else in history.

Nah. It was all self defense, he is blameless.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

Nah. It was all self defense, he is blameless.

it's hard to be blameless when you stab someone with a spicy knife.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

They accused me of being drunk in the street!

I mean, yeah, I was drunk as gently caress, but still, that's rude!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

They made Yakuza, a series about a man who punches mental health into people, and then they made a Fist of the North Star game, a series where a man punches a dead person back to life.

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.
punch the amnesia out of a man, and then punch the amnesia back into him 2 minutes later

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
It is so baffling to me that 0 introduced multiple ways to reduce street crime battles when you're tired of them (make half of them ones where you have to intervene + the money throwing option) and not only did the remakes ignore this but Kiwami 2 made them chase you for like four blocks

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
One thing I've noticed in playing 5 and trying to loving get anywhere in Fukuoka is a huge pain in the rear end between the normal random street fights, the car gang, and the tournament fighter guys. gently caress off I'm trying to run 50 metres to the convenience store!

Also, as Saejima do you ever actually get to a point where you can just roam around like normal? I actually like the story it's telling but the way it's telling it is kinda poopy. I just got the hunting game thing in the snow explained to me and I do not care about it.

screaden fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Sep 3, 2020

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

screaden posted:

One thing I've noticed in playing 5 and trying to loving get anywhere is a huge pain in the rear end between the normal random street fights, the car gang, and the tournament fighter guys. gently caress off I'm trying to run 50 metres to the convenience store!

Also, as Saejima do you ever actually get to a point where you can just roam around like normal? I actually like the story it's telling but the way it's telling it is kinda poopy. I just got the hunting game thing in the snow explained to me and I do not care about it.

I think the Beads of Good Fortune are pretty early in Kiryu’s story, I’m surprised you had issues with random battles. But hunting is right before you get to Saejima’s town and you can do mostly normal Yakuza stuff, although it’s probably the worst town to traverse in a Yakuza game, just to warn you

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Last Celebration posted:

I think the Beads of Good Fortune are pretty early in Kiryu’s story, I’m surprised you had issues with random battles. But hunting is right before you get to Saejima’s town and you can do mostly normal Yakuza stuff, although it’s probably the worst town to traverse in a Yakuza game, just to warn you

You can't transfer his beads to anyone else until chapter 5 from my vague recollection . Then add in saejimas city having the worst layout and it gets frustrating

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
hunting is the easiest money maker in the game and it has a wonderful finale.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

screaden posted:

One thing I've noticed in playing 5 and trying to loving get anywhere in Fukuoka is a huge pain in the rear end between the normal random street fights, the car gang, and the tournament fighter guys. gently caress off I'm trying to run 50 metres to the convenience store!

Rofl, if you are annoyed by Fukuoka, just wait until you get to Sapporo. Saejima's city area is a loving infuriating nightmare.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Mordiceius posted:

Rofl, if you are annoyed by Fukuoka, just wait until you get to Sapporo. Saejima's city area is a loving infuriating nightmare.

oh no :ohdear:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

It goes by pretty fast to be fair, maybe an hour of story content and two of sub stories/Victory Road fights if you’re aiming for that. It’s just...kind of annoying trying to do that stuff

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Last Celebration posted:

It goes by pretty fast to be fair, maybe an hour of story content and two of sub stories/Victory Road fights if you’re aiming for that. It’s just...kind of annoying trying to do that stuff

Why can't they just do a standard Saejima part? Has anybody's favourite part of 4 or 5 been the Saejima part?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i thought it was pretty funny that saejima washed ashore directly in front of kiryu's house. otherwise, no.

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
Saejima busting out his heart and soul on Rouge of Love was worth two prison breaks in my heart :colbert:

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
I loving loved Saejima's Dangerous Hunts and will drop a leg trap for anyone who disagrees

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Taiga Saejima’s Big Game Hunter was on the higher end of side stories/mini games for this series imo, but it would be even better if it wasn’t sandwiched in between Prison But Even Longer This Time and The Worst Town In The Series.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Wolfsheim posted:

It is so baffling to me that 0 introduced multiple ways to reduce street crime battles when you're tired of them (make half of them ones where you have to intervene + the money throwing option) and not only did the remakes ignore this but Kiwami 2 made them chase you for like four blocks

I noticed it was pretty easy to run from street fights in 6 but K2 made it a lot more tedious for some reason.

That and bringing back damage sponge enemies are the two things I don’t like about it. Though I do wish they had found a way to bring back the baseball management game. Make the Majima Construction plot use that instead of Clan Creator or something.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I didn’t mind the frequency of street fights in 6 or K2 because the lack of long rear end loading in the dragon engine made them nice and fluid, plus I could just get to where I was going and then quickly finish them off right there.

