Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Now that Bowsette is officially over, where will you be sending your horny energy?
This poll is closed.
Melinda Rust (née Megamelons) 13 5.86%
Twitch streamers 9 4.05%
VTube animes 27 12.16%
Any of the other –ette monstrosities 10 4.50%
[Lie] I don’t get horny. 54 24.32%
Other (Bowsette) 93 41.89%
Now that I'm an IK, I can make my own option 13 5.86%
David Crossup 1 0.45%
Bob PSPGodenkirk 2 0.90%
Total: 222 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

all the new additions to my wishlist were from the steam demo festival so it's mostly just "oh this game i liked the demo of is available now"

a lot of them have "2020" as dates, though, which may as well just be 2021 with the pandemic going on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

my steam wishlist is where games go while i wait for switch versions to be announced

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
how often do you even beat games? Not counting games that don't really "end," I think it's the exception for me to get to the intended ending of a game. At the same time, I think I spend a lot more time in a game compared to someone who just beats it normally.

I saw someone advise another to put a spoiler on an early game Prey spoiler and the person didn't think it mattered because that reveal happens within 5 minutes of the game but I remember spending like 30 minutes in that initial rooms and area dicking around.

Control you get an item that reveals the games true nature to you pretty early, but I also spent almost two hours before I even got to that point. I restarted the game at that point because a misleading achievement "choose to be chosen" with a picture of the gun on it popped up, which made me think I could've chosen to not get the gun somehow. That first segment blazes past if you don't stop to read all the notes and abuse a coffee cart to knock over every single object in the playable area. AFAIK you can't not get the gun, there is no choice, the achievements lied.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

a game doesn't count as beaten until you've learned its entire code via osmosis

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I used to almost never beat games for a time but that changed when I started adhering to a policy of "buy games only when you really want them and play to completion."

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I put anything that I think is even kind of cool on my wishlist. I'm up to 528

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

LionArcher posted:

IGN just gave the new TH1-2 Remaster a 9 saying they crushed it. I'm so in.

I would say "it should be hard to screw up, just remastering a classic" but Master Chief Collection and the original THPS HD kinda prove that its very possible.

But man, that sounds good. It just needs to play the same as it used to while looking a tiny bit better and I'll be super happy. poo poo I'm gonna go pop THPS3 in the PS2 and do some kickflips now.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I don't get people who have half a dozen unfinished games in flight at once so I start a game, play it until I finish it, and then move on to the next. So I've beaten virtually every game I've started and I can count the ones I gave up on on one hand.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

haveblue posted:

I don't get people who have half a dozen unfinished games in flight at once so I start a game, play it until I finish it, and then move on to the next. So I've beaten virtually every game I've started and I can count the ones I gave up on on one hand.

This is odd behavior and you should stop.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Weedle posted:

my steam wishlist is where games go while i wait for switch versions to be announced

i dont think i own or have played a non-nintendo game on my switch and i only play nintendo games on my switch because im not aware of a way to play them on my PC except for how i'd have to plug the switch into monitor to play it

you travel a lot? always wanted to see someone wit ha switch in the wild

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

This thread has gotten me to look at it for the first time in several years? I add things to the wishlist but never follow up, I get emails saying "something on your wishlist is on sale!" but I just tuned them all out

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I've gotten like 2/3 of the way into games and then stopped many times this year. Arc Rise Fantasia and just recently HZD off the top of my head. Ar Tonellico 2 I got 10 hours into then stopped when someone mentioned it last month. Got to the timeskip in Three Houses Madening mode then stopped.

But 40 hours in Risk of Rain 2? No prob!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

haveblue posted:

You never buy a game and find out halfway through it isn't really as good as you were hoping, or its getting dull?

