Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

VacaGrande posted:

Man, if people are living there, you really don't want any part of this. And what kind of terrible city/county/park/whatever puts the burden of evicting homeless people on their trails contractor?

First time I've felt legit queasy over a contract

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
It looks like it's just cleanup, is it possible they have already moved on?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Had a little bit of a crash at whistler, thankfully not really injured, bike is fine, and it was on my last day of the trip.

There's audio in this and I'm in pain and I left that in so if you're going to be uncomfortable with it be warned!

https://imgur.com/a/FfZ75cr

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Nocheez posted:

It looks like it's just cleanup, is it possible they have already moved on?

yeah but think about how you'd feel bulldozing the belongings of people who got evicted from their homes then evicted again from the woods and weren't even allowed to take their stuff

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

e.pilot posted:

My town built a mile long MUP expressly for the purpose of cleaning out homeless camps and enabling the town cops to easily patrol along the river.

Same up here. Pretty sure one of the main drivers of building an in town single track was to displace homeless.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Spime Wrangler posted:

yeah but think about how you'd feel bulldozing the belongings of people who got evicted from their homes then evicted again from the woods and weren't even allowed to take their stuff

I'm also fairly certain the people are there or at least around

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

VelociBacon posted:

Had a little bit of a crash at whistler, thankfully not really injured, bike is fine, and it was on my last day of the trip.

There's audio in this and I'm in pain and I left that in so if you're going to be uncomfortable with it be warned!

https://imgur.com/a/FfZ75cr

Ouch. That rock does not look comforting.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I put a new tire on my new bike because i already destroyed the rear on rocks (front tire got moved to back, and I'm going up like 1-2psi).

First impression- yeah that's got a lot more grip. Bike tracks more where I want now, as before I've felt like it's a little slow to turn (but probably only compared to my other bikes). I notice the extra mass when it's going faster, but on the front of the bike it seems to roll just fine. It's also a little much compared to the rear tire (a rekon) and the balance is maybe not ideal, but seemed ok.

I would have preferred to try a dissector as those are a little lighter and faster rolling than the dhf but they're out of stock everywhere. Nobby nic was another thought but mixing tire brands would have bugged me a bit and I didn't want to buy a racing ralph or something to go with it. That was a great combo on my hardtail and I like the vittoria mezcal/barzo setup I have on it now but wish the front had just a touch more grip. I feel like there need to be more tires that are thin and fast and light like xc tires but have the knobs of a trail tire for use on the front. And yes I realize that bigger knobs add weight. Shave like 2mm off all the knobs on the dhf?

jamal fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Sep 4, 2020

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

I know one good way to wear down the tread on those tires

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Steve French posted:

I know one good way to wear down the tread on those tires

If the answer isn't sweet skids I don't want to hear it.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

e.pilot posted:

Riding downhill fast?

h3r0n
Dec 22, 2005

e.pilot posted:

Burn outs.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Riding in Michigan is still fun. Definitely much different than Colorado.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

^ Very bummed I couldn't meet up and be a nerd and say things like "nice bike" :smuggo:

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Suburban Dad posted:

^ Very bummed I couldn't meet up and be a nerd and say things like "nice bike" :smuggo:

Yeah man. Next time for sure.

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003
I rode Frederick Watershed yesterday morning for the first time in two years. Still on my hardtail but between wider wheelset and tires, better brakes, a wider cassette, rebuilt fork, and two years or experience, it went way better than last time. I was following a friend since I don't know the trail system. We ended up hiking up part of (I think) Catoctin Trail from the bottom of Three Saws because there was just no loving way, then we tried to ride up the Powerline Trail but it was so badly overgrown that we got separated and I ended up walking through someone's back yard to get out, rode the road back to the Hamburg Road lot, then 3 more miles of chunk.

Had lunch, then finished the day off with 10 miles of flow trails at one of the parks in Montgomery County.

Was having too much fun to take any pictures. Still plenty of stuff I had to walk over, I'm a little beat to hell today, a full sus is still several years' budget away, but I am so stoked about how much better I did than last time that I can't wait to get back up there.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
loving 10 inches on the 8th of September come the gently caress on

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

thatguy posted:

:quagmire:

Mexican Radio
Jan 5, 2007

mombo with your jombo?

thatguy posted:

"but the trail will be hero next weekend" I repeat as a mantra while I harvest my entire garden

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
God! A red nugget! A fat egg under a dog!

afflictionwisp posted:

I rode Frederick Watershed yesterday morning for the first time in two years. Still on my hardtail but between wider wheelset and tires, better brakes, a wider cassette, rebuilt fork, and two years or experience, it went way better than last time. I was following a friend since I don't know the trail system. We ended up hiking up part of (I think) Catoctin Trail from the bottom of Three Saws because there was just no loving way, then we tried to ride up the Powerline Trail but it was so badly overgrown that we got separated and I ended up walking through someone's back yard to get out, rode the road back to the Hamburg Road lot, then 3 more miles of chunk.

