Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love
Anyone played long enough to see what the gently caress happens when the mongols stroll in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

What's the best way of making sure this doesn't implode in a hilarious pile of jarls all deciding the best time to assassinate the new king is right now?

In my game the AI seemed much more keen on factions than assassinations. Try to make sure you don't have any very powerful vassals - maybe imprison and execute now, so your heir doesn't have to. Then have your heir study diplomacy and befriending.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Africa is fun. I have 0 idea who's going to inherit what because my character has 7 children and her husband has another 6, some of them not of my dynasty. I'm embracing the chaos, even if it means that my heir will have a single county when he inherits.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Moldy Sausage posted:

It seems like a lot of effort just to take a single county though. Especially since I have to wait for the truce to end to even try to take a second one. Is there really no way to press multiple claims at once?

There is, but it's gated behind the Divine Right innovation (High Medieval era, post-1050).

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Okay, how do I change my lifestyle focus again?

By far, the thing I trip over the most is that when I select a character as guardian/marriage partner/invite to court, I do it by selecting the box to the right of their face, rather than by selecting their face.

Little button right next to your guy or girl’s portrait in the bottom left

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I’m sure this has been asked and answered a bunch of times before, but...

So there’s no way to attach to an ally’s army, right? Or get them to attach to you?

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Protip: Be a shitheel and kick your opponents while they're busy doing other poo poo.

It's very nice to grab a duchy with 0 resistance because all their troops are far away and/or being shredded by 1-2 other wars.
It's nice that you can see how other wars are going, if your target is currently in a war or two, and they're losing atleast one of them then you know they'll have problems keeping up with you.

Cleaning out the british isles of swedish and danish influence is way easier to do while they're busy circle-hatefucking west francia. :toot:

(If you click on a character you can see what wars and truces they currently have going, and how they're progressing. If they're doing badly in a defensive war you know their teeth have been pre-kicked in.
If they're doiing well in an agressive war you can guess that most of their soldiers are off over there.)

Vinny Possum
Sep 21, 2015

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Fat Samurai posted:

Africa is fun. I have 0 idea who's going to inherit what because my character has 7 children and her husband has another 6, some of them not of my dynasty. I'm embracing the chaos, even if it means that my heir will have a single county when he inherits.

Best way to play, imho. People who hate partition hate fun.

yorkinshire
Apr 28, 2009

In space no one can hear your dope beats.
One minor issue I have is my character has the honest trait so he gained stress blackmailing but I could not find any indication that blackmailing causes my character stress, I just happened to notice it was happening.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

drat, the UI is so, so much improved. I tried over and over and over again to play CK2 and couldn't do anything in the tutorial after I started having to declare wars. This time I'm 7 hours in and actually making progress on conquering Ireland. It's all going to go poo poo when I die and my sons start fighting, but welp.

Just lured a claimant to court so I could marry off my daughter, but he had lovers' pox. Oh well.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

yorkinshire posted:

One minor issue I have is my character has the honest trait so he gained stress blackmailing but I could not find any indication that blackmailing causes my character stress, I just happened to notice it was happening.

Yeah, it should have come up in the text box over what you'll get out of the interaction and etc.
I do wish the stress icon was visible on every thing that causes stress, or more visible.
I think it only really shows clearly on event screens, it's easy to overlook it on for example the grant claim screen, etc.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
My 3 learning ruler was invited to a feast by one of his vassals. Where the vassal carried on a long conversation dryly praising me on how much of a genius I am while my king was spilling soup on himself lol

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

Anyone played long enough to see what the gently caress happens when the mongols stroll in?

They showed up in my playing past the tutorial Ireland game, and since I was on the other side of the world I didn't really pay much attention to them but when I vaguely remembered them later I went over to check and they were just gone. So you get a notification when they show up but they may not amount to much (it is possible that they conquered a bunch of territory then broke up into a bunch of successor states on Temujin's death, there was a good 50 year gap between when they showed up and when I remember to actually go check on them).

SubNat posted:

Yeah, it should have come up in the text box over what you'll get out of the interaction and etc.
I do wish the stress icon was visible on every thing that causes stress, or more visible.
I think it only really shows clearly on event screens, it's easy to overlook it on for example the grant claim screen, etc.

Yeah I've noticed a few UI problems in windows that are non-standard, like the blackmail button. The one that I've noticed a lot is that if someone comes to you asking to pay the ransom of the prisoner you have in your dungeon, nowhere on the window does it indicate what they are actually offering for them.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Sep 3, 2020

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Carillon posted:

What's been the most successful men-at-arms combos people have found? I've been messing around with it a little but not sure I've found a winning combo just yet.

