Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

If anyone is interested, a Goon is a doing a thing to drum up a little money to make some YouTube videos on the history of muskets in the United States. This isn't my project but I did kick him a few bucks because I'd like to see what he comes up with.

Full disclosure, McNally is a friend of mine but doesn't want to self promote anything on SA since he mods GiP.

If anyone is interested, feel free to check out the link below. There are no backer rewards or anything but the dude is trying to scrounge together very little money to share his nerdy passion for an area of history he both went to school to study and currently works to preserve battlefields of.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/musketmissive/mcnallys-musket-missive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I love that huginn+muninn shield, I may rip that off for my warlord I'm painting :)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Just ran out of my trusty Tamiya surface primer... Are there any primers I can get at the Home Depot that anyone can vouch for? I wanna paint this weekend and not wait for more primer to come :(

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Loving this shield.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Does anybody have any resources for WW2 era 15mm building templates? I bought some foamcore to make some but figured I might as well ask before freehanding it.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Sep 14, 2020

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
1/5 done with my Viking warband. I'm happier with the grass now, I think I was just overdoing it before.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

lilljonas posted:

I seem to settle on a lot of animal themes, so I might continue that by giving the units different animal banners.

If you want some ACTUAL LORE on animal images, my buddy Luciano does amazing work interpreting viking patternwork finds and making new art with it - check out Children of ash on instagram.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
GRASS:IMPROVED

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Tias posted:

If you want some ACTUAL LORE on animal images, my buddy Luciano does amazing work interpreting viking patternwork finds and making new art with it - check out Children of ash on instagram.

Nice link! Lots of his pics are prime material for a centrepiece on a banner. Thanks :)

And Number 1, those grass bases are getting better and better. If you want more variation on the greenery, the next step might be to get some tufts, which will give a wilder look compared to the "grass lawn" look you can get if you fill large surfaces with static grass.

Wowshawk
Dec 22, 2007
bought with beer
Grimey Drawer

Dogatron posted:

Fish net stockings?

It's the only type I have access to.

A very thin sock may be better

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Has anyone dug into 2FL's newest, "Infamy, Infamy!"? I'm watching videos about it on their Youtube page, and the way that terrain is procedurally generated is really neat.

Between that and SAGA's Age of Hannibal just coming out, I'm really itching to dig into that era, but I have so many Vikings and Frenchmen on my painting table :negative:

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

I just ordered a copy of Infamy, Infamy; it hasn't arrived yet, but I'll give you a rundown when it shows up.

It is my understanding that it covers late Republican/early Imperial Romans vs. Gauls. Caesar, the invasion of Britain, etc. Hannibal was about 200 years before this and the Roman Army was organized and fought differently then - if you're picky, the Roman soldiers look different.

Punic Wars Roman fighting against Hannibal:

Early Imperial Roman:

That said, the first supplement is going to cover the wars with Hannibal.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Fair point. My Roman history is a bit rusty, so I see "Roman soldiers" and have a bad habit of mixing them all up into one lot :)

Wowshawk
Dec 22, 2007
bought with beer
Grimey Drawer
I got the ruleset a week ago or so alomg with sharp practice, but I haven't had a decent readthrough because I'm still unsure about the scale I want to play it.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

Fair point. My Roman history is a bit rusty, so I see "Roman soldiers" and have a bad habit of mixing them all up into one lot :)

Okay, so...

In the Punic Wars - the wars with Hannibal - the Roman Army was made up of citizen soldiers who owned property, like small family farms. They were expected to supply their own arms and armor. When the army fought they lined up in lines made up of different troops types who would fight in different ways in succession. From first to contact the enemy to last, they were:

Velites - light skirmishers.
Hastati - young guys with less armor, but still heavy infantry.
Principes - more experienced guys with better armor.
Triarii - Most experienced soldiers, veterans.

Each line would fight, then fall back behind the other lines to regroup.

The army that Caesar used to fight the Gauls was different. They were much more homogeneous. By this time they didn't have to own property or supply their arms and armor, so they tended to all have roughly similar stuff. The army still fought in successive lines, but, again, they were a lot more similar than they were in the Punic Wars.

This is all "big battle" stuff, and the whole successive lines thing won't matter much in a skirmish. But in a skirmish level game the Romans will be very different in the different eras.

In the Punic Wars, fighting Hannibal, a Roman army might be something like "Velites light skirmishers engage at the start of the battle" or "Heavy Triarii making the last stand to protect the rest of the army." An army from Caesar's era would be different.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Keep in mind that while the battle line troops were largely homogeneous legionaries by the Late Republic, the army employed auxiliary troops who acted as archers, skirmishers, light cavalrymen, etc.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

MeinPanzer posted:

Keep in mind that while the battle line troops were largely homogeneous legionaries by the Late Republic, the army employed auxiliary troops who acted as archers, skirmishers, light cavalrymen, etc.

