Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

What’s the point of founding a cadet branch?

Lets you become Dynasty head again, provided that you are stronger than the current head.
There's also some bonuses like the Witch Coven, that only a house head can apply.

e: you become House Head of the new cadet branch as well, of course.
I've complained before that it's weirdly roundabout.

SubNat fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Sep 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

I hope they add more involved things with friends and lovers in future patches and DLC.

Like as the King of Ireland I'm banging the (reigning) Queen of Scotland. Despite being friends and lovers, having +100 relations, and having a couple bastards together, there's not much more to do there with the relationship. It'd be great if you could spin something like that into an alliance, or even a religious conversation (she's Cathar).

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Sep 4, 2020

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Verus posted:

People keep saying the UI is better, but I seriously have no idea what is supposed to be better about it. It's basically a sidegrade from CK2, and a downgrade in a lot of cases.

I feel like it was vastly better when I wasn't playing with it. Now that I am, I can see where improvement is needed/where there are things I miss from CK2.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Important characters like your spouse or hier should really not be made knights by default. If you don't remember to go in and remove them as knights, there's a decent chance that they'll just get themselves killed.

Anyway, rip my husband who was fighting in a battle despite his 5 prowess for some reason.

edit: I do like how my compassionate philosopher of a character only got one (1) point of stress from her husband dying though lmao

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Sep 4, 2020

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Anyone figured out how to pan the dynasty tree on a Mac? I don’t have a middle mouse button unless I play on my “game” pc bleh.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Starting as Rhodri the Great in Gwynedd has been a lot of fun. Thanks to an early decision to marry my heir to the daughter of Charles the Bald, I managed to unite Wales and the Isle of Mann and hold off the Vikings. The problem is, Rhodri starts with a whole lot of sons, and they are all ambitious assholes. I thought it wouldn't be a big problem afterward, I could find a way to control at least enough of them to prevent a rebellion.

Nope. After King Rhodri died, I quickly learned my new character Anarawd had tried and failed to murder most of his siblings at one point. Oops. They loving hated him, -100s across the board. They immediately started a faction to put their unlanded sister on the throne. Anarawd had only one county to levy troops from. Not enough money for mercs. I knew I was hosed with only 20 months until the ultimatum.

Fortunately, the Vikings then invaded Cornwall. The ruler of Cornwall was married to the same sister who was planning to usurp me. After answering their call to arms, I forced Anarawd's brothers to be knights and sent them into battle against a slightly larger force. Two very narrow victories later, every last knight in my army had died, including every single land-holding rear end in a top hat of a brother. Crisis averted!

Their heirs were mostly children so the faction disbanded immediately. By the time they are old enough to join factions, the massive opinion malus for attempted kinslaying will be gone. Or maybe they will be dead by then, who knows? Crusader Kings.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
So the serial killer event chain ended with...my son and heir being the killer. After having killed his mother and oldest son. And his traits are Compassionate, Humble, and Diligent.

Feels like some of the event flags and whatnot could use a polish pass.

EDIT: I mean, its great from a narrative and gameplay perspective because he has great stats while my next heir is an idiot. I legitimately don't know what to do with him. It would just flow a little better if he had like Sadistic or Lunatic or something.

1stGear fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Sep 4, 2020

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I hope they add more involved things with friends and lovers in future patches and DLC.

Like as the King of Ireland I'm banging the (reigning) Queen of Scotland. Despite being friends and lovers, having +100 relations, and having a couple bastards together, there's not much more to do there with the relationship. It'd be great if you could spin something like that into an alliance, or even a religious conversation (she's Cathar).

