Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Dragon Age: Inquisition is 70% off right now. I liked Origins a lot, but couldn't stand DA2, so I'm torn. I've read here that it has one billion hours of content, but also that you shouldn't bother with most of it, C/D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Hard confirm there. The game is huge, but lots of it is also very boring and not worth doing. FWIW, just the parts that are good and worth doing are still enough to make two regular games from.

It also purportedly has some of the best DLC in the series, but I got burned out long before I reached it.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Phlegmish posted:

Dragon Age: Inquisition is 70% off right now. I liked Origins a lot, but couldn't stand DA2, so I'm torn. I've read here that it has one billion hours of content, but also that you shouldn't bother with most of it, C/D

I liked it; in a lot of ways it feels like a single player MMO at times, but as long as you play it with a willingness to skip side content if you don't feel like doing it, it's fine.

Like one of the big things that catches first-time players is that the first open world zone you get to probably has like 10 hours of sidequest in it that you can do if you want to, but you do not have to do it and really shouldn't, because you'll get bored, you can just tick off the critical path objectives and move on to the next thing then come back later if you feel like it.

I assume that at 70% off it's extremely cheap and is worth a try at that price.

Cardiovorax posted:

It also purportedly has some of the best DLC in the series, but I got burned out long before I reached it.

I've only played trespasser, and that was really good (and also the real ending of the game, or at least an important epilogue to set up the next one, if it ever actually comes out). Never got around to playing the others though.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Alright, thanks guys. €11.99 really isn't a lot, I might as well give it a go. The game was released in 2014, so I should be able to get a decent framerate with my GTX 1070/i-6700k.

e: calling it now, I will insist on doing all of the side content anyway, leading to me getting burned out before I'm 10% through the main quest

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Yeah, that's more than enough to run the game on maxed everything, speaking from personal experience with the same card.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Phlegmish posted:

Alright, thanks guys. €11.99 really isn't a lot, I might as well give it a go. The game was released in 2014, so I should be able to get a decent framerate with my GTX 1070/i-6700k.

e: calling it now, I will insist on doing all of the side content anyway, leading to me getting burned out before I'm 10% through the main quest

I think I managed 60fps on a worse card than that so yeah you should have nothing to worry about.

If nothing else, make sure you leave the hinterlands the moment you start to get bored, because there really is quite a lot of optional stuff to do there, and you'll be doing yourself a disservice if you burn yourself out on doing it before seeing the rest of the game and getting burnt out on that instead

if you liked origins I think you'll manage to get at least $15 worth of fun out of inquisition, I don't think anything in there is significantly worse than the deep roads

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
That Dragon Age game is Bioware right?

Is the romance crap better or even more heinously bad than in Origins?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Antigravitas posted:

Absolutely just as heinously bad in every sense, but that's practically part of the entertainment at this point. You do it just to groan at it.

Orv
May 4, 2011
You can also just, ya know, not do it at all.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yeah as long as there's plenty of choice, including celibacy, I don't mind the romance thing. I'll probably start out rolling my eyes at the whole thing, and five hours later I'm grinding for whatever inane gift my waifu needs to get the relationship meter up

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

It's about the same caliber as the rest of the bioware franchise probably but you do not have to do it

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Man what the gently caress I'm reinstalling Dragon Age Inquisition what did you bastards do.

Fake edit: But NOT because of the romance crap <:mad:>

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Two hours later, explosivo was spotted savescumming so he could pick all the dialog options that gave the best relationship bonus

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

explosivo posted:

Man what the gently caress I'm reinstalling Dragon Age Inquisition what did you bastards do.

Fake edit: But NOT because of the romance crap <:mad:>

Every time the impulse to reinstall hits me, my mind tries to guilt me into doing the entire series (despite the Dragon Age Keep being a thing) and then I throw up my hands in resignation because I don't have the time nor actual inclination to replay 3 long-ish RPGs

Probably for the best imo

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Antigravitas posted:

Jeeze, so picky. You can bang an ox-man and a gay magician with a waxed mustache. What else do you want out of life?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

i've probably played nms on a monthly basis since release and it's just nice to play. yeah, combat is "shallow" in that you have a gun and point it at things, but it's not a game about combat. sure, there's inventory management when you're not playing on the difficulty setting that vastly increases inventory sizes and before you unlock your entire inventory. the planets get samey because for such a vast universe there's comparatively few building blocks, but joining in the community events lets you see planets inhabited by other players and the vast structures they often build there to be seen.

