Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

DrDork posted:

If you get a custom loop, you can legitimately do this if you care to. Just need to fabricate some blocks for the tubes to go through the window. Easy day.

In my case it’s less about not being able to as far as assembly goes, I move my desktop entirely too much- I actually don’t watercool at all because of that. It spends too much time in the car for work trips and the like for me to want to risk it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Jensen is really not liking the equity market today don't worry though stocks only go up?? And if anything tech is undervalued right

These pumped stocks are literally just commodity-esque speculative gambling, fun though if you have the stomach for it.

Taima fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Sep 3, 2020

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Back when I had a 580 when it was new (I'm not going to bother looking up what year this was) there was a big ice storm and we lost power for like 3 days. When the power came back the heat was broken in the building for whatever reason. I ran folding@home to keep warm.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Taima posted:

Jensen is really not liking the equity market today don't worry though stocks only go up?? And if anything tech is undervalued right

I mean, it's just back to the level it was a week ago. Stocks are strange and do weird poo poo and at this point anyone who claims they understand how they work is fuckin' lying.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

It's gambling that's all it is, what's funny is the people acting like they're making uber rational plays or that the market is based on literally anything besides fed guarantees combined with no safe harbor for liquidity

Plus the people who put idiotic WSB-level calls that end up resolving favorably and think they're the next warren buffet while 20 other first grade robinhoodies zeroed out

I hate this market. I hate it so much. Which is why I allocated mostly into bonds. I just have absolutely no stomach for this poo poo. I'll take a negative yield, I actually get to sleep at night

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

DrDork posted:

I mean, it's just back to the level it was a week ago. Stocks are strange and do weird poo poo and at this point anyone who claims they understand how they work is fuckin' lying.

are you telling me that the youtube guru who is gonna lift me out of my bubble tea job is lying???

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

:capitalism::dehumanize:

I'm assuming we'll have to wait for independent reviews to see how much it'll be worth going from a 2080 ti to a 3080. Yes?

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Always wait for independent reviews if you value your money.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Yes everyone should wait so I can actually loving get one before 2021

And that's the 3080, as far as I can tell they've made like eight total 3090s based on how little they're trying to sell it as a real product.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Stickman posted:

Always wait for independent reviews if you value your money.

I don't so :homebrew:

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
My house mugged me for $25k in repairs and is lining up for another $15k at least next year so all of a sudden a 3090 doesn't seem like a big deal while also being hideously expensive. Not sure what to make of this feeling.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

If either my aging 770/4670k setup or civilization as we know it eats poo poo before I get my hands on a new 3080 rig I'll be pretty bummed

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

AirRaid posted:

So I just checked when I actually bought my current PSU.

It was uh. 2007. :ohdear:

So to fully round out this shitshow of a story, I opened my case to throw more RAM at it today and realised that my PSU is actually so old it only has a single 8 pin PCI-E connector. All the rest are 6 pins, not even 6+2.

I've ordered a new PSU. Went 850W to give myself some headroom (for ~£20 it was worth it)

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic

MarcusSA posted:

I don't so :homebrew:

Same. I'm going from a 1080ti to a 3090 I think. A 3080 probably makes more sense for my 1440p/144hz setup (though, I do VR and plan on getting a new higher def headset), but I made $2k in two weeks on Nvidia stock so I feel compelled to use those ill gotten gains on stupid overkill.

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

Taima posted:

Yes everyone should wait so I can actually loving get one before 2021

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Lockback posted:

Lol, you think you're going to be able to get one in 2 weeks?

They will be sold out insanely fast.
Bookmarking this, in case I get into the first wave of FE cards.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Has anyone here actually missed an Nvidia card at launch despite being ready to go when the sales went live? Not like, an hour later, but like, being on the site the moment it becomes available.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Shogunner posted:

Has anyone here actually missed an Nvidia card at launch despite being ready to go when the sales went live? Not like, an hour later, but like, being on the site the moment it becomes available.

Being on the site the moment it's available is usually the trick, though, especially if your retailer of choice isn't going to publicize when that'll be.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Re: availability, something isn't right here. Nvidia is being strangely secretive about the card specifics and if anything, is kind of downplaying the whole thing. the presentation was short and light on details. It feels very paper-launch-ish. And beyond that, we know Samsung's nodes are kind of poo poo. It's very easy to believe that they could be underyielding.