But then there's also genres where "beating" isn't really a thing, like fighting games or racing games. Only really applies to strong campaign based games, story based. And if anything I personally prefer more game-y games, like Hitman. You may "beat" all the levels of Hitman but you're not done. So unless you absolutely 100% every single challenge in the game, you're leaving it partially finished regardless. Things aren't so cut and dry for lots of games.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

I used to almost never beat games for a time but that changed when I started adhering to a policy of "buy games only when you really want them and play to completion."

why to completion, why not just until you're done? Some games can be absurdly long and have very little of value to do in that time. There's probably a dozen games in history where every minute of the game was worthwhile and necessary to the experience without padding or pointless content. I say probably cause I can't think of one.

full disclosure, i'll also turn a movie or tv show off halfway if its getting tiring and you can already tell exactly how act 2 and 3 will go.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I kind of want to try Umineko but apparently the word-count is longer than all GoT books combined and if I can't get some voice acting I just CANNOT commit to that

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Khanstant posted:

why to completion, why not just until you're done? Some games can be absurdly long and have very little of value to do in that time. There's probably a dozen games in history where every minute of the game was worthwhile and necessary to the experience without padding or pointless content. I say probably cause I can't think of one.

full disclosure, i'll also turn a movie or tv show off halfway if its getting tiring and you can already tell exactly how act 2 and 3 will go.

I don't beat every single game I buy, but I think over time I just do a better job at knowing what I like so that I'm more likely to complete it.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I kind of want to try Umineko but apparently the word-count is longer than all GoT books combined and if I can't get some voice acting I just CANNOT commit to that

not reading umineko is a smart choice imo

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Khanstant posted:

i dont think i own or have played a non-nintendo game on my switch and i only play nintendo games on my switch because im not aware of a way to play them on my PC except for how i'd have to plug the switch into monitor to play it

you travel a lot? always wanted to see someone wit ha switch in the wild

no i just like playing games on handhelds more than pc or consoles, but the kinds of games i like most were usually not available on handhelds until the switch came along

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Weedle posted:

no i just like playing games on handhelds more than pc or consoles

:same:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

will never understand that

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

cheetah7071 posted:

not reading umineko is a smart choice imo

So I watched Higurashi because the advertisements were uh, very misleading about the intensity of the show and when it got to the big twist I realized that I should have read the VN instead because a LOT of the cool stuff was significantly truncated and almost entirely skipped over

Higurashi spoilers don't read:
having a time loop anime where you only actually see two loops should be some kind of federal crime

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

eights a good number imo

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

So I watched Higurashi because the advertisements were uh, very misleading about the intensity of the show and when it got to the big twist I realized that I should have read the VN instead because a LOT of the cool stuff was significantly truncated and almost entirely skipped over

Higurashi spoilers don't read:
having a time loop anime where you only actually see two loops should be some kind of federal crime

Was there a second Higurashi anime or something because the one I watched, while it had a lot of issues, did not match your spoiler

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
yeah i was always waiting for the equivalent of the "super gameboy" for the SNES for all of the DS lines. Playing pokemon on the snes was such an upgrade. I guess the Switch is just built-in super gameboy console

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Real jelly of y'all with 50 wishlist items, I cleaned up my last from 400 to like 300 goddamn

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Stux posted:

will never understand that

well i'm very nearsighted so it's less fatiguing for my eyes to focus on a small screen close to my face than a large screen across the room. as for my pc i would usually rather game in the living room where my wife and kid hang out than go sequester myself in the study

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Sony limits your wishlist to 99 items for some reason and this is what anxiety must feel like

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

I don't beat every single game I buy, but I think over time I just do a better job at knowing what I like so that I'm more likely to complete it.

i don't think liking a game makes me more likely to finish it, sometimes it makes it harder. MGSV is my favourite half-finished-game of all time but I can't bring myself to do the final final missions, not while there's a hundred side ops for me to delay the ending with.

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

A lot of the games I've played recently don't have an ending, or can't really be "beaten". Paper Mario was my first game in a while that had an ending, and I did finish it!