there's a grind for resources which you use to get more resources and for some reason this is bad because people's brains don't let them ignore collecting resources for no purpose - i haven't personally collected a single resource in well over a year except on a weekend where the community quest requires a cooking ingredient.

most of the time the game is just background to me listening to retrowave, and that's all i need it to be. i've only recently started building bases.

if you don't like inventory management or resource collection, download the save editor and unlock all your inventory slots, give yourself whatever resources you want, nobody's going to call you a cheater because it's not that kind of game. all the nms thread asks of you is neat screenshots.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
that ox man had some bangin titties.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Ghostlight posted:

most of the time the game is just background to me listening to retrowave, and that's all i need it to be.
Glad you're getting your money's worth out of it, but most people expect a bit more than that from a sixty dollar game.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Ghostlight posted:

i've probably played nms on a monthly basis since release and it's just nice to play. yeah, combat is "shallow" in that you have a gun and point it at things, but it's not a game about combat. sure, there's inventory management when you're not playing on the difficulty setting that vastly increases inventory sizes and before you unlock your entire inventory. the planets get samey because for such a vast universe there's comparatively few building blocks, but joining in the community events lets you see planets inhabited by other players and the vast structures they often build there to be seen.

there's a grind for resources which you use to get more resources and for some reason this is bad because people's brains don't let them ignore collecting resources for no purpose - i haven't personally collected a single resource in well over a year except on a weekend where the community quest requires a cooking ingredient.

most of the time the game is just background to me listening to retrowave, and that's all i need it to be. i've only recently started building bases.

if you don't like inventory management or resource collection, download the save editor and unlock all your inventory slots, give yourself whatever resources you want, nobody's going to call you a cheater because it's not that kind of game. all the nms thread asks of you is neat screenshots.

Yeah, this is about it for me. Eventually you get to a spot where you are making basically infinite credits and you can either buy or refine whatever resources you may need in huge amounts. Or you have a mine somewhere pumping out 9999 of whatever it is you may possibly want every three hours. The whole resource grind thing gets non-existent pretty quick.

Then it just becomes a game of like try to find the perfect beach planet to build an awesome deck on, or try to do the dumb crafting trade goods just to prove you can, or try to find the perfect looking ship, or just jump around planets in your big dumb mech. It's all very chill and I end up jumping into it a few times a week just to relax. It's also pretty drat cool in VR.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
The only thing satisfying about NMS was melee cancel jetpacking and they patched it out.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
My long national nightmare is over. I beat Cuphead. Steam says it took me 38.2 hours but you can probably subtract 5 or so from that for when I had the game alt-tabbed. I am so bad at side-scrollers. :negative:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
988 deaths. :negative: :negative:

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Re: Inquisition, people telling you not to get bogged down in the Hinterlands are correct, but the advice doesn't go far enough. Overly long zones filled with poo poo that doesn't matter is a problem that doesn't stop there, and if you have completionist tendencies, you should probably just skip it right now before you get stuck doing a bunch of poo poo you'll regret like I did. There's a short zone pretty early on that might give the impression that the game streamlines as it goes on, but it really doesn't.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, it was probably not stating strongly enough just how much of that game is skippable. An average playthrough of just the main story clocks in at almost 50 hours already; a typical completionist playthrough at over 120 hours. You can easily skip two thirds of the content in this game and not be missing out on much of anything. Dragon Age Inquisition is a crazy long and expansive game. If you feel bored by what you're currently doing and it isn't explicitly a main quest, then just abandoning it then and there and finding something else to do is the recommended approach by practically everyone who has played the game. There will always be more to do.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost
I have burned out before finishing a single Dragon Age game. I've never felt any attachment to the setting, and none of them have gameplay that I find interesting enough to make me want to play them more than a few hours.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
What is annoying though is that skippable stuff does unlock cool content sometimes. Never worth the effort/time involved, but I liked the dwarf art history poo poo but gently caress having to go hunt down slabs in areas you already loving scoured top to bottom three times. IIRC a lot of it was also tied to your ~fortress powah~ and I gots to have me the best possible fortress in any fortress-manager RPG campaign. I have completionism disease, the bad kind where I get so bogged down in it I will just never complete the game, and thus, never get the intended full completion. It's not on my Steam so I can't tell how long it all took me, 200+ for sure and I can't remember if I ever gave up the endless timesink content or just filled it in. I do remember beating it because my PC had a face you couldn't forget and the dramatic moments were always the best with its face-escaping teeth and all. It was satisfying to see everyone's perfect ending but I think the game itself should be hard-pass for the type of person to collect every jiggy in Banjo Kazooie. That or just commit to it and know its a badly balanced time/reward split coming your way.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
The reason DA3 was terrible is because it did the collectathon poo poo in the most boring, lazy, time-wasting way possible and most of the maps were huge, lazy, copy/pasted MMO environments with nothing interesting in them.