Being friends/lovers actually does have a bit of an effect beyond an opinion boost - friends/lovers can't join factions against you (same as if you had an alliance). So making friends with your strong vassals can give you a very stable realm. There is also usually an extra "friend/lover" boost to the AI's acceptance of certain diplomatic actions that is in addition to the bonus you'd already get for being +100. Befriending the Pope is a great way to get a shitload of claims because he will be way more likely to say yes to pretty much whatever you want to ask for.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I'm finding everything hard to keep track of. I have unified Ireland but the vassal/duchy structure, who's got what, what I need to be doing at any given time, it's overwhelming.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Never played one of these before and would like a few early tips. Since the tutorial ended and the Issues have been satisfied, I feel like I'm sitting and waiting for something to happen.

I want to be King of Ireland and my guy has good military stats so I should probably attack my neighbors. I'm currently Fabricating a Claim on one. That's what I need to do to attack?

How do other unification methods go? I send them gifts so they like me and then just pick the option to make them a Vassal and they maybe give in?

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

As someone who never really got into CKII, I feel like the UI does a a far better job of guiding you towards roleplaying decisions and away from impersonal grand strategy decisions far better than in CKII.

I've had to unlearn my Total War instincts, where monarchs are mostly interchangeable and their personalities are inevitably subsumed beneath my own impersonal grand strategy goals. I stuck with Munster after the tutorial and when my first king died, his son was already old and he died after adding just one more earldom to the kingdom. Now in the third generation it's clear that direct control over all the earldoms in the kingdom isn't possible the way I might like, and I actually need to work to keep them in line of I ever want to have a truly united Ireland. The UI makes it very clear that one earldom that my ruler once controlled directly is now held by my second cousin, so it's getting further away from my ruler with each generation. I appreciate how obvious it is now because I'm a huge dumbass and if I have to dig into the family tree to learn that one vassal is my cousin (which I seem to recall being the case in CKII), I'm much more likely to just get frustrated and give up. It encourages me to basically stop and reassess the situation (and what my goals ought to be) with each generation, which is way more fun and makes it easier to be halfway decent at the game.

KingKapalone posted:

Never played one of these before and would like a few early tips. Since the tutorial ended and the Issues have been satisfied, I feel like I'm sitting and waiting for something to happen.

I want to be King of Ireland and my guy has good military stats so I should probably attack my neighbors. I'm currently Fabricating a Claim on one. That's what I need to do to attack?

How do other unification methods go? I send them gifts so they like me and then just pick the option to make them a Vassal and they maybe give in?

My noob perspective is that succession laws make it hard to grow through marriage early on, because a lot of land gets divided up when your ruler dies, and you can't often directly set up your heir to inherit a rival's titles. Marriages are great for forming alliances though, and then gobbling up land at least for a generation. You might be able to hold on to most or all of it when you die, albeit indirectly. Eventually you can unlock more stable succession laws, but early on, conquest is either straightforward or sustainable long-term, just not both.

Cognac McCarthy fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Sep 4, 2020

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

How do you make a tooltip not disappear when you try to hover over it? I want to read what the modifiers will be for different event choices.

e: Oh, you just hover over it until it "locks in" and the border changes. Neat

Mantis42 fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Sep 4, 2020

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

Cognac McCarthy posted:

As someone who never really got into CKII, I feel like the UI does a a far better job of guiding you towards roleplaying decisions and away from impersonal grand strategy decisions far better than in CKII.

I've had to unlearn my Total War instincts, where monarchs are mostly interchangeable and their personalities are inevitably subsumed beneath my own impersonal grand strategy goals. I stuck with Munster after the tutorial and when my first king died, his son was already old and he died after adding just one more earldom to the kingdom. Now in the third generation it's clear that direct control over all the earldoms in the kingdom isn't possible the way I might like, and I actually need to work to keep them in line of I ever want to have a truly united Ireland. The UI makes it very clear that one earldom that my ruler once controlled directly is now held by my second cousin, so it's getting further away from my ruler with each generation. I appreciate how obvious it is now because I'm a huge dumbass and if I have to dig into the family tree to learn that one vassal is my cousin (which I seem to recall being the case in CKII), I'm much more likely to just get frustrated and give up. It encourages me to basically stop and reassess the situation (and what my goals ought to be) with each generation, which is way more fun and makes it easier to be halfway decent at the game.