True! This is also true of the Punic Wars. I was confining myself to just talking about just Roman line troops so as to keep my post relatively brief.

If anything, a skirmish game creates an oddly artificial situation if you allow troops of different types to fight on the same side together. You probably wouldn't see a battle with, say, 10 Velites, 10 Hastati, 10 Princeps, some cavalry, and a few Allies together except under VERY odd circumstances. More probably you'd see a group of Velites together, period.

That said, it's a game, have fun, use what you want.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Yeah I think I've be more keen on 15mm or 6mm Ancients for that very reason, maybe something like DBA or Hail Caesar? Having those huge long lines of troops is really emblematic of ancient warfare.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
PSC are re-doing the old Corvus Belli miniatures in plastic, and I *really* like their Early Imperial Romans. Very characterful little dudes.

Wowshawk
Dec 22, 2007
bought with beer
Grimey Drawer
Apparently those castings are crap. There aren't even that many pictures to find online

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Eh, here's an unboxing. Nothing that wows me but I guess if you want cheap & plastic but not in 20mm it's an option.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoEPTy1CVS4

How annoying would it be to play Infamy with multibased models?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That's the Gauls. The Romans have separate shields and it makes a huge difference. The "ultracast" material isn't as nice as metal, and sadly it seems to be priced around the same too, but it's 15mm so they're kind of always going to look weird.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I got my copy of the Victory at Sea starter set, the new 1:1800 WWII naval combat game by Warlord Games. The rules seem simple, but still detailed enough to feel at least somewhat accurate, but the miniatures... I am so god drat done with resin!

Three Japanese and American cruisers, and a bunch of smaller destroyers. All the larger ships were curved like god drat bananas, and because they're mounted on thick resin bases, they're a bitch and a half to fix.

I spent two hours heating them up and straightening them out, only to have them slowly start curving again. Didn't matter if I cooled them down slowly or quickly, they retained their shape for a while and then started curving up again. In the end I dunked them in 75 degree celsius water for 10 minutes and then taped them to pieces of iron I had left over from a shelving project. I'm still afraid that they'll start doing the banana when I remove the tape.

E:

Zuul the Cat posted:

Crossposting my Somua

Extremely cool! Did you freehand the borders between the different camo colours or come up with some other system? I want to do a bordered camo on my tanks at some point, but so far I've been using my airbrush and blu-tac to do masking, and that method isn't really suitable for doing borders like that.

Here's some of my 1:56 stuff.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Sep 6, 2020

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Der Shovel posted:

I got my copy of the Victory at Sea starter set, the new 1:1800 WWII naval combat game by Warlord Games. The rules seem simple, but still detailed enough to feel at least somewhat accurate, but the miniatures... I am so god drat done with resin!

Three Japanese and American cruisers, and a bunch of smaller destroyers. All the larger ships were curved like god drat bananas, and because they're mounted on thick resin bases, they're a bitch and a half to fix.

I spent two hours heating them up and straightening them out, only to have them slowly start curving again. Didn't matter if I cooled them down slowly or quickly, they retained their shape for a while and then started curving up again. In the end I dunked them in 75 degree celsius water for 10 minutes and then taped them to pieces of iron I had left over from a shelving project. I'm still afraid that they'll start doing the banana when I remove the tape.

There's a a couple of alternatives

They're newly released, in 1:1850, and cut by 4Ground for the game Admiral by Luxlu

The other is the very nice stickers on MDF by Topside Minis, but the Rona killed their paper supplier and they haven't found a suitable replacement yet

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I realize the Soviet Navy did almost nothing at all in the war, but any chance they'd release rules/models for them anyway? It's a wargame, after all, it's all about What Ifs.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Anarcho-Commissar posted:

I realize the Soviet Navy did almost nothing at all in the war, but any chance they'd release rules/models for them anyway? It's a wargame, after all, it's all about What Ifs.

I'm sure they will if the game is the least bit profitable.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Does De Bellus Antiquitatum still have a following? Seems like it's been around forever, and it may be large superceded by stuff like Saga and Infamy Infamy at this point.

Might be a good use for 6mm ancients, but it requires special basing sizes, so might not be worth it.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

NTRabbit posted:

Shapeways is loaded with 1/1800 ships:
https://www.shapeways.com/marketplace/miniatures/ships?tag=1%3A1800

I'd recommend Tiny Thingamajigs, I have some of their 1/4800s and the detail is super nice. In fact, I recommend considering 1/4800 before you go whole hog on 1/1800. The smaller size let's you fit more of the fight on the table, and they're cheaper so you can build bigger fleets. A 1/1800 aircraft carrier is about $16. And so are the IJN units at Savo Island:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/QGKMTCEWL/48jn04-savo-island-ijn-cruisers

Does De Bellus Antiquitatum still have a following? Seems like it's been around forever, and it may be large superceded by stuff like Saga and Infamy Infamy at this point.

