Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Perception = reality. I'm still figuring it out myself but as long as the party is going "oh poo poo" and overcoming the challenge in 1-2 hours, you're passable.

When in doubt, lower CR enemies + environment gimmicks will do enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Lol.

The mere expectation that I might consider switching characters after several weeks of playing the character for a change of pace made one person go, "If you do not we're just going to ignore what your character says and does because you shouldn't be switching characters."

Because apparently the idea that in the process of creating backup characters I might actually get really into some of them and might be looking for opportunities to give them a spin for a week or two during the campaign is just so unreasonable and such a burden to their ability to roleplay.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Azza Bamboo posted:

I just think people are assuming the worst, like I want a level 7 party to fight a kraken with no unconsciousness or whatever.

My approach to "balance", seeing as I'm now shooting at a third or fourth set of goalposts here, is to try something on the safer side and then ratchet it up. I don't try to have all the answers or boil things down to an equation because gently caress that, just having a dial labelled danger and seeing at what point on that dial people have fun is much better.

Just keep in mind - at any time, you could stop rolling less than 15, or your players could stop rolling more than 5. What happens then?

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Easy: No PC goes down. Few if any resources used.
Average: No PC goes down but they use resources.
Challenging: At least one PC goes down but doesn’t die.
Deadly: At least one PC dies.
Too Deadly: TPK

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

nelson posted:

Easy: No PC goes down. Few if any resources used.
Average: No PC goes down but they use resources.
Challenging: At least one PC goes down but doesn’t die.
Deadly: At least one PC dies.
Too Deadly: TPK

Add to this that it isn't very fun to be in an encounter where there's literally only one move you can do and any and every other move immediately results in instant death because you have low health, bad saves and in a room full of angry beholders.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I think it's more fun stumbling into a challenging encounter anyways, it forces everyone to think laterally if there are a ton of enemies on the board that you need to fight/run from/tackle strategically. Ideally it looks overwhelming at first but then once the tables start to turn everyone's pumping their fists

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

I present to you, the "The door of analysis paralysis".

https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/H4X66BDS8?fbclid=IwAR2-z17SWjkXS_C3cGmbKSmOWay2rcexhTqgVcknVGYeXiF-hMOFMSGZDzo

Feedback needed.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

I have showed it to my DM because I know they 100% would spring it on us.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Is the lesson the PCs are actually going to take from this "not everything will kill you" or "this is a joke trap that serves as a heads-up to check extra carefully for real traps on other doors"?

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

The description actually mentions this. But the idea is basically that not everything will kill you. At least not without some kind of warning.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Midig posted:

The description actually mentions this. But the idea is basically that not everything will kill you. At least not without some kind of warning.

Yes, that's why I quoted it. My feedback is that I'm not sure PCs will get the message you intend with this. At least, this is what I'd expect the reaction to be from my group to an obviously magical weird door enchanted with illusions that's immune to detect magic: "this door is the warning, the next door might not be so harmless. We should be even more cautious from now on".

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.

pog boyfriend posted:

Extremely helpful advice.

MY HERO! This is all great and I appreciate the effort. Great advice on encounter building and I'm already in love with Giffyglyph's Monster Maker. I really appreciate it.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Oh, ok. I kind of did the opposite once. I ran a DnD game with a bunch of newbs and expectedly enough they acted like murder hobos and other shenanigans I kinda disapprove of. One of them ran into the first room in the dungeon and there was a chest (mimic) in there. My train of thought was that if one of them left the party to loot it without the rest, they would be screwed and it would dissuade them from splitting up and hoarding loot for themselves for the rest of the session. But instead, they figured out "There is no way he has more mimics around".

Midig fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Sep 4, 2020

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

Reveilled posted:

Yes, that's why I quoted it. My feedback is that I'm not sure PCs will get the message you intend with this. At least, this is what I'd expect the reaction to be from my group to an obviously magical weird door enchanted with illusions that's immune to detect magic: "this door is the warning, the next door might not be so harmless. We should be even more cautious from now on".

Midig posted:

If I were a player and my DM used this, my takeaway would be "Whatever wizard built this place has a lot of illusionary traps, and will try to obfuscate the actual purpose of things. I should poke every wall, to see if that wall is an illusion, and ignore actual threats because they are obviously fake. I cannot use magic to detect these tricks, because this wizard found some way to block divination magic." In other words, its the exact opposite lesson you want to impart.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Midig posted:

Oh, ok. I kind of did the opposite once. I ran a DnD game with a bunch of newbs and expectedly enough they acted like murder hobos and other shenanigans I kinda disapprove of. One of them ran into the first room in the dungeon and there was a chest (mimic) in there. My train of thought was that if one of them left the party to loot it without the rest, they would be screwed and it would dissuade them from splitting up and hoarding loot for themselves for the rest of the session. But instead, they figured out "There is no way he has more mimics around".