I finished it but man, DA3 really fuckin sucked.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

My perspective on the whole 'choices matters through the series' gimmick has really cooled over time too. At first it sounded awesome, but the expectations that created are the biggest problem with ME3 imo, and in Dragon Age it just gave me FOMO and made me feel obligated to play everything, and there have been a number of retcons if players picked the options that were inconvenient for the continuing story anyway. In terms of making the best games (as opposed to selling the most copies), I really think the best thing they could do for DA4 (beyond not making it a lovely single player MMO, though the alternative is probably games as a service garbage) is say they're establishing a new baseline and not tracking choices anymore.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Sep 4, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I wonder how much that whole Deep And Meaningful Choices gimmick ever really mattered to the people playing Bioware games. As a whole, I mean, instead of just a very vocal minority. I've never really seen anyone care all that much or act like they were very invested in it. Personally, the Bioware game craze kind of passed me by entirely, so I have no strong feelings about it at all.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
My thoughts on Bioware :

I only care about "choice" is if being evil and/or an rear end in a top hat is just as good and satisfying as being good.

Mass Effect was easily the best original sci-fi IP in the history of gaming, although slutty space elves were a mistake and they poo poo it up as they went along.

Player-selection romance is a universally terrible concept. If you want characters to have established relationships for story purposes, knock yourself out.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

MarcusSA posted:

Mobile Eve is really fuckin good FWIW. They took out almost all the bullshit and streamlined it.

They even managed to keep the desktop-grade drama, on mobile!

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

My best memory of DA:I was talking with my friends a few months after. I had stopped playing the game just before what I thought was the halfway point, where a big climactic attack was happening. Then this conversation happened.

Me: The game is just too long so I stopped but I played about 30 hours.

Friend: Yeah, I finished it but I get you. At least there were some nice mounts!

Me: .......mounts...??????

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Cardiovorax posted:

I wonder how much that whole Deep And Meaningful Choices gimmick ever really mattered to the people playing Bioware games. As a whole, I mean, instead of just a very vocal minority. I've never really seen anyone care all that much or act like they were very invested in it. Personally, the Bioware game craze kind of passed me by entirely, so I have no strong feelings about it at all.

I genuinely love choice and consequence in narrative games. I’ve never played the dragon age franchise. The reality of how little reactivity there is in Mass Effect compared to Alpha Protocol is damning.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Artelier posted:

Me: .......mounts...??????
I swear, I've never even heard of that before. It really says something that two people can have played 20+ hours of that game and still feel that way, lol.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

god lol the mounts

barely faster than going on foot, and you can't do combat or interact with anything while riding them

they suck

e: also no companion banter

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Sep 4, 2020

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Cardiovorax posted:

Glad you're getting your money's worth out of it, but most people expect a bit more than that from a sixty dollar game.
you're posting this in a thread with a running joke about people not even playing the games they buy.

K8.0 posted:

The only thing satisfying about NMS was melee cancel jetpacking and they patched it out.
it's very much still in game.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Ghostlight posted:

you're posting this in a thread with a running joke about people not even playing the games they buy.
:shrug: Doesn't mean it's wrong.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Cardiovorax posted:

yeah exactly, theres not a SINGLE tower to climb and NO tailing missiosn this is a fake game

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Alright tentative review, Ultrakill is exactly the right kind of fast loud and stupid and I like it. :blastu:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

K8.0 posted:

Mass Effect was easily the best original sci-fi IP in the history of gaming, although slutty space elves were a mistake and they poo poo it up as they went along.

You couldn’t be more wrong. Star Control 2 exists.