I don't know if there's a surefire preset. Best you can probably do is just look at the terrain of the area you're expecting fighting in and recruit according to that. You'll still need variety to deal with counters.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

a7m2 posted:

I just got the Norman Yoke achievement. That was really fun and I barely made it. A year later my ruler died. I had to do some pretty heinous poo poo to get it all in place lol

CK3.txt "I had to do some pretty heinous poo poo". It's not pithy, but it's sure true.

I decided to go hard and tried Urraca the Brotherfucker. She murdered every one of her brothers and everyone else that stood in between her and all of the titles that made up her father's lands except the ones that went to her son. She died feared and hated, but her son (WITH HER BROTHER) inherited all the kingdoms himself and was sitting pretty. The only reason she wasn't the mother of Spain was because her son was born and inherited the last kingdom she needed. (well, wanted. I wanted Navarra too)

She was never found out killing her brothers. She was feared and hated because she made a last ditch attempt to take out a ruler before she died, the plot got discovered (though not her involvement), so she went to kidnapping. Kidnapped the ruler in question, went "gently caress it" and executed them and ate the tyranny. Then she dropped dead. Did it all for you, little Alfonso!

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Sep 3, 2020

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
I love that there's already a mod that lets you make your characters nudists. Can't wait to rule w/ an iron fist and big ol swinging grandma titties.

fakeedit: dear god the implications this mod has for loverslab....

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

I love that there's already a mod that lets you make your characters nudists. Can't wait to rule w/ an iron fist and big ol swinging grandma titties.

It's not a mod. That's in the base game.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It's not a mod. That's in the base game.

Good god man!

Jaytan
Dec 14, 2003

Childhood enlistment means fewer birthdays to remember

You don’t need a mod, it’s built into the game. Convert to Adamite if you’re playing Christian. There’s probably other religions with the tenet.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

UrbicaMortis posted:

Partition gives your primary title to your heir and then splits them off starting at equal rank, so a second kingdom would go to someone else and become independent. Basically you have to hold an empire title if you want to keep multiple kingdom titles across characters without primo.

Wait, so how the hell are the Castillians holding on to Castille/Leon/Galicia over multiple generations early on in 1066? They shouldn't have access to Primo yet :psyduck:

They should have exploded by now but they've been nothing but rock solid.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

I have a genius + lunatic old man steward that prances around in the nude and converts counties to my culture like nobody's business.
( I assume it's because people just immediately go 'yeah sure I'll convert, just please leave, and maybe put some clothes on.)

Also, witches are rad.
At some point I picked up witchcraft and started spreading it to my court, and now I can make my house be a witch coven.

My dude already has 2 'medium boosts' to health before that, not to mention the +50% or so fertility I already have.
Kids are popping out like popcorn.

I just wish it was easier to get concubines, you really have to do a song and dance to get say, someone with interesting traits into your court to concubine up.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
What I want now is a list of counties with 4-5 holding slots. Knowing my heir will inherit both castle holdings even in partition is a big boost.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Oh god Alfred is not going to stop the Viking invasion the AI knows it can curbstomp you.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Captain Oblivious posted:

Wait, so how the hell are the Castillians holding on to Castille/Leon/Galicia over multiple generations early on in 1066? They shouldn't have access to Primo yet :psyduck:

They should have exploded by now but they've been nothing but rock solid.

Lots of single-son generations? Alternatively maybe the AI has been deliberately disinherting people to keep the titles together, although I'm not actually sure if AI dynasty heads will use that ability.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The Spanish Catholics get a unique decision to consolidate their own kingdom by destroying the other Spanish kingdom titles, once they own all of Leon, Castille, and Galicia.

If you see a Spanish monarch with the “Father of Spain” nickname then you know they’ve used it!

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

The only problem is, Björn is almost 70 years old and could die at any moment, and I'm worried about what's going to happen to the succession. Literally everyone loves the poo poo out of Björn and his 26 diplomacy, but that's not going to be the case for his heir. All the kingdoms are going to end up going to different children, some of which are wee babs (the king keeps, allegedly, producing more of them). What's the best way of making sure this doesn't implode in a hilarious pile of jarls all deciding the best time to assassinate the new king is right now?

