Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

The Glumslinger posted:

Let's talk about a different political failure

https://twitter.com/WHO13news/statu...ingawful.com%2F

Yeah, that seems a lot easier than a mask mandate. Atleast Iowa State backed off having 25k people at the football season opener

Covid could be bringing blue laws back? gently caress 2020 is weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Seems bad ? Context: I don't know anything
https://twitter.com/pupadhyaya_/status/1301544819731451904

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Nah these big boys just have a flu (and it's not like they'll need those hearts past 30)

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Oh, a video with Nanci Pelosi and James Cordon in it. I think I’d rather stare at the deuce I just dropped swirl around the toilet bowl.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Uh, this wouldn't be exclusive to athletes. It's not like COVID is going around and saying "do u play ftball?? k u get heart problems now" .. It's likely everyone infected will have this issue. Well, 30-35% of them anyways.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Sono posted:

If they gently caress it up that badly, Democrats hold the Senate 35-30, and it's Patrick Leahy.

If things go as bad as yook is implying, there is no President, Vice President, House of Representatives in its entirety, and 35 vacant Senate seats.

There's actually a really informative video about what would happen if for some reason there was no election. I like this guy a lot, he's got some very informative videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQLbNekBU1A

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Yeah, having 30-35% of the general population now having heart and/or lung problems AND corona mutating just enough to keep on making rounds around the globe is the problem.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

EvilJoven posted:

Ever see a pastor with one of those big fuckin houses in the suburbs go all 'Well actually some scholars believe the reference to the eye of a needle actually refers to a smaller door through the wall of Jerusalem that was used at night and you can get a camel through there it's just more work, so Jesus meant that TECHNICALLY you can be wealthy and get into heaven, it's just more difficult' :smug:

It's p lol.

Lol when I was dumber I used to go to a megachurch that did this, right down to having a giant prop camel and needle on stage. Well clearly Jesus was joking around and having fun! High earning donors please keep those checks coming, and pastor compensation is a closely guarded secret.

Fast forward a few years and it turned out the pastor's annual compensation was over a million and his wife was on the payroll at six figures. Amid that and a bullying scandal, rather than embrace the masculine stoicism he had preached for years he immediately gave up and fled to another state leaving one of the largest churches in the region to implode.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

So the CDC has announced an eviction moratorium on all rental units in the US? I mean it's good news I guess but I didn't think that they had the power to do that, and frankly I still don't but if it stops even 1 person from getting evicted then it's cool.

They're still going to get evicted, they just get evicted later.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Guy Axlerod posted:

They're still going to get evicted, they just get evicted later.

My prediction is trumpo is doing this so it increases re election chances, then after he's elected it goes away January 21 and debtor's prisons get another go.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Philthy posted:

Uh, this wouldn't be exclusive to athletes. It's not like COVID is going around and saying "do u play ftball?? k u get heart problems now" .. It's likely everyone infected will have this issue. Well, 30-35% of them anyways.

I think the point might be that young college athletes are unusually healthy compared to the average and even that didn't help them.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Scaramouche posted:

I think the point might be that young college athletes are unusually healthy compared to the average and even that didn't help them.

The current research data shows that COVID-19 actually makes new venues of attack for the next waves, so being unusually healthy is nice against the first, second and the third wave, but not the ones after.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Philthy posted:

This seems to accord with other reports showing that a high percentage of people, even asymptomatic/mild symptomatic ones, had weird heart stuff afterwards.

Can any med goons comment on whether myocarditis is something that always causes damage, or can it go away without any lasting effects? Because 1/3 of people having heart damage from this would be real bad.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Zugzwang posted:

This seems to accord with other reports showing that a high percentage of people, even asymptomatic/mild symptomatic ones, had weird heart stuff afterwards.

Can any med goons comment on whether myocarditis is something that always causes damage, or can it go away without any lasting effects? Because 1/3 of people having heart damage from this would be real bad.

COVID's kissing cousin SARS has plenty of long term damage for a not insignificant portion of survivors:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7192220/

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
https://twitter.com/yellingatwind/status/1301588828860235777

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

COVID's kissing cousin SARS has plenty of long term damage for a not insignificant portion of survivors:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7192220/
Yeah, persistent ill effects 2+ years out doesn't bode well.

Am I stereotyping too much or is it horribly unsurprising that two guys from a hyper-male-dominated, extremely nerdy profession would have failed to account for college kids partying.

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

Oh you like racoons? Name three of their songs. You dope.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Zugzwang posted:

Myocarditis is simply inflammation of the heart muscle. It's not well understood and rare (or very common but we only see the bad cases since we don't go around randomly testing everyone who catches a virus for it). There's no treatment and consequences range from 'full recovery' to 'drop dead from a sudden heart attack' and 'heart failure needing transplant'. Basically cardiac stuff that even the most obese cheeto-infested goon wouldn't face until their 50s at least. If it's present in 30% of all infected cases it will be interesting to see what the long term consequences will be.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Lol when I was dumber I used to go to a megachurch that did this, right down to having a giant prop camel and needle on stage. Well clearly Jesus was joking around and having fun! High earning donors please keep those checks coming, and pastor compensation is a closely guarded secret.

Fast forward a few years and it turned out the pastor's annual compensation was over a million and his wife was on the payroll at six figures. Amid that and a bullying scandal, rather than embrace the masculine stoicism he had preached for years he immediately gave up and fled to another state leaving one of the largest churches in the region to implode.

