Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Coffee?
This poll is closed.
Yay! 54 34.39%
Nay. 43 27.39%
O-kay? 24 15.29%
Whatever. 36 22.93%
Total: 157 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
spirited away is the best example of the alice in wonderland story archetype, sharing the category with other stellar examples like coraline, mirrormask, and the wizard of oz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Are Lucky Star or Roujin Z any good? Im hankering for something old to watch.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
https://twitter.com/OoCPokemon/status/1301705985887817729

:ohdear:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

nice charmander

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Furnaceface posted:

Lucky Star is pretty funny and has its moments, but at the end of the day, I'd say Nichijou and Nichibros are funnier.

Also, old? It came out in 2007. >_>

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

AlternateNu posted:

Lucky Star is pretty funny and has its moments, but at the end of the day, I'd say Nichijou and Nichibros are funnier.

Also, old? It came out in 2007. >_>

Ive only been watching anime since 2017, 10 years prior to that is ancient my dude.

Ive watched Nichijou and Nichibros already so it sounds like I will enjoy it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah 2007 is old now, bro. Gurren Lagann is retro. The future is now, old man.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
We are as far removed from Gurren Lagann now as we were removed from G Gundam when GL came out.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Julias posted:

We are as far removed from Gurren Lagann now as we were removed from G Gundam when GL came out.

Julias sounding like a wise old monk.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Pretty soon, the Bure vs Rumba wars will disappear from living memory.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Furnaceface posted:

Roujin Z is pretty great, a more lighthearted attempt at the same themes that Otomo used in Akira and some decent early 90's animation.

Plus it's like 60 minutes long so not exactly a huge time investment.

It's also the first anime Satoshi Kon worked on.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Sep 4, 2020

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the first four eps of lucky star range from okay to bad, everything after that has a different director and is much better. probably one of the best 2000s sol comedies in fact

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

sure yamakan sucks but i don't remember the lucky star director change being like some sudden super obvious thing you'd definitely notice without knowing beforehand. and the first episode is still kinda iconic

nichijou isn't the first thing i would compare it to though since it's not very slapstick like that but yeah it's one of the classic SoL series

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

But have y'all seen Char's counterattack

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Stairmaster posted:

Easy there gramps, wouldnt want you to break a hip.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
do you like your char and his two-stage billion-casualty colony drop counterattacks

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Tales of Woe posted:

sure yamakan sucks but i don't remember the lucky star director change being like some sudden super obvious thing you'd definitely notice without knowing beforehand. and the first episode is still kinda iconic

nichijou isn't the first thing i would compare it to though since it's not very slapstick like that but yeah it's one of the classic SoL series

the first episode is iconic and also one of the most boring episodes in the entire show

episode 3 and 4 are... okay but still not really as good as the later eps and episode 2 is kinda boring too

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Stairmaster posted:

Yes, it's extremely my poo poo.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

spirited away is gorgeous but pretty boring for long stretches

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Endorph posted:

spirited away is gorgeous but pretty boring for long stretches

Like your posts.

Im only joking. Mostly.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

thats way weirder than if you just said 'much like your posts' tbh

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I suck at conveying jokes and sarcasm through the medium of text so I edited it because I didnt want it to come across as earnest and mean.

I also worked 11 hours today with only a 15 minute break and its 1am so this post is probably just as weird.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Endorph posted:

pretty boring for long stretches

Much like your posts, WOOO!

I thought Spirited Away was alright but I've never been a huge fan of Ghibli's stuff. It's pretty and all but not really the sort of thing I've ever liked.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The Colonel posted:

the first episode is iconic and also one of the most boring episodes in the entire show

episode 3 and 4 are... okay but still not really as good as the later eps and episode 2 is kinda boring too

It was the live action bit at the end that really made the first episode iconic too

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Acerbatus posted:

Much like your posts, WOOO!

I thought Spirited Away was alright but I've never been a huge fan of Ghibli's stuff. It's pretty and all but not really the sort of thing I've ever liked.
Yeah Miyazaki is kinda... hes obviously an incredibly talented director and animator but its rare for the writing to carry their end of the bargain

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
porco rosso and castle of cagliostro are pretty fun

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Furnaceface posted:

Ive only been watching anime since 2017, 10 years prior to that is ancient my dude.

Ive watched Nichijou and Nichibros already so it sounds like I will enjoy it.

for next year you should do a toxx to watch 10 animes that came out before the new millennia.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

time to watch every brave series

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Stairmaster posted:

I've seen it twice and it's maybe the worst anime I've seen.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Nausicaa and Princess Mononoke are pretty rad. I feel like the writing in them has actual teeth bc it's basically warrior princesses staring down the audience saying "I will loving kill you if you do any more harm to this planet"

I watched Kiki's Delivery Service recently and while I absolutely adore it and think it is a precious charm of a movie, it's the first time i've watched a movie and thought "oh this is just several slice of life episodes strung together to be a feature-length film"

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

everythingWasBees posted:

I wonder how long Arf's rap sheet is

mine's longer

e: wait gently caress, no he surpassed me?!

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
arf is a very powerful poster

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Plutonis posted:

mine's longer

e: wait gently caress, no he surpassed me?!

You know what you must do

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I dont like the guy in kiki's or the fact that not being a witch anymore is framed as growing up. It reads like 'dont worry ladies, you might be fun and interesting now but youll find a boring dude and settle down'

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

yeah i could never find a reading of kiki that wasn't really old-man conservative which keeps me from liking it much. even if its just about burnout its still framing that as a personal rite of passage which feels too cynical to me

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

it's telling that kiki's delivery service fanart always depicts her as a witch. I think most people just kind of ignore that part of the ending

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

the english dub also changes the ending, so that she can hear jiji speaking again

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Isn't her mom like a potion-brewing herbal witch or something? I kinda figured Jiji not talking was about her "growing up" in the sense of not needing to project some of her thinking onto her cat, not that it was her losing her witch powers (still hosed up though, let Jiji talk). i thought it was like, witches go off on their own to find their calling in life; her mom found her calling as a potion witch or whatever, and kiki found her calling as a flying delivery witch in a bustling town

if i missed out on some of the ending it might've been bc my friends were absolutely traumatized by jiji not talking any more so we might've missed it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
she doesn't stop being a witch in the ending, but the whole power-block subplot and her and jiji growing apart are introduced by miyazaki (not in the books). i find the jiji thing rather obnoxious as a "well we must outgrow our childishness and become Independent Adults", it reminds me of how the same thing plays out in His Darkest Materials, also by an old dude who starts off with a really interesting story about fighting church as an institution and ingrown bigotries that eventually ends up at "well, being a headstrong and independent protag was fun, but you've had your first period so now its time to think about boys and settling down"