Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Snagged a permit to get into RMNP yesterday, and it was an absolute zoo by 8AM (I could only get the 8AM-10AM slot), which is par for the course but frustrating on a weekday. To make up for it I hiked myself, a couple rods, a sandwich and a few beers up to one of my favorite spots in the park, and turns out the place is loaded with trout. A+++ would fish there again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

The park’s got some monsters in it.

Beautiful fish. Well done.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
god that's just stunning scenery. I'm so tired of flat-rear end Illinois

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Poque posted:

This is not an empty quote.

nerox
May 20, 2001

Beautiful trout, but this one made me laugh cause he just looks so surprised.

dieselfruit
Feb 21, 2013

Slotducks posted:

Honestly? that five of diamonds alone should do the trick - I run a size 0 whenever I get skunked and usually pick something on it for the day. The red/yellow/green spinner will do work for you too - as well as the black meps on a clear water day too.

If you can, grab a cheap popper or two - they're excellent top waters to use when the water is super calm.

Other than that - Wacky rigging has been working for me all summer too - I fish mostly west of Six Mile Lake though.

prom candy posted:

My in-laws' cottage is right near Algonquin and I do pretty much all my fishing there. The Yamamoto worms are good but if you can get your hands on some ned rigs (using the zman TRD) that should pretty much guarantee you a smallmouth. Mepps are usually pretty good for a bite. I catch gently caress all on spoons, crankbaits, and jerk baits but we really only have smallies in our lake. Only time I've caught a laker is trolling in early spring. Once it warms up they're down deep.

Thanks dudes, will report back.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

DeesGrandpa posted:

Snagged a permit to get into RMNP yesterday, and it was an absolute zoo by 8AM (I could only get the 8AM-10AM slot), which is par for the course but frustrating on a weekday. To make up for it I hiked myself, a couple rods, a sandwich and a few beers up to one of my favorite spots in the park, and turns out the place is loaded with trout. A+++ would fish there again

Are those goldens? They look gorgeous. I am so loving jealous. Once this COVID thing is under control I'm going to hit up CO and WY for some trout fishing.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Poque posted:

I live in Charleston and people are always making GBS threads themselves talking about how beautiful it is and I’m like “uhhhhhh have you even been to the loving Rockies?”

It took me whole days to accept how beautiful everything is there. Stunning.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

LeeMajors posted:

I live in Charleston and people are always making GBS threads themselves talking about how beautiful it is and I’m like “uhhhhhh have you even been to the loving Rockies?”

It took me whole days to accept how beautiful everything is there. Stunning.
Charleston is amazing though. Lots of green space with live oaks. Stunning. But in a different way.

Also has amazing fishing.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Dik Hz posted:

Charleston is amazing though. Lots of green space with live oaks. Stunning. But in a different way.

Also has amazing fishing.

Charleston is trying really hard to be antebellum Disneyland while ignoring climate change and building McMansions on every square inch, but yeah it’s pretty enough.

The fishing is good if you’ve got a skinny water boat and a pastel colored acg flappy fishing shirt, sure.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
Hey gang... going to be heading to Destin in a couple weeks and would love to fish some while there. Will have to be all from shore.... I guess beach into surf? I dunno. I guess that is what I am asking. If you were going to take some equipment normally used for large mouth and try to adapt it to a couple days in Destin/on the Gulf... what sort of baits would you take and how/where should I be casting? Any info you got would be helpful

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

LeeMajors posted:

Charleston is trying really hard to be antebellum Disneyland while ignoring climate change and building McMansions on every square inch, but yeah it’s pretty enough.

The fishing is good if you’ve got a skinny water boat and a pastel colored acg flappy fishing shirt, sure.
Yeah, the touristy part of Charleston is playing up the antebellum links, but there's a lot more to the city than that.

Got any tips on fishing Charleston? I've done the fly-fishing for tailing reds in southeast LA. Is that a thing in Charleston also? I live a couple hours away and would totally make a trip out of it if there's a shot at fly-casting tailing reds.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Dik Hz posted:

Got any tips on fishing Charleston?