Then you have the 3090, where Nvidia is almost begging you not to buy it. The price/performance is ludicrously, almost unbearably terrible (from what we can tell so far). It kinda seems like they want the card to exist so they can say it exists, but it's not available in much quantity and they don't really seem to want to sell it to anyone.

In short there's just a bunch of weird aspects to this launch that feel... not fleshed out. I don't trust availability this time.

I don't know if we've EVER seen a price/performance as terrible as the 3090 vs the 3080 in the history of GPUs (for gaming specifically). Nvidia seems to understand that as they aren't even attempting to convince people to buy it in any meaningful way.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
segmentation on Turing was laughable and several cards had seemingly no market outside of "store didn't have X and I need a card now so I guess I just spend 50/70 more dollars on a card that has no improvement"

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The 3090 isn't for the average person / gamer. The market that they are selling it to was already going to buy it before it was announced because they want the biggest and bestest and have the money to spend on it.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Obviously, but it doesn't change the fact that they are, on purpose, not doing any meaningful marketing on their own top sku, which is totally loving weird.

That's just not how marketing works, period. I'm in silicon valley tech marketing. gently caress man we've partnered with Nvidia, I have the staff mug to prove it. This poo poo is not right.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy
Its probably just so they can keep the halo position miles outside of AMDs reach even in the billion to one odds AMD is able to compete with the 3080 nvidia can still go haha thats not even my final form and still keep the crown

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Taima posted:

I don't know if we've EVER seen a price/performance as terrible as the 3090 vs the 3080 in the history of GPUs (for gaming specifically). Nvidia seems to understand that as they aren't even attempting to convince people to buy it in any meaningful way.

The RTX Titan launched at $2,500, and has 4608 CUDA cores vs 4352 on the 2080 Ti that was nominally $999 (when EVGA decided to stock them). On average, it was about 6% faster. So yeah, I know its easy to forget stuff over time, but the 3090 is more like a half price Titan that performs even ... better?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Cygni posted:

The RTX Titan launched at $2,500, and has 4608 CUDA cores vs 4352 on the 2080 Ti that was nominally $999 (when EVGA decided to stock them). On average, it was about 6% faster. So yeah, I know its easy to forget stuff over time, but the 3090 is more like a half price Titan that performs even ... better?

Indeed. If the 3090 is actually the Titan replacement, then they've actually made it enormously more price:performance competitive vs the xx80 than in previous generations.

Which means it's still a terrible deal in an objective sense.

Taima posted:

Obviously, but it doesn't change the fact that they are, on purpose, not doing any meaningful marketing on their own top sku, which is totally loving weird.

That's just not how marketing works, period. I'm in silicon valley tech marketing. gently caress man we've partnered with Nvidia, I have the staff mug to prove it. This poo poo is not right.

When did you ever see an ad for a Titan? loving never. Because if you're the type of person who might actually consider buying one, you don't need anyone throwing ads at you in the first place--you already know what you're going for. They don't need to sell you. Same way you don't really see ads for Maybachs: they just don't need to bother.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Broose posted:

I wanna run the latest games at ultra-high detail at 1440p 144Hz. I hope there are reviews out before they get released. I have a nagging feeling that a 3080 will just barely not be able to do 144Hz consistently. Also I feel like it could use an extra 2GB more VRAM. 10 feels like something that will be reached fairly soon and won't have the staying power of it's predecessors. I'm sure a 3080 Ti/Super/Whatever they release in a year will be what I want. Maybe I'm over reacting, but after dealing with my 970's lack of vram getting in the way, I really want it to not be a problem anymore or ever again. 3090 is hard to justify since there is even less info on it, I really want to see how it compares to a 3080.

A 3080 is going to have no problem running those games with high settings for many many years. Especially if you're at least somewhat realistic with your targets. If you need to hit 144FPS in every single game including highly cinematic single player games, you're probably going to have to run those on high settings instead of ultra to compensate for some feature that can barely be seen in screenshots but tanks frames by 12%. If you absolutely have to have every detail cranked to max, you ideally have an adaptive sync monitor and like almost everyone can't tell the difference between 120FPS and 144.