My noob perspective is that succession laws make it hard to grow through marriage early on, because a lot of land gets divided up when your ruler dies, and you can't often directly set up your heir to inherit a rival's titles. Marriages are great for forming alliances though, and then gobbling up land at least for a generation. You might be able to hold on to most or all of it when you die, albeit indirectly. Eventually you can unlock more stable succession laws, but early on, conquest is either straightforward or sustainable long-term, just not both.

So I got the claim and won the war to get the county. Now I just do it again for the next one over? Doesn't seem like there's much else to do while waiting for the claim to come in.

I thought maybe I could convince the mayors that don't like the Earl to like me and not him? Not sure if that works somehow.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Mantis42 posted:

How do you make a tooltip not disappear when you try to hover over it? I want to read what the modifiers will be for different event choices.

By default you need to leave a tooltip open for like 5 seconds for it to stay open when you hover over it. You'll notice a slightly darker blue color filling up from the bottom when a tooltip opens. When it fills all the way up, you can hover over it without it disappearing. You can also change it so middle mouse clicking will pin a tip open, I think

KingKapalone posted:

So I got the claim and won the war to get the county. Now I just do it again for the next one over? Doesn't seem like there's much else to do while waiting for the claim to come in.

That's the most straightforward way of expanding your personal rule, but after a generation or two you might need to re-assert your claims as relatives inherit them and don't respect the original ruler's heirs (i.e. you).

quote:

I thought maybe I could convince the mayors that don't like the Earl to like me and not him? Not sure if that works somehow.
I think it's just hard to get people on board with that kind of thing, but under the right circumstances it can work

Cognac McCarthy fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Sep 4, 2020

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
So dynasty head succession follows primogeniture rules and don't xare about who actually succeded? Thats really dumb

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

I'm playing as Matilda of Tuscany in the 1066 start. A few years later, there's an OPM Empire of Italia, which consists of just the county of Verona. It's independent from the HRE.

Looking at history, it was created by the Emperor in 1071, and inherited by his sister when he died on the same day he created it. It got destroyed when I conquered the county.

Bug or "that's CK3!" ?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Party In My Diapee posted:

So dynasty head succession follows primogeniture rules and don't xare about who actually succeded? Thats really dumb

House head does, dynasty head passes to whoever is the most powerful house head at the time of the previous dynasty head's death. I think house head's succession rules are specifically based on your general realm succession laws, so if you have title specific ones like the various cultural elective variants you can adopt like Tanistry, you'll follow the elected character (because it's your primary title), but the house head will still be handed off to the first eligible kid.

I'm not sure how it behaves with seniority succession when that's set to your realm law, I haven't tried that out.

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit
I hope one of the DLCs does more with religious syncreticism especially around conversions. If I'm Norse and don't quite get Christianity, well, I'm used to sacrifices. Drinking the blood and eating the body is a little weird but if that's what the Pope in Rome demands, who am I to disagree? If I'm a Christian next to Muslims and they keep handing me my rear end in combat maybe I'll decided that God is angry and I need to destroy all the graven images. Or maybe I'll decide that all my generals are drunken pieces of poo poo so we'll prohibit alcohol instead. Or maybe we just need more bodies so it's time for more wives. Ancestor worship vs veneration of the saints? Chabuduo. A cool mechanic here would be "minor" vs "major" heresies that depend on favor with the religious head, dread, secular power, time and divergence would be awesome. The crazy Duke of Anjou wants to start eating people at Mass, well, he's getting excommunicated. But when the newly converted King of Norway does it, well, that's just a misunderstanding of the finer points of theology and not something worth getting excited about. Plus the last person who tried to talk to him about it ended up on the altar for Mass. Those weird mendicants are Waldensian heretics but these weird mendicants are faithful Franciscans.

Also there needs to be an esoteric order of Dagon that escalates the scaly trait to Innsmouth.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Question about Vassals: If your current character eats it, will the vassals of the old character continue to serve the new one?

