Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Methanar posted:

texas.

openstack toucher

I know right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

The Dreamer posted:

Pretty much every piece of software from our core system vendor. 10-15 at least I'd say. I think we've got a new one coming on for another vendor soon that will only allow SSO if its running IE. :argh:

Ayyyy I just replicated a 2012 environment running SAP on all 2012 servers (not even R2) after a client bought their manufacturing facility. Everything using SSO requires IE!

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Top posters for thread (max 30)
User Posts
CLAM DOWN 2267
Thanks Ants 2076
Internet Explorer 1726
Vulture Culture 1707
Sickening 1682
Gabriel S. 1677
The Fool 1399
22 Eargesplitten 1305
Methanar 1270

how do you post nearly twice as much as me.

The Dreamer
Oct 15, 2013

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Coolnezzz posted:

Ayyyy I just replicated a 2012 environment running SAP on all 2012 servers (not even R2) after a client bought their manufacturing facility. Everything using SSO requires IE!

I'd like to at least have the justification that this is older software they're bringing on, but its actually apparently a fairly new system by the vendor. They have full support of Okta for SSO but we use Azure AD so instead we get to roll an on-premise IIS server and use IE for SSO.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

jaegerx posted:

Amen. I'm gonna be that 60 year old guy in the corner that smells of whiskey with an eye patch, old grey beard, and a nasa hat. Everyone is scared of me because I've seen poo poo. One day the poo poo will hit the fan and the CEO will say "call in old salty jaegerx" and god knows I will walk into that room with the stare of a 40 year veteran of the poo poo we have seen in IT and finally say "yeah I quit"

Or I'll just solve the issue and go back home to my whiskey. I dunno. I will let you know which in 30 years.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

The Dreamer posted:

I'd like to at least have the justification that this is older software they're bringing on, but its actually apparently a fairly new system by the vendor. They have full support of Okta for SSO but we use Azure AD so instead we get to roll an on-premise IIS server and use IE for SSO.

New hardware and VMs from the ground up with support from the vendor but still running on the same OS versions, software versions, and licensing as was used at the prior company due to database/other restrictions placed upon them by SAP/Siemens. Upgrading versions / DBs would be several hundred thousand that is not in the budget so we did what we could, which turns out has worked perfectly.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Methanar posted:

User Posts
CLAM DOWN 2267
Thanks Ants 2076
Internet Explorer 1726
Vulture Culture 1707
Sickening 1682
Gabriel S. 1677
The Fool 1399
22 Eargesplitten 1305
Methanar 1270

This seems outrageous. There is no way I've done almost 2k posts in this thread.

I mean I guess this thread is 6 years old. Oof.

captaingimpy
Aug 3, 2004

I luv me some pirate booty, and I'm not talkin' about the gold!
Fun Shoe

Methanar posted:

I'm Incredibly Turgid

Are you excessively ornate or bloated?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Methanar posted:

Step up, coward.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

captaingimpy posted:

Are you excessively ornate or bloated?

I'll get banned if I post a picture of my bloated ornate

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

I don’t remember this but I’m loving proud of it.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

jaegerx posted:

I don’t remember this but I’m loving proud of it.

I had to go back 6 years but yeah you made a good post

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

xsf421 posted:

[ASK] me about server 2003 in production in 2020. (And dozens/hundreds of 08R2, 2012R2). Legacy software is the worst.

I’ve got a bunch of these too, and what usually happens is that after we get most of the pieces of poo poo retired/virtualized and transitioned to a manageable state, the company buys another manufacturing facility. At that point I reach for the whiskey as the peek into their infrastructure reveals physical servers running server 2003

The last place we bought had an industrial saw which ran off of a dos 6.22 control computer on god knows what iteration from an original ghost image.

It’s really not that bad if you just virtualize all the trash and put it in its little isolated security shame cube. It can just run there forever until they either upgrade the control system or retire the machine it runs.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

The Dreamer posted:

In the case of our bank, we have a bunch of software vendors that won't certify their software to run past certain OS versions. We're lucky that most of them allow 2016 now instead of still running 2012. We usually ask if we can just run it on 2019 whenever possible but the typical answer is that we can, but they won't support it if we run into any issues on an OS version they don't certify.

A couple of months ago I consulted for a scientist on setting up a server for an analysis box. The most recent OS supported by the vendor was Server 2012. That was in the technical requirements brochure, some versions of software they are selling today only run on Server 2008. These packages cost thousands of dollars per concurrent user.

That's still no excuse for the DC situation, management cutting corners is to blame there. At least we'll finally be able to reliable enforce Win10-only features by GPO.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Methanar posted:

User Posts
CLAM DOWN 2267
Thanks Ants 2076
Internet Explorer 1726
Vulture Culture 1707
Sickening 1682
Gabriel S. 1677
The Fool 1399
22 Eargesplitten 1305
Methanar 1270

jfc, how am I on that list

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The Dreamer posted:

How does a product get to the stage where it’s implementing Okta and not also covering off Azure AD

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

The Fool posted:

jfc, how am I on that list

The Fool 1399 1400

The Dreamer
Oct 15, 2013

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Thanks Ants posted:

How does a product get to the stage where it’s implementing Okta and not also covering off Azure AD

I’d like to know the same thing. I asked the project team from the vendor if Azure AD SSO was on the roadmap. They assured me that, yes, I could spin up a VM with their on-premise IIS application in Azure if I wanted.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
Got an interview coming up for a network engineer job that sounds like it will involve some typically system admin type of work involved in it. AD, O365, some VMware type of stuff.

