Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

mystes posted:

I've had fancy rice cookers and dirt cheap rice cookers and honestly the dirt cheap ones are fine if you don't need a timer to start it later and are just cooking white rice.

I think people just buy the fancy ones based on logic like "if I'm going to be eating rice 3 times a day every day, I might as well splurge on a nice rice cooker."

Yeah after further research that seems to be the difference, like if you want perfect rice on tap literally throughout the day the fancy IH ones are worth, but for dinner a couple nights a week it's not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yep. The fancy ones are nice but the $20 one I got at Target two years ago also works just fine. A Zojirushi super cooker is great, but it is really designed for people who are eating rice for every meal. Or if you just have $250 to blow, sure why not.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I got a $20 Panasonic rice cooker in 2006 that I use four times a week. It makes perfect rice and nothing weird has happened.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Grand Fromage posted:

Yep. The fancy ones are nice but the $20 one I got at Target two years ago also works just fine. A Zojirushi super cooker is great, but it is really designed for people who are eating rice for every meal. Or if you just have $250 to blow, sure why not.

I still don't understand why Japanese companies like Zojirushi and Toto only sell their super fancy ultra premium lines in the US instead of the lower end stuff you can get here in Japan.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Mine is a Zojirushi and it plays a little song at the beginning and end of cooking time.

Its gigantic and was a wedding gift. I don't think I'd have bought it for myself but I love that little diddy.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Mine is a Zojirushi and it plays a little song at the beginning and end of cooking time.

Its gigantic and was a wedding gift. I don't think I'd have bought it for myself but I love that little diddy.

It's a crime against humanity that the American models don't play a clip of someone singing "Rice, Rice Baby"

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Stringent posted:

It's a crime against humanity that the American models don't play a clip of someone singing "Rice, Rice Baby"

Because it would be too easy to confuse with the song the pressure cooker plays.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Stringent posted:

I still don't understand why Japanese companies like Zojirushi and Toto only sell their super fancy ultra premium lines in the US instead of the lower end stuff you can get here in Japan.

I have seen more basic ~$60 Zojis here, but eh. I can't imagine there's much difference between that and the cheap ones.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Subjunctive posted:

Because it would be too easy to confuse with the song the pressure cooker plays.

Lmfaoooo

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Grand Fromage posted:

I have seen more basic ~$60 Zojis here, but eh. I can't imagine there's much difference between that and the cheap ones.

That's good, Toto needs to get the memo.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I feel this would be the best place to ask. I work in produce department and often get asked for chives. We don't have that, but I recommend the green parts of a green onion as a substitute. Am I loving up some dinners here?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Not materially, IMO.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Leal posted:

I feel this would be the best place to ask. I work in produce department and often get asked for chives. We don't have that, but I recommend the green parts of a green onion as a substitute. Am I loving up some dinners here?

Scallion tops will do in a pinch, but chives do have a distinct flavor that I can't really describe as anything other than chive-y. But if you don't have chives, then you aren't doing anything but helping.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Stringent posted:

That's good, Toto needs to get the memo.

You can get like $300 Totos at Home Depot.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Chemmy posted:

You can get like $300 Totos at Home Depot.

Yeah, they start at like half that here.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Leal posted:

Chives have a more mild, delicate flavor than green onion tops but ultimately it's not a huge deal. Anyone who would care enough about the difference between the two probably already knows somewhere else to find chives anyway tbh.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Subjunctive posted:

:perfect:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Subjunctive posted:

This is a very good joke.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Leal posted:

As others have said, you’re definitely not loving in any dinners. If you want to go a step further to help though, you can tell people to rinse the sliced green onion tops in cold water, then dry with a towel before using them. This will cut down on the powerful onioniness, and make them a little closer to chives.

It’s not a big deal though, and up to you if your read on the person says they want that info or not.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Hey, how do y'all thicken your sauces? Is starting with a flour + dairy base the only way to go?

Asking because while I LOVE bechamel sauce and mornay sauce, sometimes I find the flour can really dampen the flavour if I add other ingredients such as homemade stock, herbs, sauteed mushrooms and onions etc.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Fruits of the sea posted:

Hey, how do y'all thicken your sauces? Is starting with a flour + dairy base the only way to go?

Asking because while I LOVE bechamel sauce and mornay sauce, sometimes I find the flour can really dampen the flavour if I add other ingredients such as homemade stock, herbs, sauteed mushrooms and onions etc.