Had lunch, then finished the day off with 10 miles of flow trails at one of the parks in Montgomery County.

Was having too much fun to take any pictures. Still plenty of stuff I had to walk over, I'm a little beat to hell today, a full sus is still several years' budget away, but I am so stoked about how much better I did than last time that I can't wait to get back up there.

Nice! If Three Saws is the end of your day you can ride Hamburg Rd up to where VW exits and get on Knucklebuster the rest of the way up the hill. It’s a good climbing trail. Alternately, turn around and climb back up Three Saws to the blue trail, then VW down to Knucklebuster and back up to the parking lot.

gently caress, I need to get out there more often.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

Mexican Radio posted:

"but the trail will be hero next weekend" I repeat as a mantra while I harvest my entire garden

literally my day today

I do think the door shuts on alpine season tomorrow, though. :smith:

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
I'm sick of the smoke/moondust. Let it dump

h3r0n
Dec 22, 2005

thatguy posted:

Nice.

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003

VacaGrande posted:

Nice! If Three Saws is the end of your day you can ride Hamburg Rd up to where VW exits and get on Knucklebuster the rest of the way up the hill. It’s a good climbing trail. Alternately, turn around and climb back up Three Saws to the blue trail, then VW down to Knucklebuster and back up to the parking lot.

gently caress, I need to get out there more often.

I think I ended the ride going down Knucklebuster then up VW. I wish there were maps posted at the trail forks, it's hard to know.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

afflictionwisp posted:

I think I ended the ride going down Knucklebuster then up VW. I wish there were maps posted at the trail forks, it's hard to know.

If you have a phone with you, the MTBProject or Trailforks apps can help you out.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003

vikingstrike posted:

If you have a phone with you, the MTBProject or Trailforks apps can help you out.

In this case Trailforks - none of the Frederick Watershed trails are on MTBProject.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
TNGA report

Close to 60 hours moving, 40k elevation, and about 9 hours of sleep.

I was stupidly optimistic about the route conditions given previous rider reports despite the lack of maintenance this year and the hurricane remnants going through the area the previous week. That made the jeep roads washed out and the singletrack a tree ridden mess. I was hiking about 1/4th of the first two days which killed my speed and increased my food and water needs.

Food was tight because I was trying to carry everything and not go for a resupply but I ended up needing to stop once into a rural town. Water was fine, Sawyer Flow did a great job and there was a ton of mountain streams and rivers to filter from (all crystal clear too). I had 96oz of bottles in gatorade bottles and an addition 24 oz in a mtn dew bottle I used for the filtering and in some stretches I would drink all 96 oz and drink more straight from the filter on the soda bottle.

Weather was a mix of brutal 99 degree heat and 90% humidity and perfect riding conditions. Nights never got chilly either to the point of never even needing a jacket. I got the slightest hint of rain for about 15 minutes but otherwise skies were clear. No animals, but I did see plenty of bear droppings.

At about 48 hours I stopped being able to swallow solid food which ended up being from acid reflux. I didn't feel any other symptoms but the constant exertion had worked acid up my throat and burned it raw, so when I took a bite of a bar with cinnamon in it it lit me up and I couldn't choke anything down. Tums helped a little but I had to rely on liquid calories for a while (also from my resupply).

Flats and trail runners continue to be the pro choice for bikepacking these routes. They dry out way faster and the comfort is a huge help on and off the bike. There were so many stream crossings I would have lost hours with clipless and the hiking would have murdered my calves in them as well.

Bike was a champ, 2.6 rigid was fine even though some of the singletrack got a little gnarly for me, but it was good to be forced to go slower and take safe lines instead of being risky while out there alone. Dynamo hub and AXA 70 light combo was ace, recharging my battery pack during the day and providing tons of light at night, even when slowly hiking the bike up a steep 20% grade.

I would definitely do the route again but likely not solo, hopefully the official race happens next year and it's safe to be out there, and I hope the route conditions improve before going through that again. I rode through so many spiderwebs I stopped bothering to wipe them off my face unless I saw a spider in them.

These are just some phone pics, I'll have a lot better from my film camera when I get the roll developed.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

VacaGrande posted:

In this case Trailforks - none of the Frederick Watershed trails are on MTBProject.

I really prefer MTB Project and their app. So add more trails to it!