Sheepshead.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Syano posted:

Hey gang... going to be heading to Destin in a couple weeks and would love to fish some while there. Will have to be all from shore.... I guess beach into surf? I dunno. I guess that is what I am asking. If you were going to take some equipment normally used for large mouth and try to adapt it to a couple days in Destin/on the Gulf... what sort of baits would you take and how/where should I be casting? Any info you got would be helpful

fishing Florida from the beach can be a ton of fun but I think it might be tough with bass gear. What size rod are you planning on bringing along? I ask because getting over the breaking waves is going to be important.

Also, watch some videos on identifying riptides and how to fish them. It’s going to do a lot of the work for you if you can find one.

As for baits/lures, it really depends. Do you want to throw out a Carolina rig with cut bait and let it soak or do you prefer a more active process. If you want to be active, I fished destin wish some z man plastics that worked really well. They have a great wiggle to them and are pretty durable so you can use them over and over

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
Rod size might be an issue. Longest I have is a 7ft medium power. I'd probably prefer throwing plastics and doing a bit more power fishing as it were. I'm not opposed to tossing live bait but I prefer a bit more active casting and retrieving. I'll look up some videos on rip tides.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Dik Hz posted:

Yeah, the touristy part of Charleston is playing up the antebellum links, but there's a lot more to the city than that.

Got any tips on fishing Charleston? I've done the fly-fishing for tailing reds in southeast LA. Is that a thing in Charleston also? I live a couple hours away and would totally make a trip out of it if there's a shot at fly-casting tailing reds.

Yeah but it’s impossible from banks—so unless you have a boat hookup there are guides tripping over their dicks with capt licenses and croakies ready to hit the skinny water for a fee.

I’m not sure how La is but it’s super seasonal with tailing here but we’ve got plenty of flats ripe for the mining. Or big surf piggies in the fall.

And yeah I’ve lived here most of my life and it’s a fine place but people are too hung up on slow water and spartina.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!

KingKapalone posted:

Do tube baits need a specific jig head to work or can I just use some of the round ones I have?

You usually use a specific jig head, at least with the smaller tubes. The head is more cylindrical, so it fits better in the tube

ETA: like this guy here https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Big_Bite_Baits_Tube_Head_Jig_5pk/descpage-BBBTHDJ.html

Stalizard fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Sep 5, 2020

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

pulled two extra softbaits out of a bass today lol

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
He's a fuckin go getter!

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Gooch181 posted:

He's a fuckin go getter!

Or a slow learner

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Lol free bait

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
Spent far too much time hiking than fishing today. My usual spot was overrun, so I decided to play Google Roulette and try a new spot. Of course greatly misjudged some distances.
Man, never suit up in full waders and heavy rubber soled boots until you know just how far you need to hike, I walked 3 miles in with full kit and my fishing pack like it was boot camp.
Best part, only bluegills and dinky bass. :( I did get to make a kid happy and save his dad's rep after rolling in and pulling a fish on my first cast. Gave them a pack of plastic worms, showed how to rig it, they hooked up right away. Of course they couldn't wade in under the bridge we were at but it was good enough for them.
Of course then the dad tells me I could have parked at the other end of the trail and saved myself 2.5 miles. Oh well, next time!

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Decided to take a little fishing trip today. Headed up to Summit County to fish the Blue, then up to the Colorado through Granby, and back to Denver. Only caught one fish all day (12” rainbow), almost landed another, and had a few refusals on a hippie stomper and a purple chubby chernobyl. For whatever reason I just can’t figure out freestones. The difference in structure makes it much more difficult to spot fish, and it feels like you constantly have to change your rigging — one spot will call for a hopper-dropper, then 30’ later you’re in a run that requires going deeper than Ed Harris in The Abyss. Are you deep enough? Are you using the right pattern? Who knows! :iiam:

In contrast, most tailwaters (I’m looking at you, Deckers) are fairly straightforward from a water-reading standpoint. Sure, the fish are spooky as hell, but it’s easy to tell where they are and at least get a fly to them.