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.
This motherfucker right here just started the Crusades. I have no idea how.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
the family line mechanism in this game is fantastic, that is all. They fixed almost every complaint I had about CK2. Only complaint is that the AI military is much smarter, but they run away way too much, the land army micromanagement is kinda annoying

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

oxsnard posted:

the family line mechanism in this game is fantastic, that is all. They fixed almost every complaint I had about CK2. Only complaint is that the AI military is much smarter, but they run away way too much, the land army micromanagement is kinda annoying

I like to imagine one army chasing another army as Yakkety Sax plays

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Incelshok Na posted:

I hope one of the DLCs does more with religious syncreticism especially around conversions. If I'm Norse and don't quite get Christianity, well, I'm used to sacrifices. Drinking the blood and eating the body is a little weird but if that's what the Pope in Rome demands, who am I to disagree? If I'm a Christian next to Muslims and they keep handing me my rear end in combat maybe I'll decided that God is angry and I need to destroy all the graven images. Or maybe I'll decide that all my generals are drunken pieces of poo poo so we'll prohibit alcohol instead. Or maybe we just need more bodies so it's time for more wives. Ancestor worship vs veneration of the saints? Chabuduo. A cool mechanic here would be "minor" vs "major" heresies that depend on favor with the religious head, dread, secular power, time and divergence would be awesome. The crazy Duke of Anjou wants to start eating people at Mass, well, he's getting excommunicated. But when the newly converted King of Norway does it, well, that's just a misunderstanding of the finer points of theology and not something worth getting excited about. Plus the last person who tried to talk to him about it ended up on the altar for Mass. Those weird mendicants are Waldensian heretics but these weird mendicants are faithful Franciscans.

Also there needs to be an esoteric order of Dagon that escalates the scaly trait to Innsmouth.

Yeah I think it would make sense to have "devolved" versions of religions show up instead of straight up heresies, where they are still mostly the same and recognize the same religious head, but being so far away from the Pope means that you don't quite have as much direct instruction on what a "good Christian" is supposed to be doing. This would probably need some kind of tweak to the religious system though since it would basically be another level below "faith" where you get like an offshoot faith instead of a brand new one in the same religion.

Unlucky7 posted:

Question about Vassals: If your current character eats it, will the vassals of the old character continue to serve the new one?

They will serve under whoever owns the titles above them, which usually is going to be your heir, but might not be because of partition. Vassals where you aren't their de jure liege but nobody else is either will go with your primary title.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Okay, another dumb question: I'm a Count level character in Gujarat. I'm trying to take over a nearby County that I have a claim on but for some reason whenever I go to Declare War it acts like I'm declaring war on my own liege?

Notice that I have the diplomacy screen open on the Thakur (Count) but the tooltip says I'm declaring war on the Maharaja (King). This isn't a separate realm - we're both vassals in the same Kingdom.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Unlucky7 posted:

I like to imagine one army chasing another army as Yakkety Sax plays

The martial perk that gives your armies +15% movement speed is really invaluable.

e: ^^^ I think higher crown authority forbids vassal infighting, that may be why?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Corbeau posted:

Wow, I went straight for camels (light cav variant) and they shredded levies in the pursuit phase. As in, twice as many casualties inflicted as during the actual battle. Which turned out to be crucial when they came back with bigger allies for another round.

So if you're having trouble killing armies, go get yourself some pursuit cav.

Yeah the African Thunderdome Countess gets brutal light cavalry too.

Mantis42 posted:

Okay, another dumb question: I'm a Count level character in Gujarat. I'm trying to take over a nearby County that I have a claim on but for some reason whenever I go to Declare War it acts like I'm declaring war on my own liege?

Notice that I have the diplomacy screen open on the Thakur (Count) but the tooltip says I'm declaring war on the Maharaja (King). This isn't a separate realm - we're both vassals in the same Kingdom.