I have a bit over 70 games on my Steam wishlist, a large number of which are the story based ones. I think I've posted previously about how keeping up with a game feels difficult for me now, so I prefer stuff I can drop and pick up again easily.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

games i beat this year:

- the witcher iii: wild hunt
- the witcher iii: hearts of stone
- yakuza 0
- yakuza kiwami
- assassin's creed iv
- deadly premonition
- dark souls
- dark souls
- dark souls

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Weedle posted:

well i'm very nearsighted so it's less fatiguing for my eyes to focus on a small screen close to my face than a large screen across the room. as for my pc i would usually rather game in the living room where my wife and kid hang out than go sequester myself in the study

dang im really nearsighted as well but for me the larger screen is better lol

i dont hate handhelds or anything, i have a switch lite, but its for portable games for me. i would always prefer a giant 100 hour jrpg be on a console or pc than playing it handheld personally.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Speaking of not beating games, I recently bounced off of Ori 2 for what feels like a very petty reason: The game has mostly 8-directional movement, so I use the D-pad because that's more comfortable for that kind of movement. But there's one move in the game with full 360 degree movement, and so I have to move to the analog stick. I could just use the stick for all movement but that feels super awkward for me for normal movement. So I just found no comfortable way to control the game and stopped playing it

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Zaphod42 posted:

You never buy a game and find out halfway through it isn't really as good as you were hoping, or its getting dull?

I guess I'm a pretty good judge of what games I'd like, or a lot more patient than the average player.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I usually have 8 or so games on the go at a time, and enjoy/intend to finish all of them. I'm just easily distracted I guess.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Games I beat this year:

Heavensward
Atelier ayesha DX
Disco Elysium
AI the Somnium Files
Yomawari: Midnight Shadows
Final Fantasy V
Satisfactory
Doom Eternal
Prey
FF7R
FF7
Halo Reach
FF8
Atelier Elie
Bug Fables
Mass Effect
Halo 3
Mass Effect 2
Mass Effect 3
Dragon Age 2

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

cheetah7071 posted:

Was there a second Higurashi anime or something because the one I watched, while it had a lot of issues, did not match your spoiler

They're making a new one I know but basically:

The first like 1/3 of the show takes place like normal until the big killing event and the purple-haired girl wakes back up at the beginning of the show and talks all about how she's done that same loop thousands of times and nothing's worked. Then in the next episode she immediately manages to make everyone remember the other realities and that's when they all band together and figure out what's going on and prevent the village from dying. During that episode, she talks about specific plotlines from other loops that went differently. She tells one character "hey in another timeline you were one of the killers" and she admits that she hated her aunt and thought about killing her, and that's the end of it. But, in the game, you actually play through those other loops from the perspective of the different characters. Like I said, there's only two loops that happen over the course of the show, the first decoy loop where everyone dies and then the second loops where she recruits everyone and saves the town

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

They're making a new one I know but basically:

The first like 1/3 of the show takes place like normal until the big killing event and the purple-haired girl wakes back up at the beginning of the show and talks all about how she's done that same loop thousands of times and nothing's worked. Then in the next episode she immediately manages to make everyone remember the other realities and that's when they all band together and figure out what's going on and prevent the village from dying. During that episode, she talks about specific plotlines from other loops that went differently. She tells one character "hey in another timeline you were one of the killers" and she admits that she hated her aunt and thought about killing her, and that's the end of it. But, in the game, you actually play through those other loops from the perspective of the different characters. Like I said, there's only two loops that happen over the course of the show, the first decoy loop where everyone dies and then the second loops where she recruits everyone and saves the town

that sounds really bad lol

the VNs are mostly good. A few things I didn't like but an overall positive experience

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Weedle posted:

games i beat this year:

- the witcher iii: wild hunt
- the witcher iii: hearts of stone

this is another game I enjoyed but will never beat. Somewhere around chapter 2 or 3 I'm given too much freedom and I spend it all collecting secret armours I won't wear and solving every problem in the kingdom except the main ones.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Stux posted:

i would always prefer a giant 100 hour jrpg be on a console or pc than playing it handheld personally.

Same but the opposite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Stux posted:

dang im really nearsighted as well but for me the larger screen is better lol

i dont hate handhelds or anything, i have a switch lite, but its for portable games for me. i would always prefer a giant 100 hour jrpg be on a console or pc than playing it handheld personally.

i mean i'm just guessing, i'm not an eyeologist or anything but the switch is the most pleasant screen in my house for me to look at games on. maybe if my tv was bigger or closer to the couch i'd feel differently