Sounds like they need to discover the lesson of "there are always more things and they are all mimics"

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I have an entire Very Normal Room filled with Very Normal Stuff. It’s where the dead wizard stored his mimics, but it’s very clearly labeled as such (in one of the wizard’s many thick books).

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Tenik posted:

If I were a player and my DM used this, my takeaway would be "Whatever wizard built this place has a lot of illusionary traps, and will try to obfuscate the actual purpose of things. I should poke every wall, to see if that wall is an illusion, and ignore actual threats because they are obviously fake. I cannot use magic to detect these tricks, because this wizard found some way to block divination magic." In other words, its the exact opposite lesson you want to impart.

I wanna say that I appreciate the intent behind this door, even if it might not work out that way. Some players I know the type will spend WAY too long analyzing things and maybe finding a way to get players to think more critically about environmental clues would help cut down on unnecessary levels of caution.

I'd say that a DC 15 or 20? Arcana check should still reveal that the door is straight up harmless so its not wasting time for higher level adventurers. The goal of it I imagine is to try to condition your lower level, preferably a lower level newbie party into not overthinking every door or puzzle.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

A friend of mine tried to DM a one-shot for me and some others. He ripped off Zee Bradshaw's "Countdown to Nothing" and I accurately called it out in the first 10 seconds. I actually felt bad because I could see how deflated he was, but like... yeah after a certain level of game savvy that stuff won't work. DC 17-20 for knowing the Door does nothing seems reasonable.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

So, a question about DM style -- when a player proposes doing something that strongly suggests they've forgotten something extremely relevant to their upcoming action -- do you remind them? Or do you let them eat poo poo?

You always remind them and you say explicitly why, directly up front. That way if you ever forget and one of the other players reminds you, it looks less like you were planning a trap and should not be trusted, and more like you were a human and made a mistake.

Also, because they were trying to do a neat and dramatic thing, and they were not trying to eat poo poo in the middle of the desert along with the person they were shackled to, so why should you even pretend that's a possibility unless they enthusiastically agree to it?

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
95% of my parties, both as a DM and as a player, just go "I smash it open" for anything locked like a door, traps be damned. Same for closed things "I burst through the door". This despite several very deadly or difficulty-increasing traps that we have encountered over the years. After enough of these moments a few of our DMs have given up on door traps altogether, and at least one of my groups just break doors on principle as a way of showing both IC and OOC contempt for the idea. Same for chests and other closed things.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

TheDemon posted:

95% of my parties, both as a DM and as a player, just go "I smash it open" for anything locked like a door, traps be damned. Same for closed things "I burst through the door". This despite several very deadly or difficulty-increasing traps that we have encountered over the years. After enough of these moments a few of our DMs have given up on door traps altogether, and at least one of my groups just break doors on principle as a way of showing both IC and OOC contempt for the idea. Same for chests and other closed things.

My DM I think made the correct call that doing this will destroy the items inside it. If you want magic items you need to actually interact with the magic lock. If you dispel magic on it, poof goes the reward.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Lockpicking better be fun as hell if you're asking your players to do more than a skill check for it. And to be honest it seems a bit lame if the only way to access a chest reward is through Thieves' Tools. An Athletics or Arcana check seems like it would often be just as valid, and frankly I'd feel robbed if I used a level 3 spell and it arbitrarily erased the contents of a chest.

Traps and ambushes in general are typically a lot more fun for the DM than the players. Either you telegraph to your players "this is a set up" and they get super wary, or you surprise them and they rightfully feel blindsided. There's just not a lot of mechanics to engage with, so they typically come down to players having to interpret little hints or getting damaged. I shy away from using them apart from Indiana Jones-style setpieces.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Sep 4, 2020

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

if you put hella traps in a dungeon to soup your players you are actually the one getting souped where they will waste hours of time searching for traps in arbitrary locations for years to come

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
also lmao a Magic Item survives disintegration, destroying a magic item because someone decided to use their str to open a chest is laughable.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Raenir Salazar posted:

My DM I think made the correct call that doing this will destroy the items inside it. If you want magic items you need to actually interact with the magic lock. If you dispel magic on it, poof goes the reward.

Your DM is the person we break the door down to send a message to. Destroying the loot would only make sending a message more important.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.
I’ve always found puzzles in D&D to be almost always contrived. I’ve also found traps to be unfair to players the majority of the time.

So what I do now is combine the two: “there is a dead body, there is its location with respect to the space, and there is its perceived condition”. It’s now up to the players to figure out what the trap is and how to navigate it.

The players like the puzzle-
solving aspect, it doesn’t feel contrived, and nobody feels they were unfairly ambushed on the DM’s whim.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Dexo posted:

also lmao a Magic Item survives disintegration, destroying a magic item because someone decided to use their str to open a chest is laughable.