It's chasing Ultra/Extreme forever in every new game on release that's only ever going to bite you. An x80 card should run everything at high detail for it's competitive life, and extreme settings in any AAA big budget masterpiece should only be played on hardware that didn't exist yet when it was released.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Cygni posted:

Yeah. That's what I was trying to communicate by saying (for gaming) because Nvidia has not positioned this card for compute, they've literally only positioned it for gaming. Absolutely zero mention of compute. Therefore I am going to compare it versus gaming offerings, as that's how it's being offered.

Go to the Titan RTX landing page and tell me how much they talk about gaming.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

They don't need to market because at this point they can probably sell more of them than they are actually capable of making.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

And they've left room in the lineup to add a Titan and Super/Ti models later. Don't be surprised if the $2500 card appears, months from now.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

How does 1440p look on a 4k TV? I'm not too discerning so I'm guessing its probably fine. Just wondering if I don't get the 4k performance I want then I could bump it down to 1440.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Running at a non-native resolution is never ideal, but if you have to drop down on a 4k TV you want to go down to 1080p since it's a perfect 1/4th.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Taima posted:

Yeah. That's what I was trying to communicate by saying (for gaming) because Nvidia has not positioned this card for compute, they've literally only positioned it for gaming. Absolutely zero mention of compute. Therefore I am going to compare it versus gaming offerings, as that's how it's being offered.

Go to the Titan RTX landing page and tell me how much they talk about gaming.

I was talking about the actual performance and their price points. Call it the pee pee poo poo 420 and market it exclusively to british dads on twitter who get upset about the noise from trains, it doesn't change the performance.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
I'll try for a 3080 on the 17th but if it becomes a huge pain to find I'll just go "gently caress it" and get the 3090 instead and hold onto that for 3 years (how long I had my 1080Ti for). The amount of money I've spent on FGO exceeds the cost of the 3090 by a fair margin anyway so whatever, it's not like I have a social life or go out to eat or anything.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Combat Pretzel posted:

I honestly hope I can eat crow on this because the complete lack of pre-orders really does not bode well for their anticipated stock at launch.

I'm sure it'll normalize but it might be a little bit for it to get there.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I think it's pretty lovely if the independent reviews are under embargo until the day sales open up.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I think it's pretty lovely if the independent reviews are under embargo until the day sales open up.

what's the usual timetable like?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

yeah people should look at how Nvidia positioned Turing and prior Titans versus this weird-rear end 8K streamer gamer poo poo that they're doing with the 3090.

compute users don't need public advertising but they need to know how well it crunches numbers. and showing dumb stats about DLSS doing 8X+ upscaling to 8K isn't useful. at the very least, talk about stuff like fp32 accumulate being unlocked at full-rate for the Titan versus the consumer cards which was a thing for Turing compute.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

and regarding conspicuous consumption by computer touchers these days, it's not about buying $1500 GPUs.
it's paying a couple mill for a property in manhattan in cash after selling your tech stocks.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

DrDork posted:

When did you ever see an ad for a Titan? loving never. Because if you're the type of person who might actually consider buying one, you don't need anyone throwing ads at you in the first place--you already know what you're going for. They don't need to sell you. Same way you don't really see ads for Maybachs: they just don't need to bother.

You don’t see ads for Maybachs because the brand was an utter failure that never even hit 10% of its sales goals, and now it’s just a trim line for the S-class. When Maybachs were a thing, Mercedes spent money on marketing them. It worked, too, given that you’re still thinking of the brand as the epitome of a plutocrat’s car almost a decade after they shut down production.

Bentley fields race teams, and Rolls-Royce gives free cars to royalty, for the same reasons.

More generally, the point of these “biggest and fastest in all the land” halo products is marketing in and of itself. People will base 1660 and 3060-tier purchasing decisions on the existence of Titans and 3090s, even though it’s not rational - but only if they’ve got marketing that makes them think about Titans and 3090s. The fact that Nvidia released a halo card without any marketing around it is weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

lol