The gangs thing in Judgement can still gently caress off though, that was annoying all the time once they outlived their story-purpose.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Let's rank the towns

Kamurocho obviously
Okinawa
Sotenbori
Hiroshima
Nagoya
Fukoaka
Huge gap
Sapporo

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

imo it goes

Kamurocho
Sotenbori
Okinawa
Hiroshima
Fukuoka
Nagoya
Sapporo

i assume Yokohama will take a spot in the top 3

Thank You Card
Mar 20, 2007

I'm your only friend.
sotenbori
kamurocho
hiroshima
okinawa
nagoya
fukuoka
sapporo

even if this list is very differently i think we can all agree that saejima is essentially an expert at drawing the shortest straw in just about every way down to his city even when the only real "good" parts of him is some of his moments in 4 and then hos fighting style. i enjoy all the cities except his city does him no justice

e: oops, forgot the best part of saejima. EVERYYYYBODDYYY SAYY ROOOuuugeee OF LOOOOOVE. COME ON BAYBEee

Thank You Card fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Sep 3, 2020

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

History Comes Inside! posted:

I didn’t mind the frequency of street fights in 6 or K2 because the lack of long rear end loading in the dragon engine made them nice and fluid, plus I could just get to where I was going and then quickly finish them off right there.

I love doing that because of the massive amount of regular people that start running down the street with you trying to form the audience, you can get a massive mob of running folks built up that way lol

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress

Thank You Card posted:

EVERYYYYBODDYYY SAYY ROOOuuugeee OF LOOOOOVE. COME ON BAYBEee

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
hooooly shiiiit

https://www.instagram.com/p/CEroSnnoWEH/

:eyepop: :eyepop: :eyepop: :eyepop: :eyepop: :eyepop: ( oh no! yakuza 7 summon spoiler)

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Can anyone give me some basic advice on Yakuza 0?

Should I be wandering all over whenever I get a chance to earn money to level up or should I get enough to level everything through natural progression?

It's my first one, what's the general play philosophy of the flow of the game in this regard?

I'm asking because the game seems like so far having finished chapter 1 it follow real old school design styles. No autosave, manual only at phone booths, no regenerating life at all, and I haven't found anyplace to buy health regen items. Healing seems to be eating 9 ramen dinners in a row slowly one at a time with no way to do it faster...

Weedle
May 31, 2006

BitBasher posted:

Should I be wandering all over whenever I get a chance to earn money to level up or should I get enough to level everything through natural progression?

It's my first one, what's the general play philosophy of the flow of the game in this regard?

I'm asking because the game seems like so far having finished chapter 1 it follow real old school design styles. No autosave, manual only at phone booths, no regenerating life at all, and I haven't found anyplace to buy health regen items. Healing seems to be eating 9 ramen dinners in a row slowly one at a time with no way to do it faster...

you don't ever need to grind street fights really. eventually you will unlock a set of business minigames that will give you as much money as you could possibly want. buy healing items ("toughness," etc.) at convenience stores and carry them around with you. hell, buy a ton and keep them in your "item box" so you can just get more from phone booths whenever you need them

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

BitBasher posted:

There's a pharmacy in Kamurocho where you can stock up on health drinks. It's around the middle of the map IIRC?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

BitBasher posted:

Staminan and Toughness drinks are usually your best bet for on-the-go healing, and stronger ones are sold in pharmacies on the map. I think the one in Kamurocho is fairly central to the city, right by the spot you can go to to spend Completion Points.

Some restaurants have bigger menus, and you can add multiple items on to your order until your health bar fills up, or unlock the bottomless stomach skill to just cram the entire menu down your manly gullet every time you stop by. Items that mention being spicy sometimes add to your heat gauge too.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Also, very importantly, you will unlock a kiryu side job that is extra dull and tedious (I folded laundry during it) but will rake in billions. Near the end of the game you can send said money to another character.

Also if you REALLY want to grind there's a specific weapon, enemy, and ability you stack to intentionally lose then win fights that gets you a trillion if you want it

Thank You Card
Mar 20, 2007

I'm your only friend.
if you look at the map and look a little down from the center where the big alleyway is mapped in thinner lines, there should be a building shaped like an E with a shopping cart icon on it. that's the temple, and the building marked in yellow on the same small cluster of buildings is the shop where you can get healing items. should also be marked in yellow. you can level by natural progression but you're gonna want to do story and substories. those haven't opened up yet but they loving own and give good xp and items.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

It's a rubber spicy knife

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Thanks everyone. I stopped just after the cut scene with Real Estate guy in his office at the start of chapter 2. I'll look for the stores when I get home from work, I was missing that entirely

EDIT: Is the "You don't ever kill anyone" a joke? I just finished chapter 1 after literally drop kicking someone out of a 4th story window, at least!

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

BitBasher posted:

EDIT: Is the "You don't ever kill anyone" a joke? I just finished chapter 1 after literally drop kicking someone out of a 4th story window, at least!

No. Kiryu having absolutely, definitely, for sure never killed anyone is a major plot point throughout the whole series.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

BitBasher posted:

Thanks everyone. I stopped just after the cut scene with Real Estate guy in his office at the start of chapter 2. I'll look for the stores when I get home from work, I was missing that entirely

Kiryu would never inflict upon someone else anything he couldn't survive himself.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

BitBasher posted:

I just finished chapter 1 after literally drop kicking someone out of a 4th story window, at least!

That guy survived

No, really!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
0's a great game, but it has its downsides. money taking the place of exp and real estate/cabaret being the only realistic way to make money outside of mr. shakedown cheese means that there's no real meaning to random battles or minigames once you've gotten all the cp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

One thing you should know about 0 is that new gameplay elements keep opening up until much later in the game than you'd probably expect.