Flour+fat is one way, you can also dissolve corn/potato starch in a little water and then add that.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

If it’s a pasta sauce, pasta water works nicely. If I’m doing sausage and mash, I often thicken my onion gravy with a little of the potato water.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Most soups I've made are better if I just toss them in a blender and smooth em out.

I always wondered how restaurants did it. Turns out you just need an industrial food processor.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five
I wouldn't reach for it first, but xanthan gum is a thickener which has gone from an industrial food production ingredient to a common grocery store item because it's gluten free.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
oftentimes the thing that is wanted is emulsification. rouxs and starch waters forex are good emulsifiers. but soy lecithin is prolly the best emulsifier. tiny drops will do

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Sep 4, 2020

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I should probably have specified that I'm asking specifically about gravy, but thanks, now I have some things to try!

captkirk posted:

Flour+fat is one way, you can also dissolve corn/potato starch in a little water and then add that.

Oh right, starch. Why didn't I think of this. :downs:
I'll try it out next time.

Scientastic posted:

If it’s a pasta sauce, pasta water works nicely. If I’m doing sausage and mash, I often thicken my onion gravy with a little of the potato water.

Seriously, why didn't I think of starch, I've already messed around with one pot pasta. Which is pretty good although it sits in my stomach like a brick.

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Most soups I've made are better if I just toss them in a blender and smooth em out.

I always wondered how restaurants did it. Turns out you just need an industrial food processor.

To make it even creamier, cook some rice in the soup before blending. Wait, gently caress that's starch too, how did I not connect the dots.

Could be interesting to mess around with soy and xantham gum as well, thank you!

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

I should probably have specified that I'm asking specifically about gravy, but thanks, now I have some things to try!

Oh right, starch. Why didn't I think of this. :downs:
I'll try it out next time.

Seriously, why didn't I think of starch, I've already messed around with one pot pasta. Which is pretty good although it sits in my stomach like a brick.

To make it even creamier, cook some rice in the soup before blending. Wait, gently caress that's starch too, how did I not connect the dots.

Could be interesting to mess around with soy and xantham gum as well, thank you!

If you try xanthan gum, try it on some water first. I had no idea how little I needed the first time I tried using it.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
ditto w soy lecithin. big food conglomerates use both because they are cheap as gently caress in volume cuz so little is needed

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I remember when I was first fuckin around with ultratex (I think it's a modified tapioca starch?), screwing up the measurements and just getting solid bricks of gravy or water or whatever. But when you get the ratio correct, it's the most velvety thing ever and you don't even need heat to thicken.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Dunno if it qualifies as a thickening agent or not, but stock with lots of collagen adds a nice mouthfeel and some body. I got a couple kg of veal bones and made demi glace a few months ago and just dropping a cube or two of that in a sauce/gravy has a nice effect.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Stringent posted:

stock with lots of collagen

I think that is the purpose of chicken feet. I dont think anyone actually eats them, but put in a crockpot overnight for very thick, rich broth.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

excellent bird guy posted:

I think that is the purpose of chicken feet. I dont think anyone actually eats them, but put in a crockpot overnight for very thick, rich broth.

People eat chicken feet, they are really popular in Asia.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Brown rice from a Zojirushi is a lot better than it was from our crappy Amana. The white rice is also better if we don't use the quick setting.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Stringent posted:

Dunno if it qualifies as a thickening agent or not, but stock with lots of collagen adds a nice mouthfeel and some body. I got a couple kg of veal bones and made demi glace a few months ago and just dropping a cube or two of that in a sauce/gravy has a nice effect.

Approximately how long would you say it takes to make a really thick stock? I get jello consistency (when chilled) with a mix of beef and chicken bones after 5 to 6 hours, but it isn't particularly thick after heating. Haven't pushed it farther yet due to time constraints.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Approximately how long would you say it takes to make a really thick stock? I get jello consistency (when chilled) with a mix of beef and chicken bones after 5 to 6 hours, but it isn't particularly thick after heating. Haven't pushed it farther yet due to time constraints.

Dunno, I've never made a stock that would jellify at room temperature, so I guess my experience aligns with yours.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
make a demi, hope you didnt salt the stock

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Yeah, salted stock is an abomination.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

The lazy way

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

If you have a pressure cooker that has as much leftover chicken bones as water (or brand new chicken feet and/or wings), it takes 1 hour under pressure.

https://i.imgur.com/Fls08Vx.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Eater
Aug 27, 2020
Is there a way to tell for sure if your oven runs too hot?