Oh, and everything is on fire.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Sep 8, 2020

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

LegionAreI posted:

Spent far too much time hiking than fishing today. My usual spot was overrun, so I decided to play Google Roulette and try a new spot. Of course greatly misjudged some distances.
Man, never suit up in full waders and heavy rubber soled boots until you know just how far you need to hike, I walked 3 miles in with full kit and my fishing pack like it was boot camp.
Best part, only bluegills and dinky bass. :( I did get to make a kid happy and save his dad's rep after rolling in and pulling a fish on my first cast. Gave them a pack of plastic worms, showed how to rig it, they hooked up right away. Of course they couldn't wade in under the bridge we were at but it was good enough for them.
Of course then the dad tells me I could have parked at the other end of the trail and saved myself 2.5 miles. Oh well, next time!
Reminds me of a time I went morel mushroom hunting. I did a 5 mile circuit hike and the only morels I found were within sight of my car on the tail-end of the hike. Oh well, found mushrooms. That spot was productive for a good 3 years, so I'm OK with it.

Edit: Also, if there are any newbees or irregulars in here, we have an active discord that is very welcoming and you'll get advice and discussion from other fishing goons. And a custom name color if you catch a fish on a dickspoon. Come join us: https://discord.gg/KfqjK9

Dik Hz fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Sep 9, 2020

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

The dickspoons are not a joke. I caught a tiger muskie with one.

Edit: picture uploaded upside down, I’ll fix it with non-potato quality soon

Only registered members can see post attachments!

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

crazypeltast52 posted:

The dickspoons are not a joke. I caught a tiger muskie with one.

Edit: picture uploaded upside down, I’ll fix it with non-potato quality soon

drat

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Here it is, it bit me too as I took out the hook (grab pliers first kids!), so it has tasted human blood, but I am not a were-muskie. That I know of at least... Hopefully this one hasn't developed a taste for human, there are beaches on that lake.

Caught it casting from shore at a city lake in Minneapolis. It looks like the DNR puts about 200 fingerlings every other year so this one has been hanging out for a bit.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

My line broke right next to shore, so someone walking by got to see me going in with a net that wouldn't fit the fish to wrestle it on shore to save my dickspoon.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

crazypeltast52 posted:

My line broke right next to shore, so someone walking by got to see me going in with a net that wouldn't fit the fish to wrestle it on shore to save my dickspoon.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > The Great Outdoors > Fishing thread: wrestling the fish onto shore to save my dickspoon

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

crazypeltast52 posted:

Here it is, it bit me too as I took out the hook (grab pliers first kids!), so it has tasted human blood, but I am not a were-muskie. That I know of at least... Hopefully this one hasn't developed a taste for human, there are beaches on that lake.

Caught it casting from shore at a city lake in Minneapolis. It looks like the DNR puts about 200 fingerlings every other year so this one has been hanging out for a bit.

did this dude just win the derby

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I think it is the current leading contender on the 15g dickspoon, but your catfish spot looks like it could beat that if that fish from this weekend is anything to go by!

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Until I catch a tuna on a dicklure

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
I should get a dickspoon (huge, natch) and go for some sharks

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I feel that catching a loving muskie on a dickspoon is so loving epic that they win by default.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

King of Bees posted:

I should get a dickspoon (huge, natch) and go for some sharks

Don't just talk about it, do it.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

I should make a dick spinner. Helicopter dick, fish love the helicopter dick

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

The old meat spinner, as it were.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

crazypeltast52 posted:

I think it is the current leading contender on the 15g dickspoon, but your catfish spot looks like it could beat that if that fish from this weekend is anything to go by!

oh that was on some dead funky shrimp. Both of my dickspoons got lost on the bottom the first trip and i need to order some more

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

crazypeltast52 posted:

There are dick spooners this close to me?! Lake Harriet? We would walk down and catch easy bass by the bandshell. Just moved a bit west though so need to find a new local lake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
I finally got some dickspoon replacements; never employing them without checking for snags with inferior tackle first.

(And then promptly casting into a tree)