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003

spwrozek posted:

I really prefer MTB Project and their app. So add more trails to it!

Agree that it’s a way better app. I think they verify everything posted there to make sure it’s sanctioned with the land management. The trails up there aren’t illegal (mostly 😬) but they’re also not 100% official. I’ve always assumed that’s why otherwise-popular trails aren’t on MTBProject.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

VacaGrande posted:

Agree that it’s a way better app. I think they verify everything posted there to make sure it’s sanctioned with the land management. The trails up there aren’t illegal (mostly 😬) but they’re also not 100% official. I’ve always assumed that’s why otherwise-popular trails aren’t on MTBProject.

Ah yeah. I get that they don't want to run up against the law or anything. They do review it all by hand though which takes time for sure.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

spwrozek posted:

Ah yeah. I get that they don't want to run up against the law or anything. They do review it all by hand though which takes time for sure.

Really? They have stuff on the site in the Jamestown area that suggests otherwise

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

vikingstrike posted:

Really? They have stuff on the site in the Jamestown area that suggests otherwise

Not saying stuff doesn't slide through or that they did the same thing in the past. When you submit trails now though there is a disclaimer about legal trails only. You have to submit maps or links to show it is a legit trail.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

spwrozek posted:

Not saying stuff doesn't slide through or that they did the same thing in the past. When you submit trails now though there is a disclaimer about legal trails only. You have to submit maps or links to show it is a legit trail.

These trails are legal but recommending them to people is terrible advice and I don’t believe anybody who approved them has actually ridden it. But I guess a legal/illegal check wouldn’t flag this

It does make me happy they check and care enough to not piss people off

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Bottom Liner posted:

TNGA report

Close to 60 hours moving, 40k elevation, and about 9 hours of sleep.

fuuuuck

that's a really really long time to be on the bike, an insane amount of elevation, and those temps sound like they were awful at times. did you try to sleep during the heat or at night? how long were you out for in total?

interesting choice with the shoes, too. I feel like the pedaling efficiency would outweigh the other issues you'd have with wet feet, but it sounds like it worked out so you made the right call! i just wore my rigid-rear end bike shoes through all the crossings earlier this summer because everything was super wet already, but 30-40+ more hours is another game entirely.

good work and recover well!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Spime Wrangler posted:

fuuuuck

that's a really really long time to be on the bike, an insane amount of elevation, and those temps sound like they were awful at times. did you try to sleep during the heat or at night? how long were you out for in total?

interesting choice with the shoes, too. I feel like the pedaling efficiency would outweigh the other issues you'd have with wet feet, but it sounds like it worked out so you made the right call! i just wore my rigid-rear end bike shoes through all the crossings earlier this summer because everything was super wet already, but 30-40+ more hours is another game entirely.

good work and recover well!

I slept like 2-am to 5am generally, riding a lot at night until I was tired enough to actually sleep. I've been using flats and trail runners for bikepacking for two years now and love it. For routes like this, the amount of hike-a-bike is hell in clipless shoes and as mentioned, those don't dry out well. The added benefit of freedom of movement over multiple days helps ankle and knee soreness too, whereas I used to adjust bolts each day to fight off those issues.

Mostly just have a sore neck right now, legs feel great because I spent a lot of time doing kettlebell and squatting this year for these events, which made a big difference compared to previous years.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Does't almost every single scientific study say clipping in either does nothing or reduces pedal efficiency?

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUEaN9FKGLE

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

bamhand posted:

Does't almost every single scientific study say clipping in either does nothing or reduces pedal efficiency?

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUEaN9FKGLE

I know personally I just have better technique pedaling fast with clipless but for mtb it's never made much a difference. Definitely caused some spills when I stall out on a rock or steep punch though.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Whahappen posted:

I'll be back up to Copper Harbor for the big boy clinic which is fast approaching, and so looking forward to it.

Dropping a message here cus you don't have PMs - I'll be the photographer riding a silver trek, see you Friday!

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Bottom Liner posted:

I know personally I just have better technique pedaling fast with clipless but for mtb it's never made much a difference. Definitely caused some spills when I stall out on a rock or steep punch though.

I ride with my pedals super loose with lots of float, and I think it still provides some mental efficiency even if it doesn't show up in VO2 numbers. And like you point out, super high cadences are a regime where clipless shine. Also it's just how I've rolled for 20 years so why bother changing!

I'd say one real benefit of flats for technical riding is that you really can't cheat, and you need six fewer feet of setup before a feature when starting from a stop. We make all clinic participants ride flats for those reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

h3r0n
Dec 22, 2005

Got my bike back yesterday new rear hub and all tuned up. Now if only the 4 inches of rain we got earlier this week would drain.....