Might be a good use for 6mm ancients, but it requires special basing sizes, so might not be worth it.

If there's a better game than DBA in the 2'x2' table, fewer than 50 figures per army, about an hour to play category I'm all ears.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

NTRabbit posted:

They're newly released, in 1:1850, and cut by 4Ground for the game Admiral by Luxlu

The other is the very nice stickers on MDF by Topside Minis, but the Rona killed their paper supplier and they haven't found a suitable replacement yet

Huh, I never would have thought you'd be able to make nice looking MDF ships that small, but they look pretty dang good.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

mllaneza posted:

f there's a better game than DBA in the 2'x2' table, fewer than 50 figures per army, about an hour to play category I'm all ears.

Fair point! It's really intriguing. And if a) Baccus opens up again or b) I can find a good US source of 15mm ancients, I'm very intrigued by it.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Fair point! It's really intriguing. And if a) Baccus opens up again or b) I can find a good US source of 15mm ancients, I'm very intrigued by it.

I haven't played in years, but it's a real treat for quick play and does a surprisingly good job of capturing the ebb and flow of battle, and giving the player real command decisions to make. It's very abstract, but at this scale that works.

You could have rules for sending orders out to your subordinates, with a time lag and chance for them being lost or misunderstood. Some games do this. DBA has you roll a d6 and that's how many formations (of stands in base-to-base contact) you can move this turn. Combat is simple, each side makes an opposed roll of a d6 plus a bonus based on what you have and what you're fighting. Results vary based on the units involved, but basically the losing side gets pushed back - which might break up a formation - or eliminated if the winner gets double their result.

Armies play like they do historically, so infantry heavy armies tend to get into pushing matches in the middle of the map while skirmishers and cavalry play around the flanks. Armies with a lot of light horse will skirmish all over the place and try and create an advantage to exploit. Armies with knights just get stuck right in and you get decisive results very quickly. Battles with my 100YW French and English last about 45 minutes, but a Roman army against most of their opponents will go an hour or a little more.

Knowing how long some people take over setup and each turn, you could probably bring a couple of armies and get a couple of DBA games in on a side table while the main match is being fought over.

Tin Soldier has pre-made army packs, they go about GBP20-25.

https://tinsoldieruk.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=304_305&zenid=afrkdlgjrqrmlsnsj34p6dv694

JcDent
May 13, 2013

What's the difference between DBA and DBM again?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

JcDent posted:

What's the difference between DBA and DBM again?
Size and age. De Bellis Antiquitatis was the first game in the series. De Bellis Multitudinis came after and was designed for bigger armies, larger battles, and less abstraction.

DBM was replaced by De Bellis Magistrorum Militum (DBMM) which was basically a rewrite of the rules sans the constraints that DBA dna left on DBM when it was created.

Hekk fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Sep 6, 2020

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Springfield Fatts posted:

How annoying would it be to play Infamy with multibased models?

It doesn't matter at all, you just need something to keep track of wounds

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Hekk posted:

Size and age. De Bellis Antiquitatis was the first game in the series. De Bellis Multitudinis came after and was designed for bigger armies, larger battles, and less abstraction.

DBM was replaced by De Bellis Magistrorum Militum (DBMM) which was basically a rewrite of the rules sans the constraints that DBA dna left on DBM when it was created.

oooh, and how does DBMM play?

Also, does it also have a fan translation to make readable for non-lawyers?

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

It doesn't matter at all, you just need something to keep track of wounds

Thanks, next question: Can the Infamy deck or whatever be copied from the rulebook and printed out or do they force you to buy the deck of cards also?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Thanks, next question: Can the Infamy deck or whatever be copied from the rulebook and printed out or do they force you to buy the deck of cards also?

If it's anything like the Sharp Practice deck, you can just make up a bag of chips, or make your own cards, whatever.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

NTRabbit posted:

How well do these paint up? I would assume just fine, but I have never tried to paint MDF with acrylics. Or with anything else for that matter.

Wowshawk
Dec 22, 2007
bought with beer
Grimey Drawer

Like Number 1 Fulci Fan said, it's the same as sharp practice, sou you can use a regular deck of cards or generic tokens if you want

Edit for Der Shovel: make sure you seal the mdf with varnish or hairspray first, so the primer doesn't soak in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Wowshawk posted:

Edit for Der Shovel: make sure you seal the mdf with varnish or hairspray first, so the primer doesn't soak in.

Thanks for the tip. I just picked up some MDF sabot bases from Litko, and was going to prime them tomorrow!