My background is pretty heavily network focused but I have some experience with the system side of things with the items I mentioned, so I’m really excited at the idea of getting this one. Not to mention the pay range would be a substantial bump for me.

Wondering if anybody could suggest some poo poo I should brush up on before a tech interview, like what sort of things would you ask a network engineer who also touches some of those systems? I’ve done simple powershell scripting, deployed some servers with VSphere, I understand the basics of ADs structure, some basic experience with virtual desktops etc.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Tetramin posted:

Got an interview coming up for a network engineer job that sounds like it will involve some typically system admin type of work involved in it. AD, O365, some VMware type of stuff.

My background is pretty heavily network focused but I have some experience with the system side of things with the items I mentioned, so I’m really excited at the idea of getting this one. Not to mention the pay range would be a substantial bump for me.

Wondering if anybody could suggest some poo poo I should brush up on before a tech interview, like what sort of things would you ask a network engineer who also touches some of those systems? I’ve done simple powershell scripting, deployed some servers with VSphere, I understand the basics of ADs structure, some basic experience with virtual desktops etc.

How do you handle config management for your network hardware. What are some differences in how network config management differs from that of systems.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

A "thank you" to the folks who mentioned the AWS cost explorer and setting up budget notifications. :kiddo:

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

Tetramin posted:

I do a lot of AD / O365 stuff in my day-to-day, things I might ask about off the top of my head in my circumstances would be understanding AD connect, applying GPOs by security group filtering instead of creating a mess of OUs to link to, being able to implement nested group permissions, knowing what you can do in all the tabs when managing a mailbox or groups in Exchange Online, understanding how to administer SharePoint Online from at least a folder and library permissions standpoint, and what's increasingly important not just in my day-to-day but in this new WFH world, a functional knowledge of both Teams feature usage and administration.

klosterdev fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Sep 3, 2020

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I miss the way we did stuff at $job-1. We were on Azure AD. Someone left, we archived the mailbox, moved the email address to an alias of someone if necessary and then disabled the account. Done. have a good day. Simple, effective, and less wasteful time if they come back. :shrug:

I'm also an IT snob for saying out loud that our encryption software (Symantec Encryption) is a piece of poo poo and hiding SSIDs is dumb.

Irritated Goat fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Sep 3, 2020

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Has Symantec made anything in the past ten years that wasn't an attempt to build a tower on top of a foundation of decaying garbage

captaingimpy
Aug 3, 2004

I luv me some pirate booty, and I'm not talkin' about the gold!
Fun Shoe
No, and I'm still mad about what they did to Altiris.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Ask me about migrating from DS 6.5 to the full SMP 7.1 suite across a 240+ site t1 mpls network with task servers in each location because PCI-DSS network lockdown, supporting 4200 registers, workstations, and laptops.

Actually please don’t, I’m trying to cut back on my drinking. That is when I learned what true burnout really was.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug
I have a senior networking engineer position going up in the next month or so. It has to be local since it is working on hardware and campus networking stacks. What are the "cool / hip" job sites to put this application on?

Currently my list is:

Indeed.com
LinkedIn
ZipRecruiter
Glassdoor (we seem to have a decent rating there).
Monster?
Dice?

That's what I got. Trying to be comprehensive. Going to be an important role and just posting it to our job site nets us... not great applicants.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

ptier posted:

I have a senior networking engineer position going up in the next month or so. It has to be local since it is working on hardware and campus networking stacks. What are the "cool / hip" job sites to put this application on?

Currently my list is:

Indeed.com
LinkedIn
ZipRecruiter
Monster?
Dice?

That's what I got. Trying to be comprehensive. Going to be an important role and just posting it to our job site nets us... not great applicants.

forums.somethingawful.com

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

rafikki posted:

forums.somethingawful.com

Fair. When it is up, I will definitely drop it here.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ptier posted:

Fair. When it is up, I will definitely drop it here.

Please don't. Use the appropriate thread for it: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3075135

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

klosterdev posted:

Has Symantec made anything in the past ten years that wasn't an attempt to build a tower on top of a foundation of decaying garbage

We're dropping SEP in the next year :downs:

And turning on the AV module in Fireeye :saddowns:

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

Sorry when I meant "here" I meant the forums. Apologies I was not specific.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

mllaneza posted:

We're dropping SEP in the next year :downs:

And turning on the AV module in Fireeye :saddowns:

Windows 10 was the final nail in our SEP coffin, every time a new Windows 10 build came out, upgrading would cause the current version of SEP to break and everything reverted back to Windows Defender. Had to push out a new version EVERY. TIME.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

ptier posted:

Currently my list is:

Indeed.com
LinkedIn
ZipRecruiter
Monster?
Dice?