The explanation is also absolute bullshit. The gate in the walls of Jerusalem theory first crops up in the 15th century and was popularly taught in the "rich" churches to make that verse more palatable to the preacher's well-heeled congregation. It may go back further but that is the first clear record of it but it definitely does not go back to the early church.

There is also the more obvious problem that if Jesus meant a gate that you could get a camel through with some effort why were the apostles astonished and why did they start wondering how anyone could be saved if it was an obvious allusion to something you just needed to work at a bit?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
https://twitter.com/tmj4/status/1301641329789763586

So it starts here now. :allears:

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

My dad's on chemo, and in the same week my mom got sent back to teach in person. This is it. Trump's going to kill my parents.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
that fuckin sucks dude

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Zugzwang posted:

Yeah, persistent ill effects 2+ years out doesn't bode well.
Am I stereotyping too much or is it horribly unsurprising that two guys from a hyper-male-dominated, extremely nerdy profession would have failed to account for college kids partying.

epidemiological models are all differential equations w poo poo stuck on them, they really are physicist-going-in-and-loving-with-it-and-it-works material. but they failed to stick the correct poo poo in, so they arent even good at diff eqs

they are bad scientists qua scientists, not overstepping their boundaries. the original equations were written by overstepping mathematicians in the first place

mean field vs model w sites is like 3rd year undergrad stat mech

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
gotta admit i recognize most of the words in that post but i'm really not sure what they mean

Zugzwang posted:

i personally suspect money was the driver, but who knows

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
epidemiology was conquered a century ago already by mathematicians w huge big dicks (not literally: sir model was by a woman forex), these physicists did not have big enough dicks mathematically, not that epidemiology cant be conquered w big mathematical dicks

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Sep 4, 2020

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I realise there are all sorts of crazy people asking weird questions which try to prove that covid isn't real. Covid is real, I'm scared of it and taking precautions.
Anyway, my question is, how on earth are there people who are out and about, think this isn't real, don't wear masks, go to parties and restaurants, without having been exposed or gotten sick yet? As far as I can tell there are entire u.s. states that just never shut down? Arizona was a hotspot a couple of months (?) Ago but I stopped hearing about that? But still there are so many people who just haven't caught it or been exposed to it. It seems like the virus is really slow moving, except for the super spreader events. I realise that half of people show no symptoms, but still we're at only six million (just under 2% I think, and 4% if you double it for asymptomatic people) Of the population have caught it so far? Why?

redreader fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Sep 4, 2020

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1301596100793516032

new viral marketing for the next batman is out of control

nut
Jul 30, 2019

*batman voice* I’m positive

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

nut posted:

*batman voice* I’m positive

Coronavirus: "I'm Batman!"

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
from bat to man to man to bat, man

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Leave it up to two theoretical physicists, and you end up with Zeno's Arrow Paradox as your model? Shocking.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

azurite posted:

My dad's on chemo, and in the same week my mom got sent back to teach in person. This is it. Trump's going to kill my parents.

Make sure you mail in their ballots for them.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

dwarf74 posted:

I don't see how this is at all inconsistent with the conservative view of covid19 - that it's a fake virus used by "elites" to control people.
I wasn't trying to say the Pelosi story was inconsistent with the conservative narrative as a way to dismiss the story. I dismiss the story because it isn't a story. But yes, obviously, the story is inconsistent with Fox's own narrative.

The point I was trying to make was how absurd it is for them to take this Pelosi thing as a big story about mask wearing negligence. There are so many egregious examples like the two I mentioned. Ignoring which outlet is doing the reporting, assuming that that news outlet doesn't have some clear political agenda - headlining a story about Pelosi taking off her mask in a salon is a very strange pick. Why would Fox News pick this minor, not particularly noteworthy story to make a headline?

Fox was running this Pelosi thing again this morning and by god they had a live interview with the salon shop owner just attacking Pelosi. But now they sprinkled in some conspiracy. Yup, this is the big covid news story the world needs to know about. :sigh:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
That's a really weird thing for them to latch onto since Trump doesn't wear a mask.

Par for the course though.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/YahooSportsCFB/status/1301703348056449025

Kerosene19
May 7, 2007

This is pretty incredible, a unified covid theory of sorts. I hope it verifies.
Makes me question the risks of taking an ACE inhibitor (Lisinopril) post LDA stent insertion versus covid.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

zer0spunk posted:

Jingle bells
Batman can't smell

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
lovely smuglord conspiracy theorist James Bartolo also got arrested for inciting anti-lockdown protests in Melbourne Australia (he's the 4th person they've arrested so far) and he livestreamed footage of the arrest. The dumbfuck tried some weak SovCit bullshit to stop the police entering his property and stood on his balcony poo poo-talking them even though they had a warrant but they weren't buying any of that and smashed open his door and tackled him to the ground.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-09-04/victoria-police-arrest-fourth-person-for-supporting-protests/12630904

They also arrested a pregnant woman a few days ago on the same charge of 'incitement' for setting up an anti-lockdown event via Facebook and when the media interviewed her the following day to the surprise of no one she turned out to be as dumb as a rock, explaining that she freaked out and had a "bimbo moment" because she thought the cops were going to kidnap her and admitting that she doesn't even know what the word "incitement" means.

It's not great that the cops are arresting people for 'incitement' when they're encouraging people to attend events where they might break the law but it's real hard to feel any sympathy for the lovely people who've been caught so far, gently caress 'em.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

zer0spunk posted:

So we can rule out microwaved penne pasta with sugar as a possible COVID cure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

zer0spunk posted:

Am I the only one that saw that and thought "Why are they making another Batman?!", followed shortly by "With another different actor and this time it's the guy from the Twilight movies?!?"