Did you... click it and see what it proposes? I haven't had a liege yet (because when I got challenged for my throne by some nobody she chickened out when I accepted and was swole).

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Yes, it opens the regular DoW screen but for my Liege. The only thing I can think of is that he's a direct vassal of the King but I'm a vassal of a Duke who is in turn a vassal of the King. That kind of thing would work in CK2 but I guess it's jumping the line here?

e: Actually no, he has a different Duke liege and it still won't let me attack him! What nonsense!

Mantis42 fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Sep 4, 2020

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Wait a minute what in the gently caress, there's a stress meter next to the player character's head in the bottom left? Good lord that makes that poo poo easier

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Sep 4, 2020

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Dumb question: Are the in game achievements the same as the Steam achievements?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Are you not able to negotiate separate peaces if you're a junior member of a war?

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Are you not able to negotiate separate peaces if you're a junior member of a war?

Nope! Just like in CK2, wars appear to be all-or-nothing affairs.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
How on earth do I forbid myself from leading armies

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

I could use some help here. I've got a courtier with a useful unpressed claim, but I can't for the life of me understand how I press it. I can go to war against the current owner and use "Claim country", but that would just give me the county (which I could then pass on to the claimant, sure), but I want to press his claim and I don't understand how. There's no casus belli for "Press character X's claim to county Y".

Also, my rag-tag army was in dire need of some champions, so I sent the heralds out to invite mighty warriors to my realm. Got a couple of ok dudes, but one was far better than the others. 18 Prowess, Brave, Legendary Blademaster...and Bleeder/Haemophiliac? The slightest nick will endanger his life, you say? Guess he had no other option than to be that good.

E:

Tetramin posted:

My 3 learning ruler was invited to a feast by one of his vassals. Where the vassal carried on a long conversation dryly praising me on how much of a genius I am while my king was spilling soup on himself lol

This happened to me too and had me roaring with laughter. Straight out of Blackadder! The writing in this game is so good!

Freudian slippers fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Sep 4, 2020

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Bloody Pom posted:

The martial perk that gives your armies +15% movement speed is really invaluable.

I'm playing Matilda of Tuscany and going all in on diplomacy focus and it's making me really miss those martial perks.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Mister Olympus posted:

How on earth do I forbid myself from leading armies

When you've raised an army you can select it and then change the commander (in window at bottom left). Command seems to be sticky, the same general will be appointed next time you raise. But you need to replace them when they get killed and make sure you appoint non-you commanders whenever you split your army, too.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Has anyone in this thread experienced frequent crashing? I can't play for more than 10 minutes before I see my other monitors flicker and turn light gray and then the game crashes. Still happens even if I disable my other monitors and play on a single one. My system is easily powerful enough to play the game.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Mantis42 posted:

Yes, it opens the regular DoW screen but for my Liege. The only thing I can think of is that he's a direct vassal of the King but I'm a vassal of a Duke who is in turn a vassal of the King. That kind of thing would work in CK2 but I guess it's jumping the line here?

My vassals have absolutely gotten in slapfights with each other while I'm busy expanding the Hausa proto-empire, so I dunno what's up.

Gobblecoque posted:

I'm playing Matilda of Tuscany and going all in on diplomacy focus and it's making me really miss those martial perks.

Martial, stewardship, diplomacy, and learning are all pretty powerful and feel like the right choice, so I assume intrigue is as well - although one goon made a plausible pitch for dipping into the early trees for various different focuses before settling in.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Oh dear me posted:

When you've raised an army you can select it and then change the commander (in window at bottom left). Command seems to be sticky, the same general will be appointed next time you raise. But you need to replace them when they get killed and make sure you appoint non-you commanders whenever you split your army, too.

But there's no little box to check that permanently stops it for yourself, like in CK2?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

omg Shyness is the worst

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Dread feels like it might be a little overpowered, especially if you're Zealous and can keep it perma-capped just by taking two points in Intrigue and then holy warring a bunch.