Indeed and LinkedIn are going to get you the best results. Maybe Glassdoor. Monster and Dice should just go away, I never see good job postings on those sites.

If you have an internal recruiter, have them proactively reach out to people with the skillset you need on LinkedIn. We get much better results when we proactively reach out than waiting for someone to come to us.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
My boss, who was opposed to working from home, now supports it after he realizes all the benefits and cost savings. My company is even looking at not renewing their office space lease. We have two floors in Manhattan which is really excessive, plus a tiny datacenter which we'd have to move. Change is coming...slowly.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

skipdogg posted:

Indeed and LinkedIn are going to get you the best results. Maybe Glassdoor. Monster and Dice should just go away, I never see good job postings on those sites.

If you have an internal recruiter, have them proactively reach out to people with the skillset you need on LinkedIn. We get much better results when we proactively reach out than waiting for someone to come to us.

Thank you, I've been in the state hive mind too long to know what is good / useful. We don't really have an internal recruiter being state. We have to huck stuff over the fence and wait for responses the ol'fashioned way. Have to do everything nice and open for the public and such.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

The Dreamer posted:

Pretty much every piece of software from our core system vendor. 10-15 at least I'd say. I think we've got a new one coming on for another vendor soon that will only allow SSO if its running IE. :argh:

OK, look, I get that banks or whatever are change-averse, but what about risk averse? What are they going to do when they get thoroughly pwned because they're using unpatched, unsupported OSes? How much does *that* cost, versus pulling up your big girl pants and paying for the upgrade. Mind you, smdh for the software vendors bending the companies over for just upgrading to a version that works on current/modern operating systems, too.

mllaneza posted:

A couple of months ago I consulted for a scientist on setting up a server for an analysis box. The most recent OS supported by the vendor was Server 2012. That was in the technical requirements brochure, some versions of software they are selling today only run on Server 2008. These packages cost thousands of dollars per concurrent user.

That's still no excuse for the DC situation, management cutting corners is to blame there. At least we'll finally be able to reliable enforce Win10-only features by GPO.

Hell of a racket to charge that kind of money, but still be unable/unwilling to write it for current-ish systems.

Weaponized Autism posted:

My boss, who was opposed to working from home, now supports it after he realizes all the benefits and cost savings. My company is even looking at not renewing their office space lease. We have two floors in Manhattan which is really excessive, plus a tiny datacenter which we'd have to move. Change is coming...slowly.

I have a sneaking suspicion that a lot of companies are going to be realizing this sort of thing, and acting similarly. I think someone here already posted a musing on what that might do to the office real estate industry, and that's a fair question. The (international) company I work at won't be going back to the office before the end of the year, in all likelihood. Criteria for returning include emergency measures/shelter in place being ended for the local region of the office, a decline in C19 numbers for 2 weeks running in that region, and, if cases increase for any 3 consecutive days after returning, we go back to WFH. Even when we go back, it will only be 10-15% max, on a voluntary basis. Currently, they're not planning on opening any of the Americas offices. Pretty enlightened of them, I think, but we were in a pretty good position to WFH to begin with.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

The CEO insisted on moving us last winter, into a space that was undergoing renovation. There is basically no upside other than he can piss away a ton of money on a worthless and ugly redesign. It has a been a clusterfuck, and the renovation is still going. The place is a disaster zone, concrete and drywall dust coating everything (including my servers.)

It would be funny if he winds up shitcanning the whole plan to go with some sort of WFH arrangement.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Darchangel posted:

I have a sneaking suspicion that a lot of companies are going to be realizing this sort of thing, and acting similarly. I think someone here already posted a musing on what that might do to the office real estate industry, and that's a fair question.

An interesting thing is the secondary impact corona will have on the urban housing market.

Now that proximity to a (non-existent) office building is no longer a factor, will people still pay a premium on housing in close proximity to a workplace?

Will we see an evening out of prices as folks flee city centers for more rural and dispersed places? Suddenly ISPs will feel the pressure to offer broadband to strange and remote places previously unconsidered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Agrikk posted:

An interesting thing is the secondary impact corona will have on the urban housing market.

Now that proximity to a (non-existent) office building is no longer a factor, will people still pay a premium on housing in close proximity to a workplace?

Will we see an evening out of prices as folks flee city centers for more rural and dispersed places? Suddenly ISPs will feel the pressure to offer broadband to strange and remote places previously unconsidered.

I had a leadership call today and followed up my regional president's chat about downsizing with a reminder to all the leaders that if they were looking to downsize and/or move to please involve me and my team so we can make sure that they are set up for success with those silly things like internet.

There was an interesting conversation I was a part of recently speculating if some of the current business parks might become apartments or condos if the commercial real estate market tanks like I suspect it will. Since a great deal of those places already have gyms and high speed internet, I wonder how hard it would be to get them remodeled...