I passed Scandinavian Elective, hooked a number of electors and forced them to all vote for my nominated heir across 6 kingdoms.
Or rush for Empire of Scandinavia and make that your primary title.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
What's the mechanic that means the pope can just eat a big chunk out of italy? Benevento start is pretty hard between italy and byzantine gobbling up the available counties if you don't act fast then sometimes you just get hosed because they magically become part of the papacy and I don't know why.

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

Alchenar posted:

Oh god Alfred is not going to stop the Viking invasion the AI knows it can curbstomp you.

Playing as Alfred loving owns. The nonstop fighting means my piety is always going up and the Pope is just dumping gold on me.

Tip: Hire mercs. Always have a merc contract up.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Carillon posted:

What's been the most successful men-at-arms combos people have found? I've been messing around with it a little but not sure I've found a winning combo just yet.

I've found heavy infantry, archers, and pikemen to be a pretty good combo. You get decent terrain bonuses for the archers and the heavy infantry and pikemen are an excellent screening force for the AI combo of Pikeman + Light Horse that I see the most.

Has anyone put any thought into duchy buildings? I think a really good argument can be made for almost any of the buildings so I'm having option paralysis

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Jay Rust posted:

The Spanish Catholics get a unique decision to consolidate their own kingdom by destroying the other Spanish kingdom titles, once they own all of Leon, Castille, and Galicia.

If you see a Spanish monarch with the “Father of Spain” nickname then you know they’ve used it!

Yeah, that's what happened in the story I mentioned. I made sure my son would inherit all of it (since he had a title I wanted merged in anyway) and when I died, he could take that decision.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Jay Rust posted:

Those sons of bitches! :argh:

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Swedish Horror posted:

Playing as Alfred loving owns. The nonstop fighting means my piety is always going up and the Pope is just dumping gold on me.

But you have seven gold, where has all your gold go-

Swedish Horror posted:

Tip: Hire mercs. Always have a merc contract up.

Got it

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

The malus for a powerful vassal not having a seat on the council is real frustrating. -40 is brutal.

I keep having factions being created to overthrow me and based on the maluses it's purely on the basis that I can't fit everyone in my five council seats. I've got eight dukes and without fail the three that I can't fit always start a war to install someone else.

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

The malus for a powerful vassal not having a seat on the council is real frustrating. -40 is brutal.

I keep having factions being created to overthrow me and based on the maluses it's purely on the basis that I can't fit everyone in my five council seats. I've got eight dukes and without fail the three that I can't fit always start a war to install someone else.

Sounds like you need to become more dreadful. When vassals are intimidated or terrified of you, they stay out of factions. I believe you can also use hooks to keep them out as well.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
What's the best way to gently caress over my nieces and get back the land that's rightfully mine?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I sure love my cat, ERROR_FLAG_INDEX

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
It's hard to be sure on the men-at-arms since I don't have hard numbers for how terrain advantage and counters work but it seems to be reasonably balanced. House Guard are extremely good and cheap since they're a dynasty perk, cultural troops are usually a bit above average in their role, horse archers and longbowmen both seem like they have very good numbers for their cost if you have them.

Down in Africa I've been using sahel horsemen, because they have pretty good numbers and are my cultural unit, and pikemen, because everyone is using sahel horsemen for me to counter, tribals don't have any heavy infantry to counter the pikes and there are quite a lot of hills around. The nearby AIs seem fond of fielding their cultural units, skirmishers and the occasional archer.

Again, really hard to be sure though. Also not sure how much value to give to pursuit and screen, which as I understand are effectively damage and toughness when retreating.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Love the character designs and animations and wardrobes

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.
I have a question. I'm in a Bohemia game where I have successfully united the West Slavs in the mid 1300s. Now I'm thinking about leaving the HRE, but I don't know if player created empires are in the game, or if it's only the de jure empires. Does the game have custom empires like in ck2, or not?

Current state of Europe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Ol' popeface is chucking a crusade / great holy war at my face for trying to set up a kingdom in England.

How... do you defend against a crusade?
Do you just try to stomp the enemy down as best you can, and eventually they run out of steam, or do you have to go on the counter-offensive?
(Which seems super hard, since the fuckers participating against me are just a load of dukes and etc spread over half of europe.)

SpaceViking posted:

I have a question. I'm in a Bohemia game where I have successfully united the West Slavs in the mid 1300s. Now I'm thinking about leaving the HRE, but I don't know if player created empires are in the game, or if it's only the de jure empires. Does the game have custom empires like in ck2, or not?

There are custom empires, as a decision. Just gotta have enough titles and land and etc to chuck 'em together. (Custom kingdoms too)
It's a game rule that's on by default, too.