Yeah, this. Last time my players were chasing someone with a macguffin and I told them straight up magic items are usually indestructible; it would straight up suck to fireball someone for a plot item and find out you've accidentally destroyed it.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

TheDemon posted:

I do this as a favor to the DM, because every time the whole party is like "Hold on, let's throw a chicken and a bunch of flour at the door and spend ten minutes listening at the door and send a familiar through the door and stick a knife under the door for reflections, and the whole time the DM is visibly rolling his eyes, I know we both die a bit inside.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Dexo posted:

I corrected myself a bit towards the end of the post, iirc it was Dispel Magic that caused the items to lose their magickness. Though I feel like I recall the DM saying destroying the chest would risk destroying the goodies or something to that effect but I don't think it's ever come up and I am only half remembering and aside that one time with Dispel Magic I don't think its come up since.

TheDemon posted:

Your DM is the person we break the door down to send a message to. Destroying the loot would only make sending a message more important.

Wouldn't you just go through the campaign without magic items? What message does this send back? That you don't care about the puzzles or content the DM is providing?

theironjef posted:

I do this as a favor to the DM, because every time the whole party is like "Hold on, let's throw a chicken and a bunch of flour at the door and spend ten minutes listening at the door and send a familiar through the door and stick a knife under the door for reflections, and the whole time the DM is visibly rolling his eyes, I know we both die a bit inside.

This makes sense of course, as a balancing act between caution when its warranted and acting decisively when its warranted.

change my name posted:

Yeah, this. Last time my players were chasing someone with a macguffin and I told them straight up magic items are usually indestructible; it would straight up suck to fireball someone for a plot item and find out you've accidentally destroyed it.

With one exception, I don't think my DM would do this, it's more that the party can choose to interact with the content or not, the reward is for interacting with the content. You'd never lose out on a magic item from a combat encounter from using AoE spells. The point is to discourage brute forcing every interaction.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Sep 4, 2020

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Raenir Salazar posted:

Wouldn't you just go through the campaign without magic items? What message does this send back? That you don't care about the puzzles or content the DM is providing?

Pretty much. By my reading of TheDemon's group, the message is "we are willing to make life harder on ourselves if it means not having to dance to your stupid tune."

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Pretty much. By my reading of TheDemon's group, the message is "we are willing to make life harder on ourselves if it means not having to dance to your stupid tune."

I feel like at that point just get a different DM unless both sides of the screen are okay with the campaign being basically a cat and mouse game between the DM and the players?

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Shitshow posted:

So what I do now is combine the two: “there is a dead body, there is its location with respect to the space, and there is its perceived condition”. It’s now up to the players to figure out what the trap is and how to navigate it.

This is the best way to trap. Players can figure it out, or just roll for trap finding if they're lazy, and you can get some really fun and creative ways to solve the trap that feels rewarding for the players and gm alike.

I made some magic instant-adhering glue surface trap for them, and after a player lost a shoe they spent the next few hours spreading goblin corpses over the sticky surface to make a footpath and reach the treasure.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Similarly, how does one lay traps when one of the party members took the observant feat and has a passive perception of 22?

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

change my name posted:

Similarly, how does one lay traps when one of the party members took the observant feat and has a passive perception of 22?

Assume they'll find it,make the challenge disarming/avoiding it.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

change my name posted:

Lay traps just like you would any other time and reward the Observant party member for their investment in passive perception, imo. Like if he just spots all your traps, that's fine, he earned it.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Also it's a blast to have monsters show up and having ongoing traps killing the monsters and wounding players at the same time.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Also it's a blast to have monsters show up and having ongoing traps killing the monsters and wounding players at the same time.

Honestly one thing I'd love to see in my next campaign is the ability to dismantle and reset traps.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
After hearing “search for traps” every time the party moved in 2e, I think it’s fine to skip the search for traps phase. Just directly tell them there is a trap when they are about to walk into a trap or interact with a trapped object: “You see something odd about the chest/door/floor. It looks like it might be trapped.” And then let the party decide whether to try and disarm it or find another work-around.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Splicer posted:

Dropping to 0 is pretty much in the hands of the GM in 5e. Monsters decide to ignore the gentleman's agreement of wasting arrows on the walking tank and focus fire someone else? Welcome to 0 town.

It’s true. At least provide options like cover for the back line PCs if you want the enemies to use tactics. Then if the wizard decides to cast magic missile on his turn instead of dashing behind the big boulder, that’s on him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Glazius posted:

Just keep in mind - at any time, you could stop rolling less than 15, or your players could stop rolling more than 5. What happens then?

If the bad luck storm hits at exactly the moment I'm running the tight encounter?

I look them in the eye and make a snap decision then and there. Do they look like they'll enjoy having the threat realised? This table, mainly comprised of wargamers looking for a challenge, I think they're up for "hail Satan" in that set of circumstances. Some of them keep telling me about new characters they're thinking about playing and some have even gone so far as to say they wouldn't mind dying because they have something lined up. My last table, who were really into the story and going for a 80s cartoon hero vibe? I wouldn't be doing this for them. So yeah, for these guys, hail Satan. If the table was people talking like you do, I'd not be asking how I can solve whack a mole. I'd be asking about any issues you brought up.

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Sep 4, 2020